Proposal: NJ/EDM

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Don't listen to posters who hate on Broberg. He has been logging top minutes in the AHL and doing extremely well. It's better that he gets those minutes an limited time with the big club right now. Count on him being an NHL regular after trade deadline or by next season at the latest.
To add to this the OP proposal would be very short sited on the Oilers part to even consider it.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
Philip Broberg for Tyler Toffoli

Oilers get another scoring winger and the Devils get some more depth on defense. Retention could be done on Toffoli as well as it would be needed. Or NJ could take an expiring contract to offset the cost.

Who adds, and what do they add?
You have a good foundation for deal but I think Broberg is getting a real shot to play with Oilers next year. I do like the idea of Toffoli on Oilers slotting next to Dri but I cant envision A deal could be made. Both teams ideally are looking to shred some cap.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
You have a good foundation for deal but I think Broberg is getting a real shot to play with Oilers next year. I do like the idea of Toffoli on Oilers slotting next to Dri but I cant envision A deal could be made. Both teams ideally are looking to shred some cap.
Devils have space with Hamilton being done for the season, but it sounds like Broberg isn't going anywhere anymore.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

If Kulack gets moved Broberg could be with the big club as early as March.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Sorry I was more thinking beyond this season. From what I read Devils are trying to get creative with deal so they can possibly trade for goalie.
I mean ya, they aren’t excited about spending over 6 million on a goalie but it probably won’t deter them from getting some depth

Reactions: Dr Awesome

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Value is good for both sides but doesn't fit NJ's need and Holland isn't trading Broberg or 1st for a rental.
Something else would need to be added to the deal not make it just 'Brobeg for rental'.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
If the Oilers are giving up a 1st or Broberg it will be for Guentzel; not Tofolli.
Who knows what the Oilers needs will be by the deadline. The Kane-Draisaitl-Perry line looked like a perfect fit last night

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Devils have space with Hamilton being done for the season, but it sounds like Broberg isn't going anywhere anymore.
I've always been a big fan of Toffoli, but with the addition of Perry, I think we need someone a bit fleeter of foot.

If we're moving Broberg I'd also like someone with a bit more control, or in a tier like Guentzel.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
What type of player is Broberg anyway? The type of Defenseman the Devils need is one that is good winning board battles, Clearing the crease, and a good 1st pass. If he's not that and just some offensive defenseman who's a liability in his own end then not interested

Broberg was drafted for his two-way ability and skating... he's been very effective rushing the puck at lower levels of play, and (as you would hope) very cautious, almost too deferring, at the NHL level. He is a very strong skater though.

I haven't seen a lot of offensive wizardry... I do see a guy who (while still inexperienced) cares about his own zone and is working on having an effective stick (not bruising type). It's still a bit early to see which way his NHL-trajectory goes, but #2 upside and middle pair downside is probably fair. As others have said he has been our best player in the AHL this season and has been described by several well connected scouts/bloggers as "NHL caliber right now".

As others have said. Broberg isn't available for a rental... he's too important in helping us shed salary on D as early as this deadline, but certainly by next year.

Reactions: Xirik

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This trade seems to be predicated on the Devils being sellers at the deadline. Since it was made, NJ has gone 2-0-1 and given up 3 goals in regulation over that span after simplifying their defensive zone coverage. Devils are now 2 points outside of the wild card and 6 points back of Philly for 3rd in the division with 2 games in hand and a head-to-head matchup coming up on Saturday. Seems more likely they will be buyers versus sellers at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad