Nintendo Switch #5

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA

I loved this game when I was younger.

I am surprised by this announcement they didn’t even finish releasing the initial list of games they announced I think 1080 snowboarding is still to come. Excited to play it though I remember it being really hard and never beat it on N64.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Apparently Shigeru Miyamoto was in Vancouver during the riots.

Apparently wasn't interested in going back afterwards.

Relevent part starts at 12:07.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteWorrell

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's not the best mario game ever made, but my god was a desperately needed refresh for the 2D games.

Heavily inspired by SMW with the focus on level exploration rather than difficulty while giving the player a run for their money if they choose to seek out in the form of the bonus/secret world. IMO this is when 2D Mario is at its best.

Mario is a bit weird for me. Since Galaxy 1 i've had a hard time getting into those games. I thought Galaxy 2 was grossly overrated, 3D World did nothing for me (which to this day i can't quite figure out why) and while i liked what Odyssey brought to the table, i think it needs to be refined given most of the moons felt like "idk go find it it's buried in an unmarked part of dirt over there"

Idk if it's an age thing or i need Mario to do more.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I’m up to world 4 in the new Mario. It’s fun but not that challenging. Do the new worlds get more difficult?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Finally started playing Super Mario RPG, man I forgot how much fun this game is! Music is amazing.

Was worried it would be way too easy, but thankfully it is a tad challenging (though not hard).

They really need to come out with another one, same exact formula.

edit - Nevermind, once I got the 3rd star the game got INCREDIBLY easy. I don't know wtf happened. The Tower was literally the easiest thing ever, absolutely no skill at all.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I’m up to world 4 in the new Mario. It’s fun but not that challenging. Do the new worlds get more difficult?
For me, I felt the same way, and only a handful of levels (I think all optional) ended up satisfying my desire for some challenge by the end.

It does ramp up slightly, but not enough to change that feeling, IMO.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Just started Donkey Kong Country, Tropical Freeze and It Takes Two on the Switch

For a side scroller, and as somebody who likes to get every objective cleared, I’m finding it fairly difficult. It’s not Crash Bandicoot Trilogy difficult, but it’s close and I’ve only just reached the first boss battle

It Takes Two is just wonderful. Having so much fun playing this with my better half. While the story so far is super sad and at times uncomfortable, it’s just so different from any other game I’ve played.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Just started Donkey Kong Country, Tropical Freeze and It Takes Two on the Switch

For a side scroller, and as somebody who likes to get every objective cleared, I’m finding it fairly difficult. It’s not Crash Bandicoot Trilogy difficult, but it’s close and I’ve only just reached the first boss battle

It Takes Two is just wonderful. Having so much fun playing this with my better half. While the story so far is super sad and at times uncomfortable, it’s just so different from any other game I’ve played.
Good luck with the special levels. Some of them are pure madness.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Good luck with the special levels. Some of them are pure madness.
I still haven’t figured out the jumping. Sometimes it feels really…heavy? Sluggish? Hard to explain. Not sure if the original was the same way because I’ve never played any other DKC title, or if this is just a byproduct of the Switch port. The controls can be a bit clunky at times.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I still haven’t figured out the jumping. Sometimes it feels really…heavy? Sluggish? Hard to explain. Not sure if the original was the same way because I’ve never played any other DKC title, or if this is just a byproduct of the Switch port. The controls can be a bit clunky at times.
The DKC titles on SNES don't have that.

I think they made it feel that way on purpose to make you feel like you are controlling a heavy gorilla.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Finally started playing Super Mario RPG, man I forgot how much fun this game is! Music is amazing.

Was worried it would be way too easy, but thankfully it is a tad challenging (though not hard).

They really need to come out with another one, same exact formula.

edit - Nevermind, once I got the 3rd star the game got INCREDIBLY easy. I don't know wtf happened. The Tower was literally the easiest thing ever, absolutely no skill at all.
I don’t know why but I remember the SNES version being more difficult. I think I died once the entire game and that was fighting Culex. Wait until you get lazy shell weapon and armor. The games over at that point.

I ended up not equipping the armour because I couldn’t die.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t know why but I remember the SNES version being more difficult. I think I died once the entire game and that was fighting Culex. Wait until you get lazy shell weapon and armor. The games over at that point.

I ended up not equipping the armour because I couldn’t die.
I stopped putting new armor on too, and even weapons. I literally just have to pass most enemies because I dont want to level up :facepalm:

Reactions: GreytWun

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
If it's too much, Funky Mode grants you faster speed, more health, flight, and the chance to blow past those stages.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If it's too much, Funky Mode grants you faster speed, more health, flight, and the chance to blow past those stages.
One of my kids plays as Funky Kong and he loves it. I bought the game for him specifically because he could play as Funky Kong. For now I wanna stick to the regular gameplay and not use the easy way out. I did the same with Yoshi's Crafted World; kids used the permanent wings, I did not.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@Shareefruck & @guinness

Picked Disco Elysium back up after something like a month and a half hiatus. I forgot the simple controls and my character started to have a panic attack. And then I lost. :laugh:

At least in my new game I've got the necktie.

Hello again @Shareefruck and @guinness

I had the game on my crummy laptop but just picked it up for the Switch. Getting back into it... again.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Disco Elysium on the Switch was the poorest-running game I've ever played. So much stuttering and frame drops. And I play a shit ton of retro games so I'm not some guy who values performance all that highly in a game.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, it's really not a good port. should be avoided if you have access to alternatives (it's not the most well-optimized game to begin with, so putting it on the Switch is even more rough). But hey, however someone can play Disco Elysium, they should.

There are also more crashes and bugs than you would like to see.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad