Recalled/Assigned: Nic Petan assigned to the Moose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Hendricks Crosby example is extreme but the point was that you can't expect a player to completely change his game and become another player because everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.

If this is true then Petan is a career AHLer. It is up to Petan to find a way to the NHL, so far he has not been able to do that. Using MP as a template to make the show is not a bad idea.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
OP has not aged well.

Oh, I'm sorry. You're looking for validation after Hendricks had 2 points in one game when he was playing with Mathieu Perreault on the 4th line? Or how about when Petan has 7 points in 11 games in the AHL? Oh, but please - continue acting smug and condescending about how the Jets are doing well on the scoreboard while getting beaten more often than not in shot metrics.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Oh, I'm sorry. You're looking for validation after Hendricks had 2 points in one game when he was playing with Mathieu Perreault on the 4th line? Or how about when Petan has 7 points in 11 games in the AHL? Oh, but please - continue acting smug and condescending about how the Jets are doing well on the scoreboard while getting beaten more often than not in shot metrics.

Coming in with heat I see, Petan is not an NHL player right now and I'm not even sure you can argue that.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
IMO Petan needs to be able to put the puck in the net if he wants to be an NHLer. Currently he hesitates before shooting which may be the biggest reason for his lack of goal scoring. If he can put the puck in the net himself he may actually be able to drive a line.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Coming in with heat I see, Petan is not an NHL player right now and I'm not even sure you can argue that.

"Coming in with heat". After you attempt to publicly shame me over a comment I made when - yes - the 2 4th lines were contributing nothing in the NHL? Tell me how wonderful Hendricks is doing in the NHL again. He's an NHL player, right?

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
IMO Petan needs to be able to put the puck in the net if he wants to be an NHLer. Currently he hesitates before shooting which may be the biggest reason for his lack of goal scoring. If he can put the puck in the net himself he may actually be able to drive a line.

"Coming in with heat". After you attempt to publicly shame me over a comment I made when - yes - the 2 4th lines were contributing nothing in the NHL? Tell me how wonderful Hendricks is doing in the NHL again. He's an NHL player, right?

You posted that, not me. I'd rather have a player like Hendricks any day over a perimeter player like Petan tbh.

Reactions: libertarian

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
You posted that, not me. I'd rather have a player like Hendricks any day over a perimeter player like Petan tbh.

I don't disavow my comments; I'm taking issue with you attempting to publicly shame me for them. Tell me what Hendricks brings to the team, then. Defense? Scoring? Fighting? Faceoffs? PK? What does he do that justifies his position on the team?

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I don't disavow my comments; I'm taking issue with you attempting to publicly shame me for them. Tell me what Hendricks brings to the team, then. Defense? Scoring? Fighting? Faceoffs? PK? What does he do that justifies his position on the team?

So far this season he has done a hell of a lot more then Petan had. The Jets were 3-3-0 with Petan in the lineup. Jets are 9-1-3 since Hendricks has replace Petan. While Hendricks deserves very little of the credit for that you can't deny how much better the Jets have been. Maybe there is something to having a veteran Hendricks type player on your roster to be a leader for the bottom 6.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB

Previous poster beat me to it. You're trying to make it look like i have some sort of vendetta against you. I don't know you from a hole in the wall. Maybe time to rethink your take?

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
My view is that for players who are good, playing with “slugs” isn’t an excuse. Perrault sure isn’t using it as an excuse and is feasting on the easier opposition matchups he’s getting playing on the 4th line. Perrault not only isn’t using Hendricks and armia as an excuse he’s arguably elevating their play. In any event they have no problem themselves connecting for points with Perrault.

I’m pretty sure Petan played with Armia when he was up with the Jets and Dani too so he didn’t even have the “anchor” of Hendrix.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So far this season he has done a hell of a lot more then Petan had. The Jets were 3-3-0 with Petan in the lineup. Jets are 9-1-3 since Hendricks has replace Petan. While Hendricks deserves very little of the credit for that you can't deny how much better the Jets have been. Maybe there is something to having a veteran Hendricks type player on your roster to be a leader for the bottom 6.

Over Crosby's career Pittsburgh has a worse record with him than without him. I guess they should be dumping that anchor for a 7th round pick then eh?

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
My view is that for players who are good, playing with “slugs” isn’t an excuse. Perrault sure isn’t using it as an excuse and is feasting on the easier opposition matchups he’s getting playing on the 4th line. Perrault not only isn’t using Hendricks and armia as an excuse he’s arguably elevating their play. In any event they have no problem themselves connecting for points with Perrault.

I’m pretty sure Petan played with Armia when he was up with the Jets and Dani too so he didn’t even have the “anchor” of Hendrix.

Petan had a chance playing with Sheif and Wheeler and had plenty of PP time, if there was a spot Petan was going to make this roster this year it was actually a better shot being in the top 2 lines rather than 4th IMO.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Yes, having an objectively worse player on the team means the team is performing better. Capital analysis. Look at Hellebuyck for that winning record.

So you are comparing Petan with Crosby.

.....Ok. :huh:

You're confusing the intent. Using a winning record to justify roster decisions is recency bias to the nth degree. A skilled player should make your team better than an unskilled player.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Yes, the NHL only has players that have dominated the ahl. Like Chiarot, Lowry, Tanev, Armia.

Petan will have to prove he can be a good offensive force in the AHL as he does not bring much else to the table at this point. The fact he is also a very small player is also another strike against him. I think the smaller players have to prove themselves more at lower levels of hockey as it is perceived, whether rightly or wrongly, that they are more detrimental without the puck than the typical 6+ foot players. If he puts up Armia-type numbers and also isn't generating quality chances I think we may not be likely to see him up with the Jets or if we do (say due to injuries) he won't be here very long.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Over Crosby's career Pittsburgh has a worse record with him than without him. I guess they should be dumping that anchor for a 7th round pick then eh?
The difference there is simple. Crosby forget that he is elite but is a nhl player. Petan isn't. Outperforming a barely an ahl player isn't hard thing to do. And the team is all the better for having hendricks in there over petan. Forget the fact that he kills penalties and we are over 90% on the pk with him in line up. And has scored 2 goals in 11 games while petan had yet to score 2 goals in like 60 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad