Jack Edwards announces he will retire after this season

Sep 19, 2008
Edwards was top tier back when he called national games for ESPN and HDNet. Almost as good as Thorne tbh.
he used to call world cup games. he was a solid guy and watching his farewell yesterday (didn't know he retired after game 5) he was always a very emotional story teller. he was the king of drama and his departure was as eloquent as one would expect.

Edwards had a way with the spoken word. sometimes it made people upset as a opposing fan but he was very well spoken especially when he would call out other players

"Hamrick goes down, as if shot. get up!"

There won't be many as theatrical as him from now on.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
he used to call world cup games. he was a solid guy and watching his farewell yesterday (didn't know he retired after game 5) he was always a very emotional story teller. he was the king of drama and his departure was as eloquent as one would expect.

Edwards had a way with the spoken word. sometimes it made people upset as a opposing fan but he was very well spoken especially when he would call out other players

"Hamrick goes down, as if shot. get up!"

There won't be many as theatrical as him from now on.

Where, shockingly, he was viewed to be to much of a homer…

He’s always been about pushing his narrative rather than objectivity…

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Where, shockingly, he was viewed to be to much of a homer…

He’s always been about pushing his narrative rather than objectivity…

It's called showing true passion for the sport they're calling the play for, something a lot of broadcasters should take lessons on. If you ever hear him when the other team scores or does something great, he shows equal excitement, like when the Leafs went up 4-1 in the 3rd period of the 2013 playoffs. " And the Leafs are running the Bruins out of their own building!! "

It was refreshing to hear PK Subban's take on Jack and his retirement. Subban said he still watches clips of that Boston/Montreal rivalry and that he has a lot of respect for him. " it was an honor to be bashed by Jack Edwards ".

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
It's called showing true passion for the sport they're calling the play for, something a lot of broadcasters should take lessons on. If you ever hear him when the other team scores or does something great, he shows equal excitement, like when the Leafs went up 4-1 in the 3rd period of the 2013 playoffs. " And the Leafs are running the Bruins out of their own building!! "

It was refreshing to hear PK Subban's take on Jack and his retirement. Subban said he still watches clips of that Boston/Montreal rivalry and that he has a lot of respect for him. " it was an honor to be bashed by Jack Edwards ".
You can show passion without being an absolute fool…

It’s a shame Edwards never figured out how

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Loved listening to him call the game. As someone with a severe hearing impairment, he was the only commentator I could completely understand. He put a lot of power in the consonants and enunciated well which helped a lot. Commentated with tons of passion and with a lot of appreciation for the opposing teams, despite his obvious homerism. Great career.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
He was a dick, a homer, and pissed you off when you had to listen to him. That means he was doing his job. Too many of these announcers are just plain vanilla and boring.

Hope he gets better.
Funny. I felt the exact way about RJ. He was a huge homer and I found his voice just... INCREDIBLY grating, like the guy was constantly drowning his own phlegm. But II won't deny Jearnette knew his stuff and if he was a good home team PBP guy but I hated listening to him.

Reactions: Beerz

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I also remember when a Bruin player ran a flyer player into the boards, and the flyer fans were looking for a call, and edwards turned into an evil boss from an old cartoon and started laughing hysterically.
I remember that game. it was the same team who that same year had hit Bergeron in the numbers into the boards and ended his season with a concussion. I think it was even the same guy, Dustin Brown.

I'm almost positive it was Lucic who took it upon himself to remind both Brown personally and the Flyers in general, not to deliberately injure our stars, and Jack was enjoying every minute of it.

the Bruins were always grouchy when someone messed with Patty B. He was so loved in that locker room. I think that was definitely part of Jack's reaction too. We're just counting down until we can raise #37 over here and to have his season end with a cheapshot was absolutely enraging. Which is what Jack was tapping into.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Jack Edwards play calling his team choking a 3 - 0 lead in a series where the bruins choked a 3 - 0 series (2:58)

I agree with you in general but that was not a choke. It was incredibly disappointing, but it was not a chokejob. the Bruins just took one injury too many.

Boston had lost Savard that year to a flying elbow by Cooke. and Bergeron was recovering from post concussion syndrome. As a result they had literally the least productive offense in the entire NHL. Even being in the second round of the playoffs was something of a minor miracle and that miracle was taking place mostly on the strength of David Krejci who was our only remaining effective centerman. It was so bad that we were starting BLAKE WHEELER at center at times just to have something resembling depth.

And then in the middle of game 3, with the team about to go up 3-0, a Flyers player (miiight have been Hartnell?) hits Krejci awkwardly and he breaks his wrist. Now our top 2 centers are a crippled Bergeron and freaking Vladimir Sobotka who wasn't even dressing regularly 2 months ago. Bergeron is doing his best but he's still dealing with aftereffects from the season ending concussion he took the year prior, he's ineffective, and now we've totally lost our last remaining offensive pointguard. We have no centers. And even before we lost our centers our offense was the worst in the league.

Oh, and Tim Thomas was hurt that year too, which is why in the video, you see Rask playing.

Frankly with the flaws and issues that team had it was a miracle that they were ever there, much less had a 3-0 series lead to blow. Without Krejci and with no qualified centers to replace him, we just didn't have enough juice to finish the series.

i don't call it a choke when a team gets mauled by attrition. A choke is when the pieces are there and the team can't get it done, not when you're trotting out Sobotka for top 6 minutes.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
This is the easily-forgotten context of Edwards’ rants regarding the Habs. The Habs had a run of years in the late 00s and early 10s where they became well known for diving, with guys like Ribeiro and Subban pulling some all-time ridiculous stunts. That time period also happened to coincide with a run of Montreal/Boston playoff series, including three 7-game series, where Montreal owned the Bruins and then the script flipped to Bruins dominance. Some of Edwards’ most unhinged moments came at the climax of that rivalry, when the Bruins were finally taking it to the Habs after years of frustration.
yes, that series happened IIRC in the same season as the Lucic-Komisarek fight which is often seen as the turning point. Lucic more or less ended Komisarek's career in a single fistfight, the league entirely stopped taking him seriously and Komisarek knew it and he could never do anything about it.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Let me guess @Fenway didn’t include a source? I respect what Fenway has done for HFBoards, but the man has been known to just throw things at the wall and hopes something sticks. I could make a list of his claims that were just blatant lies.
Dude, the man was in the business, it's up to him to tell what he did for a career, but let me just clue you in, he has the sources.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad