GDT: NHL Draft 2017

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I bet we did offer 12th plus d prospect plus forward prospect for Duchene.

Then Sakic said, "Naw, how 'bout 12th plus Hanifin?".

15 minutes later RF realized Sakic was dead set on that price tag, not negotiating. *click*

Then all's for the best...assuming it was a "last, best" sort of offer with multiple top pieces, I'd rather keep something like Bean, Gauthier and Necas than get Duchene.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
So the draft picks this weekend go off and develop for a few years.

Attention turns to UFA's. Pretty much looking at JWill, Hanzal or Bonino as only potential top-6ish guys out there that we can "reasonably" expect to sign here. Amirite?

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I don't see Hanzal or Bonino as reasonable at all. I think they're both going to be out of our price range as there's going to be lot of suitors for both.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
So, started looking for youtube-videos for our guys, but it was not easy.

* Luke Martin is some kind of food guy, and even after searching for Luke Martin hockey, I'm sure it was some other guy with the same name.

* Brendan de Jong is the name of a PGA-golfer.

* Ville Räsänen is the name of a finnish MMA-fighter.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Kinda just noticed we didn't take anyone from the OHL. When was the last time that's happened, if ever?

2005, which was just a bad draft for us to begin with. Out of the players we picked only two played a single NHL game, Jack Johnson and Nic Blanchard.

Num. | Round | Player | Pos | Drafted From | GP | G | A | Pts | PIM
3|1|Jack Johnson|D|U.S. Junior National Team (Intl)|711|63|204|267|432
58|2|Nate Hagemo|D|U. of Minnesota (WCHA)|0|0|0|0|0
64|3|Joe Barnes|C|Saskatoon Blades (WHL)|0|0|0|0|0
94|4|Jakub Vojta|D|Sparta Jrs. (Czech Rep)|0|0|0|0|0
123|4|Ondrej Otcenas|L|Trencin Jrs (Slovakia)|0|0|0|0|0
145|5|Timothy Kunes|D|New England Jr. Falcons (EJHL)|0|0|0|0|0
159|5|Risto Korhonen|D|Karpat Jrs. (Finland)|0|0|0|0|0
192|6|Nicolas Blanchard|L|Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL)|9|0|0|0|20
198|7|Kyle Lawson|D|U.S. Junior National Team (Intl)|0|0|0|0|0

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
There were a few good prospects, like Maxine Fortier and Nate Knoepke not taken in this draft worth a training camp invite. Hope GMRF has room for one or two.

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
So how do you folks think the weekend panned out for us,
I'm pretty happy to grab TVR and Necas seems like he has a ton of potential and it's going to be fun following his progress... probably most thrilled we walked away with our defense core still intact...Glad Ronny isn't as panicky as me

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't know much about draft stuff but Necas looks like another good two-way forward to add to the pile. It's going to be real interesting over the next few years watching all these kids come up to the NHL.

It's not unrealistic that by 2019 the forward lineup contains Skinner, Aho, Lindholm, Roy, Gauthier, Staal, Teravainen, Rask, Wallmark, Zykov, Saarela and Necas. That's crazy if you look at where we were just two years ago.

Love the Luke Martin pick, just because he seems to fit the mold of guys who have been successful. Love the TVR trade, getting a solid player that we needed for minimal cost.

Matheos is the other player that really intrigues me from this draft. Anytime I see the words "north south" on a scouting report that gets me excited because those are the kinds of guys who can come in immediately with an impact and their game translates quickly to the NHL.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
2005, which was just a bad draft for us to begin with. Out of the players we picked only two played a single NHL game, Jack Johnson and Nic Blanchard.

3|1|Jack Johnson|D|U.S. Junior National Team (Intl)|711|63|204|267|432
58|2|Nate Hagemo|D|U. of Minnesota (WCHA)|0|0|0|0|0
64|3|Joe Barnes|C|Saskatoon Blades (WHL)|0|0|0|0|0
94|4|Jakub Vojta|D|Sparta Jrs. (Czech Rep)|0|0|0|0|0
123|4|Ondrej Otcenas|L|Trencin Jrs (Slovakia)|0|0|0|0|0
145|5|Timothy Kunes|D|New England Jr. Falcons (EJHL)|0|0|0|0|0
159|5|Risto Korhonen|D|Karpat Jrs. (Finland)|0|0|0|0|0
192|6|Nicolas Blanchard|L|Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL)|9|0|0|0|20
198|7|Kyle Lawson|D|U.S. Junior National Team (Intl)|0|0|0|0|0

And only Blanchard played in a Hurricanes uniform which makes it even more bad. At least it didn't have any affect on the following season.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
And only Blanchard played in a Hurricanes uniform which makes it even more bad. At least it didn't have any affect on the following season.

Nope, not on its own, but add in the next year being a bad draft year too and that helps explain some of our issues.

63|2|Jamie McBain|D|U.S. National Under 18 Team|348|30|80|110|72
93|3|Harrison Reed|R|Sarnia Sting (OHL)|0|0|0|0|0
123|4|Bobby Hughes|C|Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)|0|0|0|0|0
153|5|Stephane Chaput|C|Lewiston MAINEiacs (QMJHL)|0|0|0|0|0
183|6|Nick Dodge|R|Clarkson University (ECAC)|0|0|0|0|0
213|7|Justin Krueger|D|Penticton Vees (BCHL)|0|0|0|0|0

'07 and '08 weren't exactly great years either, Brandon Sutter aside.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
It's honestly incredible how our drafting has literally flipped from being one of the perennial worst drafting teams in the league to being one of the best. I mean time will tell again from this draft, but I feel really good about it again.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I don't see Hanzal or Bonino as reasonable at all. I think they're both going to be out of our price range as there's going to be lot of suitors for both.

I was on the Bonino bandwagon earlier, but I'm less certain now. I still think he could be a valuable depth piece, but I think TT played well in 2 roles last season. He was effective centering that 3rd line, but didn't do well at the dot. He also was effective as an RW on Jordan's line (w/Aho).

The way it seems to shake out right now, however is something like this:

Skinner/Rask/XXX
Aho/Staal/Lindholm
XXX/Teravainen/Stempniak
Nordstrom/XXX/Mcginn or PDG

With Lindholm able to move up or down as well as from RW to C, we have flexibility. To me there are 3 forward positions open, one or two of which might be taken by Checkers. So at least one UFA/trade add.

It's honestly incredible how our drafting has literally flipped from being one of the perennial worst drafting teams in the league to being one of the best. I mean time will tell again from this draft, but I feel really good about it again.

Yup, even if none of the guys we drafted this season will sniff the NHL for 2 or 3 seasons.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I personally think this will be the year we expect Brock McGinn to take a regular shift from the opening drop of the season. Especially if he continues to do what he has done every season to this point and show up a little better than he was last time we saw him. He's exactly the type of 3rd line winger that teams are looking for now. It has been a little discouraging to say the least that PDG and McGinn haven't really taken the wheel, but I think McGinn has more confidently beaten the AHL level. I still think there's a 15-20-35 guy in there. I think this is the season we'll see it. We desperately need the jam he provides and it's a component that we don't really have without him. I think it's safe to put his name in pencil in that 3rd line slot barring something unexpected from Roy or Gauthier as it pertains to their readiness.

I also believe that Aho will be tried at center to start this season in absence of having been able to secure someone to play that spot.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I was on the Bonino bandwagon earlier, but I'm less certain now. I still think he could be a valuable depth piece, but I think TT played well in 2 roles last season. He was effective centering that 3rd line, but didn't do well at the dot. He also was effective as an RW on Jordan's line (w/Aho).

The way it seems to shake out right now, however is something like this:

Skinner/Rask/XXX
Aho/Staal/Lindholm
XXX/Teravainen/Stempniak
Nordstrom/XXX/Mcginn or PDG

With Lindholm able to move up or down as well as from RW to C, we have flexibility. To me there are 3 forward positions open, one or two of which might be taken by Checkers. So at least one UFA/trade add.

Yup, even if none of the guys we drafted this season will sniff the NHL for 2 or 3 seasons.

I hope/think we will see something like this:

Skinner - Rask - (Vrbata)
Aho - Staal - Lindholm
TT - (Bonino/Hanzal) - Stempniak
Nordstrom - (Boyle) - (Stalberg) <- Would really like to see him back...love him on the PK and his speed...plus we always need more Swedes.

Bonino hasn't made much over his career I'd offer him 3x2.75m
Hanzal if Bonino doesn't pan out 2x3.5m
Boyle 2x2.2m - don't mind overpaying him for 1 year I'm sure someone will throw a high pick for him at the TDL if we're out of it.
Stalburger - ??
Vrbata 1x3m with a lot of bonuses (1m for 20g) (1m for 20a) 500k for 70 gp

We can afford to offer more to these guys as we're not at the floor yet. Hard to get an idea what the market will look like.

PDG and McGinn as callups.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Does anyone know if Vegas is shopping Neal or if they intend him to play for them this season?

Doubt a deal exists with all the picks gone and him having 1 yr left.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I hope/think we will see something like this:

Skinner - Rask - (Vrbata)
Aho - Staal - Lindholm
TT - (Bonino/Hanzal) - Stempniak
Nordstrom - (Boyle) - (Stalberg) <- Would really like to see him back...love him on the PK and his speed...plus we always need more Swedes.

Bonino hasn't made much over his career I'd offer him 3x2.75m
Hanzal if Bonino doesn't pan out 2x3.5m
Boyle 2x2.2m - don't mind overpaying him for 1 year I'm sure someone will throw a high pick for him at the TDL if we're out of it.
Stalburger - ??
Vrbata 1x3m with a lot of bonuses (1m for 20g) (1m for 20a) 500k for 70 gp

We can afford to offer more to these guys as we're not at the floor yet. Hard to get an idea what the market will look like.

PDG and McGinn as callups.

Need to pencil Ryan in there somewhere. Which means we will roll with 3-3C's again this year. Ugh.
I really think Hanzal would fit well here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad