Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak - Stay In Yo Lane Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
We are most certainly going to roll with 3 maybe 4 scoring lines to make up for the lack of elite established forwards. I could see

Zadina-Plekanec-Drouin
Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Evans-Scherbak
Byron-Hudon-DLo

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
We are most certainly going to roll with 3 maybe 4 scoring lines to make up for the lack of elite established forwards. I could see

Zadina-Plekanec-Drouin
Byron-Hudon-DLo

Would be great if Evans could come in and be a center with some offensive contributions. Danault is our player right now who fits that description (aside from Galchenyuk, but that's another can of worms).

I agree that the only way Hudon can center the 4th line is if someone with speed like Byron is on his wing, but I'd like to see what Carr can do with Deslaurier for 82 games. I think they could give high production considering the minutes they get, like 10-15 goals each, may be closer to 15.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Zadina-Plekanec-Drouin
Byron-Hudon-DLo

Outside of plekky that looks like a decent forward group

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Outside of plekky that looks like a decent forward group

That’s an awful group up the middle. Terrible. Even if you remove Plekanec, you better have a top 10 center in the league because it’s abysmal. The center’s are to important to leave unnoticed. Look at any Cup winners and you’ll see you can’t win without depth in that position and that roster has none.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
That’s an awful group up the middle. Terrible. Even if you remove Plekanec, you better have a top 10 center in the league because it’s abysmal. The center’s are to important to leave unnoticed. Look at any Cup winners and you’ll see you can’t win without depth in that position and that roster has none.

Danault is fine and I don't have a time machine like you to see what evans is like

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Danault is fine and I don't have a time machine like you to see what evans is like

I can just as easily say I don’t have a time machine to see Evans is an NHLer. Danault is not a top 6 center as of now. He’s been overplayed. Bergevin should be burned in front of the Bell Center if he brings Plekanec back and starts playing him consistently on the top 6 again throughout an 82 game schedule. Hudon may or may not become a good complimentary winger but he’s no center at this level. That lineup will get us nowhere except down Miserary Lane.

Jul 6, 2016
Danault could be one of the best THIRD line centerman

Now...

Habs have to find TWO top two line centermen....

Get Tavares on the market
Trade for ROR, or RNH or Draisaitl.... or one of the great kid center they have in LA, St-Louis or Florida

Jul 6, 2016
I can just as easily say I don’t have a time machine to see Evans is an NHLer. Danault is not a top 6 center as of now. He’s been overplayed. Bergevin should be burned in front of the Bell Center if he brings Plekanec back and starts playing him consistently on the top 6 again throughout an 82 game schedule. Hudon may or may not become a good complimentary winger but he’s no center at this level. That lineup will get us nowhere except down Miserary Lane.

...Unless you want to draft top three again in June 2019.....

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
...Unless you want to draft top three again in June 2019.....

If they come out and say they want to rebuild this franchise, then go for it. I won’t criticize. They haven’t revealed anything and everything points to them using duct tape to fix their awful mistakes.

Reactions: Laurentide

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Depends if you want to be a sour old prune or wait and see what evans looks like

I also said specifically "besides plekanec"

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Zadina-Plekanec-Drouin
Byron-Hudon-DLo

Zadina plays RW. I don't see Evans making the team with the sports hernia injury. Takes a while to recover from this 100%. I expect Evans to play two years of AHL and get NHL games here and there in his 2nd pro year. His 3rd Pro Year at age 24 is where we will know what he can do at the NHL level.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
likely will depend on how much his attitude improves, if you have the right attitude you can win hockey games.

If you have no Character (2016 off season), you will have negative Attitude (2018 off season), cause you don't believe in what is in the room (1st quarter of the 2017 Season). What did our management expect with a tank season where a lot went wrong. To have a better attitude at losing games? I'm not a Bergevin hater but man he needs to talk less. He should of just said the season was a disaster and I under estimated the impact at losing Radulov and Markov who are very Experienced, Skilled, and good Leaders. I guess he already used the "it's on me card". Talk less buddy... it's for your own good. Let Molson and others do the talking. Go concentrate with your team of scouts at reinforcing our prospect pool with Grade A prospects. Making moves for the sake of getting us back to the playoffs is a mistake and you will lose your job in this case... 12 months from now. We can get back to being competitive but our ceiling is a 2nd round loss (best case where everything goes right for us). We just have too many holes to fill and trying to fill them through free agency and trades is stupid. Try for Tavares and if we are not successful, target youth.

Better Attitude comment needs to come from the coach in pre-season. Julien also deserves heat for running a terrible camp IMO.

As far as Scherbak. He looks promising if he can stay away from injuries.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
likely will depend on how much his attitude improves, if you have the right attitude you can win hockey games.

Development doesn't matter. If he's good, he'll produce no matter what. If he can't produce with these guys and gets traded for a player who'll be out of the league within months, it'll be Timmins fault if he puts it together with his new team and anyways he was nothing special even if he goes ppg and no one knew it would happen. And if they did, its cause they keep predicting it will happen every time and hockeys not just points.

Anyways, we didn't need more soft wingers.

Everything is fine.

Jul 6, 2016

Zadina-Plekanec-Drouin
Byron-Hudon-DLo

Lots of misplaced players in your line up.

Zadina is a RW evn if he shoots left
Evans won't make the NHL next season
Hudon is not a center
DLo is a left winger
Drouin is more a LW

Plekanec back with the Habs ???? Really ?????

Habs badly need a #1 centerman. There is no iffs and butss about it. It is a MUST !

If Patches is traded, it should be for a centerman. Nothing less.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Lots of misplaced players in your line up.

Zadina is a RW evn if he shoots left
Evans won't make the NHL next season
Hudon is not a center
DLo is a left winger
Drouin is more a LW

Plekanec back with the Habs ???? Really ?????

Zadina plays both wings, but yeah, youre right pretty much.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Give Scherbak and Chucky a full season together with a competent center and they'll flourish. Even Drouin will do. But better, would be Chucky at center and Scherbak on his wing.

Either way I just want to see Scherbak in the top six over guys like Byron, Lehkonen, and even Hudon if it came down to it..

Reactions: Laurentide

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If you have no Character (2016 off season), you will have negative Attitude (2018 off season), cause you don't believe in what is in the room (1st quarter of the 2017 Season). What did our management expect with a tank season where a lot went wrong. To have a better attitude at losing games? I'm not a Bergevin hater but man he needs to talk less. He should of just said the season was a disaster and I under estimated the impact at losing Radulov and Markov who are very Experienced, Skilled, and good Leaders. I guess he already used the "it's on me card". Talk less buddy... it's for your own good. Let Molson and others do the talking. Go concentrate with your team of scouts at reinforcing our prospect pool with Grade A prospects. Making moves for the sake of getting us back to the playoffs is a mistake and you will lose your job in this case... 12 months from now. We can get back to being competitive but our ceiling is a 2nd round loss (best case where everything goes right for us). We just have too many holes to fill and trying to fill them through free agency and trades is stupid. Try for Tavares and if we are not successful, target youth.

Better Attitude comment needs to come from the coach in pre-season. Julien also deserves heat for running a terrible camp IMO.

As far as Scherbak. He looks promising if he can stay away from injuries.

well said! :nod::thumbu:

Give Scherbak and Chucky a full season together with a competent center and they'll flourish. Even Drouin will do. But better, would be Chucky at center and Scherbak on his wing.

Either way I just want to see Scherbak in the top six over guys like Byron, Lehkonen, and even Hudon if it came down to it..

I haven't followed the Hawks, but one player I have thought of that might be a decent fit is Anisimov. A Galchenyuk Anisimov Scherbak line could be interesting. I know Anisimov has a limited NTC, only 10 teams he can be traded to but I'm sure the Hawks would like to free up some cap space although not sure what it would cost or if he's even worth it. Just that you have 2 skilled wingers in Galchenyuk/Scherbak that aren't the best in their own end and maybe he could help them.

This is based off the Habs not rebuilding since I highly doubt MB does, so I'm expecting him to do moves to try to help the team win next year and does need to trade a winger at some point to make room for Scherbak who needs to be given a top 6 spot imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Curious... Does drafting Zadina make Scherbak expendable? Both are Left handed shots that play off wing. Or do we simply move Scherbak to LW to replace patch after we trade him?

Re-Tool Strategy... The best realistic forward line-up I can come up with. And Shaw and Byron will be missing camp too! So that's a spot for Hudon and Carr. Vejdemo could surprise but I can see him going to Europe for one more year. Hope we are able to convince him to play in the AHL for one year though to get use to the NA game. Not sure what we can do to improve our D from what we already have.

Drouin / Stastny / Zadina
Scherbak / Galchenyuk / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Danault / Shaw
Deslaurier / DLR / Byron

Hudon, Carr

Mete / Weber
Reilly / Petry
Alzner / Juulsen

Schlemko, Benn

Price
Niemi

Believe it or not, this is a line-up with almost $12M in cap space! Stastny ($6.5M) and Danault ($3.5M). I think Pleky is back :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->