Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak - Stay In Yo Lane Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Probably MB's best draft pick (he gets zero credit for drafting galchenyuk who was a top pick)

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Best draft pick from Bergevin is Sergachev.
That player is also right up there in worst trades made by the GM with Subban trade being the other

But I agree with others, if they want to see the kids potential, they need to let him go out there and do his shit. Enough with the 4th line or playing with 4th line players. Give him the best and see what he has, the rest of his game especially on the defensive side can be thought and he will learn, the kills you can't teach. Let him show us what he has

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I wouldn't say he was considered a bust at any point this season considering he was producing at over a point per game in the AHL this year. But certainly last season and the season before there was lots of murmurs of him being a bust.
Like I said, if you considered him a bust you must have never considered the conditions in which he played (being 19 years old, suffering a serious knee injury that required surgery, and other minor injuries) in these 2 AHL seasons into your reasonning. Guy has been snake bitten since he's turned pro, he's just starting now to show consistency and confidence in his game. I'm not accusing the people who called him a bust I'm just pointing out at the circumstances, as to why this kid took more time to develop and seemed to stagnate.

I'll say it again here, when I was playing competitive hockey I played a whole year with a dislocated shoulder. What I can tell you about it is that, injuries do affect IMMENSELY how a player's gonna play the game of hockey. I wouldn't even imagine how bad a serious knee injury would've been on my game. With a shoulder injury you can still play, with a bad knee you most probably can't even skate properly. Props to Scherbak for healing and taking the time to gain the timing and momentum back, and never get discouraged.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Patience Paying off for Montreal Canadiens Nikita Scherbak

He seems to have found his game. Lefebvre actually deserves a lot of the credit. While I’m not a Lefebvre fan, he got it right with Scherbak.

Has Scherbak found his game? I wouldn't know. It's impossible to evaluate a player like him when the idiot coach has him playing with Logan Shaw as his center.

Having said that, put him in the top 6 and I'm sure he'll thrive.

Reactions: Fixxer

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Has Scherbak found his game? I wouldn't know. It's impossible to evaluate a player like him when the idiot coach has him playing with Logan Shaw as his center.

Playing with Shaw is obviously hurting his production, but he's playing really, really well. IN addition to his top flight size/speed/skill package, he has a 6th sense of where the puck is going to go, where he should go, and where his teammates are. I'm really impressed. Only real thing he needs to work on is getting stronger, and maybe shooting more.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Playing with Shaw is obviously hurting his production, but he's playing really, really well. IN addition to his top flight size/speed/skill package, he has a 6th sense of where the puck is going to go, where he should go, and where his teammates are. I'm really impressed. Only real thing he needs to work on is getting stronger, and maybe shooting more.

I think once he gets more confidence he'll shoot more as he has the shot but is a pass first kind of player. Why I wanted him to stay in the AHL was to work on this. It's something Hudon really developed as early on he was the playmaker but he had of worked hard on his shot and got confident over time in using it as it became a major weapon for him in the AHL to the point he was one of the top goal scorers in the league. If Scherbak can use his shot more, it's just going to make him that much more difficult to defend since you don't know is he going to shoot or make a sick pass or go for the deke.

I've been saying if he gets stronger and they work with him on improving his play without the puck/making better decisions he has a very legit chance of being a 1st liner RW within the next few years.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
He needs to get some weight on the frame. His balance is messed up he needs to build his upper body and get his legs bigger. Hopefully he works out with Galchenyuk in off season to get stronger.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

I agree. I am happy with Scherbak's end of the stick. I'm just not happy with the way Julien is using him. I'd like to see him in the right situation, so I can see him produce more and get more experience in offensive situations. Shaw kills the offense on that line.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
Wow...based on what? Scherbak is still seeing as a guy who just doesn't give his effort all the time. And that's a kid trying to finally prove something. Tell me again how Lefebvre worked wonders with him?

You obviously didn’t watch Scherbak much in his first few years in the ahl if you haven’t seen the growth. He himself credits Lefebvre for opening his eyes and making him start putting in the work. Pretty sure I stated things Lefebvre did to help him reach the next step.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland

Even with Logan Shaw, watching Scherbaks instincts and how he reads plays and how he carries himself on the ice now compared to his first few years in the ahl, is a noticeable improvement in my eyes. His time with drouin and galchenyuk showed it even more

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Even with Logan Shaw, watching Scherbaks instincts and how he reads plays and how he carries himself on the ice now compared to his first few years in the ahl, is a noticeable improvement in my eyes. His time with drouin and galchenyuk showed it even more

I know, so why does Julien have him playing with Logan Shaw???

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You obviously didn’t watch Scherbak much in his first few years in the ahl if you haven’t seen the growth. He himself credits Lefebvre for opening his eyes and making him start putting in the work. Pretty sure I stated things Lefebvre did to help him reach the next step.

And yet he is sit down in the NHL and guys around the team that watches practices say that he doesn't put the effort. Yes, of course there is growth. That's what usually happens. He was a good 1st rounder. And you had to see some growth. Should we put out a list of guys that succeeded versus the ones who didn't to see how great Lefebvre is?

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
And yet he is sit down in the NHL and guys around the team that watches practices say that he doesn't put the effort. Yes, of course there is growth. That's what usually happens. He was a good 1st rounder. And you had to see some growth. Should we put out a list of guys that succeeded versus the ones who didn't to see how great Lefebvre is?

He got sat for like one game not really going to stop his development.

Reactions: Phozzwald

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland

Clearly you don’t read.... as CLEARLY stated “I’m not a fan of Lefebvre, but he got it right with Scherbak”

Not once did I state anywhere that I loved him. That he was an amazing coach, or that he developed all players well. I said he helped Scherbak... and Scherbak himself, said this as well.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

Dang. Scherbak really needs to work out and get stronger. He's gotten two injuries this year from getting hit. He gets pushed around too much. It only affects his game so much. But, he's got to be able to avoid the injury bug.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
When do they figure this happened? I didn't watch too much last night but I recall a play where he was looking to pick up steam behind the Jets net only to be easily tossed away by Myers.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Best draft pick from Bergevin is Sergachev.
That player is also right up there in worst trades made by the GM with Subban trade being the other

But I agree with others, if they want to see the kids potential, they need to let him go out there and do his ****. Enough with the 4th line or playing with 4th line players. Give him the best and see what he has, the rest of his game especially on the defensive side can be thought and he will learn, the kills you can't teach. Let him show us what he has

Based on what? A great start?

23pts, +12 in his first 32 games(59pts pace)
16pts, -1 in his last 46 games(29pts pace)

How about you wait a little before calling him a superstar and "one of the worst trades". He got on a hot streak on an all-star team. It's going to take 4-5 years before we get a clear idea on the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad