NHL to Seattle Volume XIV - Seattle sells 26,000 season ticket deposits in 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I guess the assumption is that the arena is going to go through with no snags and that it will be completed in the time for the 2020 season. I believe it will but if a franchise is awarded so soon then that would show how badly and how quick the NHL wants to be here.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I guess the assumption is that the arena is going to go through with no snags and that it will be completed in the time for the 2020 season. I believe it will but if a franchise is awarded so soon then that would show how badly and how quick the NHL wants to be here.
I imagine they'll get a team announcement in the offseason prior to the 19-20 season, it would follow the Las Vegas model and give them time to put together a management team and scout for a season.

I wouldn't get too excited for an announcement this summer. First of all, they seem to be following the same timeline as the Golden Knights and T-Mobile was ready for the Knights, yet they still waited. Secondly, there's likely to be construction delays because there always are. Let the place get most of the way finished prior to making the team official.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I expect the season ticket drive in Seattle to be somewhere in between the Winnipeg and Vegas fulfillment. Winnipeg was that day, and Vegas took a few weeks/months. I would expect to see 8-10K deposits in the first day and then another 5K in the following month. This will get done fast. I am putting my 2 deposits in asap and made it an appointment on my work calendar (30mins +/-)

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I expect the season ticket drive in Seattle to be somewhere in between the Winnipeg and Vegas fulfillment. Winnipeg was that day, and Vegas took a few weeks/months. I would expect to see 8-10K deposits in the first day and then another 5K in the following month. This will get done fast. I am putting my 2 deposits in asap and made it an appointment on my work calendar (30mins +/-)

It's hard to compare Winnipeg and Vegas. Winnipeg got its team on a given day and the debut date was certain, but not only that, it was mere months away (everything played in the same year).

Vegas (and Seattle for that matter) had extra time between team being announced and the first official puck drop and that time compares to a few months vs a full year or so.

I think even if they would announce TODAY a Seattle team for say October 2020, it would be normal that deposits come over time. Yes you would have folks like you who would go there on day 1, but you would also have folks who would wait till maybe 2019 to make it official for them.

DougMellon

Feb 15, 2018
SBnation
I imagine they'll get a team announcement in the offseason prior to the 19-20 season, it would follow the Las Vegas model and give them time to put together a management team and scout for a season.

I wouldn't get too excited for an announcement this summer. First of all, they seem to be following the same timeline as the Golden Knights and T-Mobile was ready for the Knights, yet they still waited. Secondly, there's likely to be construction delays because there always are. Let the place get most of the way finished prior to making the team official.

What I'm hearing through the grapevine is an announcment will most likely come MUCH sooner than the 2019-20 season, by miles - assuming a ticket drive runs smooth. Obviously, it's important not to get ahead of the game as there is a lot of work to be done before the 2020 season.

This is an opportunity for OVG to show their capabilities and there is no need for them to expedite the process as a team is all but guaranteed. It's the league and BOG that are showing unusual desire to push this through.

Nothing about this timeline is similar to Vegas.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What I'm hearing is an announcment will most likely come MUCH sooner than the 2019-20 season, by miles - assuming a ticket drive runs smooth.

Agreed no way they'll wait until summer of 2019 to announce the team. I'll be surprised if the announcement comes before the Jun 2018 BOG meeting.

DougMellon

Feb 15, 2018
SBnation
Agreed no way they'll wait until summer of 2019 to announce the team. I'll be surprised if the announcement comes before the Jun 2018 BOG meeting.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, there is a good chance you are correct, it'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds. Either way, exciting times are ahead.

Thanks for the conversation.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
For those that want to compare Vegas and Seattle's timeline, we are at least half a year ahead of Vegas. They did the ticket drive before the league even opened up the expansion process in 2015.

Another thing to add, the league always has a huge basic idea on what they'll expect from the Seattle market.

Vegas was a complete unknown and it took longer to study that market, never mind they also had to go through Quebec's application as well and that took time.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougMellon

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, there is a good chance you are correct, it'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds. Either way, exciting times are ahead.

Thanks for the conversation.

Only reason why i suggest it'll happen during the June BOG meeting is based on previous league timelines. NHL doesn't like to make major announcements in the middle of the season especially during the Stanley cup playoffs. Although I was surprised when the expansion process for Seattle announcement happened in December's BOG meeting when i was expecting it be June 2018.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What I'm hearing through the grapevine is an announcment will most likely come MUCH sooner than the 2019-20 season, by miles - assuming a ticket drive runs smooth. Obviously, it's important not to get ahead of the game as there is a lot of work to be done before the 2020 season.

This is an opportunity for OVG to show their capabilities and there is no need for them to expedite the process as a team is all but guaranteed. It's the league and BOG that are showing unusual desire to push this through.

I guess we'll find out. I personally don't see it happens, but if you're there on the ground and hearing something else, that's the plan I'm sure.

Just trying to avoid everyone getting into a tizzy for every BoG meeting and getting into flight tracking mode once you can't figure out what the hell's taking so long. It's not fun, I know.

There's a template out there, and the start of the ticket drive when compared to the Las Vegas ticket drive puts an announcement around the time I mentioned earlier. I'd assume they're following the same plan since there's no reason to move it up since there's nowhere to play and no benefit other than giving Seattle an extra year to scout and get their plan together.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I guess we'll find out. I personally don't see it happens, but if you're there on the ground and hearing something else, that's the plan I'm sure.

Just trying to avoid everyone getting into a tizzy for every BoG meeting and getting into flight tracking mode once you can't figure out what the hell's taking so long. It's not fun, I know.

There's a template out there, and the start of the ticket drive when compared to the Las Vegas ticket drive puts an announcement around the time I mentioned earlier. I'd assume they're following the same plan since there's no reason to move it up since there's nowhere to play and no benefit other than giving Seattle an extra year to scout and get their plan together.

One difference though like i said NHL didn't allow Vegas to turn an application until June of 2015 much after their ticket drive where as with Seattle, we gotten permission to do ticket drive and turn in application at the same time.

Seattle group and the NHL doesn't need to do so much work to show/study that Seattle would be great for the NHL. Vegas again a completely unknown market that never had a pro team.

Seattle opens up the entire pacific northwest (5 states) to the NHL. The whole process is nothing more than a formality, the whole ticket drive etc is mostly to allow the league an out if it doesn't go well and it could be expansion or relocation again is an out for the league. They are not going to say no to 650m fee.

The thing is the NHL has Seattle for the taking in terms of winter sports, they need to get the franchise rooted in Seattle before the NBA returns. The extra year will do a whole lot of good to get that team planted.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
One difference though like i said NHL didn't allow Vegas to turn an application until June of 2015 much after their ticket drive where as with Seattle, we gotten permission to do ticket drive and turn in application at the same time.

The thing is the NHL has Seattle for the taking in terms of winter sports, they need to get the franchise rooted in Seattle before the NBA returns. The extra year will do a whole lot of good to get that team planted.
There's still nowhere to play until Oct 2020, though. October 2020, meaning that if they're planning on a 2020-2021 season debut, they can't have more than two weeks of construction delays prior to interrupting the preseason schedule since there's nowhere to play home games. 20-21 debut means Offseason 2019 announcement if they grant it a year ahead of time like Las Vegas. For political reasons, I don't imagine they're going to let Seattle scouts go all over the world for two years, especially with what the Knights are doing with only one.

I think it's more likely that Key renovations are delayed than they go perfectly since that's the way construction (and especially Seattle construction) goes. I think they wait past this summer just to make sure they're not announcing/granting a team three years prior to them hitting the ice if there's a couple of month delay.

The NHL will be in Key Arena first, but even if they're not, I don't think it matters. Hopefully the ticket drive goes well and they'll be fine regardless.

DougMellon

Feb 15, 2018
SBnation

Absolutely. Managing expectations is going to be key to this entire process for both fans and media. The next week or so will be eventful and we will be covering it in-depth, but the discussion is always entertaining until then.

Thanks for the talk.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There's still nowhere to play until Oct 2020, though. October 2020, meaning that if they're planning on a 2020-2021 season debut, they can't have more than two weeks of construction delays prior to interrupting the preseason schedule since there's nowhere to play home games. 20-21 debut means Offseason 2019 announcement if they grant it a year ahead of time like Las Vegas. For political reasons, I don't imagine they're going to let Seattle scouts go all over the world for two years, especially with what the Knights are doing with only one.

I think it's more likely that Key renovations are delayed than they go perfectly since that's the way construction (and especially Seattle construction) goes. I think they wait past this summer just to make sure they're not announcing/granting a team three years prior to them hitting the ice if there's a couple of month delay.

The NHL will be in Key Arena first, but even if they're not, I don't think it matters. Hopefully the ticket drive goes well and they'll be fine regardless.

When MLS announced MLS is coming to Seattle it was announced fall of 2007 they began playing Spring of 2009. So its not far of what other leagues have done MLS is usually 2 years between announcement and when they begin playing.

The thing is this is expansion not relocation, the league can set when the team starts playing which will be 20-21 season,

Don't compare Key arena reconstruction to any other construction in the Seattle region when the fact the shell of the arena is staying there, that saves time vs a 100% tear down and rebuild (obviously that isn't possible due to landmark) but it shouldn't take that long to dig down another 15 feet get the foundation poured in and what not.

There is more to it then just the team side of things, there is the business side, getting upper management in place, who is going to run the business side of the franchise, getting the sponsors in place, tv deal.

The website suggests a 2018 team announcement, with season ticket prices announced early 2019.

Regarding pre-season games, nothing stops them from playing them in Showare center or the Everett's arena. They can also have the first few weeks of the season on the road if it comes to that.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Absolutely. Managing expectations is going to be key to this entire process for both fans and media. The next week or so will be eventful and we will be covering it in-depth, but the discussion is always entertaining until then.

Thanks for the talk.

How can managing expectations be a problem at all? Everyone who is interested knows that the whole thing revolves around the Key arena job. There CAN'T be any expectations of anything happening in regard to actual hockey before that's done, and that should be relatively easy to keep people informed of. It's not a Quebec City situation where the city built the arena on speculation of a team.

I find it difficult to see anyone actually being disappointed here, unless it's ownership if the ST drive comes in short.

Otherwise, it has a very straight forward time line, regardless of when an actual announcement of a team is made.

DougMellon

Feb 15, 2018
SBnation
There CAN'T be any expectations of anything happening in regard to actual hockey before that's done
How many links do you want? I'll start posting them for you.

Also, you have no idea the number of phone calls, emails, and messages I had from people concerned about not hearing anything during the month of February.

Seems like you have the right process in mind, that is far from the majority.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
When MLS announced MLS is coming to Seattle it was announced fall of 2007 they began playing Spring of 2009. So its not far of what other leagues have done MLS is usually 2 years between announcement and when they begin playing.

The thing is this is expansion not relocation, the league can set when the team starts playing which will be 20-21 season,

Don't compare Key arena reconstruction to any other construction in the Seattle region when the fact the shell of the arena is staying there, that saves time vs a 100% tear down and rebuild (obviously that isn't possible due to landmark) but it shouldn't take that long to dig down another 15 feet get the foundation poured in and what not.

There is more to it then just the team side of things, there is the business side, getting upper management in place, who is going to run the business side of the franchise, getting the sponsors in place, tv deal.

The website suggests a 2018 team announcement, with season ticket prices announced early 2019.

Regarding pre-season games, nothing stops them from playing them in Showare center or the Everett's arena. They can also have the first few weeks of the season on the road if it comes to that.
I'm not comparing Key to other Seattle projects, I'm comparing Key to construction projects around America. They're always delayed. They've got a 10/20 projected completion date right now. That's their goal. There's such a small margin for error that it seems super risky to announce now when a minor delay can push the opening date back a few months and they wind up welcoming Seattle into the league in one of the little arenas in the suburbs.

I just don't see it. That's not to say it absolutely won't happen this June, but if someone's got a June BoG countdown on their wall, they should pack it up for a little while.

The season ticket drive and the deposit money are what keep people interested, and if you get 14,000 of them, you're kind of home free already.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
How can managing expectations be a problem at all? Everyone who is interested knows that the whole thing revolves around the Key arena job. There CAN'T be any expectations of anything happening in regard to actual hockey before that's done, and that should be relatively easy to keep people informed of. It's not a Quebec City situation where the city built the arena on speculation of a team.

I find it difficult to see anyone actually being disappointed here, unless it's ownership if the ST drive comes in short.

Otherwise, it has a very straight forward time line, regardless of when an actual announcement of a team is made.

I don't expect ST drive to come in short. Its a formality the ticket drive is nothing more than it allows the league an out.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm not comparing Key to other Seattle projects, I'm comparing Key to construction projects around America. They're always delayed. They've got a 10/20 projected completion date right now. That's their goal. There's such a small margin for error that it seems super risky to announce now when a minor delay can push the opening date back a few months and they wind up welcoming Seattle into the league in one of the little arenas in the suburbs.

I just don't see it. That's not to say it absolutely won't happen this June, but if someone's got a June BoG countdown on their wall, they should pack it up for a little while.

The season ticket drive and the deposit money are what keep people interested, and if you get 14,000 of them, you're kind of home free already.

I think the site says 10k. We been waiting for NHL hockey for a very very long time. If there was any concerns about the arena and among other things i don't think the NHL would be going on a fast timeline here, they probably would have waited to start the process in June of 2018 then grant the team half a year to a year later if that was that much of a concern.

The Expansion draft rules for Seattle already is publicly known and we have yet to even been granted a team yet.

The fast timeline shows how much the league trust Leiweke and OVG when it comes to arenas. They know its going to get done baring some unforeseen issue that stops it dead in the tracks (very very slim chance that happens).

DougMellon

Feb 15, 2018
SBnation
I do expect a similar reaction to how Soccer fans respond to MLS coming to Seattle. Obvious Soccer plays in a bigger sports facility so there is not a direct 1:1 comparison. Seattle is just not much of a minor/lower league market.

Agreed. When Bettman was hired by the BOG to replace then president Gil stein he had three objectives... one of which was to expand to new markets within untapped regions. Seattle is exactly what the league wants, and with a capacity of 17,1000 - I think it will do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad