Nic Petan

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Simple poll, simple question.
Are the Jets a better team this year with Nic Petan in the lineup or are they a better team with him in Portland.

Not about how best to foster his development or anything else. Just as stated above.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Yes. He's a better chance than most of the current bottom-6, so why not?

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
IMO right now he should

Looking at the roster situation. I think Ehlers could benefit from going back to junior. Lowry is close, but him being able to go to the AHL and continue to improve makes me think they may as well do that.. Can call him up whenever needed.

I think he is as good as O'Dell but offers more (PP half wall game, plus upside). I think he is more skilled and certainly has a tonne more upside than guys like Galiardi, Halischuck etc...

I think he should at least get the 9 game look to show what he can do. He's played 3 years of junior and dominated. I say give him a shot. I cant think of anyone else that is a better choice right now.

Derfel*

Give him an 8-game look and decide, but I think right now that decision would be to send him back.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Si. I don't think Petan will improve by being sent back to junior to dominate there again. I also think he has the potential to put up a fair amount of points, even at this point. And he wouldn't be a liability defensively.

That is why I think he's the best option right now. I don't think Galiardi has the potential to put up a lot of points in an offensive role. I think Ehlers stands to gain a lot from returning to juniors for a year and bulk up. And I think that the potential positive for our team is greater with Petan in that spot than O'Dell.

Also, unlike Petan, O'Dell and Galiardi can be put in a 4th line role with limited time until someone gets injured, and it wouldn't hurt their development.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We are going to need at least 11 top 9 forwards so why not? I am not a fan of 9 game trials since the first 20 games probably decide if we are in or out of the playoffs but I have said it before I think Nic would develop more with 40 (ish) NHL games and a trip to the WJC's than he would back in Portland.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Based on what we've seen, I would say yes. I think even playing a role on the 3rd line, practicing with NHL'ers, living and adjusting to the pro life, working with our trainers and staff, etc. would be more beneficial to Petan at his current stage of development than another year dominating the WHL. I think there is also a fine chance that at some point Petan could see top 6 time if there's an injury or such.

I think it would be beneficial for Petan to be in the NHL, and also beneficial to the Jets as I believe Petan could be an efficient player in our top 9 in comparison to the roster competition.

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm not sure he can contribute here, but it would be an absolute shame to see him in the dub. I can't see any way that it could be a positive thing for him. On a related note.......maybe time to re-think agreements with the CHL.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I think he should make the team.

I don't think he will though. It's just the feeling I have.

I really wish he could go to the AHL, there's nothing left for him to do in the CHL.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
bring on the skill - yes we want him now. Of course, next question is does he get used properly or get placed on the 4th line until he earns a shot with more skilled guys?

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
oooo...

Clever question. I thought the poll would involve where he would be this year, or what would be better for his development.

He would make the team better.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yup.

Putting aside developmental considerations, there's no question that the Jets would be better off with him in the lineup.

I would agree with this, based on what I've seen. I think he would be a strong option in the bottom 6, with the potential to move up the line-up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him overtake O'Dell in terms of effectiveness and productivity very quickly.

How about this...

Ladd-Little-Buff
Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler
Lowry-Perreault-Frolik
Tangradi-Petan-Galiardi

or this...

Ladd-Little-Frolik
Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler
Tangradi-Perreault-Buff
Petan-Lowry-Galiardi

or this...

Ladd-Little-Frolik
Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler
Petan-Perreault-Buff
Tangradi-Lowry-Galiardi

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets need more skill.
This is one way to get it.

I couldn't agree more. That's why I have been so happy with the drafting of Morrissey, Petan and Ehlers. We needed more players with high-end skill and IQ to improve our possession ability.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not sure he can contribute here, but it would be an absolute shame to see him in the dub. I can't see any way that it could be a positive thing for him. On a related note.......maybe time to re-think agreements with the CHL.

Pretty hard to make significant change there. I don't remember all the details but the legalities are pretty complex and difficult. The CHL could make a case, I think for not drafting anybody until their jr careers are over. The NCAA might get involved with a similar position. Very messy can of worms probably best left alone.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would agree with this, based on what I've seen. I think he would be a strong option in the bottom 6, with the potential to move up the line-up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him overtake O'Dell in terms of effectiveness and productivity very quickly.

How about this...

Ladd-Little-Buff
Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler
Lowry-Perreault-Frolik
Tangradi-Petan-Galiardi

Don't like this unless you swap Lowry & Petan.

or this...

Ladd-Little-Frolik
Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler
Tangradi-Perreault-Buff
Petan-Lowry-Galiardi

This could be interesting if it was transitional. 20-30 games then swap Tangradi & Petan.

or this...

Ladd-Little-Frolik
Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler
Petan-Perreault-Buff
Tangradi-Lowry-Galiardi

I like this best. But where is Slater? It is easy to forget him after the last 2 shortened seasons but he was pretty good in the '12 season. He plays a game a lot like Lowry's, good FOs, lots of good use of the body. I'm expecting Lowry to replace him next year, not this year. JMO

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Everytime I've watched him via Penticton or these pre-season games he's looked good. Usually not the most flashy player but he makes things happen when he has the puck, not to mention he plays the defence game fairly well as well. He's going to learn more staying up than if he was sent down to the WHL. And I think he could be a plus player in our bottom 6. Will need to watch a few more pre-season games to get a better idea, but I think he looks ready to help us out on an NHL level from what I've seen at this point.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
IMO right now he should

Looking at the roster situation. I think Ehlers could benefit from going back to junior. Lowry is close, but him being able to go to the AHL and continue to improve makes me think they may as well do that.. Can call him up whenever needed.

I think he is as good as O'Dell but offers more (PP half wall game, plus upside). I think he is more skilled and certainly has a tonne more upside than guys like Galiardi, Halischuck etc...

I think he should at least get the 9 game look to show what he can do. He's played 3 years of junior and dominated. I say give him a shot. I cant think of anyone else that is a better choice right now.

Si. I don't think Petan will improve by being sent back to junior to dominate there again. I also think he has the potential to put up a fair amount of points, even at this point. And he wouldn't be a liability defensively.

That is why I think he's the best option right now. I don't think Galiardi has the potential to put up a lot of points in an offensive role. I think Ehlers stands to gain a lot from returning to juniors for a year and bulk up. And I think that the potential positive for our team is greater with Petan in that spot than O'Dell.

Also, unlike Petan, O'Dell and Galiardi can be put in a 4th line role with limited time until someone gets injured, and it wouldn't hurt their development.

We are going to need at least 11 top 9 forwards so why not? I am not a fan of 9 game trials since the first 20 games probably decide if we are in or out of the playoffs but I have said it before I think Nic would develop more with 40 (ish) NHL games and a trip to the WJC's than he would back in Portland.

Yup.

Putting aside developmental considerations, there's no question that the Jets would be better off with him in the lineup.

Based on what we've seen, I would say yes. I think even playing a role on the 3rd line, practicing with NHL'ers, living and adjusting to the pro life, working with our trainers and staff, etc. would be more beneficial to Petan at his current stage of development than another year dominating the WHL. I think there is also a fine chance that at some point Petan could see top 6 time if there's an injury or such.

I think it would be beneficial for Petan to be in the NHL, and also beneficial to the Jets as I believe Petan could be an efficient player in our top 9 in comparison to the roster competition.

Jets need more skill.
This is one way to get it.

bring on the skill - yes we want him now. Of course, next question is does he get used properly or get placed on the 4th line until he earns a shot with more skilled guys?

I couldn't agree more. That's why I have been so happy with the drafting of Morrissey, Petan and Ehlers. We needed more players with high-end skill and IQ to improve our possession ability.

All of these .... especially what Garrett said & seconded by several.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I would give him nine games guaranteed. Full season, I don't know. I mean he's too good for the WHL and he can't play in the AHL. But I think he's earned it, he knows how to play against men and what its like to play pro, but I think he shouldn't be in the NHL this year. I just say nine game and back to Portland so he could light it up and get tons of ice time. Winnipeg could give him less and its not worth the risk for a whole season.

Ladd-Little-Byfuglien
Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler
Halischuk-Perrault-Frolik
Peluso-Slater-Thorburn

Also we have no room for him. Even Lowry did well, he should be the head call-up for the team.
But if we trade Kane and Petan does well in the nine games, I say he could take his place. But I think Ehlers makes it too.

Opening season:
Ladd-Little-Ehlers
Petan-Scheifele-Wheeler
Kane-Perrault-Frolik

Last edited:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
If he were poor defensively I'd probably say no. But he isn't, so yes. Skill and responsibility, I'm all for it.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Pretty hard to make significant change there. I don't remember all the details but the legalities are pretty complex and difficult. The CHL could make a case, I think for not drafting anybody until their jr careers are over. The NCAA might get involved with a similar position. Very messy can of worms probably best left alone.

Not to hijack the thread, but things will certainly be changing with the CHL. They've been bullying players and other leagues for years and its all coming to a head eventually. I can't even count all the lawsuits going on right now. Class action suits from players, NCAA, ECHL, plus the anti-trust issues in the states.

What I'd like to see is a deal where players can play minor pro after 3 years or turning 19 by Dec 21. Basically taking one year off the current requirements and paying a transfer fee to be split between the CHL team and the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad