Nic Petan

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Yea my guess is they both get work in the top 9 and Nic will need to earn his stripes. Thor is not very good but he is safe and predictable and Nic will need to take advantage of his time when he gets it. Just another step which I am looking forward to.

I've never understood why being bad makes you "safe" and always being bad makes you "predictable" in a positive sense.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I've never understood why being bad makes you "safe" and always being bad makes you "predictable" in a positive sense.

Thorburn doesn't make defensive mistakes. He chips pucks out and is a safe player in the defensive end. Much preferable to the erratic play of a certain other non-scoring winger on the Jets who is predictably always out of position and turns pucks over at a rate that is almost impressive if it wasn't depressing.

I still think Petan would benefit from some time in the AHL. Get used to the pro game while generating some offense. Would love if the Jets had placed a claim on a player to improve their bad forward depth.
LLW
PSE
BLS
Panik/Friberg - Copp - Thorburn
Raffl

Would be so much better. Then if you have a top 9 injury you just call up Petan which is easy since the Moose are in the same city.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Thorburn doesn't make defensive mistakes. He chips pucks out and is a safe player in the defensive end. Much preferable to the erratic play of a certain other non-scoring winger on the Jets who is predictably always out of position and turns pucks over at a rate that is almost impressive if it wasn't depressing.

I still think Petan would benefit from some time in the AHL. Get used to the pro game while generating some offense. Would love if the Jets had placed a claim on a player to improve their bad forward depth.
LLW
PSE
BLS
Panik/Friberg - Copp - Thorburn
Raffl

Would be so much better. Then if you have a top 9 injury you just call up Petan which is easy since the Moose are in the same city.

I agree he definitely attempts to make the lowest risk play, somehow it is often still dangerous though.

I don't see eye to eye with you on defensive positioning, I've never found Thorburn to good positionally in his own end. The numbers say he isn't horrific in the shot repression department so who knows I might be out to lunch

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I have yet to see much to show me that Petan is capable of his defensive assignments for a larger role. Granted his body of work has been exclusively on the 4th line to date and he may perform better with better players in a more natural role. I guess it may be worth a shot, but he looks like he needs AHL time to me atm. Too bad our AHL team is a tire fire atm.

I agree. I absolutely love what this kid can bring to the table but I think he needs some seasoning. He gets easier zone starts then Burmi and still has worse possession stats. Burmi gets much tougher match-ups too. I really don't think Petan would excel in that situation at all at this stage in his career.
If we had a better system to send him to he could really benefit from it, the Moose could too. He would get 1st line time, PP time and we could even try him out on the PK down there. I just think he needs more time to adjust. It's not a knock on him at all, which people seem to really take to heart. It's good he has some big fans already but we have to put our big #1 fan foamy hands aside and realize that he isn't quite ready for big 5v5 NHL minutes yet. Copp has been just OK on that 4th line. But Petan has struggled.

You both may be right. But I think the kid just might surprise with a better opportunity to show his offensive upside. It would be nice if the Moose were not a tire fire if that's where he ends up.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't see movement between our 2nd and 3rd lines as a promotion or a demotion. I see MP moving down as providing a little shelter for Petan, and better offensive matchups to help get him producing. MP has been pushing possession very well this season and might be a nice addition to the 3rd. The 3rd line might have been created by design, but IMO they really haven't been very effective. The "boatload" of hard match ups has been taken by LLW, not BLS.
Yeah...but Petan isn't on the 2nd or 3rd line, he's on the 4th. If you move him up someone has to move down. That's my whole point.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah...but Petan isn't on the 2nd or 3rd line, he's on the 4th. If you move him up someone has to move down. That's my whole point.

At this point I'd drop Burmi to the 4th to give Petan his opportunity higher up the roster.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
At this point I'd drop Burmi to the 4th to give Petan his opportunity higher up the roster.

I really don't think Petan would excel on a line that faces every teams toughest lines all game like Burmi's. He has trouble enough with other teams 4th lines. It's not a knock on his size or anything I just don't think he has the defensive ability that Burmi has and even Burmi is having trouble. Petan would do better on Scheifs line. But then you have to move Perreault somewhere.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really don't think Petan would excel on a line that faces every teams toughest lines all game like Burmi's. He has trouble enough with other teams 4th lines. It's not a knock on his size or anything I just don't think he has the defensive ability that Burmi has and even Burmi is having trouble. Petan would do better on Scheifs line. But then you have to move Perreault somewhere.

If the point is to see what Petan can do I would put him on the 3rd line but change its usage to a more sheltered or offensive one. Just because it is being used a certain way now doesn't mean it always has to be.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
If the point is to see what Petan can do I would put him on the 3rd line but change its usage to a more sheltered or offensive one. Just because it is being used a certain way now doesn't mean it always has to be.

Then that subjects a real high powered offensive line in the Perreault - Scheifele - Ehlers line to taking harder match ups which to me isn't a good sacrifice for the team as a whole.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Then that subjects a real high powered offensive line in the Perreault - Scheifele - Ehlers line to taking harder match ups which to me isn't a good sacrifice for the team as a whole.

First off B-L-S hasn't had the toughest matchups, that has fallen to LLW, who is also expected to generate offense which they have done. LLW continues to be the work horse of this team in virtually every facet of the game. So as a so called down line B-L-S have actually been slightly sheltered. But the have had their butt handed to them both possession wise and 5-5 GA60, and have produced little offense. Virtually none if you remove Stafford. While B-L-S have had slightly tougher matchups than P-S-E, P-S-E has had far better possession numbers and is producing offensively at a far greater rate. At the 2 ends of the spectrum, Ehlers is 2.80 while Burmi is 0.74 5-5 points/60.

So to get back to our little thought experiment, if your goal was to give Petan a better opportunity to excel you move him up to the 2nd line to play with Scheifele and Ehlers. Matchups aren't tough and he would play with 2 guys that have been pushing possession and filling the net. You drop MP to play with Lowry and Stafford. MP has been the Jets best possession player this season so maybe a little offensive zone time helps this line get on track, and MP and Stafford could at least work with each other to produce offense. You drop Burmi to the 4th and move him to centre. The line still won't produce any offense but you could at least run them 10+ minutes and expect them to play a defensively responsible game.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I would agree with this. Both Scheifele and Perrault beat tougher minutes last year than what the BLS line is facing now. Switch the usage and I'm sure they'd beat the matchups and still produce at a solid clip.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
First off B-L-S hasn't had the toughest matchups, that has fallen to LLW, who is also expected to generate offense which they have done. LLW continues to be the work horse of this team in virtually every facet of the game. So as a so called down line B-L-S have actually been slightly sheltered. But the have had their butt handed to them both possession wise and 5-5 GA60, and have produced little offense. Virtually none if you remove Stafford. While B-L-S have had slightly tougher matchups than P-S-E, P-S-E has had far better possession numbers and is producing offensively at a far greater rate. At the 2 ends of the spectrum, Ehlers is 2.80 while Burmi is 0.74 5-5 points/60.

So to get back to our little thought experiment, if your goal was to give Petan a better opportunity to excel you move him up to the 2nd line to play with Scheifele and Ehlers. Matchups aren't tough and he would play with 2 guys that have been pushing possession and filling the net. You drop MP to play with Lowry and Stafford. MP has been the Jets best possession player this season so maybe a little offensive zone time helps this line get on track, and MP and Stafford could at least work with each other to produce offense. You drop Burmi to the 4th and move him to centre. The line still won't produce any offense but you could at least run them 10+ minutes and expect them to play a defensively responsible game.

BLS might not get the absolute toughest matchups but they get their fair share and they get the worst zone starts by a country mile. Perreault is our best possession driver so why put him down on a line where he is going to have tougher matchups and have to play defence more when we know he can excel as being a more offensive player. Essentially what you are saying is let Petan have that spot, even though he hasn't earned it, and let Perreault be the new 3rd line fall guy. I love what Maurice has been doing with the zone starts and tactics of these lines the team has excelled more than they haven't. We just need to switch guys up when others faulter and so far our top 2 lines have done extremely well considering. It's the 3rd line that needs fixing IMO. Burmi and Lowry just aren't getting it done.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I'm not necessarily recommending it. I said "If the point is to see". That BLS line is being used the way it is because Burmi is on it. If he is not on it I would expect its usage to change somewhat, no?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
BLS might not get the absolute toughest matchups but they get their fair share and they get the worst zone starts by a country mile. Perreault is our best possession driver so why put him down on a line where he is going to have tougher matchups and have to play defence more when we know he can excel as being a more offensive player. Essentially what you are saying is let Petan have that spot, even though he hasn't earned it, and let Perreault be the new 3rd line fall guy. I love what Maurice has been doing with the zone starts and tactics of these lines the team has excelled more than they haven't. We just need to switch guys up when others faulter and so far our top 2 lines have done extremely well considering. It's the 3rd line that needs fixing IMO. Burmi and Lowry just aren't getting it done.

I wouldn't want to touch our top 2 lines right now. They are working too well.

I would be interested in seeing the effect of switching Burmi and Petan. If Copp is out this is an ideal time to do it. Please do not judge Burmi on the 4th line if he is centring Thor and Peluso. :help:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm not necessarily recommending it. I said "If the point is to see". That BLS line is being used the way it is because Burmi is on it. If he is not on it I would expect its usage to change somewhat, no?

I think the role of BLS is to take some of the defensive weight off of LLW. Take some of the harder defensive zone matchups. So they aren't so banged up this year. Also so they can provide more offence. I think we are already seeing the results of that with their stat lines. Has Wheeler ever had this good of a start to a season?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I wouldn't want to touch our top 2 lines right now. They are working too well.

I would be interested in seeing the effect of switching Burmi and Petan. If Copp is out this is an ideal time to do it. Please do not judge Burmi on the 4th line if he is centring Thor and Peluso. :help:

That I could live with. This is Petans shot at showing us he can play center within the organization. Though I think PMO will put him on the 4th tonight.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Petan is getting his ice time now in the AHL and that's where he should have started the season. He wasn't ready for the NHL. Maybe he'll never make it?

I thought Petan was ready out of TC a year ago. I thought he was even more ready this year. The results say I was wrong both times. We'll never know if it would have been different with better linemates but there was no vacancy with better linemates. Now we just have to hope that the Moose prepare him for the Jets.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I thought Petan was ready out of TC a year ago. I thought he was even more ready this year. The results say I was wrong both times. We'll never know if it would have been different with better linemates but there was no vacancy with better linemates. Now we just have to hope that the Moose prepare him for the Jets.

I think it is safe to say that would have been the case. Petan is nearly a PPG player on an offensively terrible Moose team, he is producing at a better rate in the AHL than many other prospects who have made the Jets. .81 PPG 20 year old players in the AHL are usually NHL ready

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it is safe to say that would have been the case. Petan is nearly a PPG player on an offensively terrible Moose team, he is producing at a better rate in the AHL than many other prospects who have made the Jets. .81 PPG 20 year old players in the AHL are usually NHL ready

There really was no other place to put him though. I think that if he had been kept here on the 4th he would probably have improved by season's end but he can do that better in the A with quality minutes. Next TC he will be ready to challenge for a top 9 spot. I don't know who he will have to beat out. There may be quite a few things change before then. If he can't win a job he will go back to the A.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
There really was no other place to put him though. I think that if he had been kept here on the 4th he would probably have improved by season's end but he can do that better in the A with quality minutes. Next TC he will be ready to challenge for a top 9 spot. I don't know who he will have to beat out. There may be quite a few things change before then. If he can't win a job he will go back to the A.

He also may never be an NHL player.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You keep saying this, any reason why? Other than his performance in a pretty mis-cast role this season or just that most 2nd rounders are a crap shoot anyway?

I'm purposely taking the under on our prospects.He's talked about here like he's a sure thing blue chip prospect. He's far from it. Time will tell. I hope he works out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad