Proposal: NJ/EDM

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Philip Broberg for Tyler Toffoli

Oilers get another scoring winger and the Devils get some more depth on defense. Retention could be done on Toffoli as well as it would be needed. Or NJ could take an expiring contract to offset the cost.

Who adds, and what do they add?

Guelkey

Mar 7, 2008

Oilers get another scoring winger and the Devils get some more depth on defense. Retention could be done on Toffoli as well as it would be needed. Or NJ could take an expiring contract to offset the cost.

I wouldn't do that from a EDM perspective. If Broberg is traded would want a better player coming back.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I don't think New Jersey has thrown in the towel on their season yet. With Hughes back I am sure they hope they can go on a run.

Reactions: Czechboy

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I believe it's workable at the deadline.

Could NJ retain 50% and/or take back Janmark?
Devils can retain whatever and can acquire any cap dumps as long as they expire after this year.

That being said the team has decent defensive depth for next year if everyone is healthy. If they’re gonna trade Toffoli, it’s probably better to get assets that can be flipped for a good goalie. Or a decent one on a high contract, in which case cap space becomes important. I could see Broberg wanting a raise very quickly since he’s a high first round pick. Defensive depth is always good though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Devils can retain whatever and can acquire any cap dumps as long as they expire after this year.

That being said the team has decent defensive depth for next year if everyone is healthy. If they’re gonna trade Toffoli, it’s probably better to get assets that can be flipped for a good goalie. Or a decent one on a high contract, in which case cap space becomes important. I could see Broberg wanting a raise very quickly since he’s a high first round pick. Defensive depth is always good though.
I think at this stage in the game Broberg wants playing time more than he wants a big raise (and lack of playing time will keep his cost down for at least another year)

He's playing really well in the AHL and honestly I'd rather give up our first than trade him. I'd be trying to move Kulak in the offseason to open up a fulltime spot for Broberg. His agent was pissed he wasn't getting games but getting icetime was hard with Ekholm/Nurse/Kulak ahead of him and no injuries.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
What type of player is Broberg anyway? The type of Defenseman the Devils need is one that is good winning board battles, Clearing the crease, and a good 1st pass. If he's not that and just some offensive defenseman who's a liability in his own end then not interested

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

Personally I'd rather pay Broberg than give Toffoli an extension, I don't think Toffoli gets the Devils a goalie either. I guess they could get picks for him and hope someone wants them for a goalie.

Reactions: KovalchukFistPump

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Personally I'd rather pay Broberg than give Toffoli an extension, I don't think Toffoli gets the Devils a goalie either. I guess they could get picks for him and hope someone wants them for a goalie.
what make's you think Broberg is a fit for the Devils?

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

The problem is TT is a UFA in the off season and the oilers wont be able to keep him. If the oilers move Broberg it should be an Ekholm type deal

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The problem is TT is a UFA in the off season and the oilers wont be able to keep him. If the oilers move Broberg it should be an Ekholm type deal
That's fair

what make's you think Broberg is a fit for the Devils?
He's good enough to be in the NHL right now, should end up behind a solid middle pairing guy.
I think he'd be an upgrade on Bahl/Smith that shouldn't break the bank on his next deal.

Reactions: TFHockey

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I don't think New Jersey has thrown in the towel on their season yet. With Hughes back I am sure they hope they can go on a run.
Hughes can't keep the puck out the net, unless Fitz moves on a goalie, which I don't see him doing right now, the season is done for.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Hughes can't keep the puck out the net, unless Fitz moves on a goalie, which I don't see him doing right now, the season is done for.
It depends if they still think they can get a wildcard spot. Deadline is still a month a way, lots can change. The Oilers wouldn't trade Broberg for an upcoming UFA anyway.

Reactions: TFHockey

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It depends if they still think they can get a wildcard spot. Deadline is still a month a way, lots can change. The Oilers wouldn't trade Broberg for an upcoming UFA anyway.
For sure, this is based on the Devils continuing their win one lose one level of play.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

why would NJ do this? One guy is on a 37 goal pace and the other is a disappointing 2019 draft pick stuck in the AHL.

NJ rebuilding again? Aren't you in the playoff hunt?

Reactions: GreeningOil

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Don't listen to posters who hate on Broberg. He has been logging top minutes in the AHL and doing extremely well. It's better that he gets those minutes an limited time with the big club right now. Count on him being an NHL regular after trade deadline or by next season at the latest.

Reactions: McSuper

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
why would NJ do this? One guy is on a 37 goal pace and the other is a disappointing 2019 draft pick stuck in the AHL.

NJ rebuilding again? Aren't you in the playoff hunt?
Until Fitz gets a goalie that doesn't allow 3+ every night the playoffs are likely a long shot.
Not rebuilding to grab an NHL caliber defenseman stuck in the AHL for a guy they aren't going to re-sign. That's why the Devils would be looking for player to help next season, like Broberg instead of trading TT for draft picks like rebuilding team would.

• Haha
Reactions: dirtydanglez

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
No interest in another defenseman right now.
Our need is a goalie. Not sure if Toffoli is a match with a team that has a goalie available., but if I were to sell him closer to the deadline I would try to get a first even with another asset and/or retaining and then later swap that for a goalie.
We don’t need Broberg.

If Edmonton wants Toffoli it is going to be more of a Toffoli(50%), smith(6-7 depth D and good pk), and a 4-5th rounder for a first and maybe some salary for the remainder of the year.

Then swap the first etc for a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad