Nikolay Goldobin

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Meier didn't do much of anything until he got traded to Rouyn-Noranda and got to ride shotgun with Francis Perron, the best player in the QMJHL last season.

Meier had a higher PPG at Halifax last season than Barzal did at Seattle. Do you look things up before you post?

Just like he rode shotgun in his draft year with Ehlers, one of the best prospects to come out of the Q in recent history.

This "Meier leeched off Ehlers" talk has already been disproven, but keep talking.

Back on topic, If Labanc is up for good (hopefully), who moves up to Goldobin's line? Or do we go back to the drawing board? At what point do we call up Goldobin? And where does he play?

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Back on topic, If Labanc is up for good (hopefully), who moves up to Goldobin's line?

I would assume Timo. That line is gonna need a heavy forechecker with speed - that screams Timo. Do McCarthy with Carp and Goody. Then keep the 'kids' together with Timo - Chartier - Goldobin.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Meier had a higher PPG at Halifax last season than Barzal did at Seattle. Do you look things up before you post?

This "Meier leeched off Ehlers" talk has already been disproven, but keep talking.

Back on topic, If Labanc is up for good (hopefully), who moves up to Goldobin's line? Or do we go back to the drawing board? At what point do we call up Goldobin? And where does he play?

Definitely thinking Timo gets Labanc's spot on the PP and EV. I don't think Timo or Goldobin get called up until they can move out salary which may take a while but if they feel strongly about getting them up then DW will make something happen.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I would assume Timo. That line is gonna need a heavy forechecker with speed - that screams Timo. Do McCarthy with Carp and Goody. Then keep the 'kids' together with Timo - Chartier - Goldobin.

I'd be good with that. Meier-O'Regan-Sorensen doesn't really seem like it's working anyway. They all look individually talented but I just don't feel like they click together.

Meier with Chartier and Goldobin would be entertaining to see.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Barzal has looked good but has been jerked around by Capuano. It's embarrassing that anyone (not you, others) would try and draw conclusions based on his body of work in the NHL, even if it's just to prove a point.

This post makes my head hurt.

Agree 100%. Drawing conclusions for anyone on such a small sample size is foolish. The best players of all time have had unproductive 10-15 game stints let alone a rookie playing 4 games following mono. I am not arguing Meier will be better than any of those players. I am confident he'll be a good player, but mostly just showing that those players really haven't done anything impressive stat wise, so to bash Meier for unproductive stats is pretty amusing.

Bringing this thread back to Goldobin, just look at how the perception of him has changed since last season, and a lot of that wasn't stat based it was effort based. Now that he has competent linemates and is developing further in all ends of the rink he's looking like a sure thing for top 6 in the NHL.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I'd be good with that. Meier-O'Regan-Sorensen doesn't really seem like it's working anyway. They all look individually talented but I just don't feel like they click together.

Meier with Chartier and Goldobin would be entertaining to see.

Depending on how much of a blender you wanted, I could see it the other way too: Goldobin next to Timo and Danny O. I really want O'Regan to succeed. I think he has shown some great stuff at the college level, and I really hope it translates. Maybe Labanc being gone is a chance for Chartier and Goldobin to show what they can do separately??

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Bringing this thread back to Goldobin, just look at how the perception of him has changed since last season, and a lot of that wasn't stat based it was effort based. Now that he has competent linemates and is developing further in all ends of the rink he's looking like a sure thing for top 6 in the NHL.

I've doubled down against. Goldobin's biggest issue has always been effort and consistency. Now that it's "fun" and "easy", he is bringing that beast mode he always had. We have always known Goldobin had the skill. In his draft year, people talked about him going 1OA if he was just more consistent. Wait until the flash and fun all wear off, and Nicky is back to 8 hour bus rides and grinding out points in an 82 game season. That's what separates a professional from a really good player.

I'm not sold yet that he has that sort of work ethic in him.

The only thing that has changed with this new line is how he "feels" about wanting to play. He has to perform and play well even when he doesn't want to. That has always been his hurdle to the NHL. This is more of the same.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I've doubled down against. Goldobin's biggest issue has always been effort and consistency. Now that it's "fun" and "easy", he is bringing that beast mode he always had. We have always known Goldobin had the skill. In his draft year, people talked about him going 1OA if he was just more consistent. Wait until the flash and fun all wear off, and Nicky is back to 8 hour bus rides and grinding out points in an 82 game season. That's what separates a professional from a really good player.

I'm not sold yet that he has that sort of work ethic in him.

The only thing that has changed with this new line is how he "feels" about wanting to play. He has to perform and play well even when he doesn't want to. That has always been his hurdle to the NHL. This is more of the same.

You're speculating a lot about this guy's mindset. I don't even know who is referring to what he's doing as fun and easy either. People are already saying that he's playing harder and going harder into the dirty areas than he was last year.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
You're speculating a lot about this guy's mindset. I don't even know who is referring to what he's doing as fun and easy either. People are already saying that he's playing harder and going harder into the dirty areas than he was last year.

It's a concept called... Flow. It's like getting in the zone or having your confidence back. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)) It's a real thing.

Goldobin is presently in a state of... Flow. Pucks are going in the net, he feels challenged, but capable of overcoming those challenges, he has line-mates that fit his play-style. Life is good right now.

He isn't going home and ruminating about Sommer's not understanding him. He feels connected to the team. He feels respected and important to the success of his team.

That's what I mean "easy". So long as he remains "happy", he will continue to perform. Don't mistake this for mental fortitude though. His skill set has not gotten better, he just "feels" better about playing and so he is willing to try harder.

Once the goals dry up and he feels bored or that it's pointless or whatever, he will revert back to what we have seen before: only trying when he feels like it.

This is it. This is what he brings when he feels like it. He has always been this good. But it takes more than skills to be a professional hockey player. It takes attitude. And a 5 game goal streak doesn't suddenly make me forget his history of a bad one.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's a concept called... Flow. It's like getting in the zone or having your confidence back. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)) It's a real thing.

Goldobin is presently in a state of... Flow. Pucks are going in the net, he feels challenged, but capable of overcoming those challenges, he has line-mates that fit his play-style. Life is good right now.

He isn't going home and ruminating about Sommer's not understanding him. He feels connected to the team. He feels respected and important to the success of his team.

That's what I mean "easy". So long as he remains "happy", he will continue to perform. Don't mistake this for mental fortitude though. His skill set has not gotten better, he just "feels" better about playing and so he is willing to try harder.

Once the goals dry up and he feels bored or that it's pointless or whatever, he will revert back to what we have seen before: only trying when he feels like it.

This is it. This is what he brings when he feels like it. He has always been this good. But it takes more than skills to be a professional hockey player. It takes attitude. And a 5 game goal streak doesn't suddenly make me forget his history of a bad one.

I typed a lot of text and then realized that it probably would just make me come off as an *******. So all I am going to say is, I am not buying any of this .. err .. smelly stuff that you are selling.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
^^ Lol, come on. Awful 'speculation'.

Goldobin didn't get better, he just found his niche. While that's great and all, you want players that make others better (ie Labanc), not guys that just keep up (ie Goldobin).
Not true at all. Goldobin has the puck on his stick all the time and is constantly making plays that his linemates capitalize on. He's a catalyst out there. The PP runs through him. He does more than 'just keep up'. Labanc's recall was well earned but let's not act like he was carrying that line.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I typed a lot of stuff and then realized that it probably would just make me come off as an *******. So all I am going to say is, I am not buying any of this .. err .. smelly stuff that you are selling.

Hey man, these are hockey forums. Speak your mind, none of its personal. If I didn't want someone to discuss my views on things with, then why would I post here?

Don't have to buy it. I've made a great life being right when others are wrong. At the end of the day, it is what it is.

Can we make a VBookie bet on if Goldobin sustains this pace while Labanc is gone?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Hey man, these are hockey forums. Speak your mind, none of its personal. If I didn't want someone to discuss my views on things with, then why would I post here?

Don't have to buy it. I've made a great life being right when others are wrong. At the end of the day, it is what it is.

Can we make a VBookie bet on if Goldobin sustains this pace while Labanc is gone?

No. And it is nothing to do with 'flow'. If I tied your left hand behind your back, I would not expect you to keep functioning at the same level.

And yes, I would expect Labanc's production to take a hit if Goldobin was taken off his line as well.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
No. And it is nothing to do with 'flow'. If I tied your left hand behind your back, I would not expect you to keep functioning at the same level.

And yes, I would expect Labanc's production to take a hit if Goldobin was taken off his line as well.

How about this: Labanc sustains this pace. Goldobin regresses.

We can revisit after the 1st of the year and see where they are.

I view players as people, so to evaluate them I look at who they are as individuals. My evaluation tells me Goldobin is gonna get bored again and stop giving a ****.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

I view players as people, so to evaluate them I look at who they are as individuals. My evaluation tells me Goldobin is gonna get bored again and stop giving a ****.

Sounds like someone just took Introduction to Psychology and now applies it to anything.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Sounds like someone just took Introduction to Psychology and now applies it to anything.

I kid, I kid. I don't know why it takes a PhD to be suspect of Goldobin's recent attitude shift. Maybe he proves me wrong, but there were complaints about his effort level as recently as camp. 6 games on a hot line and suddenly everyone wants to call him NHL-ready? Seems like everyone forgot the month last season he only registered a single shot on goal. This is all part of what people have been saying since day one. He can be the best player on the ice when he wants to be. I'm glad he suddenly wants to be - but let's see it last. Past performance makes me suspect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I view players as human beings. I give them the benefit of doubt and assume they grow up, learn things and get better. That is generally what people do. I am not going to make assumptions that a person is always going to be what he/she was at 18 or 19.

Also, you are not really viewing Goldobin as an individual. You are viewing him based on what you have seen on the hockey rink. Just because heard he was lazy or saw him not back-checking you think he is a 'lazy' individual? Sure that may make him a lazy hockey player but not a lazy individual. I doubt you meant you view players as individuals. You are speculating on their character based on the on-ice product and making a lot of assumptions about their personality. It takes a lot to be a a professional athlete. I don't think lazy is one of the words I would use to describe Goldobin the individual.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
[MOD]

I kid, I kid. I don't know why it takes a PhD to be suspect of Goldobin's recent attitude shift. Maybe he proves me wrong, but there were complaints about his effort level as recently as camp. 6 games on a hot line and suddenly everyone wants to call him NHL-ready? Seems like everyone forgot the month last season he only registered a single shot on goal. This is all part of what people have been saying since day one. He can be the best player on the ice when he wants to be. I'm glad he suddenly wants to be - but let's see it last. Past performance makes me suspect.

Without a deep personal and psychological relationship with the player you're just basing your opinions, on his mindset specifically, entirely on speculation. Attempting to make an educated read on a person by watching them in competitive sports, checking stats and reading quotes secondhand isn't fair to either the person or yourself. You aren't getting nearly enough information to make an informed decision, and you're ignoring any information that contradicts your assessment. You can certainly say that he's not performing up to your standards as a top prospect, but that's about as far as I would go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Without a deep personal and psychological relationship with the player you're just basing your opinions, on his mindset specifically, entirely on speculation. Attempting to make an educated read on a person by watching them in competitive sports, checking stats and reading quotes secondhand isn't fair to either the person or yourself. You aren't getting nearly enough information to make an informed decision, and you're ignoring any information that contradicts your assessment. You can certainly say that he's not performing up to your standards as a top prospect, but that's about as far as I would go.

My speculation is that his mindset hasn't really changed. Years of evidence pointing one way. 6 games pointing another. The real speculative fiction here is ya'll claiming him a fixed soul after two weeks. Let's give it until Christmas.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
My speculation is that his mindset hasn't really changed. Years of evidence pointing one way. 6 games pointing another. The real speculative fiction here is ya'll claiming him a fixed soul after two weeks. Let's give it until Christmas.

But...you don't have years of evidence on this. There are more reports about him being a hardworking kid willing to learn than there are of him being a flighty, lazy-ass kid.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
But...you don't have years of evidence on this. There are more reports about him being a hardworking kid willing to learn than there are of him being a flighty, lazy-ass kid.

Okay, see this is where we differ. Everytime we talk about Goldobin, it ends the same. I could post a quote by his coach talking about engagement and effort levels, but then you will say Sommer's opinion doesn't count. I could post something by KKurz critiquing his efforts at camp, but then you will say Kurz knows even less than Sommer.

You view Goldobin as a hard-working prospect whose efforts are finally paying off.

I view Goldobin as a player whose compete levels can waiver and is on a hot streak.

At the end of it, only time will tell. Let's agree to disagree. We can revisit his performance around Christmas and see where he is at!

If I am wrong, I will openly admit it. I hope you'll do the same.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

This is what you simply can't know, no matter how you choose to finish the sentence.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
This is what you simply can't know, no matter how you choose to finish the sentence.

We can't know it, but we also can't ignore what we see on the ice. I've only watched Goldobin play live a few times but there were a few times where he absolute quit on the play. Pro's don't do that.

I still question whether he can make a career with the Sharks due to his lack of will. Talent can only take you so far.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We can't know it, but we also can't ignore what we see on the ice. I've only watched Goldobin play live a few times but there were a few times where he absolute quit on the play. Pro's don't do that.

I still question whether he can make a career with the Sharks due to his lack of will. Talent can only take you so far.

This is ********. Plenty of pros quit on plays quite regularly. Not everyone that plays the game needs to have a significantly high will to do their job. People have been questioning Marleau's will his entire career and he's done pretty damn well for himself and he is not the only one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00