Nikita "Marschak" Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think Sergei Kostitsyn continues to get underrated around here. If he wasn't a little **** he would have been a great player on the team. He was physical, he wouldn't back down, he had great puck control and hands, excellent vision and playmaking ability, while he didn't use it enough, he had a very good wrist shot.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Why was he still available at pick 26 last year?

The Russian factor played a bit of a part I guess, although playing in the dub should have calmed a lot of the doubts. That and it was already common knowledge that he'd had something of a falling out with the Russian Federation. He couldn't get a visa in time to attend the pre-draft combine which I read somewhere might have raised a few red flags for some teams.
All in all we got a bit lucky and I'm real glad we did :nod:

Last edited:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I think Sergei Kostitsyn continues to get underrated around here. If he wasn't a little **** he would have been a great player on the team. He was physical, he wouldn't back down, he had great puck control and hands, excellent vision and playmaking ability, while he didn't use it enough, he had a very good wrist shot.

He, like a lot of players at every level, have a really good skillset, but it doesn't mean anything if you can't put it together. It's not always a mater of will, but the mental side of the game is a really important aspect of player development.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

I agree he had off ice issue which kind derailed is career but he was a very good player created a lot of scoring chance, he could have been a solid top 6 player.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He, like a lot of players at every level, have a really good skillset, but it doesn't mean anything if you can't put it together. It's not always a mater of will, but the mental side of the game is a really important aspect of player development.

Near 30 pts his first two seasons with the Habs.. (neither were full seasons). 50 pts and 45 pts for Nashville.

He was a good player but he was too much of a headcase to keep around for the production.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The Russian factor played a bit of a part I guess, although playing in the dub should have calmed a lot of the doubts. That and it was already common knowledge that he'd had something of a falling out with the Russian Federation. He couldn't get a visa in time to attend the pre-draft combine which I read somewhere might have raised a few red flags for some teams.
All in all we got a bit lucky and I'm real glad we did :nod:

Red flag might of also came from is MHL team where he had some friction. Some scout also mention that he kind of came out of nowhere so some felt that this might a good enough sample size, when you had other player that dominated since they were 16yo.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Near 30 pts his first two seasons with the Habs.. (neither were full seasons). 50 pts and 45 pts for Nashville.

He was a good player but he was too much of a headcase to keep around for the production.

Meh, I never thought he was a good player, but he had good potential. For me a good player is the one who plays his game every game and you know what to expect out of him night/night out. I don't think he ever reached that level. He could put on a great display of his potential here and there, but failed at the consistency aspect of it. The production was decent, his game could've been much better though.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I liked Serge best in his very first callups where he played with a bit of a physical edge. That facet of his game pretty much disappeared completely afterwards. He had that swagger element that I hadn't seen in a more skilled Habs prospect in a long while at the time. For some reason he bacame more and more disinterested as he matured.

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
I liked Serge best in his very first callups where he played with a bit of a physical edge. That facet of his game pretty much disappeared completely afterwards. He had that swagger element that I hadn't seen in a more skilled Habs prospect in a long while at the time. For some reason he bacame more and more disinterested as he matured.

Matured??? It doesn't apply to Serge.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I think about the type of forward the Habs need to compete successfully with the Lightning. He'd be a RH shooting Pacioretty.Babblng about the Kostitsyns and other relics doesn't deal with present needs.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
The kost got wrapped up in the bad aspects of Montreal. If they had been sheparded better, and had better ice time(fricking 4th and being benched) then would have been solid players. I think they were not developed properly no matter how many times people say "they had their chance" Good thing we gave up on a guy with 50 odd points, physical and good puck control. Meanwhile we had people defending bourque for three seasons(though playoff bork was awesome) I seem to remember AK being good in the post season as well.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

The tools were definitely there, but the work ethic was often an issue. In the KHL he is good enough to be top line on skill alone, NHL he was up and down, some nights he looked like a 1st liner other times he looked like an ECHLer.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Let's not get carried away trying to compare Scherbak with Ovechkin, Scherbak plays hard and is consistently the best player on either team in his WHL games. That bodes well for a long career in the NHL as a top six player for the Habs, with the upside of becoming an Elite winger/PWF type depending upon his development. A steal @ 26th OV, IMHO.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
Let's not get carried away trying to compare Scherbak with Ovechkin, Scherbak plays hard and is consistently the best player on either team in his WHL games. That bodes well for a long career in the NHL as a top six player for the Habs, with the upside of becoming an Elite winger/PWF type depending upon his development. A steal @ 26th OV, IMHO.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Yes.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Headcase. Otherwise he'd have had a good career as a secondary scorer in the NHL.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Scherbak is NOT Ovechkin. He is not as physical as Ovechkin nor is he the goal scorer OV is. The best comparison for Scherbak is Voracek: a strong skating, playmaking winger who can create space for himself to get off a fairly good shot.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The tools were definitely there, but the work ethic was often an issue. In the KHL he is good enough to be top line on skill alone, NHL he was up and down, some nights he looked like a 1st liner other times he looked like an ECHLer.

There was also a footspeed issue. Scherbak is faster. So is most of the NHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Scherbak is NOT Ovechkin. He is not as physical as Ovechkin nor is he the goal scorer OV is. The best comparison for Scherbak is Voracek: a strong skating, playmaking winger who can create space for himself to get off a fairly good shot.

I like Galchenyuk as a comparison for Scherbak, really hope to see them get a look together.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I think Scherbak's best comparable is Galchenyuk.

But Voracek is also a good guess. Either way, this is the late first round pick I've loved the most in recent years. Hell, the vast majority of posters on HF are happy with the pick, THAT says something.

kernkraft

Jul 8, 2006
Kanata
I think Scherbak's best comparable is Galchenyuk.

But Voracek is also a good guess. Either way, this is the late first round pick I've loved the most in recent years. Hell, the vast majority of posters on HF are happy with the pick, THAT says something.

Very good comparison. Hadn't thought of that one. If only he was a righty on top of that.

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
When he was draft, TSN compare Sherback to Voracek. I think that he will complete a solid pair with Galchenyuk because of his creativity and hockey IQ. They will be our first line duo. Not Galchenyuk and Pacioretty. Max will play with them and get tons of points, but it will the two young russians who will create the scoring chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad