Nic Petan

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I want to see Petan with Ehlers on the PP, not one or the other. Make the future now.

Don't they normally play on PP2 together?

I thought it's normally:

PP1: Ladd-Little-Wheeler-Perreault-Byfuglien
PP2: Stafford-Scheifele-Ehlers-Petan-Myers
PP3*: Ladd-Little-Wheeler-Enstrom-Byfuglien

*if there is another draw but PP is expiring so they don't want to have only 1 D on ice for when it goes 5v5

Looking at PP TOI/GP, I believe that is what it is.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I thought it's normally:

*if there is another draw but PP is expiring so they don't want to have only 1 D on ice for when it goes 5v5

This is correct. Ehlers is taking the same role that Perreault has in PP1 but it is mirror image on the other side of the ice.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

I thought it's normally:

I really like PP2 & wish they would use it more. They are usually the ones starting second & are usually short-changed for time. I find them far more dangerous than PP1, but maybe that is not supported by the numbers?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
A resounding no. Lowry has been very good defensively, allowing his wingers to produce offense. He matches up well against top players, and has been good in the circle. He's pretty much a lock at 3C for years to come. Petan just is not physical enough to replace what Burmi brings. Not yet. He was given a couple of shifts when Burmi struggled and did not impress. I think he may end up there, if Burmi is too cute with the puck in his own end, and takes dumb penalties, but I don't think he is quite ready for a challenging defensive role.

I like Petan, and what he brings, but anyone that thinks that he will not get better with time in the A is forgetting how development works. Look at Lowry. He was physically ready to play in the NHL at 20. But the Jets organization gave him a full year of development at C, hard to argue that wasn't a good decision.

Petan's case is more difficult. We started him as a C in TC. But he did not have a chance against the more defensively astute and mature Copp, so the decision was made to move him to the wing to give him a chance to make the team. Which he did. But it's been very lukewarm as a 4th liner. Say what you want about the talent level of his linemates, he is still looking raw, and if he is only a PT option for the big club, there is no way that playing him more in the A is not good for his career. If we are trying to develop him permanently as a winger, I would say play him on the wing with DeLeo and Raffl/Armia. Or maybe we let him move back to centre, as his vision is better served as a pivot, to see if he has a higher ceiling at the position. His versality, with some extra seasoning, and the opportunity to find confidence in his game, makes him an easy choice to be a 1st call up when injury strikes. I much prefer Lipon for the 4th line. I know Lady Jet says he isn't an NHLer, but to be a final cut in camp indicates otherwise. A few big hits and some grit are more typical of what Maurice asks from his 4th line. To be honest Lipon's game reminds me a bit of Rick Rypien (R.I.P.) and I think given how well our top 3 lines have played (minus Scheif's in the d-zone) we could use a sparkplug in those limited minutes. There is nothing preventing Petan and Raffl from usurping ?-Thor as wingers during the stretch run, with more development, assuming we can stay healthy. In the meantime a little extra physicality to tenderize our opponents would not hurt (us).

IMO, you've made most of the argument to support Petan-Lowry-Stafford if that's the lineup you're opposed to.

Maybe Petan is not as physical as Burmi (although I'm not convinced of that myself), but he's a dang site better at retrieving pucks from scrums -- he frequently comes out of those with the puck). Burmi is indeed way too cute with the puck; Petan on the other hand is a passing machine. And offensively, there's no comparison at this stage (plus Petan will only get better).

As for shipping Petan to the A, not 100% opposed but I still think he's a lock onb the Jets as long as he makes PP2 tick. That & his ability to move up & down the lineup when injuries strike make him invaluable.

I'm fearful that if he gets shipped down to the Moose (who are absolutely terrible right now), he'll regress to the point where it will be months before he makes it back to the Jets & he may at that time be a lot worse than he is now.

Yes, he's struggling a bit right now, but I don't think Copp & Thorbs are linemates that play at all to his style. He can survive on the 4th line, but he'll thrive when he is given a more offensive role with better linemates.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I really like PP2 & wish they would use it more. They are usually the ones starting second & are usually short-changed for time. I find them far more dangerous than PP1, but maybe that is not supported by the numbers?

They're flashier I know, but I feel PP1 has much better puck movement. Seems much better than it's ever been. Those 5 have such good chemistry. Having a good PP2 with a different style is really helping us I think though. :)

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I love our first unit pp this year actually, Wheeler is a very good distributor from the goal line and Ladd can snipe from between the circles. I love that they don't automatically default to pass to Buff this year. It seems like they're trying to hit Wheeler the most.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
IMO, you've made most of the argument to support Petan-Lowry-Stafford if that's the lineup you're opposed to.

Maybe Petan is not as physical as Burmi (although I'm not convinced of that myself), but he's a dang site better at retrieving pucks from scrums -- he frequently comes out of those with the puck). Burmi is indeed way too cute with the puck; Petan on the other hand is a passing machine. And offensively, there's no comparison at this stage (plus Petan will only get better).

As for shipping Petan to the A, not 100% opposed but I still think he's a lock onb the Jets as long as he makes PP2 tick. That & his ability to move up & down the lineup when injuries strike make him invaluable.

I'm fearful that if he gets shipped down to the Moose (who are absolutely terrible right now), he'll regress to the point where it will be months before he makes it back to the Jets & he may at that time be a lot worse than he is now.

Yes, he's struggling a bit right now, but I don't think Copp & Thorbs are linemates that play at all to his style. He can survive on the 4th line, but he'll thrive when he is given a more offensive role with better linemates.

Good post. I agree. I have liked Burmi but I think Petan should be in his spot.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Don't see why he should be sent down. He's played as well as I expected given the role he's in. 4th line, 2nd PP unit, limited minutes. Doesn't play with very offensively gifted individuals. It would be nice if his offensive game translated as well as Ehlers' has but Ehlers has been given a role well suited to that and run with it.

Petan should get his opportunity when injuries hit.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Petan is not going to displace anybody on the 3rd line. Burmi is a much more rounded defensive player, and stronger physically, by a lot. I think our 3rd line is the biggest reason for our team's improvement. They have taken alot of pressure off Scheifele's line, by taking on tough defensive matchups. Petan will crack the top 9 this year,when injury is a factor. But he is not ready for the responsibility yet. I would like to see him playing, improving. He can play top PP, kill penalties on the Moose. His responsibilities will be limited on the Jets. Seeing Peluso physically dominate in a 4th line role, with Copp being a lock as a centre, and Thor being a glue guy, makes his job even harder to get playing time. I am not sure if we are not better off giving his current PP time to Enstrom/Trouba, and let him develop. He will be a regular NHLer but we are in a good predicament that he is having to fight and improve to play regularly.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Don't see why he should be sent down. He's played as well as I expected given the role he's in. 4th line, 2nd PP unit, limited minutes. Doesn't play with very offensively gifted individuals. It would be nice if his offensive game translated as well as Ehlers' has but Ehlers has been given a role well suited to that and run with it.

Petan should get his opportunity when injuries hit.

This!

It's about the injuries folks. It may happen next game or it may not be until game 40 but he'll get his prolonged shot on more offensive lines this season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This!

It's about the injuries folks. It may happen next game or it may not be until game 40 but he'll get his prolonged shot on more offensive lines this season.

I agree. He'll be NHL ready if / when he needs to play in the top-9.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Petan is not going to displace anybody on the 3rd line. Burmi is a much more rounded defensive player, and stronger physically, by a lot. I think our 3rd line is the biggest reason for our team's improvement. They have taken alot of pressure off Scheifele's line, by taking on tough defensive matchups. Petan will crack the top 9 this year,when injury is a factor. But he is not ready for the responsibility yet. I would like to see him playing, improving. He can play top PP, kill penalties on the Moose. His responsibilities will be limited on the Jets. Seeing Peluso physically dominate in a 4th line role, with Copp being a lock as a centre, and Thor being a glue guy, makes his job even harder to get playing time. I am not sure if we are not better off giving his current PP time to Enstrom/Trouba, and let him develop. He will be a regular NHLer but we are in a good predicament that he is having to fight and improve to play regularly.

Oh boy :amazed:....

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
If we fired McCambridge I'd be fine with sending him down to develop into Perreault 2.0

As is I'd rather have him with the big club.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If we fired McCambridge I'd be fine with sending him down to develop into Perreault 2.0

As is I'd rather have him with the big club.

Agree the only sheltering Nic needs is from the mess in the AHL. Remember when TNSE gave a **** about putting a decent AHL product on the ice? I realize the primary goal is to develop prospects but there is a balance and they might want to wake the **** up and not take the fans for granted. Last year was embarrassing this season is actually worse.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree the only sheltering Nic needs is from the mess in the AHL. Remember when TNSE gave a **** about putting a decent AHL product on the ice? I realize the primary goal is to develop prospects but there is a balance and they might want to wake the **** up and not take the fans for granted. Last year was embarrassing this season is actually worse.

I'd like to see Petan in a better position to succeed before sending him to the Moose. Time to try him in a more offensive role. Maybe center on the 3rd line (L-P-S), or drop MP to the 3rd and go P-S-E. Trying this out the Leafs would be a pretty safe spot, since they are practically an AHL team.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I'd like to see Petan in a better position to succeed before sending him to the Moose. Time to try him in a more offensive role. Maybe center on the 3rd line (L-P-S), or drop MP to the 3rd and go P-S-E. Trying this out the Leafs would be a pretty safe spot, since they are practically an AHL team.

No one deserves to be dropped though.

That third line is by design supposed to be getting a boatload of hard matchups, plus Perreault is basically what we hope Petan can turn into, so it's harsh on him to demote him. Plus again he's (Perreault) not a fit for what we want in that 3rd line either.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
This!

As much as I'd like to agree with you, I am nagged by the idea that Mo will move Thorburn up.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Last night: Thorbs played 11:17, Petan 12:53. Yes includes PP time, but would suggest & I sure hope that Mo is smart enough to realize that Petan is a much better offensive player

Of course Maurice is smart enough and IMO I think it is quite evident that Petan will be moved up when the opportunity presents. We have already saw a hint of that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No one deserves to be dropped though.

That third line is by design supposed to be getting a boatload of hard matchups, plus Perreault is basically what we hope Petan can turn into, so it's harsh on him to demote him. Plus again he's (Perreault) not a fit for what we want in that 3rd line either.

I don't see movement between our 2nd and 3rd lines as a promotion or a demotion. I see MP moving down as providing a little shelter for Petan, and better offensive matchups to help get him producing. MP has been pushing possession very well this season and might be a nice addition to the 3rd. The 3rd line might have been created by design, but IMO they really haven't been very effective. The "boatload" of hard match ups has been taken by LLW, not BLS.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't see movement between our 2nd and 3rd lines as a promotion or a demotion. I see MP moving down as providing a little shelter for Petan, and better offensive matchups to help get him producing. MP has been pushing possession very well this season and might be a nice addition to the 3rd. The 3rd line might have been created by design, but IMO they really haven't been very effective. The "boatload" of hard match ups has been taken by LLW, not BLS.

I have yet to see much to show me that Petan is capable of his defensive assignments for a larger role. Granted his body of work has been exclusively on the 4th line to date and he may perform better with better players in a more natural role. I guess it may be worth a shot, but he looks like he needs AHL time to me atm. Too bad our AHL team is a tire fire atm.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have yet to see much to show me that Petan is capable of his defensive assignments for a larger role. Granted his body of work has been exclusively on the 4th line to date and he may perform better with better players in a more natural role. I guess it may be worth a shot, but he looks like he needs AHL time to me atm. Too bad our AHL team is a tire fire atm.

I agree. I absolutely love what this kid can bring to the table but I think he needs some seasoning. He gets easier zone starts then Burmi and still has worse possession stats. Burmi gets much tougher match-ups too. I really don't think Petan would excel in that situation at all at this stage in his career.
If we had a better system to send him to he could really benefit from it, the Moose could too. He would get 1st line time, PP time and we could even try him out on the PK down there. I just think he needs more time to adjust. It's not a knock on him at all, which people seem to really take to heart. It's good he has some big fans already but we have to put our big #1 fan foamy hands aside and realize that he isn't quite ready for big 5v5 NHL minutes yet. Copp has been just OK on that 4th line. But Petan has struggled.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As much as I'd like to agree with you, I am nagged by the idea that Mo will move Thorburn up.

Yea my guess is they both get work in the top 9 and Nic will need to earn his stripes. Thor is not very good but he is safe and predictable and Nic will need to take advantage of his time when he gets it. Just another step which I am looking forward to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad