Recalled/Assigned: Nic Petan and Brendan Lemieux recalled

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
I think this maybe Petans last shot with the Jets. Isn’t he waiver exempt next season? There are probably teams out there willing to give him a chance. I was very hopeful when he was drafted, but hasn’t panned out for him.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think this maybe Petans last shot with the Jets. Isn’t he waiver exempt next season? There are probably teams out there willing to give him a chance. I was very hopeful when he was drafted, but hasn’t panned out for him.

He is no longer waiver exempt next season. So he will either be on the Jets 23 man roster or likely traded/claimed on waivers.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
I truly want Petan to have an amazing chance and show he belongs in the NHL. I think if he's given the right shot he'll dominate at the NHL level, Martin St. Louis style.

Dominate? Not too sure about that. Martin St. Louis he is not.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Dominate? Not too sure about that. Martin St. Louis he is not.

Nope but I still maintain he could be a Tyler Johnson in the NHL if things go well. If not a Sam Gagner type would still be of use to a number of teams.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Nope but I still maintain he could be a Tyler Johnson in the NHL if things go well. If not a Sam Gagner type would still be of use to a number of teams.
Being able to move Petan for a good return might just be the best outcome of him having a little NHL success.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Being able to move Petan for a good return might just be the best outcome of him having a little NHL success.

I would agree that it is more likely then not that if he carves out a career it will be likely be in a different organization. My preference would be to deal him for picks to replenish the system or for a young d prospect if available. Not interested much in dealing him for a pure rental.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
St Louis had a better motor than Perreault even. Petan isn't close to that level of intensity/foot speed.

Petan would be lucky to have a career like Kyle Wellwood at this point.

Tanev has an "elite" motor. Motor means nothing if you have no skill.

And your post does nothing to dispel the fact that St. Louis was nothing in the NHL until he was 25.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Perreault spent 3 years in the AHL after he passed junior eligibility. It's totally possible that Petan turns into Matty P. We don't know yet.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Aye. Petan isn't a St. Louis and he's doesn't have to be. Johnson like production would be amazing.

Other small guys that are contributing this year:
David Desharnais
Paul Byron
Jonathan Marchessault
Brad Marchand
Johnny Gaudreau
Vinnie Hinostroza
Viktor Arvidsson
Brendan Gallagher
Tyler Ennis
Michael Cammalleri
Cam Atkinson
Mats Zuccarello
Yanni Gourde
Conor Sheary
Alex DeBrincat

This isn't a hall of fame or bust scenario

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'm impressed so many people are keeping faith in Petan as I have completely written him off and will be completely shocked and awed if he ever becomes a good NHLer.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'm impressed so many people are keeping faith in Petan as I have completely written him off and will be completely shocked and awed if he ever becomes a good NHLer.
He's 22 and he's one of the best players in the AHL. Completely writing him off is silly. I'm not as high on him as I've been in the past, but he's still got upside.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Aye. Petan isn't a St. Louis and he's doesn't have to be. Johnson like production would be amazing.

David Desharnais
Paul Byron
Jonathan Marchessault
Brad Marchand
Johnny Gaudreau
Vinnie Hinostroza
Viktor Arvidsson
Brendan Gallagher
Tyler Ennis
Michael Cammalleri
Cam Atkinson
Mats Zuccarello
Yanni Gourde
Conor Sheary
Alex DeBrincat

All he needed was an opportunity to fit somewhere. Here's the chance. There will be ice time available and no Thorburn to blame it on. All the players who have spent time with Pascal Vincent seem to be better for it. I expect him to do fine.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

David Desharnais
Paul Byron
Jonathan Marchessault
Brad Marchand
Johnny Gaudreau
Vinnie Hinostroza
Viktor Arvidsson
Brendan Gallagher
Tyler Ennis
Michael Cammalleri
Cam Atkinson
Mats Zuccarello
Yanni Gourde
Conor Sheary
Alex DeBrincat

Main difference is that most of those players either have more speed or play a much stronger / physical game than Petan.

I think that Petan can be a good NHLer in the right circumstances, but I'm not sure that those circumstances will be there now that Connor and Roslovic look to be firmly ahead of him in the depth chart (and rightly so).

Now, the wing depth is... Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine, Perreault, Connor, Copp, Roslovic, Tanev, Dano... Petan/Lemieux. Even if you move Petan up a few slots, he isn't in the top 5-7 wingers.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Wheeler will still be here. You don't ditch your captain when he is the example you are telling every other player on the team "be like Blake!".

So if petan thrives in top 6 role does that make wheeler expendible next year?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
So if petan thrives in top 6 role does that make wheeler expendible next year?
XAotvop.gif

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Main difference is that most of those players either have more speed or play a much stronger / physical game than Petan.

I think that Petan can be a good NHLer in the right circumstances, but I'm not sure that those circumstances will be there now that Connor and Roslovic look to be firmly ahead of him in the depth chart (and rightly so).

Now, the wing depth is... Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine, Perreault, Connor, Copp, Roslovic, Tanev, Dano... Petan/Lemieux. Even if you move Petan up a few slots, he isn't in the top 5-7 wingers.
To be clear, I was highlighting that a little guy can have an impact without being held to the St. Louis HOF standard. I agree RE Petan though. His skating has held him back. He needs to continue to work on his first two steps and his base.

Reactions: Whileee

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2