NHL.TV / Center Ice Discussion - Part II [See the warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
So I want to get a NHL TV sub for this season can anyone tell me what the price is now for the season subscription?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
So I want to get a NHL TV sub for this season can anyone tell me what the price is now for the season subscription?
There's an early bird price that is offered, I think if you sign up before the end of September. I honestly can't remember the exact price ($120 cdn?).

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

It's usually $149 for the season. I've had it for a couple of years and I love it, especially since I travel a lot, live on the west coast (so I can watch the east coast games on my phone while I'm still at work), and don't cheer for either of the local teams. Just remember - they black out the team in your local market, so if Arcola is in the STL market, you likely won't get to watch the Blues games on NHL.TV

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
It's usually $149 for the season. I've had it for a couple of years and I love it, especially since I travel a lot, live on the west coast (so I can watch the east coast games on my phone while I'm still at work), and don't cheer for either of the local teams. Just remember - they black out the team in your local market, so if Arcola is in the STL market, you likely won't get to watch the Blues games on NHL.TV
For a 24-48 hour period, then they become available. Or at least that's how it used to work, hopefully it still does and you can still watch replays after a certain wait period.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
For a 24-48 hour period, then they become available. Or at least that's how it used to work, hopefully it still does and you can still watch replays after a certain wait period.

Yes, that's correct. The nationally televised games (on NBC Sports and NHL Network) are usually available just after the game is over, while the local market games aren't available for about 48 hours - at least that's how it seems for Kings/Ducks games for me.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I like it but had some issues last season, namely it only being 720p and it would also often jump back 15-20 seconds at random times

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Yes, that's correct. The nationally televised games (on NBC Sports and NHL Network) are usually available just after the game is over, while the local market games aren't available for about 48 hours - at least that's how it seems for Kings/Ducks games for me.
One more question, can you still go back and watch seasons past? Meaning if I want to watch the 2012-2013 season is it available? Or is the current season all that's available?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm sure this is already explained somewhere in this thread, but how do the blackouts work these days?

For example, if a games on NHLN or NBCSN, is it getting blacked out on Game Center? And what about playoffs since all those games are broadcasted nationally?

... Because hockey is about the only thing I watch anymore and I'd love to cut the cord.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm sure this is already explained somewhere in this thread, but how do the blackouts work these days?

For example, 1 if a games on NHLN or NBCSN, is it getting blacked out on Game Center? 2 And what about playoffs since all those games are broadcasted nationally?

... Because hockey is about the only thing I watch anymore and I'd love to cut the cord.
1. Yes, Nationally televised and locally broadcast games are blacked out

2 It is a regular season service, the playoffs are broadcast nationally.

I live in Chicago, so I only get the nationally televised games blacked out. But I also pay for cable. I do NOT pay for NHL network and think it's absolute larceny that they charge me over $100 a year for this service and they don't allow crossover on their own f***ing network. Cable companies fault I reckon.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

I live in Chicago, so I only get the nationally televised games blacked out. But I also pay for cable. I do NOT pay for NHL network and think it's absolute larceny that they charge me over $100 a year for this service and they don't allow crossover on their own ****ing network. Cable companies fault I reckon.

Bleh. Maybe I need to look into Sling. Or DirecTV Now.

Thanks for the info.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

I live in Chicago, so I only get the nationally televised games blacked out. But I also pay for cable. I do NOT pay for NHL network and think it's absolute larceny that they charge me over $100 a year for this service and they don't allow crossover on their own ****ing network. Cable companies fault I reckon.

Just got DirecTVNow and wish I would've a long time ago. $35/mo and the only thing I'll miss out on is NHL Network.

Out of curiosity, being in Northwest Indiana I also get Chicago market. Does Game Center black out Chicago games for you if they're on CSN?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Just got DirecTVNow and wish I would've a long time ago. $35/mo and the only thing I'll miss out on is NHL Network.

Out of curiosity, being in Northwest Indiana I also get Chicago market. Does Game Center black out Chicago games for you if they're on CSN?

If you’re within the broadcast areas, yes. The tv rights holders dictate that and how wide the blackout is.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™ Blackout Detector

Plug in your zip and it will tell you which teams you'll be Blacked Out of.

Also, FYI DirectTVNOW carries NHLN. Maybe your specific package doesn't include it though.

DIRECTV NOW Channel Lineup and Comparison By Package

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Yes.

I just watch hawks games on NBCSports Chicago the new CSN, NBC took it over.

But if you're in my market wings games aren't blacked.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
I bought the cheapest package. An extra $300/year for one channel ain't worth it.

Thanks for the links too. For whatever reason I get STL blacked out even though I live closer to Detroit.
The nice thing about the DirectvNow service if you are not locked into a contract and changing your package is as easy as going online and making the switch. You could just subscribe to the package with NHL network for the months that you need it.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The nice thing about the DirectvNow service if you are not locked into a contract and changing your package is as easy as going online and making the switch. You could just subscribe to the package with NHL network for the months that you need it.

Ya I was wondering about that. Still don't see it being worth $25/mo just for NHLN. Maybe come playoffs.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Not sure if this is covered in another area but for Rogers customers in Canada who were receiving Game Centre Live for free on there Share Everything Plans , Rogers has decided to no longer include it in your package. I was already getting error messages in my account. Not happy with the no notice to customers, only found when my wife was renewing our cell phone plan.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Not sure if this is covered in another area but for Rogers customers in Canada who were receiving Game Centre Live for free on there Share Everything Plans , Rogers has decided to no longer include it in your package. I was already getting error messages in my account. Not happy with the no notice to customers, only found when my wife was renewing our cell phone plan.
Rogers is such a joke.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Is it the NHL that runs a promotion that if you get Center Ice you also get NHL.TV? I'm strongly considering going with Center Ice this year, especially since it looks like Xfinity does give you an option to follow any teams' announcers and it's all in HD.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
One thing I don’t understand...on my iPhone X, the quality is amazing, but on my PS4 Pro or Apple TV, the quality is crap. I did just upgrade my internet here in Greece, from 10mbs to 100mbs, and I replaced my 2nd gen Apple TV with the new 4K Apple TV, so I’m hoping that with the internet upgrade, the quality might be better. Does this sound like an isolated incident, or are others having the same problem? I mean, I can see the 60fps on my iPhone, the quality was night and day.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
One thing I don’t understand...on my iPhone X, the quality is amazing, but on my PS4 Pro or Apple TV, the quality is crap. I did just upgrade my internet here in Greece, from 10mbs to 100mbs, and I replaced my 2nd gen Apple TV with the new 4K Apple TV, so I’m hoping that with the internet upgrade, the quality might be better. Does this sound like an isolated incident, or are others having the same problem? I mean, I can see the 60fps on my iPhone, the quality was night and day.

Same thing happens to me (iPhone X vs TV)

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Is it the NHL that runs a promotion that if you get Center Ice you also get NHL.TV? I'm strongly considering going with Center Ice this year, especially since it looks like Xfinity does give you an option to follow any teams' announcers and it's all in HD.
Don't think so. They are both seperate

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
as someone who (up until about a year ago) thought "I will NEVER be able to cut the chord" because all i watch is hockey...well i was able to get access to NHL.TV last season (after i had already bought center ice) and it is what allowed me to cut the chord since the end of the regular season...i have sling tv, which gives me NHLN and all the NBC's and will get NHL.TV....since i dont live in a "local" market i will get EVERY game on TV and save about $1,000 a year on TV (was paying $150 a month for directv) and down to $30 a month... thought about DirecTV go but like I said all i care about is hockey, and really only watch a few channels so I was able to use sling to meet all those channels.

Reactions: Tweed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad