Prospect Info: Nikita Novikov, D (188th overall, 2021)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Novikov will play in his 20th KHL game today, but offensively is still at 1+2 while averaging ten shifts and seven minutes of ice time. I'll be surprised if he hits his ATOI though since today's opponent is SKA. He has been a +1 in his last three games, improving to +4 on the season.

We didn't draft him for his offense. That he's played in 20 KHL games and is playing a somewhat regular-ish shift is impressive.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
No surprise there, but I can't wait to see how he looks playing against his peers.

From the Taking Charge podcast, it looks like the adding additional weight and working on his foot speed and strength on the puck, he's improved from his 17-to-18 age seasons. Though still a long shot to be an answer in the NHL. He's at least got the size and physique. Either way, he's an interesting guy to cover. It doesn't sound like Kisakov is a guarantee to ever come over, at least based on Dylan Griffing who covers the KHL for Elite Prospects.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
From the Taking Charge podcast, it looks like the adding additional weight and working on his foot speed and strength on the puck, he's improved from his 17-to-18 age seasons. Though still a long shot to be an answer in the NHL. He's at least got the size and physique. Either way, he's an interesting guy to cover. It doesn't sound like Kisakov is a guarantee to ever come over, at least based on Dylan Griffing who covers the KHL for Elite Prospects.

I wouldn't worry. If he turns out to be good, and we're not a disaster, he'll come. He has plenty of development to go through first though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Watching the entire Canada-Russia pre-tournament game to key on him. Probably the best Russian defenseman in that game IMO - one mistake being the late penalty he took on Wright. Just a very solid guy in his own zone and of most of their all left-shot crew, he looked comfortable on the right side.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Crazy OT 3-on-3 play that he almost scores on a wrap-around that then leads to a 2-on-0 against that doesn't go in for RVT. Strong game though - much more there than in his KHL games as he clearly is bigger and more confident than some of his opposition.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A goal and an assist (on what is the go-ahead goal in a 4-3 game late in the third) today. Interesting kid.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Wheeler has Novikov as the Sabres #17 prospect in his annual ranking of NHL prospect pools (Sabres are #1)

Wheeler’s 2022 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 1 Buffalo Sabres – The Athletic

17. Nikita Novikov, LHD, 18 (Dynamo Moskva)
Novikov has shown real promise this season as a sixth-round pick. He hasn’t looked out of place in the KHL, he has shown really well on a recent demotion to the junior level MHL, and he was going to play an important role on the Russian blue line at the world juniors. In Novikov, the appeal is in the physical tools (he’s already 6-foot-4 and over 200 pounds) and his impressive effectiveness defensively. But he can also move the puck on outlets and really shoot it, and he’s starting to play more confidently in control. His statistical profile may not jump out at you, but he’s a standout defender whose game is more rounded than it might appear at first glance.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I see he put in just under 5 minutes in Dynamo's opening game loss to Severstal in the KHL playoffs. He's in the lineup but as the #7 d-man. Game 2 is going on right now, looks like Dynamo is going to be down 2-0 if the score holds.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dynamo advanced in 7 games over Severstol. Novikov looks like he was scratched for the deciding game. He was getting about 4.5 minutes a game to start the series.

Eric O'Dell and Andre Petersson have both left the team, who opens against SKA tomorrow in round 2.

Reactions: Fjordy

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Dynamo started skating on July 14th, so Novikov should be is back on the ice. As of now, his contract expires April 30, 2023. Edit: Spotted, right-most skater in black jersey:

s64OJH3NhXT9RKYaFIsb.jpg

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

19. Nikita Novikov, D

18 years old | 6-foot-3 | 196 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 188 in 2021
Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: Below NHL average
Puck skills: Below NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average

Analysis: Novikov got a regular shift on a strong KHL team as an 18-year-old defenseman. His skill set doesn’t jump off the page, but he’s a tall, intelligent defenseman who can make plays at both ends of the ice. His skating needs work, but I think there’s enough to his all-around game to be a steady third-pair defenseman.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

Something interesting I noticed on the KHL box scores for their games is they track players average and top speeds.

Novikov had the highest average speed among Dmen for either team in both games he's played so far and was also higher than most of the forwards for both teams. He also had the highest top speed of any of the Dynamo or opposing teams skaters in both games. I didn't realize he was that fast.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Something interesting I noticed on the KHL box scores for their games is they track players average and top speeds.

Novikov had the highest average speed among Dmen for either team in both games he's played so far and was also higher than most of the forwards for both teams. He also had the highest top speed of any of the Dynamo or opposing teams skaters in both games. I didn't realize he was that fast.

Alternatively he's always out of position :eek3:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Pronman says his skating is "below NHL average." Must not be any NHL players on those teams :)

Reactions: Dingo44

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Ive been hearing whispers about how underrated this kid is. Theres this tweet from inside blue and gold (STH event with Kevyn Adams)

His contract is up in Russia this year, he could step into Roch next year and may even get a legit chance to fight for the 3LD spot in camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad