Nikolay Goldobin

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Slide = waiver exempt?

Sliding in this case refers to not burning a year off his ELC unless he plays more than 9 NHL games. Timo's contract can slide and not burn a year off his ELC if he plays fewer than 10 NHL games. Most of the Sharks prospects are waiver exempt. Notable exceptions would be Tim Heed, Aaron Dell, Troy Grosenick and Dylan Demelo. They would all require waivers to go down to the Barracuda.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Slide = waiver exempt?

No, it's whether or not a year of a player's contract would be used or not. It's something like if a player signs their ELC before they're 20 then their contract doesn't burn a year unless they play 10+ games in the NHL. But that only applies for two years I think.

I'm not extremely well-versed about contracts so I have no idea how a player stops being waiver exempt.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Sharks' most significant TDL acquisition last year was a backup goalie, so I think your contention is on the wrong side of history.

The book on Goldobin is longer than one preseason game. When I have watched him play, he has given me the impression he is lazy/disinterested off the puck, it it sounds like that trend has (not unsurprisingly) continued.

Skill will only take a player so far, and I simply do not think Goldobin has the will to get him over the hump to become a regular on this team. We can point to a lot of high will but lower skill players who have carved out nice careers in the NHL. The list of highly skilled but less hard working players who stick is much shorter.

No offense, but I think you're looking to get that impression and nothing has shown you otherwise and now you're parlaying that thought process into an assessment.

zakkthebear

Apr 22, 2013
San Jose, CA
Don't look now, but the Kevin Labanc in Goldobin's rearview mirror may be closer than he appears.

Like I said it the tweet: Still time, but officially time for concern.

hong57

Nov 9, 2008
Hong Kong
Any updates on this guy? It was mentioned above he was lazy, but it has been a great start in the AHL this year.. what do you guys think? And have a legit chance to make the team next year or being recalled this year?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Any updates on this guy? It was mentioned above he was lazy, but it has been a great start in the AHL this year.. what do you guys think? And have a legit chance to make the team next year or being recalled this year?

Basically, Kevin Labanc and Nikolay Goldobin were made for each other but Goldobin's definitely playing harder.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Maybe he took that criticism to heart.

Ive read multiple interviews where he acknowledges all the stuff he reads about how "lazy" and bad he is in the d-zone. He obviously always cared but maybe something clicked in the last month.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Ive read multiple interviews where he acknowledges all the stuff he reads about how "lazy" and bad he is in the d-zone. He obviously always cared but maybe something clicked in the last month.

Not sure exactly why he is better but I think it is more to do with the fact that now he has players on his line that are skilled enough to be legit NHL prospects. He does not have players on his line who are bogging him down. This baby Sharks squad is probably one of the best we have had.

Also, he has been very open about the fact that people have called him not responsible defensively and that he is working on it. I don't think Labanc is the biggest or most skilled player out there but he has proved people wrong every step of the way and worked hard to make adjustments at very level of hockey he has played to be successful. He could actually prove to be a really good role model (even though he is younger than Goldobin).

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I really hope Labanc and Goldobin get called up soon.

Also it's still extremely early but the returns on Meier so far in the AHL don't seem great. I think a lot of people (including Doug Wilson and the organization) may have been overly optimistic when projecting him for NHL duty this season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I really hope Labanc and Goldobin get called up soon.

Also it's still extremely early but the returns on Meier so far in the AHL don't seem great. I think a lot of people (including Doug Wilson and the organization) may have been overly optimistic when projecting him for NHL duty this season.

I know Meier only has only 2 points in 4 games but I noticed few things in the 2 games I have seen him play.

1. He is defensively responsible.
2. He can play a tough and gritty game.
3. He is actually a pretty decent playmaker. Made some great passes that Sorenson just kept whiffing on.

Also, I don't think he is fully recovered and back to 100% health. He did miss a month because of mono, so I would like to see him play atleast a month of hockey before I would say he is not going to be make it to the NHL this season.

What I was really hoping was that they would call one of Goldobin or Labanc up during the time Meier was still getting back to game speed in the AHL. That way, you can see if one of Goldobin/Labanc is NHL ready before Meier is ready for his chance. Between the three of them you can easily call them up or send them down without any worry (outside of cap) so why not?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

Huh? Meier looks great. If Sorenson had any scoring touch right now, Meier would have 2-3 more points. He's look really good the last two games.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
I am so glad Nikolay isn't dragging around deadweight. Last year he was painful to watch cuz his linemates were never ready for his passes, it was a bit sad, really. Seems you put a playmaker with other impact talent and good things happen. Who would have thought? Also Goldy seems to have got over his inconsistency (even though it is still a small sample size). I always thought he was just very unlearned at defense, not unwilling. A future Golobin-Hertl duo is tantalizing.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
He's supposed to be a goal scorer and has 0 goals and 8 shots in 4 games. Again it's very early but that's not ideal.

I always thought of Meier as super well rounded. As a young guy it might seem prudent to gain chemistry with your line as a playmaker first. Not super worried about that aspect. Yet, anyway.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
He's supposed to be a goal scorer and has 0 goals and 8 shots in 4 games. Again it's very early but that's not ideal.

Again, it's not all about the points, especially over a small sample when the player is adjusting to the professional league and still recovering from mono. The fact that Labanc has been able to acclimate so quickly is nothing short of remarkable, but not every player can play at that level immediately.

The first game Meier was slow and a step behind. This was his first professional game after having mono and that is to be expected.

The last three he was been a dynamic forward with the ability to throw big hits, dish the puck like a wizard, and mix it up in the corners on the forecheck. The scoring will come, and he has been awesome the last few games.

I really just don't get this board and it's need to complain about the Cuda right now...

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
No one is complaining about the Cuda. People have just reasonably pointed out that Mueller and Meier, 2 of our 3 first round picks in the last four years and picks that were roundly criticized by fans at the time, haven't exactly been tearing it up so far while everyone else on the team has. Obviously it's far less concerning with Meier who has played just four games and is possibly still recovering from mono.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
No one is complaining about the Cuda. People have just reasonably pointed out that Mueller and Meier, 2 of our 3 first round picks in the last four years and picks that were roundly criticized by fans at the time, haven't exactly been tearing it up so far while everyone else on the team has. Obviously it's far less concerning with Meier who has played just four games and is possibly still recovering from mono.

Meier also hasn't played a meaningful game of hockey in 6 months. He went into his first week of professional hockey without a training camp, recovering from mono, and with minimal conditioning and did pretty good and you're ready to jump on him for not producing.

You know who's not producing? Conor Garland.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Meier also hasn't played a meaningful game of hockey in 6 months. He went into his first week of professional hockey without a training camp, recovering from mono, and with minimal conditioning and did pretty good and you're ready to jump on him for not producing.

Uh, doesn't that apply to pretty much everyone playing their first game of the season? Hell, Meier went as deep into the junior hockey season as it's possible to go. Goldobin and Labanc went just as long between meaningful hockey games as Meier did.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Uh, doesn't that apply to pretty much everyone playing their first game of the season? Hell, Meier went as deep into the junior hockey season as it's possible to go. Goldobin and Labanc went just as long between meaningful hockey games as Meier did.

That's really the one thing you took from that post? Wow.

Let me put it bluntly: You're being incredibly dumb to imply that Meier's a bust after 4 games coming off of mono that prevented him from participating in training camp and causing him to lose 10 pounds of muscle.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
That's really the one thing you took from that post? Wow.

Let me put it bluntly: You're being incredibly dumb to imply that Meier's a bust after 4 games coming off of mono that prevented him from participating in training camp and causing him to lose 10 pounds of muscle.

Well it was the first thing you wrote and I was wondering how that separates Meier from literally any other player in the NHL and AHL. I'm not implying Meier is a bust and I am well aware he had mono. Just point out that very early in his AHL career he has yet to make much of an impact, due to a variety of circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad