NHL suspends season due to COVID-19 pandemic part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Does anyone else not really miss professional sports? Like, at all?

Don't get me wrong, I will be happy to see the return of NHL hockey (whenever that is, in whatever form it ends up taking). But for someone who watched every Sens game and pored over stats, potential draft picks etc. near obsessively before the season shutdown, it's kind of shocking how little the absence of all that has bothered or affected me.

I admire your strength, as this is freaking killing me. No sports whatsoever, with nothing on the horizon and no sign of hope anywhere, is like my version of hell. I cannot put into words how much I hate this.

Reactions: Silencio

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Does anyone else not really miss professional sports? Like, at all?

Don't get me wrong, I will be happy to see the return of NHL hockey (whenever that is, in whatever form it ends up taking). But for someone who watched every Sens game and pored over stats, potential draft picks etc. near obsessively before the season shutdown, it's kind of shocking how little the absence of all that has bothered or affected me.
My sports obsession has been filled with my new COVID19 obsession. I’m not sure if I’ve ever watched the news this regularly before.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I will say the Canadian banks haven't been very helpful and I hope someone at the federal or provincial level steps up. Everyone else is sacrificing. The banks are making sure to get their pound of flesh in future interest on deferred payments. It's ridiculous.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Essentially they are just "printing" it but I think that's a massive oversimplification of quantitative easing which is much more complex, which works and can be a good thing especially in the kind of situation we are in.

I can write a really long explanation if you want trying to simplify where I can.

Safe to say - the Bank of Canada doing this is the best possible thing it could be doing right now in trying to free up cash to be put to use and avoid a deflationary spiral.

I have the time :) feel free to explain what ever you are willing to share ... if every impacted nation (most) print and inflate their currencies at a similar rate to combat deflation and all the handouts is there a chance we all come out of this “normal” ?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
What are you even talking about?

Cause of death has always been subjective to a certain degree, here's a quote from the 2003 physicians handbook on certification of death:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/misc/hb_cod.pdf

There's even a section on doubt

This is why in the reporting guidance specifically says to report COVID–19 on a death certificate as “probable” or “presumed” when circumstances are compelling but no lab test was done.

This isn't a relaxation, it's clarification on existing standards.

Odd that they would need "clarification" documents sent out to medically trained doctors who have been doing this line of work for their entire life, all this really does is open the window for doctors to over report. :huh:

Looks like definitive and presumptive deaths are included in CDCs death totals which has the media/news outlet misinterpreting the data by not making the distinction.

There was a re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health and it was found that only 12% of the death certificates in Italy shows a direct causality from COVID-19, while 88% of patients that passed had either 1-3 pre-morbidities. So it looks like Italy didn't make the distinction and their numbers could potentially be way off from what has been reported to the public. This was a few weeks ago. Weird that CDC elects to adopt the same methodology despite the re-adjustments done on Italy that show numbers that are entirely different. I wouldn't be surprised if this was done across the globe.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Essentially they are just "printing" it but I think that's a massive oversimplification of quantitative easing which is much more complex, which works and can be a good thing especially in the kind of situation we are in.

I can write a really long explanation if you want trying to simplify where I can.

Safe to say - the Bank of Canada doing this is the best possible thing it could be doing right now in trying to free up cash to be put to use and avoid a deflationary spiral.
So we’re looking at post world war 1, 1923, Germany printing off money.

First your bread is 700 Reichsmarks (January), 1200 (May), 100,000 (July), two million (September), 670 million (October) and then 80 billion Reichsmarks (November).

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
In an international level, we currently have the 13th most cases. Of the 13 countries, only Switzerland, Italy and Germany have conducted more per capita testing according to world o meters data. So while things certainly need to improve in Ontario, this is an unprecedented global event and the response from our collective provincial and federal governments has been pretty damn good.

One constant across the world - every country is criticised at home for its reactions. Sometimes a country is held up elsewhere as a good example, but rest assured they're being lambasted at home. In a way it makes say China's intolerance of dissent over their handling of it kinda weird. Like, nobody's perfect guys, you did all right, don't sweat it!

In the midst of it all Sweden seems to be determined to act as a control, which will I guess at least be interesting to see? Though you can't help but think they're just digging themselves a hole. I was just there around Christmas and the fact is that Swedes tend to stay a couple metres away from each other at all times anyway, and generally live their lives more "isolatedly" than well clearly Italians or Spaniards.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
One constant across the world - every country is criticised at home for its reactions. Sometimes a country is held up elsewhere as a good example, but rest assured they're being lambasted at home. In a way it makes say China's intolerance of dissent over their handling of it kinda weird. Like, nobody's perfect guys, you did all right, don't sweat it!

In the midst of it all Sweden seems to be determined to act as a control, which will I guess at least be interesting to see? Though you can't help but think they're just digging themselves a hole. I was just there around Christmas and the fact is that Swedes tend to stay a couple metres away from each other at all times anyway, and generally live their lives more "isolatedly" than well clearly Italians or Spaniards.
Hopefully Canadians will adopt this habit even after the pandemic. Tired of getting bumped into in airport security lines, and tired of people bunching around the baggage carousel where it would be so much easier for people to take a couple of steps back so everyone can access their luggage and get out easily.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
If we come out of this and the PS unions are not willing to cooperate and rollback their compensation, I will go insane.

EVERYONE has taken a financial hit in the past few weeks, whether it's due to losing their job, a decrease in their business revenue, losing the value of their investments, or (eventually) a rollback in their salaries -- and I guarantee you that virtually all private sector employees will be taking a pay cut in the next few months.

There's no way that a responsible member of our society can believe that they somehow shouldn't also take a hit.

Any politician that even suggests such a thing will be relegated to the dustbin of political history instantaneously. There's no way this happens, especially under the current government. What may take place are things like hiring freezes, early retirements etc.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

We are starting to see more discussion from different entities on what "re-opening" looks like. It's being openly discussed here in Canada also.

We have models and data. So far the data is running below the models in terms of infected, hospitalized, ventilated and dead. That can only go on for so long before we arrive at total civil unrest and a total economic meltdown. People need to work.

Reactions: maclean

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Any politician that even suggests such a thing will be relegated to the dustbin of political history instantaneously. There's no way this happens, especially under the current government. What may take place are things like hiring freezes, early retirements etc.
This seems much more plausible than blanketing the population with rollbacks.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I will say the Canadian banks haven't been very helpful and I hope someone at the federal or provincial level steps up. Everyone else is sacrificing. The banks are making sure to get their pound of flesh in future interest on deferred payments. It's ridiculous.
Basically paying interest on interest.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I know. Those damn Health CareWorkers, First Responders and Military are just stealing money. Let’s make sure those teachers give back some salary as well, because that’s sure to go well. Social workers and prison guards, border agents and those damn scientists should also take a big pay cut.

These public servants bring nothing to society compared to sales people, lawyers and app developers.
I'll respond to this twice, as there are two distinct components to my response.

First - my wife is a teacher in the Quebec CEGEP system. So, she's part of a PS union. She works hard, her work is important and beneficial to society, and she makes a reasonable but not outrageous salary (she could certainly make more if she went back to the private sector).

I am FULLY supportive of the notion that she should take a pay cut. Our household income will be reduced, and we'll have to find a way to deal with that.

But we realize that eventually the government will have to make some cuts as a result of these exceptional times. If the choice is between her getting a smaller pay check, verses other cuts to the service -- say fewer CEGEP programs available, or trying to teach the same programs with fewer teachers (which meanst the quality will suffer) -- then we'd much prefer the former.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I know. Those damn Health CareWorkers, First Responders and Military are just stealing money. Let’s make sure those teachers give back some salary as well, because that’s sure to go well. Social workers and prison guards, border agents and those damn scientists should also take a big pay cut.

These public servants bring nothing to society compared to sales people, lawyers and app developers.
Response #2.

I never said the public servants bring nothing to society. I said the economic impact of this pandemic will / should hit everyone in society -- why would one segment be sheltered?

The governments are being hit a double whammy -- they are going to have to continue to fund relief programs to help out all the people and businesses affected, AND because the economy is going to shrink dramatically the revenues from taxes will also shrink. I can't quantify either of these things, but even rough estimates tell you we (our society) are in big big trouble.

Where do you think the money comes from to pay public service salaries? Is it just some magical pot that we can keep dipping in to forever?

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
There was a re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health and it was found that only 12% of the death certificates in Italy shows a direct causality from COVID-19, while 88% of patients that passed had either 1-3 pre-morbidities. So it looks like Italy didn't make the distinction and their numbers could potentially be way off from what has been reported to the public. ...

Okay this is the first time I've seen anyone quantify the error in the reported deaths. If it really is off by up to 88%, then that dramatically changes things.

Can you provide a link to the above study? I found this one: https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Report-COVID-2019_17_marzo-v2.pdf ... but it's in Italian.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Okay this is the first time I've seen anyone quantify the error in the reported deaths. If it really is off by up to 88%, then that dramatically changes things.

Can you provide a link to the above study? I found this one: https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Report-COVID-2019_17_marzo-v2.pdf ... but it's in Italian.

Why have so many coronavirus patients died in Italy?

It certainly is more plausible IF .... a) the reduction in staff is in areas where that is acceptable (can we really get by with fewer police officers and health care workers?) and b) if the actual numbers add up.
I think there are reports in America where a ton of nurses and medical staff are being laid off during this pandemic.

Detroit Medical Center laying off 60 amid coronavirus; McLaren eyes furloughs

Hospitals are cutting staff just when America needs them most

Pay cuts, furloughs, and layoffs for doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers are mounting as the coronavirus pandemic hits hospitals

There are more if you search.

Quite odd to be laying off hospital staff during a pandemic. You would think that additional workers would be needed to handle the influx of people getting tested or dieing from Covid-19.

I do admit though I don't have much experience on the business side of things when it comes to lay offs. Perhaps a massive reduction in surgeries etc are sucking the funds hence the layoffs

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613 and Beville

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

These are unprecedented times. I don't think that anything will end up off the table

The are early retirement provisions in the government's collective agreements. Early retirement is governed by work force adjustment provisions. If you are not familiar with that term, google it. In a world where taxpayers are hurting coast to coast do you think the government is going to spend money to buy out public servants?

No one can see the future on this other than to say the future is unlikely to look like the present

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
These are unprecedented times. I don't think that anything will end up off the table

The are early retirement provisions in the government's collective agreements. Early retirement is governed by work force adjustment provisions. If you are not familiar with that term, google it. In a world where taxpayers are hurting coast to coast do you think the government is going to spend money to buy out public servants?

No one can see the future on this other than to say the future is unlikely to look like the present

You really foresee a minority Liberal government led by Justin Trudeau slashing the pay of public servants across the board as an actual possibility? I'm more likely to develop the Covid cure in my bathtub tonight, than that happening.

Reactions: Variable26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad