Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Laine and Ehlers are two completely different players , Laine is one of the best shooters in the game today , Ehlers one of the fastest , most exciting players in the game . Do i want Ehlers shooting the puck if we need a goal , no i want Laine all day , every day . Do i want Laine carrying the puck , no i want Ehlers all day every day . But the best part is the Jets got both , bring on the Cup . :nod:

Yep. It's a team sport for a reason. You have to have all different types of complimentary players in order to succeed.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Love Ehlers. Love that he's going to be here for a long time. His speed and zone entries does so much for this team. I think breakaways are a little in his head now. I'd love to see him try some dekes on the breakaway.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Great story.
I have caught myself a few times, noticing a good defensive play and wondering who is the Dman who just made it. Then I see the 27. Ehlers has dropped back to cover for a Dman. That is just as it should be but the surprising thing is the high quality play he makes.

Never expected Ehlers to become a 2 way player. Just hoped he would not cheat too much and be a liability. He is exceeding expectations by quite a bit. :thumbu:

Reactions: DashingDane

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hmm, Ehlers is sure getting shuffled alot this year, and the leash when he makes a bad play os very short.

Has been getting limiited toi after that blunder that led to a goal a few games back. He and Laine seem to get harsher treatments by the staff?

Havent been able to watch alot lately, has he been bad? He is far from getting to 64pts this season.

He is kindof the Danish beacon pf hockey hope, and to see him playing 3rd line and limited minutes and getting shuffled, and just not looking like last seasons Ehlers (little passing) its sad tbh.

Just a comment on Ehlers, not the team :) As Ive been enjoying these many wins.

Reactions: GNP

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
@ImGoingNucks - last game he and Laine has the most TOI of any line. Is that the 3rd line? Against the Panthers, they received only about a minute less on average than the Little line.

If ECL works, that gives the Jets 3 strong scoring lines. I think this is a fantastic thing.

Reactions: KurtG8 and GNP

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
@ImGoingNucks - last game he and Laine has the most TOI of any line. Is that the 3rd line?

If ECL works, that gives the Jets 3 strong scoring lines. I think this is a fantastic thing.

Admittedly I havent been able to follow massively for a while, so I may have missed a few things, as all I saw was a bunch of 12-13 min games and Laine Copp and Ehlers being a line.

Ofc, if that line clicks, fantastic, but Laine and Ehlers to me both seem a little off, if that makes sense.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Against the Panthers they had 12 and 13 mins respectively.
Against the Avs, Ehlers had 14 and Laine 16...

Both with 13 almost 14 against the Caps.

Is it another game or am I missing something?

My point being, it does not matter that they are only getting a minute less than the Little line, point being that they both keep going down the hierachy and getting less toi and "lesser linemates" Both seem more prone to line shuffling than others - And both seem to be on the brunt end when they make a bad play, again compared to others.

Last edited:
Reactions: grey area

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The AVs game, they had the highest even strength TOI of any line. The Panthers game they received only one minute less than our second line. They're still getting good TOI - they'll be fine, IMO.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
The AVs game, they had the highest even strength TOI of any line. The Panthers game they received only one minute less than our second line. They're still getting good TOI - they'll be fine, IMO.

Thats fine.

Personally im a little more concerned.
To me, they are both not the players they were last season, both mentally and skill wise - To me, they both seem more affected by line shuffles, and what seems like harsher punishments and degradations, than what is presented to us.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
do not agree.. almost after 2 periods last night ehlers had 8,5 min of play... where Chef and Wheeler had 15,5 min. he only played at the end of the game when we where ahead. but yeah Ehlers is not in the good house right now.. he is also playing bad hoockey at the moment.. but yeah the Danish hope have taken a step back :( :( i know we are winning but still......... ahhhhhhhhhhh i miss him in a line with scheifele :( 3 games all yeah with Scheifele or wheeler :( but hey its a team sport and happy we get to the playoff..

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Hmm, Ehlers is sure getting shuffled alot this year, and the leash when he makes a bad play os very short.

Has been getting limiited toi after that blunder that led to a goal a few games back. He and Laine seem to get harsher treatments by the staff?

Havent been able to watch alot lately, has he been bad? He is far from getting to 64pts this season.

He is kindof the Danish beacon pf hockey hope, and to see him playing 3rd line and limited minutes and getting shuffled, and just not looking like last seasons Ehlers (little passing) its sad tbh.

Just a comment on Ehlers, not the team :) As Ive been enjoying these many wins.

I don't think he has been any worse this season. I actually think he has been quite a bit better overall. Way better on the defensive side of the puck! While it might sound counterintuitive I actually think him being moved to the "third" line is a positive. Rosie and Connor have been playing better than him recently and deserves their toi. But they are basically being put in the same situation as Nik has been for the past two seasons. They play with players that can "carry" them and can learn how to play in a NHL top 6 situation. Bumping Ehlers down to a line with no support from Little or Scheifele tells me PoMo thinks he is ready to drive his own line. Their 5v5 toi has looked fine. I think he is trying to force the Ehlers/Laine combo to take the next step where they aren't dependent on other players. That means they have to focus more on defense and aren't spoon fed points like anyone who plays with Chef/Wheels is. The fact that he is projected to have less points than last season is a combo of two things imo. 1. ELL never really got the offense going and 2. The Jets are a much more responsible team in their own end this season. That means players sacrifice personal accolades for the greater good of the team. The fact that two hotshot young players are buying into this is a great thing for the future of the Jets.

To sum it up... I don't think there is any reason to worry about Nikky. He is going to be an impact player for years to come and be a perfect example for any young Danish hockey players trying to make the step to NA hockey.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I don't think he has been any worse this season. I actually think he has been quite a bit better overall. Way better on the defensive side of the puck! While it might sound counterintuitive I actually think him being moved to the "third" line is a positive. Rosie and Connor have been playing better than him recently and deserves their toi. But they are basically being put in the same situation as Nik has been for the past two seasons. They play with players that can "carry" them and can learn how to play in a NHL top 6 situation. Bumping Ehlers down to a line with no support from Little or Scheifele tells me PoMo thinks he is ready to drive his own line. Their 5v5 toi has looked fine. I think he is trying to force the Ehlers/Laine combo to take the next step where they aren't dependent on other players. That means they have to focus more on defense and aren't spoon fed points like anyone who plays with Chef/Wheels is. The fact that he is projected to have less points than last season is a combo of two things imo. 1. ELL never really got the offense going and 2. The Jets are a much more responsible team in their own end this season. That means players sacrifice personal accolades for the greater good of the team. The fact that two hotshot young players are buying into this is a great thing for the future of the Jets.

To sum it up... I don't think there is any reason to worry about Nikky. He is going to be an impact player for years to come and be a perfect example for any young Danish hockey players trying to make the step to NA hockey.

Dashing, I love how you always remain level headed when the likes of me cannot :)

But, other than his defensive game, I dont think he has improved, and I blame that on his and Laines treatment among others.
I am 100% serious when I write, that imo he and Laine have shorter leashes and get doghoused easier.

I mean someone in the KC thread actually wrote that he would rather trade Ehlers than KC, and said he thinks KC is lightyears ahead of him.
Personally I think Laine and Ehlers are struggling mentally, in part because of how they are shuffled compared to the rest of the team - In part because of toi, in part because of the difference in treatment between them and the likes of KC and now Roslo.

KC has imo only been better in glimpses, and imo only on the sheltered 1st line playing long minutes.

And even when Laine and Ehlers have had stellar games, they dont seem to get rewarded.

But like I wrote earlier, its not about the 3rd line or even that they "only" play 1 minute less than the Little line, my point is, they are the only two players on the team, that seem to be going back, regressing in terms if linemates, lines, and toi, while others are either stagnant or rising.

I think they both think, well we have performed, and we have the pts, but whenever we have a bad game, that weighs more. What the hell do we need to do. - We know that going back in pts for such a young player, can be a mental hurdle for them.

Anywho, it doesnt really matter, I seem to be alone with this opinion, and I tend to not like arguing with myself :)

Reactions: Hulide

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Dashing, I love how you always remain level headed when the likes of me cannot :)

But, other than his defensive game, I dont think he has improved, and I blame that on his and Laines treatment among others.
I am 100% serious when I write, that imo he and Laine have shorter leashes and get doghoused easier.

I mean someone in the KC thread actually wrote that he would rather trade Ehlers than KC, and said he thinks KC is lightyears ahead of him.
Personally I think Laine and Ehlers are struggling mentally, in part because of how they are shuffled compared to the rest of the team - In part because of toi, in part because of the difference in treatment between them and the likes of KC and now Roslo.

KC has imo only been better in glimpses, and imo only on the sheltered 1st line playing long minutes.

And even when Laine and Ehlers have had stellar games, they dont seem to get rewarded.

But like I wrote earlier, its not about the 3rd line or even that they "only" play 1 minute less than the Little line, my point is, they are the only two players on the team, that seem to be going back, regressing in terms if linemates, lines, and toi, while others are either stagnant or rising.

I think they both think, well we have performed, and we have the pts, but whenever we have a bad game, that weighs more. What the hell do we need to do. - We know that going back in pts for such a young player, can be a mental hurdle for them.

Anywho, it doesnt really matter, I seem to be alone with this opinion, and I tend to not like arguing with myself :)

I argue with myself all the time :laugh:

I think most of your points are valid but also think some of them can be explained. I wouldn't worry about Ehlers vs. Connor debate. Jets are lucky to have them both and we all have our personal bias. I think Ehlers is currently a better player than Laine. Doesn't make me right or wrong. Just opinionated;) IMO Ehlers would have similar or more points than Connor if he was riding shotgun on the 1st line and I think previous stints there prove that.

I think you are right in that they have been struggling mentally with less toi this season. It can't be easy going from being a "superstar" on all of your previous teams to 3rd line minutes on average. Finding rhythm with less playing time is something they will have to learn though. As I mentioned in previous posts I think it a result of PoMo wanting his rookies (Rosie & Connor) to have some veteran support while they are getting used to the league.

I partially agree with the shorter leash theory. They do seem to get moved down the lineup fairly quickly but let's not forget Connor went from 1st to 4th in a heartbeat as well. There is a couple of factors that I think could explain why this has happened... The easiest is that Paul has higher expectations to them than most other Jets players so when they don't go hard enough he needs there to be consequences. Another reason could be that outside of Wheels and Nickels I can't think of other forwards that play with as much risk in their game as Ehlers and Laine. It's part of what makes them super entertaining to watch but it also leads to more mistakes. IMO Connor and Rosie play with less risk.

I think it all boils down to PoMo wanting three scoring lines at the moment. All 4 youngsters have shown they can keep up in the top 6 and I believe PoMo see's Ehlers as becoming a line driver. Him and Laine should theoretically be a awesome weapon to line up against other teams 3rd line without compromising the top 6's production. Overall I think it makes the Jets a more dangerous team. With the amount of talent on this team toi is going to change frequently imo with the exception of Wheels/Scheifele.

Reactions: ImGoingNucks

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg

I think most of your points are valid but also think some of them can be explained. I wouldn't worry about Ehlers vs. Connor debate. Jets are lucky to have them both and we all have our personal bias. I think Ehlers is currently a better player than Laine. Doesn't make me right or wrong. Just opinionated;) IMO Ehlers would have similar or more points than Connor if he was riding shotgun on the 1st line and I think previous stints there prove that.

I think you are right in that they have been struggling mentally with less toi this season. It can't be easy going from being a "superstar" on all of your previous teams to 3rd line minutes on average. Finding rhythm with less playing time is something they will have to learn though. As I mentioned in previous posts I think it a result of PoMo wanting his rookies (Rosie & Connor) to have some veteran support while they are getting used to the league.

I partially agree with the shorter leash theory. They do seem to get moved down the lineup fairly quickly but let's not forget Connor went from 1st to 4th in a heartbeat as well. There is a couple of factors that I think could explain why this has happened... The easiest is that Paul has higher expectations to them than most other Jets players so when they don't go hard enough he needs there to be consequences. Another reason could be that outside of Wheels and Nickels I can't think of other forwards that play with as much risk in their game as Ehlers and Laine. It's part of what makes them super entertaining to watch but it also leads to more mistakes. IMO Connor and Rosie play with less risk.

I think it all boils down to PoMo wanting three scoring lines at the moment. All 4 youngsters have shown they can keep up in the top 6 and I believe PoMo see's Ehlers as becoming a line driver. Him and Laine should theoretically be a awesome weapon to line up against other teams 3rd line without compromising the top 6's production. Overall I think it makes the Jets a more dangerous team. With the amount of talent on this team toi is going to change frequently imo with the exception of Wheels/Scheifele.
I agree with this assessment. Particulary with with their struggles pertaining to line mates and the risk taking. They will have to work through it and accept it. They will end up being better overall players as a result.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I think Maurice is definitely trying to send a message to his young stars, and that is they are to play the way he wants, or face the consequences. He won't tolerate hi- risk sloppy play, and his formula is working out very well for the Jets. You can't have your young superstars running the show, and they have to know who the boss is.

Maurice sent Connor down to the 3rd or 4 th line, and Kyle came back the better player for it. He is scoring right now - "big time." Also there are holes in Ehler's game, and same with Laines, and I think Maurice wants to see them change their play--and play the way he wants-- and demoting them-- sure gets their attention.

I'd like to see Ehlers make smarter plays when he enters the offensive zone, and pass the puck off to other players, instead of trying to do it all by himself, and more often than not, it doesn't work, and loses possession. I'm sure Maurice has talked to Ehlers about this, and this little demotion will get his attention.

On Laine --he sometimes is very sloppy with the puck, and gives it away, and also at other times, he doesn't hustle the way Maurice would like him to. I think demoting him, and giving him less minutes, will send Laine a strong message. Laine had a better game out last time against Florida.

The best time to do this is when they are very young, and are willing to "listen" and make some changes. I think both these young stars ( especially Ehlers) will listen to what Maurice wants, and play the way he'd like them to play. For instance if Maurice did this with Buff right now, it likely wouldn't work. Do it when their young.

So far in the last 2 games, the Jet's have been blowing out their opponent -- so I think Maurice has taken the right approach with these 2 players-Ehlers and Laine.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017

I think Maurice is definitely trying to send a message to his young stars, and that is they are to play the way he wants, or face the consequences. He won't tolerate hi- risk sloppy play, and his formula is working out very well for the Jets. You can't have your young superstars running the show, and they have to know who the boss is.

Maurice sent Connor down to the 3rd or 4 th line, and Kyle came back the better player for it. He is scoring right now - "big time." Also there are holes in Ehler's game, and same with Laines, and I think Maurice wants to see them change their play--and play the way he wants-- and demoting them-- sure gets their attention.

I'd like to see Ehlers make smarter plays when he enters the offensive zone, and pass the puck off to other players, instead of trying to do it all by himself, and more often than not, it doesn't work, and loses possession. I'm sure Maurice has talked to Ehlers about this, and this little demotion will get his attention.

On Laine --he sometimes is very sloppy with the puck, and gives it away, and also at other times, he doesn't hustle the way Maurice would like him to. I think demoting him, and giving him less minutes, will send Laine a strong message. Laine had a better game out last time against Florida.

The best time to do this is when they are very young, and are willing to "listen" and make some changes. I think both these young stars ( especially Ehlers) will listen to what Maurice wants, and play the way he'd like them to play. For instance if Maurice did this with Buff right now, it likely wouldn't work. Do it when their young.

So far in the last 2 games, the Jet's have been blowing out their opponent -- so I think Maurice has taken the right approach with these 2 players-Ehlers and Laine.
I understand but in my mind you dont Play Ehlers and Laine 12-14 Min. But hey Thats just my opinion...

Reactions: Jetsfareast

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

This is a great article on the break away woes or lows of Nik Ehlers. I guess you have 3 choices.

1) Cut around the D -man and hope you have enough space to get it up and over the Goalies pads, and this is what Nik usually tries with a "very low" conversion rate. Usually this is what Nik does, and goes to the back hand, and it's not working that well at all. I have yet to see him get a goal like this, but maybe he's had the odd one that I missed.( not many though, if any at all !!!)

2) When you get around the defenceman-"shoot it", but that's not a very good option, as the Goalie will have the angle on you, and your going at top speed, and the D-man is right on your heels, and you have to hit a very small open spot, is just a low percentage idea. If you've beat the defensemen "cleanly" and they are quite far back--this opens a lot of choices, as you can shoot, or try to deke him, and go to the backhand. In this case, I think Nik should give a couple body fakes, and fire for one of the top or bottom corners. I think he'd have more success -- I'm quite sure of this !!!

3) Go around the net, and wait for your teammates to catch up, then pass it out front, to a linemate like Connor, Little, Laine or Schefele . Kyle Connor would be the best for these types of goals. Quick accurate shot, and can hit the corners-no problem. Connor is very much a "sniper."

What should Nik do ?? - Maybe a combination( 1- 2& 3)-I'd say practice on our goalies, and develop a couple some creative quick moves, and practice getting the backhand up and over the goalies pads in tight quarters. This may involve reducing the curve on your stick, as it works against you on the "backhand." I've seen Connor McDavid on a couple breakaways, and he's really quite good at it-- but he's usually not in so tight, and just gives a couple body fakes and fires. He's very accurate.

I'm sure Nik and the coaches are quite well aware of the low conversion rates, and are planning some strategies to improve the conversion rates on breakaways. The reason why Nik has so many of them, is that his blazing speed allows him to get in behind the defenseman so often-- so now he really has to work on what to do, when he's in all alone? Don't forget, it's not much of a breakaway if the D-man is right on your heels, and the Goalie has the angle on you-means "limited options" If your in clean and the D-man is way back, then you have "quite a few options."

I hope this can be improved, because it would make for some exciting and colorful goals, and help the Jet's win a few more games. This article does say it all-"and so true" and thanks to the Dane for the link.

Posted by - the #1 "biggest fan" of the Flashing Dane, and tied only for this prestigious designation, with the Dashing Dane. ;)

Last edited:

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
12,24. 13,40. 13,04. 13,28 and 14,03 icetime the last 5 games! incredible.. i really hope his icetime will soon go up.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Another great game by Nikky boy vs Dallas-- he's getting better and stronger everytime out, and is moving up in the NHL scoring race. The Jet's have a sharp eye for talent, and picking up Laine, Ehlers and Connor -- is huge, and will win us a Stanley Cup.

I think his nik name should be BLUR -- as that's all the D-men see as he passes by them, and leaves them in the dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad