NHL suspends season due to COVID-19 pandemic part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Last thread was closing in on 1000 posts and getting off topic so time for a clean start

Thread is about the NHL suspending the season and general COVID-19 talk.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Its possible we hear the Olympics cancellation first.

When the democrats running for president stopped their campaigns they "suspended" their campaigns. In case something totally unexpected happens they wanted to preserve their options. But, we know.

Early on in this crisis there was an announcement about a large number of attendees at a dental conference all testing positive. Can you imagine they have a Sens game and then a week or so later they announce thousands of Ottawa area residents suddenly testing positive, almost all related to attendees at a Sens game? I wonder if their insurance companies will play role. I dont envy those needing to make these decisions

Reactions: Raze The Stray

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Its possible we hear the Olympics cancellation first.

When the democrats running for president stopped their campaigns they "suspended" their campaigns. In case something totally unexpected happens they wanted to preserve their options. But, we know.

Early on in this crisis there was an announcement about a large number of attendees at a dental conference all testing positive. Can you imagine they have a Sens game and then a week or so later they announce thousands of Ottawa area residents suddenly testing positive, almost all related to attendees at a Sens game? I wonder if their insurance companies will play role. I dont envy those needing to make these decisions
Thinking any remaining games any teams should play for this year , will be played in empty arenas ...

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
NHL will wait to officially cancel the season before worrying about lottery impact. Given they've said they won't let an abbreviated season this year impact a clean full year next year (i.e. delay next year), I think it's to say they'll make a call by mid April on the 2020 NHL season. And they will only wait that long if things are starting to look slightly better. If the next two weeks go as it looks like it will, I suspect the NHL season is officially cancelled by Easter. Either way, this likely means a postponement of the planned Lottery, until they do a wrap on the season. Lottery in whatever form will take place soon after.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Thinking any remaining games any teams should play for this year , will be played in empty arenas ...

Unless testing kits are in such abundance that they can waste 100 test kits for every NHL game, this really isn't feasible. It's already been shot down by several insiders. How can you really guarantee everyone at the rink and playing doesn't have Covid? And where do you get all these test kits? When do you test them, and what is the wait time? And why are the kits being used for a hockey game if others need them elsewhere? The empty arena idea just doesn't really work in the short-term - and I mean in the next 3 months while supplies are still going to be low.

I'm just hoping we have hockey in October.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It does feel like the smartest thig to do is cancel the season. We're likely still a month or more away from the peak of cases.

And after that, I don't like the idea of just throwing 700 players on the ice and having them play a condensed schedule/playoffs after being off for a month or two. While some guys do have their own workout facilities in their homes...they aren't true gym quality. Last thing the NHL needs is to have a ton of guys suddenly get groin/abdominal tears and other injuries that puts a lot of guys on the shelf for the beginning of next season.

I'd rather just shut it down now, and have next September be a fresh start for everyone.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm a Manchester City, Kansas City Chiefs and Raptors fan. We are now indefinite champions. This makes me certain the Sens will get the #1 pick and complete the sweep for me. The only thing it cost? The a global pandemic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silencio

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

Trumps just going to end it and if you die you die

I'm not sure he could. Individual states seem to have a lot of power on this one for things like quarantine, states of emergency, etc.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The season is toast, the sooner they announce it the better, might hammer home to people that if they dont take it seriously that we may not have sports next year either. The sad truth of it is that people simply arent taking this seriously.

Once the season is cancelled I hope they get on with the draft so we know exactly whats happening and how screwed the sens are getting. You know its not going to go down where every team has a shot at the lottery. Dumb considering 85% of the season was played but its going to happen.

Reactions: Alfie11 and Beville

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!

Canada's politicians aren't quite there .. yet

There was a video of Italian Police pulling someone out of a car, folding him in half and cuffing him, and arresting him.

the Italians are not messing about with this anymore.

This is what’s gonna happen across the world I imagine, powers are being bought into the UK that if needed the Police can arrest most people for anything - granted I don’t know where they’ll end up with the limited capacity for detainees but that’s someone else’s problem.

Also it’s been Mother’s Day yesterday; the amount of people showing a blatant disregard for social distancing is disgraceful.

as for the season, just cancel it. The players are losing their season fitness, don’t bring it back to risk injury to them. Call it a day, sort a draft/lottery, and resume in October. And for the love of god, don’t pack hundreds into a venue for a draft just so it all via video link or something.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
There was a video of Italian Police pulling someone out of a car, folding him in half and cuffing him, and arresting him.

This is what’s gonna happen across the world I imagine, powers are being bought into the UK that if needed the Police can arrest most people for anything - granted I don’t know where they’ll end up with the limited capacity for detainees but that’s someone else’s problem.

Also it’s been Mother’s Day yesterday; the amount of people showing a blatant disregard for social distancing is disgraceful.

as for the season, just cancel it. The players are losing their season fitness, don’t bring it back to risk injury to them. Call it a day, sort a draft/lottery, and resume in October. And for the love of god, don’t pack hundreds into a venue for a draft just so it all via video link or something.
Martial law in full effect.

Freedom will start to permanently dissipate. Economy will continue to suffer and changes will be brought forward.

Reactions: guyzeur and Beville

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
There’s a huge part of USA population that in another month will be like “f*** it, let’s just get back to work”

you see it in the trump tweet comments... people are selfish when they see the retirement vanishing and the mortality rate really only effecting older people

you’ll see an uproar

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
[mod]

It's nothing new though, already over 2-3 weeks now, even before most people in NA started to believe it was something serious. I have been posting about this in the old thread, mostly about people that could face criminal charges.

It's also starting here, read yesterday there's $ fines already. No choice because you know, if you can't drive fast in a school street, it's because there's a reason but some people are litterally stupid so you need laws, a lot of laws for about anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Martial law in full effect.

Freedom will start to permanently dissipate. Economy will continue to suffer and changes will be brought forward.
Sorry Pierre in Orleans, I can't take anything you're saying seriously with your Pierre Dorion's pic SMILING as avatar. Keep PD as avatar but with a much more grim face.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
NO FREEDOMS WILL SUFFER.

No, we are not going to Hell in a Hand basket.

Read your history, after periods of hardship and stress, humanity typically resorts to democracy and greater freedoms.

While WWII was still going, the Brits voted Churchill out and voted Attlee in...The Americans re-upped Truman in 1948 and rejected men like Douglas MacArthur. And so on...

In the aftermath of this..by mid summer to years end..you will see a far greater liberal society, that is much more democratic and much more effective.

These are difficult time, needing difficult actions..yes, short term, some harsh laws are needed. All that is happening is, we have dumb people out there in droves..And that small portion is causing a need for harsher action..Guess what, society functions that way..the city of Ottawa has ~5000 cops...why, because a few hundred to a few thousands idiots force us to need them.. 1 million residents, a few hundred idiots...cause 5000 policeman..

How many morons are hoarding supplies..sadly, they impact all of us..How many morons are disobeying quarantine requests...How many morons are misbehaving in general?

The sad reality is a few idiots, lead to a few thousand people needed to coral them and induce harm in a few million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad