NHL to Seattle Volume XIV - Seattle sells 26,000 season ticket deposits in 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seattle Sea Lions makes sense to me. The other Seattle major sports teams have nicknames related to the sea (Seahawks, Mariners) so why not for the hockey team?

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
would you consider chess a sport? I'm curious what you would think.

You keep using ''Sport'' as the key word. It isn't. Chess isn't sport nor are E-sports. But they are competitions. And sport =/= competition. Sport involves competition but competition doesn't necessarily involves sport.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
You keep using ''Sport'' as the key word. It isn't. Chess isn't sport nor are E-sports. But they are competitions. And sport =/= competition. Sport involves competition but competition doesn't necessarily involves sport.

that was my first comment, are you confusing me for someone else?

The other poster called e-sports a sport and while I disagree they made a very interesting point pointing out the physical toll, so I'm just curious where they would draw the line.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
would you consider chess a sport? I'm curious what you would think.

I think it is a brain sport, not a physical one. 10,000 hours minimum to get great at something (per Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers)? :)

Read an article about this recently; sort of "Arena Reviews" by players, favorite dressing room setups on the road.... Pittsburgh & Edmonton ranked highly (particularly Edmonton) as did GRA in Glendale Arizona. Some of the visitors dressing rooms are actually quite spacious, lots of room, space. Apparently playing soccer has become a "thing" with players, pre-game, so concourse space adjacent to the dressing rooms also factors in as to how they rate the quality of the facilities.

I bet this was before the Wings opened their new arena. I've heard fairly good reviews about the place.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I bet this was before the Wings opened their new arena. I've heard fairly good reviews about the place.

It was though interestingly The Joe was also mentioned as great place to play as the visiting team, the visitors dressing room & areas around it while smallish, warm & welcoming, eccentric in a nice way, all of the history made therein something players very much cognizant of & as such generally elevated their games as a result. They didnt have to try too hard to get up for a game in the old barn.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I would think so (space limited so smaller), ya. No big deal. Their only there for a day & if a tad smaller than Edmonton or wherever, still pretty damn close to 5 Star.... I remember seeing another article written before Vegas had truly completed their arena, it was finished but bare, carpet installed, painted etc.... anyway, the author clearly anti-LV NHL team, pictures of the home dressing room with folding chairs setup temporarily, everything pretty bland as hey, work in progress but this guy didnt care... nasty comments about how it reminded him of his locker room at Middle School a lot only the one at his Middle School was a lot nicer, actually had built in seating, school teams logo painted on the cinder block walls... a water fountain and Coke machine & so on & so on before then laying into T-Mobile Arenas' Medical Room & other facilities with accompanying photos... all unfinished.... incomplete but dont let that stop you. Real nasty stuff..... Everyones a critic. I'm sure OVG will do a bang up job.
They had a little bit of a point in T-Mobile's situation. Foley (supposedly) intentionally wanted the Knights' locker room small and fairly spartan to encourage a team atmosphere where everyone's on top of each other. I don't know if it's true, but I'm fairly sure the visiting locker room in Las Vegas is larger than the home locker room because he wanted it to be harder for opposing teams to talk to each other pregame and at the intermissions. With the results thus far, I don't know that anyone can complain.

However, most of the team's locker room time is spent at City National Arena, which is supposedly a palace on the player side.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
www.sonicsrising.com/2018/3/17/17133572/dont-miss-this-great-play#468343003

Someone was at the open house and was able to get some notes

• They have not yet settled on a team name and it’s highly unlikely to be the Metropolitans based on some reactions I got from people involved.
  • They have tentatively settled on colors already, and it’s not blue and green (though it may be one of those combined with other colors). It’s also not red, like the renderings, but could have some red. They wouldn’t leak the actual color decision, yet, just got these details.
  • The club sections are larger than I expected, extending all the way to the hash marks on both sides of the lower bowl. GA lower bowl will start at about the hash marks and travel around both goal ends.
  • The "new" north upper level club is new based on overwhelming demand for club seats. I was told that more than 5000 deposits were club level. Info I received a month ago was that only 2000 seats in the arena were going to be club. I’d estimate that’s closer to 3500 now. Prior to the drive, they were unsettled on whether they’d have an upper level club. The north club is on the defensive x2 end, not the attack x2 end. Space needle club is on attack x2 end.
  • GA deposits will not be able to move up into club, but club deposits can move down to GA (this has been known since before the sale).
  • There is a spectator bridge level above the 300 level that will be opposite from the press boxes (like the level of the luxury suites in Rogers arena). It adds about 300-350 seats and will have 3 rows of seating. The view will be high and overhanging the lower bowl seats. I’m not sure I’d like to sit there every game, but I do like the luxury box view from Rogers on occasion. It’s a seat where you truly can see every aspect of the game and every play develop.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Seattle Metropolitans hockey team wins the Stanley Cup on March 26, 1917. - HistoryLink.org

As we all sit here and debate ad nauseum about little things, I bring you a little history lesson today. 101 years ago today, the Seattle Metropolitans won the Stanley Cup. Read and get yourself educated.

Yep.... And those great Seattle teams led by Frank The Flash Foyston, a guy who could play either Wing, Center as well as the now abandoned position of Rover. Excellent playmaker, stickhandler, scoring sensation who twice led the PCHA in Points. Seattle returned to the SC Finals in 1919 however they were cancelled after 5 games due to the Spanish Flu epidemic... Frank Foyston again leading the charge scoring 6 goals in 5 games played & again, against Montreal of the newly formed NHL (Dec 1917) which was only supposed to have been a temporary shelter league, a legal construct in ditching troublesome owner Eddie Livingstone of Toronto leaving him in a league of his own.... and when he realized the situation hopeless give up & go away, they'd revert to calling themselves the NHA...

Only Eddie didnt give up, legal battle ensuing for the next 2 decades. Vindictively, the NHL Blackballing Livingstone from hockey circles, and when they caught wind of his plans to setup a rival league with a home base of Hamilton Ontario, moved the Quebec franchise to the Hammer (Tigers), controlling the arena to block him... then pulled the same stunt in Pittsburgh (Pirates 1925/30) & when that went bad moved the franchise to Philadelphia (Quakers 1930/31)... the Pirates owned by the same guy who owned the NY Americans, Bootlegger, Loan Shark & Pimp, contemporary of Al Capone... Big Bill Dwyer... who installed a cut-out owner as dual club ownership verboten by the NHL, former World Lightweight Boxing Champion Benny The Ghetto Wizard Leonard who knew about as much about hockey & the BOH as Stewie Griffin knows about shale fracking....

But I digress... off on a tangent... Seattle... Frank the Flash..... ultimately the demise of the PCHA & the Seattle Mets as they were referred to, gone by 1924... Frank joining Victoria of the WCHL/WHL for a couple of seasons, then when that club was sold to Detroit interests & became the Detroit Cougars, he came with, bouncing around Motown for several years between the Cougars of the NHL & the Olympics of the CPHL, Playing Coach as well, retiring in 1929 with an amazing record of; 25 Goals in 25 Stanley Cup Games, 176 Goals in 202 PCHA Games, 37 Goals in 52 NHA Games..... From there, brief stops Coaching in Syracuse & the Bronx before returning to the Emerald City (I like to think by hot air balloon, Frank their drifting placidly amongst the clouds all the way from NYC), Coaching the newly formed Seattle Seahawks (thats right, "Seahawks", over 40yrs before the football club arrived and ya, I'd like to sue that name clean off a them & the NFL, demand restitution) of the NWHL/PCHL for a number of years through the 30's....

And there ye be.... Not sure what Frank Foyston got up to thereafter, just that in 1958 he was inducted into the HHOF, in 1966, passing away in Seattle.... Be nice to see the 1917 Banner hanging from the rafters at the newly reno'd Key... some displays, vintage jerseys, sticks & other memorabilia displayed in the building, some recognition of Frank Foyston & others, including the minor pro teams of the 30's- 40's-50's-60's & 70's recognized as well.

Last edited:

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
Seattle Sea Lions makes sense to me. The other Seattle major sports teams have nicknames related to the sea (Seahawks, Mariners) so why not for the hockey team?

I like that nickname, way better than the silly Evergreens or Crack In, but a reason against the sea themes is the inland Northwest. Vegas is trying to make in-roads there. It is already a natural hockey market that the Seattle franchise will pursue.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
They're both sports.

I was a professional gamer near the eSports infancy (CS/Q3) and the amount of work you need to put in is nuts. Especially in a team environment you are doing a lot of plays that requires a lot of practice.

You're not just casually sitting on a couch. You should see what RTS players do in games:

Just click to about the halfway mark as a lot of the early game they're just doing actions for the sake of keeping their heart rate up and reaction times on point (and minimizing dead time/cool down management)

This stuff is mentally and physically exhausting. There's a reason why there's a lot of gaming deaths, and that's because people don't take the nutrition part seriously even though it's as strenuous to the body as athletic sports.

:rolleyes:No, it is not a sport. It's a hobby. There is no athletic effort required other than sitting on your butt.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
OT, and only because we have no news to report....

KJR Sports Radio's two afternoon hosts, a certain Mr. Furness along with Dave Mahler, will be hosting their shows Friday from ShoWare Center in advance of the Everett-Seattle WHL playoffs first round game 4. They've put together a promotion attached to this as well. Game is on their new sidecar station, KJR 1090.

Reactions: Killion

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
OT, and only because we have no news to report....

KJR Sports Radio's two afternoon hosts, a certain Mr. Furness along with Dave Mahler, will be hosting their shows Friday from ShoWare Center in advance of the Everett-Seattle WHL playoffs first round game 4. They've put together a promotion attached to this as well. Game is on their new sidecar station, KJR 1090.

I don't know if I should be surprised or not but there really seems to be a big effort by media to get on this hockey story. I suppose I underestimated the interest for the NHL here. The ticket drive and interest I have seen has caught me by surprise in a very good way.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I don't know if I should be surprised or not but there really seems to be a big effort by media to get on this hockey story. I suppose I underestimated the interest for the NHL here. The ticket drive and interest I have seen has caught me by surprise in a very good way.

Yes Ive noticed the same & it certainly bodes well, all very supportive, enthusiastic. :thumbu:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I hope they let the teams protect more players this time around.

The success of Vegas this season has blinded some to think the draft was too generous. Just after the draft most of the comments were not that complimentary of how they did. They happened to catch lightning in the bottle and practically everything they tried has worked. Third line players on other teams have become very good first and second line players for them. Anyone that assumes Seattle will have the same success may be very disappointed (or relieved as it were), initially anyway.

No team was irreparably harmed by that draft. An nor will they be in another one if it comes to that.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Seattle will choose 30 players from the same 30 teams as Vegas. It's the exact same rules, Vegas is exempt from the potential Seattle expansion draft so it's exactly the same as Vegas'.
that's what I stated, it is not the same rules as Vegas entered, since your team is exempt.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad