Nic Petan

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm purposely taking the under on our prospects.He's talked about here like he's a sure thing blue chip prospect. He's far from it. Time will tell. I hope he works out.

Not many prospects with the same accomplishments by age 19. I've seen enough very good things about him this year to indicate to me that he'll be a top offensive player.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not many prospects with the same accomplishments by age 19. I've seen enough very good things about him this year to indicate to me that he'll be a top offensive player.

Sure, resume is fine. Will he take it to the next level as a 21 or 22 year old? :popcorn:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Let Petan learn the big man's game on the farm. I'm sure he will make the NHL.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

You can count on one hand 17, 18 and 19 year-olds that have scored like him in the WHL in the past 50 years.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You can count on one hand 17, 18 and 19 year-olds that have scored like him in the WHL in the past 50 years.

Yes but he still may not make it in the NHL. Aavco is not saying won't make it or probably won't make it. He is saying might not and that is correct. He is not a gold-plated certainty. He also may have to play for another team if he is to make it.

His resume is very good. His performance since being sent down to the Moose is very encouraging. In spite of that he might turn out to be a star in the AHL at his peak.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yes but he still may not make it in the NHL. Aavco is not saying won't make it or probably won't make it. He is saying might not and that is correct. He is not a gold-plated certainty. He also may have to play for another team if he is to make it.

His resume is very good. His performance since being sent down to the Moose is very encouraging. In spite of that he might turn out to be a star in the AHL at his peak.

Is there such a thing as a gold plated second rounder? You can say "might not make it" about all of them, not sure that makes much of a statement really.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is there such a thing as a gold plated second rounder? You can say "might not make it" about all of them, not sure that makes much of a statement really.

He is in D+3. By that time some might be considered gold-plated. But it isn't really about that. It is about how he is being perceived by some here regardless of his draft position. Many thought he should have gone in the first round but was passed over because of size. Might not make it is just a dose of realism. No more. We tend to expect all of our prospects to live up to their highest projections.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We need to consider Petan's AHL production in relation to the very low-scoring team the Moose are....

Ratio of ppg / avg goals per game (team) - AHL

William Nylander (2015/16) - 0.329
Gustav Nyquist (2012/13) - 0.336
Nic Petan (2015/16) - 0.364

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
He is in D+3. By that time some might be considered gold-plated. But it isn't really about that. It is about how he is being perceived by some here regardless of his draft position. Many thought he should have gone in the first round but was passed over because of size. Might not make it is just a dose of realism. No more. We tend to expect all of our prospects to live up to their highest projections.

A dose of reality based on something that goes without saying is my point. I appreciate the education though :) .

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Caught my first Moose game this past weekend, watched Petan closely. His vision was solid, made nice passes tape to tape, working the half wall on the PP. His skating is there, smoother than most on the team, and he gets in to the dirty areas, does not shy away from corner play.

He did take a really stupid penalty, out of frustration, that negated a power play, so he would fit right in with the Jets.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
We need to consider Petan's AHL production in relation to the very low-scoring team the Moose are....

Ratio of ppg / avg goals per game (team) - AHL

William Nylander (2015/16) - 0.329
Gustav Nyquist (2012/13) - 0.336
Nic Petan (2015/16) - 0.364

Nic has 13 points. The team has scored 41 goals in games he played in. Isn't that .317?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nic has 13 points. The team has scored 41 goals in games he played in. Isn't that .317?

Yup.

But I didn't compute it game-for-game for any of them, because I didn't want to bother trying to look at which games they played and didn't. It's just a calculation of the individuals' point/game vs. the team's goals/game overall.

The main point is that Petan's production on a relative basis for the team's performance is quite solid when you compare to other high-scoring AHLers.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
"So Nic, why were you and Jan late for practice"

"Caught a train at Wilkes"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad