Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Unfortunately Nik isn’t solid finisher. If he could utilize his scoring opportunities better he would be a monster too. He misses tons of breakaways. Last night in 2nd or 3rd he had one excellent missed opportunity again.

I think that is a bit of a spoiled statement :laugh: He is not a solid finisher compared to Laine but I can’t think of anyone that is. That would be a very unrealistic bar to measure his shooting with. He has a well above average shooting %, a history of scoring a lot at all levels and is 2nd on the team in goals. I’d say he is doing quite alright. He needs to get better at breakaways without question and I think he will eventually. He had them down in juniors.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think that is a bit of a spoiled statement :laugh: He is not a solid finisher compared to Laine but I can’t think of anyone that is. That would be a very unrealistic bar to measure his shooting with. He has a well above average shooting %, a history of scoring a lot at all levels and is 2nd on the team in goals. I’d say he is doing quite alright. He needs to get better at breakaways without question and I think he will eventually. He had them down in juniors.

His conversion rate on breakaways is not that good -- however shooting from --say 10-15 feet out ( or more) -- I think he's doing great and hitting the twine. He's a great all around player. It's great to have Nik--so much fun to watch.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Unfortunately Nik isn’t solid finisher. If he could utilize his scoring opportunities better he would be a monster too. He misses tons of breakaways. Last night in 2nd or 3rd he had one excellent missed opportunity again.
No no. Nik is one of the better finishers in the league. Thats what probably makes it even harder for him to realize that passing to Laine is probably the correct play, more often than not.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

He's 30th in the whole NHL in goals scored.
Playing less minutes than almost all of them.

He has 25 goals with 16 games left.
I can count in 1 hand how many players finishes with more than 25 goals in JETS 2.0 besides Laine.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
He's 30th in the whole NHL in goals scored.
Playing less minutes than almost all of them.

He has 25 goals with 16 games left.
I can count in 1 hand how many players finishes with more than 25 goals in JETS 2.0 besides Laine.
Yes, but at the same time I believe he has all the tools (except finishing) to do 40-50 goals regularly. Don't get me wrong but I think it is his biggest weakness otherwise in excellent player.

Reactions: GNP

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Yes, but at the same time I believe he has all the tools (except finishing) to do 40-50 goals regularly. Don't get me wrong but I think it is his biggest weakness otherwise in excellent player.
Players who normally get to those goals are given all the opporunity .

Top minutes, pp , pk.
If he get those. He'll get really close to 40-45. Im not saying he will. As not many players get to those level.
If everything aligns and he is healthy , there is a chance.

Not many score 40.
You score 25+ goal in the nhl you are one of the best. Top 30.

Just like Laine just because he is a pure goal scorer doesnt mean he is bad at the rest of his game. His passing is underrated.

Like Ehler he is one of the fastest skater it over shadow is goal scoring. He doesnt score in tight garbage goals. Some yes. He gets his goals all over.

Like i said he is 30th in goals playing one of the least minutes with Laine.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

Are you sure you have watched him play ;) I can think of a lot of other areas he needs to improve but finishing isn't really the first one that pops to mind imo. Heck I'd go as far as saying his skating and shooting are two of his biggest strengths...

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
As I see it you cannot use shooting % as a certain way to judge a players shooting ability. A lot of things to factor in, variance the biggest factor.
Another thing is playing style/strengths.
Of the two Laine and Ehlers, Laine no doubt has the best shot and Ehlers the best skating. So Laines task is to get into shooting position and is the go-to guy especially on the pp, whereas Ehlers is the go-to guy when you talk about zone entries. For that reason Ehlers will have more low danger shots because he will shoot the puck often when he has just entered the zone, to get a rebound, deflection or a face off.
I am not sure about this, stats guys can probably tell me whether that is complete rubbish or not, but it seems logical to me that it will have an impact.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I really like seeing Ehlers grow as a player. He's clearly working on his game and it is looking really good. Hope he keeps it up.

He is an excellent playmaker when he wants to be. Giving no-look passes while accelerating etc. I think someone made a good point that it may be an adjustment for him not to be the main shooter, but once he realizes it doesn't matter who finishes, as long as they maximize the goal output of the line as a unit working together, they will be golden. Ehlers can finish with the best of them too given the opportunity, and he will get plenty of them if they keep this up.

Stas line seems to be really effective and Ehlers is definitely a key piece of it. Really happy with Ehlers currently.

Forgot to mention that Ehlers' ability to gain the zone, and to draw penalties are major assets for the Jets. Our zone entries would be an area we lack in, and our PP is so potent that we can assign extra value to drawing penalties.

Last edited:
Reactions: DashingDane

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Wow, bottomof page 2 after being a huge part of the ESL line and a huge part of Laine's goal scoring.

13pts in his last 12 games.

I f***ing love Laine, but it's getting a little old hearing Laine is the Jets and every PGT and GDT only being about Laine.

Ehlers has been on fire imo the last few games, he is making slick passes all over the place, should have way more assists.

And for the love of god, let Ehlers try that pp1!

PS you need to play your hot line way more than you do Po.
Lately CSW havent looked sharp imo.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Wow, bottomof page 2 after being a huge part of the ESL line and a huge part of Laine's goal scoring.

13pts in his last 12 games.

I ****ing love Laine, but it's getting a little old hearing Laine is the Jets and every PGT and GDT only being about Laine.

Ehlers has been on fire imo the last few games, he is making slick passes all over the place, should have way more assists.

And for the love of god, let Ehlers try that pp1!

PS you need to play your hot line way more than you do Po.
Lately CSW havent looked sharp imo.

Be the change you want to see in the world. Like this post of yours :).

Ehlers is a beast. All this talk about Laine's development, but Ehlers has grown a lot in my eyes as well.

Great "no-touch pass" in the Dallas game. Beauty.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
My favourite Ehlers moment was his slap-pass to Stastny right on the doorstep. If Stas was one inch left it would've been a free goal.

Definitely a big part of what's making that line buzz.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Jets have a serious problem hitting the line with speed. Seems like Ehlers is the only one doing it. I love his game.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Be the change you want to see in the world. Like this post of yours :).

Ehlers is a beast. All this talk about Laine's development, but Ehlers has grown a lot in my eyes as well.

Great "no-touch pass" in the Dallas game. Beauty.

Your right about that !!! Ehler's is a beast, and 13 points in his last 12 games says a lot. I believe he's at around 54 points for the season, and he'll very easily hit 60 points--not to bad for a 22 year old, that's just starting to come into his own.

Because Laine has been on such a rampage lately he's overshadowing Nik, but a lot of us fans know very well how great Ehlers is playing. I picked him and Laine both to finish in the 60-65 point range this season, and won't be far off. Laine is ahead of Ehlers right now--I believe.

Man--this Jet's team is stacked with offensive talent-Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Scheif, Wheeler, Little, and the list goes on. We will be very hard to knock out in the playoffs--be nice to see the Jet's win the Stanley Cup-- they have the guns to do it-"plus the Goaltending."

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016

Your right about that !!! Ehler's is a beast, and 13 points in his last 12 games says a lot. I believe he's at around 54 points for the season, and he'll very easily hit 60 points--not to bad for a 22 year old, that's just starting to come into his own.

Because Laine has been on such a rampage lately he's overshadowing Nik, but a lot of us fans know very well how great Ehlers is playing. I picked him and Laine both to finish in the 60-65 point range this season, and won't be far off. Laine is ahead of Ehlers right now--I believe.

Man--this Jet's team is stacked with offensive talent-Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Scheif, Wheeler, Little, and the list goes on. We will be very hard to knock out in the playoffs--be nice to see the Jet's win the Stanley Cup-- they have the guns to do it-"plus the Goaltending."

Yeah and Ehlers has been playing in ELL. I don't think this season is very significant in terms of measuring pure output potential when talking about Ehlers and Laine. This is just the prelude for these guys. This is a watered down season. If they are playing on the same line, their fates are intertwined in a big way.

I also fully expect to Ehlers to start finishing more on his own too, not only by returning to his current real average, but by increasing his career average as well. He has been pretty snake-bitten with goals, especially on real high danger chances.

Reactions: GNP

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Ehlers has assisted on 7 of the 13 even strength goals Laine has scored in the last 15 games.
He is 2nd on the team at even strength assists and 4th in total. I suspect the latter would be higher if he got pp1.

What will it take before we stop hearing about Ehlers not being able to pass the puck?

Another fun fact... Ehlers is currently tied with Stamkos and Terasenko in goals while playing less minutes and pp2 :naughty:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

I unno about as of late, but I kind of expect more assists/points with a skater like ehlers. guy should be a dish master

Reactions: Ippenator

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
When our young skilled players man up into their bodies...
tumblr_m1tlm4ljgU1rressco1_r1_500.gif

Lookout NHL...

Reactions: Tommigun

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I unno about as of late, but I kind of expect more assists/points with a skater like ehlers. guy should be a dish master

For context:
Wheeler leads the league in assists. He only has five more than Ehlers at even strength with over 4 min of ice time more on average. People can draw their own conclusions but I think that if Ehlers was in Wheelers role on pp1 and got the same minutes he would be among the league leaders as well. If you look at the top 10 assist list I think it's fair to say they all play pp1 and more minutes. I'm not sure it's fair to compare them with a player that gets just over 16 toi and pp2...

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Ehlers has assisted on 7 of the 13 even strength goals Laine has scored in the last 15 games.
He is 2nd on the team at even strength assists and 4th in total. I suspect the latter would be higher if he got pp1.

What will it take before we stop hearing about Ehlers not being able to pass the puck?

Another fun fact... Ehlers is currently tied with Stamkos and Terasenko in goals while playing less minutes and pp2 :naughty:
I think all it will take is for a few people to just start watching a little closer. It's always been an absurd notion to most. He's been fantastic in the 2nd half particularly, such a huge part of the Jets attack.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
For context:
Wheeler leads the league in assists. He only has five more than Ehlers at even strength with over 4 min of ice time more on average. People can draw their own conclusions but I think that if Ehlers was in Wheelers role on pp1 and got the same minutes he would be among the league leaders as well. If you look at the top 10 assist list I think it's fair to say they all play pp1 and more minutes. I'm not sure it's fair to compare them with a player that gets just over 16 toi and pp2...

ehlers has 28 assists and wheeler has 61. it's not close

I think that it's his decision making. he's got some of the best skates in the league

Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->