NHL to Seattle Volume XIV - Seattle sells 26,000 season ticket deposits in 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Seattle Emeralds sounds classy and is unique among major league teams. That’d be my vote. I don’t mind Renegades but I’m not sure what the connection is to seattle.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Seattle Kraken has a nice ring to it.
kraken.jpg

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm a little surprised that Metropolitans wasn't one of the names considered since there is a historic connection to it. Seattle Metropolitans is the first American team name engraved on the Stanley Cup. That's not to say the other names weren't good but it seemed like Metropolitans would at least be a name worth consideration along with the others.

:jets

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Compared to the other names of Seattle sports. No it doesn't. Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders, SuperSonics, Storm

who really ever called the NBA Team SuperSonics, tommy, the last edition of that era, it was just Sonics, in fact, I believe the NBA link to the team page was simply Sonics

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm a little surprised that Metropolitans wasn't one of the names considered since there is a historic connection to it. Seattle Metropolitans is the first American team name engraved on the Stanley Cup. That's not to say the other names weren't good but it seemed like Metropolitans would at least be a name worth consideration along with the others.

Does it really make sense to call the team the Mets? When you factor in the NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, and even MLS I think it's best to name the team something unique from the other pro teams.

Jets - NY or Winnipeg
Rangers - NY or Texas
Giants - NY or SF
Kings - LA or Sacramento
Panthers - Carolina or Florida

You call them the Metropolitans and it will be NY or Seattle.

Of the 13 names:

Eagles - are we talking Philly or Seattle?
Cougars - no other pro team uses it, but soooo many colleges uses it. Not very unique
Emeralds - ok. Almost like the Texans since it's the Emerald City. Like calling a team Toronto Smoke (since TO is known as the big smoke)
Evergreens - ok. unique.
Firebirds - kind of close to the Thunderbirds of the WHL
Kraken - mythical creature from Greek mythology? Too unique
Renegades - not sure it fits the city
Seals - works
Sea Lions - works. Though, not sure they want to start their name with Sea like the Hawks
Sockeyes - I'd take one of the 2 above ahead of it
Totems - as long as the Native Americans have no issues with it and the logo works, it would be ok
Whales - works. but, I wonder about Van and Sea both having whale logos
Rainers - works, but the Mariners AAA team is called the Tacoma Rainiers. So, too close in vicinity

I'd throw in the Seattle Pilots. Brewers were originally in Seattle and that's what they were called. Kind of like the Rockies of MLB using the old hockey team's name.
It would work with Boeing being a major corporation in the city, as well as the Museum of Flight being in Seattle. And Seattle is a military city.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Does it really make sense to call the team the Mets? When you factor in the NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, and even MLS I think it's best to name the team something unique from the other pro teams.

Jets - NY or Winnipeg
Rangers - NY or Texas
Giants - NY or SF
Kings - LA or Sacramento

Of the 13 names:

Eagles - are we talking Philly or Seattle?
Cougars - no other pro team uses it, but soooo many colleges uses it. Not very unique
Emeralds - ok. Almost like the Texans since it's the Emerald City. Like calling a team Toronto Smoke (since TO is known as the big smoke)
Evergreens - ok. unique.
Firebirds - kind of close to the Thunderbirds of the WHL
Kraken - mythical creature from Greek mythology? Too unique
Renegades - not sure it fits the city
Seals - works
Sea Lions - works. Though, not sure they want to start their name with Sea like the Hawks
Sockeyes - I'd take one of the 2 above ahead of it
Totems - as long as the Native Americans have no issues with it and the logo works, it would be ok
Whales - works. but, I wonder about Van and Sea both having whale logos
Rainers - works, but the Mariners AAA team is called the Tacoma Rainiers. So, too close in vicinity

I'd throw in the Seattle Pilots. Brewers were originally in Seattle and that's what they were called. Kind of like the Rockies of MLB using the old hockey team's name.
It would work with Boeing being a major corporation in the city, as well as the Museum of Flight being in Seattle. And Seattle is a military city.

Sacramento was born as the Rochester Royals, IIRC, COULDN'T USE that when they were in Kemper or in Omaha, Street

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The only 2 that are definitely nos for me are Cougars and Totems. Cougars is already used by WSU(EWU uses Eagles but they're a smaller school and I doubt anyone cares about them). And I'm not into naming a team after something Seattle stole from Alaskan indigenous people and claimed for themselves, regardless of the history of the name in Seattle.

Reactions: TorstenFrings

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Jets - NY or Winnipeg
Rangers - NY or Texas
Giants - NY or SF
Kings - LA or Sacramento

You forgot:

Cardinals - St. Louis or Arizona

Anyway, I get your point. I don't necessarily disagree with you on the topic. I was just wondering why the name 'Metropolitans' was not included along with the others based on the historical aspect especially since it appears on the Stanley Cup. Also, in regards to the name itself, it was used as early as 1915 by the team in the Pacific Coast Hockey Association. If that name were chosen by the new NHL team, it could be said they were resurrecting the name from the past which predates the N.Y. Mets which only began play in 1962. As such they would not be copying anyone else but re-establishing a previous team name.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You forgot:

Cardinals - St. Louis or Arizona

Anyway, I get your point. I don't necessarily disagree with you on the topic. I was just wondering why the name 'Metropolitans' was not included along with the others based on the historical aspect especially since it appears on the Stanley Cup. Also, in regards to the name itself, it was used as early as 1915 by the team in the Pacific Coast Hockey Association. If that name were chosen by the new NHL team, it could be said they were resurrecting the name from the past which predates the N.Y. Mets which only began play in 1962. As such they would not be copying anyone else but re-establishing a previous team name.

Fair enough, but that was a long long time ago. When you shorten the name down to Mets, I'm sure instantly the majority of sports fans are going to think NY Mets first. I think it's just better for Seattle to pick a name that another North America pro doesn't already use.

Plus, the Sounders and Storm (as well as the Sonics back in their day) all use the Space Needle prominently in their logo. I'm sure if they named the team the Metropolitans, the Space Needle would also be on the logo. That's my concern when names like Evergreens, Emeralds are being considered. Cause, with an updated arena, I think it's only a matter of time before the NBA returns to Seattle and thus too many teams with logos based around the Space Needle.

I still find it odd that only a few years after FLA Panthers were born, that Carolina opted to name their football team the Panthers. All of the others were from a while ago. Even the Jets were back in the 70's.

Ideally, I think a team should choose a name that is reflective of the city. As well, as not picking one that is too similar to another in the area. WSU Cougars, EWU Eagles, Seattle Thunderbirds, Tacoma Rainiers are all teams within the state.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I was legitimately about to suggest they be called the Seattle Mariners with a kraken logo before I realized there was a reason that name sounded so good

Reactions: Killion

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I believe when the Whalers moved from Hartford to CAR, the City retained the rights to the name. There is also a hockey team in Conn called Conn Whale. I can imagine that would be a sticking point for Seattle's use of the name.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yes it's the right Roman numeral :)

Finally. I can’t believe it took this long to get an answer. :sarcasm:

I like Evergreen(without the s), Emeralds, and Kraken. Renegades gets an honorable mention.

The last two have pretty epic logo potential, and I’ll admit I get giddy at the thought of seeing Cthulhu running around as a mascot.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Cougars - Don’t use a name that instantly makes you the butt of memes.

Eagles - Maybe don’t pick an animal associated with a football franchise that has a longer championship drought than the Cleveland f***ing Browns.

Emeralds - Has any team ever been named after a rock? I guess their mascot could be Andy Dufrane.

Evergreens - Has any team ever been named after a tree? I think a more specific species would sound better. Seattle Spruce or Seattle Pine.

Firebirds - Joe Biden loves this idea.

Kraken - Sounds like a minor league name. On the plus side, the large Japanese population in Seattle can help the team with its tentacle-based marketing.

Rainiers - Has any team ever been named after a mountain? If going that route, I’d rather cheer for the Seattle Ser Sandors.

Renegades - Renegades? “synonyms: traitor · defector · deserter · turncoat” Ok. You do that.

Sea Lions - Probably my favorite of this list. Dovetails nicely with the Seahawks.

Seals - Every time you lose, the media will say you got clubbed. Do you want that?

Sockeyes - This would make them the most delicious franchise in all of sports.

Totems - Enjoy the protests.

Whales - Too close to Whalers. Also too confusing with the nearby Canucks adopting the orca as its logo and mascot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad