Speculation: Nino seeking trade?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It just looks like a communication issue.

For me, it seems a little bit, like Cappy and Snow never talked to Nino, what his role is now in the AHL.

Snow said in one of the few comments he's made about the trade demand, that he sat with Nino and explained that they wanted him playing 20+ mins a game, in all situations and he'd get that icetime in the AHL.

Now, it was unclear if Snow had his sit down with Nino before or after the trade demand. But, either way, Nino should be reassured that he's considered to be an important building block for the franchise and he will get another chance at an nhl roster spot after injuries this season or in training camp next season.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Snow said in one of the few comments he's made about the trade demand, that he sat with Nino and explained that they wanted him playing 20+ mins a game, in all situations and he'd get that icetime in the AHL.

Now, it was unclear if Snow had his sit down with Nino before or after the trade demand. But, either way, Nino should be reassured that he's considered to be an important building block for the franchise and he will get another chance at an nhl roster spot after injuries this season or in training camp next season.

Not that I know for sure, but the impession being left is that Nino doesn't just wan't "a chance", he want's a top 6 roster spot given to him. That's my take.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Not that I know for sure, but the impession being left is that Nino doesn't just wan't "a chance", he want's a top 6 roster spot given to him. That's my take.

Had he been invited to camp I'd probably agree with you. Since he wasn't as a kid succeeding in the AHL, I think he's right to believe that he deserved a chance.

Oh well, I'm not too concerned about this. I believe Nino will eventually get his shot this year and will eventually stick. When that happens, I'm sure it will be water under the bridge.

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I don't think there are any NHL teams out there that are going to give him a top 6 roster spot unless some GM has back doored his agent for a trade.

I would say he was a bit insulted because he was BRI lead scorer but the Isles signed Aucoin and they promoted Ullstrom and Cazikas even though Nino is still younger. I think he has a legit gripe if he is being leaned on to keep BRI up, but I don't know if his entry contract is 2 way. Does anyone know.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don't think there are any NHL teams out there that are going to give him a top 6 roster spot unless some GM has back doored his agent for a trade.

I would say he was a bit insulted because he was BRI lead scorer but the Isles signed Aucoin and they promoted Ullstrom and Cazikas even though Nino is still younger. I think he has a legit gripe if he is being leaned on to keep BRI up, but I don't know if his entry contract is 2 way. Does anyone know.

Brock Nelson and Donovan are also team leaders, having strong seasons in Bridgeport.
Shouldn't they have demanded trades, asked why they weren't invited to the NYI camp too?

Nino makes $67,000 in the AHL this season. $90,000 if he hits his bonuses.
So, he's gone from $900,000 on the isles 4th line, down to probably $90,000 on the Sound Tigers 1st line.

http://capgeek.com/player/1887

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

Well be *****ed about last years line assignment which was 4th and some 3rd, so I have to assume he will want only top 6 if he is called up. Isn't that what it is about? he wouldn't want to be brought up and put bottom 6 after that was his complaint that it gave him no fair chance to succeed.
Now that he has cooled off in BPort (no points in last 6 games) i wonder if he will be happy with a bottom 6 call up?
I am hoping that thsi all turns out well, that Nino settles down and is a star winger for us for years to come. Most of that is on him, not on the Islanders to hand him a spot in the top 6 that he can not win or hold at this moment.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Nino makes $67,000 in the AHL this season. $90,000 if he hits his bonuses.
So, he's gone from $900,000 on the isles 4th line, down to probably $90,000 on the Sound Tigers 1st line.

http://capgeek.com/player/1887

And one can argue that the ONLY reason Nino made $900k last season was because Wang wanted his $3M cap hit. So, essentially, Nino should have been making a couple hundred bucks a week in juniors.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
it's almost funny that this story comes out and then the swiss miss decides to poop the bed in the minors. some adversity and he stops producing? in the minors? what would happen to him in the big boy league? this child is exactly where he belongs. he's proved it with his weak play since he created this mess by being a whiny *****.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
ANother Sound Tiger game, and another goose egg for Nino.

Since the lockout ended and Islander Training Camp Started (without Nino). The Sound Tigers have played 6 games including tonight.

Nino has now gone 6 straight games without a point

hmmmmmm

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I'm saying that because Nino was under contract to the isles, his agent should not have been discussing his availability with other teams personel.

And while I disliked Burke's public statements about landing Tavares, JT was at that time an undrafted prospect. I thought Burke was a blowhard, but not breaking rules by telling the press he was gonna try to trade up to land Tavares.

Recall that there was buzz from more than one sector for John to pull a Lindros and refuse to report to the Islanders. Burke tried to play off of that buzz to steal a pick with his typical BS story about "Everyone getting what they wanted in the (first) Pronger trade," like we wanted anything TO had to offer over Tavares. That's more than blowhard, and his sudden laryngitis told me Gary had a word with the ex-GM.

Hmm is right ITM. I don't watch BST games. I think you do. How's his effort level lately?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Last year, most everyone here was on Snow for having Nino up here. Claimed it was for cap reason, which was debunked. Now, he's in the AHL, where most of you say he belongs, but your still crapping on Snow, Wang and the org?

When other teams do it, its the right way. When the Red Wings do it, its the model way. When the Islanders do it, it sucks and is the display of a mickey mouse organization.

The double speak from people around here really pisses me off!

No double-speak from me my friend.

For the record...I am still NOT done being on Wang/Snow for having Nino sniff the NHL last year. He is finally where he should be developing in the AHL and he should stay there the entire year no matter how well he plays there.

I still believe Nino will be a good NHL player (I hope for the Isles and not another team) more because of his own character, smarts, and work-ethic, and much less because of how the Islanders have handled him.

As for the Red Wings doing it the model way....They sure as hell do it a lot better than the Isles. Please call me when the New York Islanders, UNDER WANG'S OWNERSHIP, sniff the Stanley Cup finals much less win multiple Cups. I'm less into process and 1000% into results...And the results for the Islanders UNDER WANG'S OWNERSHIP have been atrocious. It goes beyond the constant losing...It's how the team is run with moves that make you scratch your head at best and make you embarrassed to claim you're a fan at worst. The Red Wings are far from perfect, but they're New England Patriots of the NHL and the Islanders are the Buffalo Bills.

Wang has exactly zero clout because he's proven only one thing...That he can make your favorite hockey team MORE embarrassing to support. God bless us all for still having enough loyalty to support the Islanders despite the way Wang has run this team FOR OVER A DECADE NOW. I only wish there was a way to impeach a sports owner. I PROMISE you I would have started those proceedings years ago.

onesinceforty

Jun 24, 2006
Isn't it crazy ironic that Nino is the kid in the organization with "maturity issues"
and Kabanov is the one that continues to act like a professional and is always trying to say the right things, volunteer, do fan outreach, and work on his game without complaining????

I can't stand Nino now because of this. For all I saw last year he was Brett Lindros, The Chyzowski, and Chad whatever his name was. All can still be forgiven though if he gets his head unstuck.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
Watching the Vancouver game, Luongo is going no where, nobody is taking that contract (unless the Canucks agree to pay some off). He is playing like he wants to stay.

How about Nino for Scheinder?

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Watching the Vancouver game, Luongo is going no where, nobody is taking that contract (unless the Canucks agree to pay some off). He is playing like he wants to stay.

I know that I'm in the minority on this but that would be a great trade. Schneider would give us long term security in net.

You're right about Luongo, a shutout the other night and he looks great tonight as they go to a shootout with Chicago 1-1.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I don't see the isles going near Luo's longterm deal after being burned on the Yashin/DiPietro deals. I also Luo waives his NTC for the NYI.

And I don't see Snow giving up 20 yr old Nino for 2 and 1/2 yrs of Schneider. If Nino goes, I think it'll be as a key in a package to land Streit's replacement this summer.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isn't it crazy ironic that Nino is the kid in the organization with "maturity issues"
and Kabanov is the one that continues to act like a professional and is always trying to say the right things, volunteer, do fan outreach, and work on his game without complaining????

I can't stand Nino now because of this. For all I saw last year he was Brett Lindros, The Chyzowski, and Chad whatever his name was. All can still be forgiven though if he gets his head unstuck.

I thought KK would be the high maintenance (sp) player.

onesinceforty

Jun 24, 2006
I thought KK would be the high maintenance (sp) player.

Exactly my point!

I did not see this coming except maybe when I heard NN was working with a sports psychologist before his rookie year. It might have been the real kind??? I'd rather not have him if he is going to upset the room. Does anyone think high character guys like JT, Strome, Hammer,
and Martin are going to welcome that BS attitude? No Freaking Way! I hope Streit
is actually doing something with his Swiss protege. That is a whole other topic about whose team this is anyway. When is the last time Streit stood up and spoke to the media. JT is always front and center an I doubt he wants tool bags on his team. Sorry, I say let Nino rot or mature. His choice.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If MM were GM, Nino would be in the ECHL right about now.

Hmmm, maybe not such a bad idea. :naughty:

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Exactly my point!

I did not see this coming except maybe when I heard NN was working with a sports psychologist before his rookie year. It might have been the real kind??? I'd rather not have him if he is going to upset the room. Does anyone think high character guys like JT, Strome, Hammer,
and Martin are going to welcome that BS attitude? No Freaking Way! I hope Streit
is actually doing something with his Swiss protege. That is a whole other topic about whose team this is anyway. When is the last time Streit stood up and spoke to the media. JT is always front and center an I doubt he wants tool bags on his team. Sorry, I say let Nino rot or mature. His choice.

Irony....Nino's a tool.

picnicker_swiss_army_knife.jpg

:laugh:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I think Luongo would be perfect for the Isles, would provide a ton of stability in goal behind a young emerging team for the next 3-4 seasons at least. His salary dips in the later years and the cap hit will stay the same (I feel Wang might like this a lot), and his cap hit is extremely good for what he brings to the table.

I'd be very interested in Lu for Nino +

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad