Speculation: NHL teams being told Detroit ready to deal

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
yes, and then everyone we draft will be sent down to GR for 5-6 years, where they will die as hockey players.

I think we've already started to see Management's philosophy changing regarding this. Sure guys like XO won't be given opportunities quickly, but Larkin didn't have an extended stay in GR and Rasmussen by all accounts almost made the team out of Juniors. Sure Svechnikov is taking forever, but honestly that's pretty deserved at this point. The NHL is getting younger and the wings are rebuilding. They'll give young guys chances. Especially top 40 picks in a strong draft.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
And here's more speculation from Spector:

NHL Rumor Mill – January 26, 2018 | Spectors Hockey

LATEST ON THE RED WINGS

THE ATHLETIC: Craig Custance reports an NHL source said the Detroit Red Wings have informed potential trade-deadline buyers that they’re ready to sell now. Unrestricted free agent defenseman Mike Green is the obvious trade candidate but there are others they could move.

The Wings came close last fall to trading goaltender Petr Mrazek to Edmonton but the return at that time wasn’t much, believed to be a mid-round pick. His improved play of late may increase his value. Veteran netminder Jimmy Howard, meanwhile, could also be available. The problem with moving Mrazek or Howard is there isn’t much of a market for goaltenders right now.
Custance speculates the Vegas Golden Knights could be a destination for Green. Golden Knights GM George McPhee knows Green well from their days with the Washington Capitals. If there’s an interest in a Wings’ forward with term remaining on their contract, such as Tomas Tatar or Gustav Nyquist, a trade would be entertained if a deal makes sense now.

Only the Wings young players, such as Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha and Andreas Athanasiou, are considered untouchable. Detroit’s blueline must also get younger and better.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Green is one for certain. He’s got a full no-trade but I can see him waiving it to go to a playoff contender. The Golden Knights are playing well but they could benefit from a rental addition to their blueline. Green’s puck-moving abilities could make him a good fit there if the price is right. So far, however, the Wings haven’t yet approached him about waiving that clause.

A playoff bubble team in dire need of a goaltending upgrade (hello there, New York Islanders) could express interest in Mrazek or Howard. I think Howard might be more enticing to a playoff club. Yes, Mrazek is playing well this month but his previous inconsistency could hurt his value.

Both Carolina and NYI could use goaltending help right now. Would be awesome to offload Howard and Mrazek this year, but I doubt it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Both Carolina and NYI could use goaltending help right now. Would be awesome to offload Howard and Mrazek this year, but I doubt it.

No don' trade mrazek

Likely less return and higher upside

Resign him for a year. If he still sucks next summer well hey, Howard can always come home again just like osgood did

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
yes, and then everyone we draft will be sent down to GR for 5-6 years, where they will die as hockey players.

Just get over this stone age mantra.

When we were on our success years, we drafted with 1st overall at ~25 overall and at 2nd round with ~55 overall.

This is huge difference for nowadays situation. Like, if we trade Green and get another 1st ~30 overall, we will have:

DET 1st, ~1-7 overall
Cont 1st, ~30 overall
Ottawa 2nd, currently 34 overall
Det 2nd, currently 37 overall.

4 picks at TOP40, when we usually had only one on ZERO on our success years.

THIS IS HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Players are more ready, they don't need as many maturing years at Griffins. Or someone will have. Like Svechnikov, guy is struggling there, even though he is a first rounder. Keeping Bertuzzi on minors was ABSOLUTELY THE RIGHT MOVE. Year ago he was nowhere near NHL. Now he looks like born in NHL.

Why whine about this? I just don't get it and I'm sick of this freaking whining. Our drafting positions are getting better every year and we have multiple pick a lot more higher than on previous decades.

And people still come to whine. Moronic behaviour.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I know I'm an hfweirdo for this but the only guys i DO NOT want to trade are Larkin, Mantha, AA, Green. I've explained this before but the gist of it is
A: i watch hockey for entertainment and these are the guys who entertain me now.
B: i would hate to be a young forward playing with our defense minus Green and i totally believe it could hurt their development and drive long term.

Of course if we get a reasonable replacement for Green's skillset by the start of next season then that works for me just as well.

Reactions: SirloinUB
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I know I'm an hfweirdo for this but the only guys i DO NOT want to trade are Larkin, Mantha, AA, Green. I've explained this before but the gist of it is
A: i watch hockey for entertainment and these are the guys who entertain me now.
B: i would hate to be a young forward playing with our defense minus Green and i totally believe it could hurt their development and drive long term.

Of course if we get a reasonable replacement for Green's skillset by the start of next season then that works for me just as well.
Counterpoint: no Green paves the way for other entertaining defensemen, like Hronek, Cholo, and Saarijarvi. Plus, with no decent puckmovers, those guys will have a job more quickly.

I guess that assumes you find our younger defensemen entertaining, though.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

You overrate Green.
His even strength production is nothing special, even on this team.
His primary point production is even worse.

He has the very worst CF% on the defense despite the second easiest faceoff zone deployment.

His impact on Detroit is mixed

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You overrate Green.
His even strength production is nothing special, even on this team.
His primary point production is even worse.

He has the very worst CF% on the defense despite the second easiest faceoff zone deployment.

His impact on Detroit is mixed

He's a PP guy, always has been. He's top 10 in PP points for defenseman. Guys that can run a power play will always have value. Still has more ES pts than Slavin, Shattenkirk (who got a big return last yr), Ekblad, Ristolainen, Brodie. Same amount as Letang.

Also - zone. starts. don't. matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Run the Jewels

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Being entertained by a pending UFA for the longest stretch of meaningless hockey in 25 years that leads into a perceived strong draft class isn't very high on my priority list.

How entertaining has he made this team recently?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Counterpoint: no Green paves the way for other entertaining defensemen, like Hronek, Cholo, and Saarijarvi. Plus, with no decent puckmovers, those guys will have a job more quickly.

I guess that assumes you find our younger defensemen entertaining, though.
You could be right. I hope so. To be honest i don't watch any hockey other than Red Wings hockey, so i don't know how good these guys really are. If they can really replace Green in short order i will be more than satisfied.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
He's a PP guy, always has been. He's top 10 in PP points for defenseman. Guys that can run a power play have huge value. More ES pts than Slavin, Shattenkirk (who got a big return last yr), Ekblad, Ristolainen, Brodie. Same amount as Letang.

Also - zone. starts. don't. matter.

Overrated.
The defensive equivalent of Thomas Vanek.

Hope we get a nice return for him.
But not counting on it.

Regardless - he needs to go, even if all we get is second round pick.

I'd consider allowing him back at a lower salary if we have the cap room.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Being entertained by a pending UFA for the longest stretch of meaningless hockey in 25 years that leads into a perceived strong draft class isn't very high on my priority list.

How entertaining has he made this team recently?

For all the good offense Green brings, he's outright lazy at times, defensively -- and that's a hard thing to live with on defense.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013

But the risk with not trading Green is you lose him for nothing this summer.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I dont know why but I have a very distinct feeling that we are going to be way more active this deadline than people think.

Im predicting that the following are traded:

Green for picks
XO for picks
Howard for picks
Tatar or Nyquist for a dman

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I dont know why but I have a very distinct feeling that we are going to be way more active this deadline than people think.

Im predicting that the following are traded:

Green for picks
XO for picks
Howard for picks
Tatar or Nyquist for a dman
I love your optimism.

I'm figuring it'll be something like Green and a marginal player like XO.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Gotta trade Green. Return will be good and it's s very strong draft. I'd like to move Nyquist, he's probably at the top of his value right now. Sell high. I don't see Howard or Mrazek going anywhere, goalie market is crap. I'd be inclined to move Howard I just don't see him interesting anyone.

Short term core is Larkin, Athanasiou, Tatar, Mantha, and Mrazek. I'm not entirely sure on Mantha or Mrazek so I'd be open to trading them, I just don't know that the value is going to be there given both are so very inconsistent. I'm not including lil Bert but I do like what I've seen thus far so keep him and see how he develops.

Green and Nyquist should give you two more bullets in a deep draft. No one wants Abby, Helm, Howard, Neilsen, etc. Lots of albatrosses.

Another key is we get a top flight scouting staff. Deep drafts mean nothing if you have a scouting team that routinely fans, this is most obvious in our drafting and development of defensemen. We need a major upgrade in this area.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Gotta trade Green. Return will be good and it's s very strong draft. I'd like to move Nyquist, he's probably at the top of his value right now. Sell high. I don't see Howard or Mrazek going anywhere, goalie market is crap. I'd be inclined to move Howard I just don't see him interesting anyone.

Short term core is Larkin, Athanasiou, Tatar, Mantha, and Mrazek. I'm not entirely sure on Mantha or Mrazek so I'd be open to trading them, I just don't know that the value is going to be there given both are so very inconsistent. I'm not including lil Bert but I do like what I've seen thus far so keep him and see how he develops.

Green and Nyquist should give you two more bullets in a deep draft. No one wants Abby, Helm, Howard, Neilsen, etc. Lots of albatrosses.

Another key is we get a top flight scouting staff. Deep drafts mean nothing if you have a scouting team that routinely fans, this is most obvious in our drafting and development of defensemen. We need a major upgrade in this area.

I really don't like the idea of moving Nyquist - but you're right. His value is probably highest right now.
I think Howard might have had value if you moved him when he was rocking a .930 sv percentage -- especially if you were willing to retain salary.
I think a Nielsen or Helm could have value too, if you retain.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Point B is the important part here guys. Outside of Green we have no D that can transition the puck and that will have a negative impact on our young forwards.

I’m okay trading him if there is a specific plan to bring in some guys that have a transition game. The ideal situation would be to ship him out to a team like Tampa Bay and then signing him as a UFA. Helene St James actually mentioned that he could come back at a reduced salary for 2018.

And no, assuming one of Cholo, Hronek, or saarijarvi are going to be ready isn’t going to cut it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No one knows how long it will take to fix the defense. You don't refrain from making a trade because of that, especially not with an impending UFA that is in his 30's.

Larkin has played most of his career with a trash D core, and is doing just fine.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Point B is the important part here guys. Outside of Green we have no D that can transition the puck and that will have a negative impact on our young forwards.

I’m okay trading him if there is a specific plan to bring in some guys that have a transition game. The ideal situation would be to ship him out to a team like Tampa Bay and then signing him as a UFA. Helene St James actually mentioned that he could come back at a reduced salary for 2018.

And no, assuming one of Cholo, Hronek, or saarijarvi are going to be ready isn’t going to cut it.
If nobody's ready and Green doesn't come back, you cross that bridge when you come to it. But failing to get value for a UFA who is not returning would be idiotic.

Besides, this team isn't going anywhere this year, and it's not going anywhere next year. It'll be a lot easier later on if you admit that to yourself now.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
No one knows how long it will take to fix the defense. You don't refrain from making a trade because of that, especially not with an impending UFA that is in his 30's.

Larkin has played most of his career with a trash D core, and is doing just fine.

And the proposal is to ice a worse D... Yikes. I'd be shocked if the group below doesn't hurt the development of our forwards.

Half the reason the Oiler's rebuild has been such a disaster is their utter lack of competent D

Ericsson - Dekeyser
XO - Jensen
Kronwall - Hicketts
Witkowski

If nobody's ready and Green doesn't come back, you cross that bridge when you come to it. But failing to get value for a UFA who is not returning would be idiotic.

Besides, this team isn't going anywhere this year, and it's not going anywhere next year. It'll be a lot easier later on if you admit that to yourself now.

As I said, The ideal situation involves trading Green but you have to find a puck mover.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad