Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

According to above poster -Nik last scored on April 3rd--I don't know if that's right as it seems longer. I still think he hasn't looked himself out there lately, and starts to pot a couple goals--it will really bring up his confidence--just like Connor did last night in Game 5-vs the Preds--"he was on fire."

[mod] C'mon Nikky let's get "mobile"
In some games I think Nicky has looked awesome(should have way more assists)and apart from last night better than Connor imo.

But the last 2 games, he has looked a bit, deflated..

I dunno, maybe PO just isnt his dig - I have defended him alot, but he needs to score soon.

Reactions: DashingDane and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
In some games I think Nicky has looked awesome(should have way more assists)and apart from last night better than Connor imo.

I dunno, maybe PO just isnt his dig - I have defended him a lot, but he needs to score soon.

Well--I'd keep defending Nikky --he'll get his Mojo back--it just doesn't disappear. He's my favorite Jet, and one of the mosy exciting players in the NHL-IMO--and I'd love to see him get his act together out there-"soon."- I'm sure he will - "he's a great one."--Keep the faith !!!

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think he's looked very good for most of the POs -- off the rush, in the passing lanes, anticipating and intercepting passes, back-checking. Would be nice to see him pot a few, but he's contributed in nearly every game, and is probably aware that he's not the go-to player he has been for much of his career. No complaints here. Still love him as a player.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I think he's looked very good for most of the POs -- off the rush, in the passing lanes, anticipating and intercepting passes, back-checking. Would be nice to see him pot a few, but he's contributed in nearly every game, and is probably aware that he's not the go-to player he has been for much of his career. No complaints here. Still love him as a player.
He will always want to be the go to player, he is too young to give up on that, and too talented.

Reactions: DashingDane and GNP

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

I dunno, maybe PO just isnt his dig - I have defended him alot, but he needs to score soon.

Really hoping the bolded isn't the case! If we go by his history nothing suggests it would be the case though. In two seasons of Halifax playoff hockey he went: GP 16 G 16 PTS 28 and GP 14 G 10 PTS 31.

I agree that he hasn't looked great the last two games and that he needs to pick it up but besides that I actually think he has looked really good as a playmaker. Making more and smarter passes than he did in the regular season imo. He is definitely shooting less and I'm not sure why. I feel like it can't just be a confidence thing as he has always been a volume shooter. Hopefully he starts just throwing it on net more and he gets some lucky bounces (Like the Frenchy goal last night).

Playoff hockey is long and requires different players to step up at different times. Wouldn't surprise me the least if we see him get hot at some point. He might just be saving them for when other people dry up :sarcasm:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Really hoping the bolded isn't the case! If we go by his history nothing suggests it would be the case though. In two seasons of Halifax playoff hockey he went: GP 16 G 16 PTS 28 and GP 14 G 10 PTS 31.

I agree that he hasn't looked great the last two games and that he needs to pick it up but besides that I actually think he has looked really good as a playmaker. Making more and smarter passes than he did in the regular season imo. He is definitely shooting less and I'm not sure why. I feel like it can't just be a confidence thing as he has always been a volume shooter. Hopefully he starts just throwing it on net more and he gets some lucky bounces (Like the Frenchy goal last night).

Playoff hockey is long and requires different players to step up at different times. Wouldn't surprise me the least if we see him get hot at some point. He might just be saving them for when other people dry up :sarcasm:
I agree with everything, just perplexed at why he hasnt got more pts - as he has made so many sweet passes that should have led to goals, and not sure why he isnt shooting.

But let us just hope he gets there :)

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He will always want to be the go to player, he is too young to give up on that, and too talented.

Of course -- just meant that he's likely much more aware of options now and contributing to the overall game than when he was scoring whatever ridiculous percentage of playoff points as a Moosehead. I also -- and I hate to say this -- sometimes wonder if he's less a PoMo-type player than KC. Not that they can't both thrive, and bring different skillsets to the table. Just an observation.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Tdpjets

Dec 30, 2017
the jets need to put ehlers with linemates that are big and fast. I often notice ehlers skating around in the offensive zone, but due to his linemates lack of mobility he doesnt have a good passing lane so he often has to do it all himself. If his linemates can skate like him they can create seperation and open up passing lanes, otherwise ehlers will have to spin and run around the offensive zone.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Of course -- just meant that he's likely much more aware of options now and contributing to the overall game than when he was scoring whatever ridiculous percentage of playoff points as a Moosehead. I also -- and I hate to say this -- sometimes wonder if he's less a PoMo-type player than KC. Not that they can't both thrive, and bring different skillsets to the table. Just an observation.

I very much agree with the bolded. Connor has without question been extraordinary this season and deserves a ton of praise. But it has felt a bit to me like his leash is longer then Ehlers. It could very well be my biased nature but imo Ehlers has preformed just as great on that top line the times he has had the opportunity. For some reason Ehlers is always moved to a different line while Connor kind of walked onto that line and basically hasn't moved since. I'm aware that he had short stints on different lines (not compared to Nikky though) and he has managed to stay on that line through similarly bad stretches that would have gotten Ehlers moved down. Not sure if it is a PoMo decision or a Wheels/Chef decision though.

Anyways... Great to have two awesome young players!

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Ehlers and Laine aren't a pairing that can grind it out. Against a team that is going to play 3-4 on their side of the red line they shouldn't be on the same line 5 on 5. I hope they keep the lines they ended the last game with.

Reactions: Ippenator

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I very much agree with the bolded. Connor has without question been extraordinary this season and deserves a ton of praise. But it has felt a bit to me like his leash is longer then Ehlers. It could very well be my biased nature but imo Ehlers has preformed just as great on that top line the times he has had the opportunity. For some reason Ehlers is always moved to a different line while Connor kind of walked onto that line and basically hasn't moved since. I'm aware that he had short stints on different lines (not compared to Nikky though) and he has managed to stay on that line through similarly bad stretches that would have gotten Ehlers moved down. Not sure if it is a PoMo decision or a Wheels/Chef decision though.

Agreed, have a feeling it is a Chef and PoMo thing.

Not so much Wheeler.

Reactions: DashingDane

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Makes me wonder if Ehlers will be the odd piece out when new contracts are signed with KC, Laine and Helle.

Ehlers might get traded.

I feel like his status among management and some players especially Chef aswell as fans, has gone way down.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Makes me wonder if Ehlers will be the odd piece out when new contracts are signed with KC, Laine and Helle.

Ehlers might get traded

I feel like his status among management and some players especially Chef aswell as fans, has gone way down.

I cannot see the Jet's trading Nik Ehlers unless they could get a young center like Barzal or someone of that calibre, Chevy also would not want to upset the chemistry between Ehlers and Laine when they are so young. I don't think Laine would like that, and his performance may drop a lot.

I think they may try to sign Statsny as he looks like a good fit--if his contract demands are reasonable. Apparently he very much likes it here. I don't know if thats a good idea though, as I believe he's 32 yrs old. If they decide to sign Statsny --likely then, they trade Perrault--can't keep them all.

I would think Chevy will want to develop Roslovic as their # 2 center, and he looks like he has the talent to fill that role. Price will be right as well.

I can see one of Trouba or Myers getting traded if they want a center ice man. It would likely be Myers-- but what would you get for a guy that has health issues ?? --so it could be Trouba. They just would "not" trade Buff --"he's their anchor man."

Where they will look to save money --is on Mason- Enstrom and maybe Kulikov, to allow for the signing of the players you cited. Also possible they may not re-sign Wheeler ? but that would be very risky as well--IMO. Look for Mason to be bought out or traded after this season.

Anybody can be traded if the "deal is right"--Gretzky was traded, and so can anyone of our top guys can be traded. I think Chevy will try to keep the Core guys together here.

Last edited:

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017

I Agree Ehlers Leash is shorter but Don´t think its Wheels decision. Wheels was very sad after the 3. game against Nasville because Ehlers set him up alot of times that game without him capitalizing. Ehlers and Wheeler are really really good friends.. it is a Maurice decision. But Wheels and Chef together is their decision, but thats another discussion :)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

I cannot see the Jet's trading Nik Ehlers unless they could get a young center like Barzal or someone of that calibre, Chevy also would not want to upset the chemistry between Ehlers and Laine when they are so young. I don't think Laine would like that, and his performance may drop a lot.

I think they may try to sign Statsny as he looks like a good fit--if his contracts demands are reasonable. Apparently he very much likes it here. I don't know if thats a good idea though, as I believe he's 32 yrs old. If they decide to sign Statsny --likely then, they trade Perrault--can't keep them all.

I would think Chevy will want to develop Roslovic as their # 2 center, and he looks like he has the talent to fill that role. Price will be right as well.

I can see one of Trouba or Myers getting traded if they want a center ice man. It would likely be Myers-- but what would you get for a guy that has health issues ?? --so it could be Trouba. They just would "not" trade Buff --"he's their anchor man."

Where they will look to save money --is on Mason- Enstrom and maybe Kulikov, to allow for the signing of the players you cited. Also possible they may not re-sign Wheeler ? but that would be very risky as well--IMO. Look for Mason to be bought out or traded after this season.

Anybody can be traded if the "deal is right"--Gretzky was traded, and so can anyone of our top guys can be traded. I think Chevy will try to keep the Core guys together here.
I hope you are right:)

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Ehlers might get traded.

Sorry how?

This kid is the happiest of the bunch every time a team or team mates does great even when his game is off.
He is like your ultimate team player kind of player.
So i don't get about management?
True North looks for character as one of the key ingredients to be a Jets player.

You can put him anywhere and he still produces 60 points.

Put him 80 games with top line minutes rop line everything and see him soar.

Jets keep all of them and release Perrault.

Laine
Ehlers
Connor

All have different skills and stregnth, this makes the Jets team hard to match up.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Sorry how?

This kid is the happiest of the bunch every time a team or team mates does great even when his game is off.
He is like your ultimate team player kind of player.
So i don't get about management?
True North looks for character as one of the key ingredients to be a Jets player.

You can put him anywhere and he still produces 60 points.

Put him 80 games with top line minutes rop line everything and see him soar.

Jets keep all of them and release Perrault.

Laine
Ehlers
Connor

All have different skills and stregnth, this makes the Jets team hard to match up.
I have my reasons as to why, (Especially with Chef) unfortunately I cannot post them here :)

Not that they do not like him, he is just not valued as much as Helle, Laine, Connor, JoMo.
And I suspect he would be the odd man out in a situation where Jets were forced to trade a good player.

With regards to status among fans, just look here, there are 4-5 posters that keep this thread going, or else it would die.

And yes, if you put him on the top line, top pp and he will soar, I think he knows that aswell, and will definitely not settle for 2nd fiddle both line and pp for the rest of his career he is to eager to be the best to be happy with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: hudster

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think people need to be worried about Ehlers. Until last game in was KC that looked to be struggling. The Jets are leading the Playoffs in GF/GP at 3.80 and are 3rd in GA/GP at 2.30. No coach is going to mess around with this being 1 win away from moving onto the Conference finals. The only tinkering will be some in game match up adjustments, and often these involve Ehlers. The Jets have a ton of fire power up front which leads to a little bit less opportunity for some players, but it doesn't mean they aren't needed to win a cup. Right now Scheif and Wheeler are the big man on campus and are the biggest offense drivers. I think they both like Connor with them because he plays in straight lines and is easier to read as both Scheif and Wheeler like to play that way. He also is good on the cycle game which is that line's bread and butter.

Ehlers does appear to be transitioning into more of a player maker, which makes sense playing with a shooting machine like Laine. Their chemistry is not yet fully developed as Ehlers is not the easiest player to read with his speed and his ability to go East-West effortlessly. But one day as they both mature I think Ehlers and Laine will get lots and lots of points together, and by that point they are probably up on the 1st line with Scheif as Wheeler drops down the lineup as he slows with age.

However it ends up working IMO long term Ehlers will remain a Jets. He is will just be starting a 7 year deal at a pretty nice price point for the production he brings.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus

I think you look at the KC and Ehlers situation i the wrong way. PoMo had tried and failed several times with KC. I think he was about to send him down again (or was he sent down an re-called?) when we got some key injuries - Frenchy and Lowry iirc. He needed KC to succeed and put him on the top line with the two best players on the team. Not because Ehlers played bad with Chef and Wheelers (who does?) - on the contrary he had played very very well. PoMo just needed KC to find his mojo on the NHL level. It worked out very well from the get go. KC builded confidence and the team was winning. If I remember correctly he played ELL for quite at the same time (wayyy to much if you ask me) and I bet he kept them for so long together for two reasons:
1) Because he wanted KC to build and build on his confidence while he learned the game at the absolute top level.
2) He would love to see Laine and Ehlers find each other which would benefit the team for years to come. He even put those two on the third line for several games to make it a bit easier for them to succeed. Then Stastny arrived and became the missing link.

Regarding the overall use of Ehlers. I agree with other posters that Ehlers is a player who could make 60 point on this team on any top 9 line in the regular season - and much more with Wheeler and Scheif. Especially because Wheeler has the speed to help Ehlers when he flies through the neutral zone entering the offensive zone. The problem right now for me is that Ehlers succeeds very often as a puck carrier with zone entries (Only McJesus is better in the whole damn league when it comes to that!!!) but his linemates cannot keep up and he has to stop skating and the defenders has roughly said only him to worry about. Wheeler helps him a lot in that regard because he is fast. That is also the main reason that I believe that Laine and Ehlers is not bound to succeed as linemates.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Okay Nikolaj Ehlers its now you got to put you **** together and show up for game 7. we dont need you at the world Championship in Denmark.. we have enough from Nhl to reach the quaterfinal there. We need you to win the Stanley Cup with the Winnipeg Jets this year!! We know you created alot of grade A chances in game 1-3 this Serie but nobody capitalized.. forget about it and move on!! Start Skate again please.
If we are down in game 7. i want to see Ehlers/Wheeler together and Scheifele/Laine together thank you!!!

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Okay Nikolaj Ehlers its now you got to put you **** together and show up for game 7. we dont need you at the world Championship in Denmark.. we have enough from Nhl to reach the quaterfinal there. We need you to win the Stanley Cup with the Winnipeg Jets this year!! We know you created alot of grade A chances in game 1-3 this Serie but nobody capitalized.. forget about it and move on!! Start Skate again please.
If we are down in game 7. i want to see Ehlers/Wheeler together and Scheifele/Laine together thank you!!!

No question Nikky needs to be better! But not sure why anyone would have expected that to happen last game. He got demoted the day before, only played 13 min and was on a line with one guy that hasn't looked good for a while and Litts (who most people thought was injured and wouldn't play). Not exactly a recipe to to get a young player with low confidence going imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad