Speculation: NHL teams being told Detroit ready to deal

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
And the proposal is to ice a worse D... Yikes. I'd be shocked if the group below doesn't hurt the development of our forwards.

Half the reason the Oiler's rebuild has been such a disaster is their utter lack of competent D

Ericsson - Dekeyser
XO - Jensen
Kronwall - Hicketts
Witkowski

As I said, The ideal situation involves trading Green but you have to find a puck mover.
Why do you have to find a puckmover? Just sign somebody. They're not competing next year anyway. One of the kids will be able to handle that role in a year or so. They just have to tread water until then.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And the proposal is to ice a worse D... Yikes. I'd be shocked if the group below doesn't hurt the development of our forwards.

Half the reason the Oiler's rebuild has been such a disaster is their utter lack of competent D

Ericsson - Dekeyser
XO - Jensen
Kronwall - Hicketts
Witkowski

As I said, The ideal situation involves trading Green but you have to find a puck mover.

Huh? We also need picks so we can re-build the defense. I mean something has to give. Plus Mike Green might walk on his own accord this summer.

I realize you're on the West Coast, but don't get too caught up in the Oilers, they're just 1 team. McDavid and Draisaitl are going to be even more amazing when they get some defenseman. And they won't forget how to play hockey until then. Same thing with Larkin and what ever top 5/10 people we are going to add to that.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

I'm confident Hronek can jump in next season and put up at least 30 points in a top 4 role. I also think DeKeyser will have a better season if he starts the season healthy.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm confident Hronek can jump in next season and put up at least 30 points in a top 4 role. I also think DeKeyser will have a better season if he starts the season healthy.
You're more confident than I am. The last hyped defenseman they drafted was Kindl, and his debut was 2-2-4 in 48 games.

I'm HOPEFUL that Hronek does well. But this franchise doesn't have the track record for drafting defensemen to make me at all confident.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hronek needs to really get after this summer if you guys want to find out more than what he looks like on a stretcher at the NHL level.

I think we can have him get his feet wet, but he isn't going to last 82 games in the corner at the NHL level right now.

Cholowski could possibly make the team depending on what they have moved off the team. Both should get looks, but I have trouble penciling in Hronek right now as an everyday guy in Detroit, but we will have to see what he hopefully does in his taste this year and next pre-season.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Honestly, that D looks similar to what we were icing in 14-15, the year before we signed Green.

Ericsson: check
Dekeyser: check
Kronwall check
XO: semi check

Swap out Jensen, XO, Hicketts and Witkowski with Smith, Quincy and partial seasons of Lashoff, Zidlicky, Kindl and XO's 21 year old self and you roughly have the same D, except 3 years older.

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Ericsson - Dekeyser
XO - Jensen
Kronwall - Hicketts
Witkowski

Honestly, I don't think Green is great at moving the puck from D through the neutral zone.

But he is solid in the O-zone.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Honestly, that D looks similar to what we were icing in 14-15, the year before we signed Green.

Ericsson: check
Dekeyser: check
Kronwall check

XO: semi check

Swap out Jensen, XO, Hicketts and Witkowski with Smith, Quincy and partial seasons of Lashoff, Zidlicky, Kindl and XO's 21 year old self and you roughly have the same D, except 3 years older.
Both were far better players in 14-15 than they are now.

Though I do think people overrate how badly losing Green will hurt us going forward, hes good in the offensive zone, mediocre at best anywhere else, if we can't develop a better D than Green soon then we're in real trouble.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You're more confident than I am. The last hyped defenseman they drafted was Kindl, and his debut was 2-2-4 in 48 games.

I'm HOPEFUL that Hronek does well. But this franchise doesn't have the track record for drafting defensemen to make me at all confident.
And Kindl’s AHL rookie year he had 17 points in 75 games. Hronek has 18 in 36.

Let’s not judge prospects based on how unrelated players drafted 10+ years prior by different scouting staffs turned out.

If Hronek can’t cut it, maybe Hicketts can. Maybe Cholowski can. Maybe Sulak comes over. Outside chance Saarijarvi takes a big step or that we have a freshly drafted d-man that looks NHL ready.

Point being; we have options. Can’t be afraid to move Green, sooner or later the big defensive rebuild will need to start.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And Kindl’s AHL rookie year he had 17 points in 75 games. Hronek has 18 in 36.

Let’s not judge prospects based on how unrelated players drafted 10+ years prior by different scouting staffs turned out.

If Hronek can’t cut it, maybe Hicketts can. Maybe Cholowski can. Maybe Sulak comes over. Outside chance Saarijarvi takes a big step or that we have a freshly drafted d-man that looks NHL ready.

Point being; we have options. Can’t be afraid to move Green, sooner or later the big defensive rebuild will need to start.
Totally agree on moving Green and giving kids chances. I just have conservative expectations for how those kids might start out (yet still want to give them chances).

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Totally agree on moving Green and giving kids chances. I just have conservative expectations for how those kids might start out (yet still want to give them chances).
Even if no one steps in and immediately replaces Green 1:1, the combined effect of inserting puck-moving D-men like Hronek, Hicketts and Cholowski instead of XO/Kronwall can help make up the loss.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yup, the answers to our problems are either kids we have drafted, or kids we will be drafting soon. Gotta start thinking like a re-building team.

Absolutely

It' why we need to try and trade a few guys with term

Get an asset now,
Save cap space now to use on one year UFAs to then flip next TDL for another asset,
Save cap space long term to use on more umpsctful players (ideally)...

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
And why would we do that?

Not saying we should, but the only logic is cap dump as Ward is a UFA, Howard has another year left. Though I think Howard has value, you could trade him and get assets back, especially if you retain some salary.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Even if no one steps in and immediately replaces Green 1:1, the combined effect of inserting puck-moving D-men like Hronek, Hicketts and Cholowski instead of XO/Kronwall can help make up the loss.

And even if it makes it harder on the forwards who cares. They have to work harder to get the puck and get better in their own zone without Green getting it to them. On top of that, not having a puck mover allows the team to tank. With the potential loss of Green and a bunch of rookies on the blue line the odds of getting Hughes next year are way better

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Most GM's make really bad mistakes every season, perhaps we can capitalize soon.
I dunno... That sounds like it ranks dangerously high on the RAS (Risk Aversion Scale). It's standard Red Wing protocol to scrutinize anything bolder than lukewarm tapwater. ;)

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Musts for me to be happy as a fan: Green for at least a second +. Ideally a first.

Desired trades I want Holland to at least explore:

1. Retain a mil to 1.5 of Helm’s salary and ship him if at all possible. Return is irrelevant

2. Mrazek to NYI for a 2nd if he keeps staying hot. Not imperitive that we move him, especially for peanuts, but I doubt either party has each other in their future plans.

3. XO for a 6th

If Holland can do the Green trade and at least one of the secondary deals I’ll be happy. I would be a Tatar/Nyquist trade, but I think those types of deals happen more at the draft. Maybe Tatar plus one of our seconds to move up to the late teens/early 20s?

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Read yesterday that Green likes it here and wants to stay. He also said he hasnt been approached for a contract extension. I wonder if Kenny will decide to keep him and instead flog other peaces.

Reactions: mjtm777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad