Prospect Info: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2023-24 Seasons | Hershey 12x (and Defending) Champions Edition

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
This is a really cool story about winding sports following.

I grew up in DC so have always been a Caps fan. I landed in Raleight from 1991 to 1998 and had season tickets to the Raleigh Ice Caps (ECHL). That was insane times. My season tickets were 225 per seat for the entire season. Then i was an inaugural Hurricanes season ticket holder. The first two years they played in Greensboro so first year I commuted to games from Raleigh. The second year I commuted from Charlotte. Then they moved into RBC and I could only go occasionally. Moved back to DC area in 2001 and have been full hog on Caps since.
For me, the Bears weren't affiliated with the Caps when my parents first started taking my brother and me to games; it was the last year of the Colorado affiliation. The Phantoms won the Cup that year on the backs of Carter, Richards, etc. and they showed some of those games on CSN Philly, so I followed that run a bit, and when the NHL came back the next season, I watched and followed the Flyers since we got the channel their games were on. Of course, that wound up also being the first year of the Bears-Caps affiliation and it's still one of my favorites to look back on. So Bears-Phantoms games were kind of weird for me for a while, lol.

I don't necessarily concern myself with what the Caps do with their roster at the NHL level (trades, free agency, etc) unless it directly impacts the Bears, but I do follow their draft picks and minor league signings with interest each year. And of course, it's always good to see the former Bears succeed.

Reactions: MFHOOD and DWGie26

MFHOOD

Apr 29, 2024
These are some really great points all around. The Bears affiliate history is quite interesting and I haven't even properly gone through it all. It does mean you'll see a lot of different jerseys at bears games and a lot of unique fans in that regard, which I think is pretty cool honestly.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
These are some really great points all around. The Bears affiliate history is quite interesting and I haven't even properly gone through it all. It does mean you'll see a lot of different jerseys at bears games and a lot of unique fans in that regard, which I think is pretty cool honestly.
Wasn't it Gordie Howe who said something like "Anyone who's anyone in hockey has been through Hershey". And Howe never actually played there.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Wasn't it Gordie Howe who said something like "Anyone who's anyone in hockey has been through Hershey". And Howe never actually played there.
He did, or at the very least it was attributed to him. He did attend a game at Giant Center back in 2012 or 13 at the very least.

Semi related side note, I wish the Caps would play a preseason game in Hershey again. They did each of the first two years of the affiliation and nothing since. I remember the Caps playing the Devils in Hershey in the 06 preseason and getting to see Ovi and Brodeur play. In 05 they played the Penguins at Giant Center. Between the usual Bears fans and the increasing number of MD plates I see at Giant Center each year, it would almost definitely be well attended.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
WHAT, NHL GAMES IN THE GIANT CENTER?! That would be insanely cool! I should have gotten into this sport way earlier...
I *think* the Avs also played a couple preseason games in Hershey when they were affiliated, but before the move to Giant Center. Some quick googling shows this happened in 1997 and 1998

• Wow
Reactions: MFHOOD

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
He did, or at the very least it was attributed to him. He did attend a game at Giant Center back in 2012 or 13 at the very least.

Semi related side note, I wish the Caps would play a preseason game in Hershey again. They did each of the first two years of the affiliation and nothing since. I remember the Caps playing the Devils in Hershey in the 06 preseason and getting to see Ovi and Brodeur play. In 05 they played the Penguins at Giant Center. Between the usual Bears fans and the increasing number of MD plates I see at Giant Center each year, it would almost definitely be well attended.
Think I was at the caps/pens at Hershey in the preseason. Was like a perfect sized arena no bad seat in the house being used to regular NHL sized arenas.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

MFHOOD

Apr 29, 2024
Alright boys. We have the opportunity to do something amazing here tonight. And by that, I mean close this series out in three games and stop worrying about Hartford for the rest of the year!

I fully believe we can do it. Last two games have looked really good. Of course we're not on home turf tonight, but if the Bears can rally together and keep the momentum, we got this.

MFHOOD

Apr 29, 2024
1716417973827.png

Hartford fans are staying home tonight lol

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

MFHOOD

Apr 29, 2024
let's hope they have some good locker room butt-slaps and come out strong for the second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad