NHL to Seattle Volume XIV - Seattle sells 26,000 season ticket deposits in 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
And that's the crux of the issue here as I've already noted. And it's interesting that a station in MN of all places figured this out. You remember which show/station this was on, SC?

"MN of all places...." Actually, MN is about as liberal a place as you can get, east of the Rockies. They would be very sensitive there, and there are definitely many neutral observers who would have processed all of that.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Vegas got first dibs on 30 teams which enabled them to build a formidable franchise. It seems more than a little unfair that they don't have to sweat or lose anything during expansion 2 to 3 years after they join the league. Straight up bs if you ask me.

Pretty sure if you asked Foley (Vegas owner) he would be okay with either Expansion Money or Keep a player.

I don't see any BS nor unfairness. If the 30 other owners chose so that each of them gets $0.7M instead of Seattle picking 1 more player from Vegas, there is nothing unfair. If Vegas is not eligible for $ why would they be double penalized by losing a player but not getting anything in return ?

And for what it's worth...who's telling you that Seattle wouldn't have the same deal in place if for example the league decides to go beyond 32 and expand to Houston/Quebec/Elsewhere 5 years after Seattle ?

OT : But this decision does open a small Pandora box. Could some teams be tempted to ''temporarily'' trade players to Vegas thus having an ''extra'' protection slot.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
And that's the crux of the issue here as I've already noted. And it's interesting that a station in MN of all places figured this out. You remember which show/station this was on, SC?

Not really. Minnesota, Twin Cities, there are some hard core PC's as noted by others' here (not a slight, its a reality) that goes way way waaaaay back..... St. Paul, the Capital City was founded by one Pierre Pig's Eye Parrant, an individual of less than sterling character, a former trapper who's exact origins are hazy, sketchy at best... possibly Metis' from what is now the Canadian side of the Sault Ste Marie region, maybe Quebec....

Settled around Fort Snelling in the Minnesota Territory, land squatter who grabbed up a nice big piece around Fountain Cave in what was to become St. Paul, its first resident & "business" as Pig's Eye (one eyed, hence the name) had turned his hand to Bootlegging, selling his White Lightning (the cave providing natural spring water) to soldiers from the Fort, Native Americans, everyone & anyone. Other activities as well that couldve gotten him life or a hanging, neck tie party.

The area first named after him, literally Pig's Eye Minnesota, however changed, cleaned up with "Saint" Paul when white European settlers moved in en mass. Parrant's very existence & that the land they were settling, building a city upon had so notorious a past all but completely expunged from the record. A source of great embarrassment to the founding cities Fathers... yer Hoi Polloi's... Hoity Toitys'..... one historian writing not long after;

Such was the man on whom Fortune, with that blind fatuity that seems to characterize the jade, thrust the honor of being the founder of our good city! Our pride almost revolts at the chronicling of such a humiliation, and leads us to wish that it were on one more worthier and nobler that such a distinction had fallen....

So ya, Minnesota most definitely a region very much concerned with image, sensitive to anything that could be construed as being non-inclusive, anything that could be construed as lacking in respect for any group be it based on ethnicity, religious beliefs or color, very much sensitive to Native North American interests. Wont, dont stand for anyone of low moral turpitude be it Pierre Parrant or more recently, former Senator Al Franken. Of course like everywhere where such standards are high you will find hypocrisy but people being people, get that.... even amongst the Saintly of St. Paul.

Personally, I dont have a problem at all whatsoever with Totems' as the name for Seattles NHL club, its actually a positive as if one takes the time to look into the words etymology & its meaning, whole new worlds of spiritually opening up, better understanding of North American native belief systems, how they identified (and still do) with the land, with all of the creatures & plants upon it and in the oceans, rivers, lakes & ponds. I'd call that nothing but positive, educative, enlightening, a form of respect not just to the Natives of the PNW but throughout North America. It provides all of us with a deeper understanding of the environment, of a culture that thrived here for 1000's of years. How is that not a good thing?

Last edited:

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
It’s not ridiculous when you see the numbers they consistently draw. The scene is international and its base is all over the world — this isn’t just a North American phenomenon.

a clear tell on people's priorities today...:rolleyes:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Personally, I like the Sea Lions. Renegades doesn't sound too bad either

Even though the Governor likes the name Totems, you may be onto something with Sea Lions. The color scheme in the images below also ties into the Seahawks which the fans may find appealing.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls
seattleprep_1x.png
uniforms_zpsd884b390.png

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Pretty sure if you asked Foley (Vegas owner) he would be okay with either Expansion Money or Keep a player.

I don't see any BS nor unfairness. If the 30 other owners chose so that each of them gets $0.7M instead of Seattle picking 1 more player from Vegas, there is nothing unfair. If Vegas is not eligible for $ why would they be double penalized by losing a player but not getting anything in return ?

And for what it's worth...who's telling you that Seattle wouldn't have the same deal in place if for example the league decides to go beyond 32 and expand to Houston/Quebec/Elsewhere 5 years after Seattle ?

OT : But this decision does open a small Pandora box. Could some teams be tempted to ''temporarily'' trade players to Vegas thus having an ''extra'' protection slot.

I agree that Vegas not being involved in the expansion draft makes total sense in light of them not sharing in expansion fee.

As far as any shenanigans I can't see how a "temporary" arrangement could be approved (by the NHL) if it is obvious. If it follows league rules then who knows.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If Sea Lions is an attractive option, our favorite amateur hockey branding aficionado SparkyChewbarky has put together a pretty awesome concept.

cYeLm5H.jpg

TvjsCF5.jpg

Or my favorite, the Evergreens:
Z9DmnVd.jpg

Reactions: Killion

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
a clear tell on people's priorities today...:rolleyes:

When you think about it, there is no difference between watching traditional sports and eSports - they’re both just forms of entertainment. They’re both competitive environments with an adversarial setup. Different strokes for different folks.

eSport fans watch because it’s something that they enjoy playing themselves and they want to learn new tactics from the “pros”. One large factor driving views is that anyone can get good at these video games and thus they have a greater chance of “going pro” because they don’t need to be physically gifted in order to succeed, unlike every other sport that exists.

SCBlueLiner

Dec 27, 2013
Yeah, it was the Half-Assed Morning Show on 93X in the Twin Cities. Not exactly the most PC of radio shows as it is morning shock jock type stuff. If the people on that show can figure this out then I don't know what to tell you.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Yeah, it was the Half-Assed Morning Show on 93X in the Twin Cities. Not exactly the most PC of radio shows as it is morning shock jock type stuff. If the people on that show can figure this out then I don't know what to tell you.

And they're also probably not big NHL fans or very political either, so for these guys to see this issue a mile away should tell you something. That said, as I've noted before, if the governor supports it and can get the tribes on board with it, then anyone throwing a hissy fit won't have much of a platform to stand on.

Enough about this, let's move on to these jersey designs. I'm liking some of what you all are putting up right now...

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Nothing "amateur" about Sparky BB..... quite the opposite..... Dude can make even
the worst possible moniker, team name look like a million bucks. Gotta watch out....

:squint: www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UfE2BbYSQ
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm 100% in the Sparky camp. The fact that he's not doing this professionally is a travesty.

If I had a few million in the bank I'd start Sparky/Battle Sports Marketing and drag him along, I've already told him this. :laugh:

Reactions: Killion

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Not really. Minnesota, Twin Cities, there are some hard core PC's as noted by others' here (not a slight, its a reality) that goes way way waaaaay back..... St. Paul, the Capital City was founded by one Pierre Pig's Eye Parrant, an individual of less than sterling character, a former trapper who's exact origins are hazy, sketchy at best... possibly Metis' from what is now the Canadian side of the Sault Ste Marie region, maybe Quebec....

Settled around Fort Snelling in the Minnesota Territory, land squatter who grabbed up a nice big piece around Fountain Cave in what was to become St. Paul, its first resident & "business" as Pig's Eye (one eyed, hence the name) had turned his hand to Bootlegging, selling his White Lightning (the cave providing natural spring water) to soldiers from the Fort, Native Americans, everyone & anyone. Other activities as well that couldve gotten him life or a hanging, neck tie party.

The area first named after him, literally Pig's Eye Minnesota, however changed, cleaned up with "Saint" Paul when white European settlers moved in en mass. Parrant's very existence & that the land they were settling, building a city upon had so notorious a past all but completely expunged from the record. A source of great embarrassment to the founding cities Fathers... yer Hoi Polloi's... Hoity Toitys'..... one historian writing not long after;

Such was the man on whom Fortune, with that blind fatuity that seems to characterize the jade, thrust the honor of being the founder of our good city! Our pride almost revolts at the chronicling of such a humiliation, and leads us to wish that it were on one more worthier and nobler that such a distinction had fallen....

So ya, Minnesota most definitely a region very much concerned with image, sensitive to anything that could be construed as being non-inclusive, anything that could be construed as lacking in respect for any group be it based on ethnicity, religious beliefs or color, very much sensitive to Native North American interests. Wont, dont stand for anyone of low moral turpitude be it Pierre Parrant or more recently, former Senator Al Franken. Of course like everywhere where such standards are high you will find hypocrisy but people being people, get that.... even amongst the Saintly of St. Paul.

Personally, I dont have a problem at all whatsoever with Totems' as the name for Seattles NHL club, its actually a positive as if one takes the time to look into the words etymology & its meaning, whole new worlds of spiritually opening up, better understanding of North American native belief systems, how they identified (and still do) with the land, with all of the creatures & plants upon it and in the oceans, rivers, lakes & ponds. I'd call that nothing but positive, educative, enlightening, a form of respect not just to the Natives of the PNW but throughout North America. It provides all of us with a deeper understanding of the environment, of a culture that thrived here for 1000's of years. How is that not a good thing?

How much coffee did you drink this morning? A couple gallons? :eek:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

That risk existed in the Vegas expansion draft, with some teams having more protection slots then they really needed. Which is why the expansion rules already contain clauses preventing the temporary trades of players to avoid the expansion draft.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
You can tell its a slow news week when we are debating over what the team name will be.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think for pure confusion purposes they should name the team Washington, rather then Seattle.

Then a name that appeals statewide, like the Washington Cherries or something like that.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I think for pure confusion purposes they should name the team Washington, rather then Seattle.

Then a name that appeals statewide, like the Washington Cherries or something like that.
it may not, because of the mass confusion since there is a Washington team, the Capitals, OVG , FROM what has already occurred has ruled that out from those inside Seattle.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

For better confusion...and some historical too...they should be called the Washington Metropolitans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad