GDT: NHL Draft 2017

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Because it should be easier to find everyone's hot takes than to search for them at post #600 or so in the draft thread created in October of last year. You can find that thread here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2142321

2017_NHL_Entry_Draft_logo.png

2017 NHL Draft
Fri, June 23, 7pm ET (NBCSN, Sportsnet)
Sat, June 24, 10am ET (NHL Network, Sportsnet)
United Center, Chicago

McKenzie's final rankings: http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-draft-ranking-top-93-and-honourable-mentions-1.778987

NHL Central Scouting Rankings: http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?year=2017

Picks:

#12: Martin Necas - C
Czech Rep
6'1" 175lbs

Martin_Necas-$.jpg

Hurricanes scouting notes:
MacDonald's take: "He's a skilled player who can skate. He competes very hard. He's a 200-foot player. For a European player, he plays with some edge, and you have to like that. He plays with the men in the elite league in Czech. He was a very good player there and had a very strong playoff with a championship team. Looks like he'll probably return there for another season next year possibly, and that will be a good thing for his development. In a couple of years, we feel that he'll be a guy who will be able to come in and challenge for a spot."

Francis' take: "We got a guy that we think is highly skilled with good speed, skill and hockey sense. He plays with a bit of an edge. I talked to a lot of teams, and they had him real high on their lists, so for us to get him at 12, we're excited about that."

Necas on his game: "I think I am a typical playmaker. I like to play a two-way game. I think I am a very good skater, and I need to work on my strength and being stronger."

#42: Eetu Luostarinen - C
Finland
6'2" 180 lbs

LUOSTARINEN_EETU.png.600x750_q85_box-144%2C156%2C730%2C888.png

MacDonald's take: "He's got size and skill. He can skate and shoot the puck. At this stage of his development, he's playing with the men there. It can only enhance his game and make him a better player as he goes forward. We're pretty excited about this guy."

Francis' take: "He's a little bit of a dark horse or sleeper, but Joni Pitkanen and Robert Kron felt real strong that this is a guy who has strong upside."

#52: Luke Martin - D
6'2" 200 lbs
United States

luke-martin-poses-for-a-headshot-at-the-nhl-combine-at-harborcenter-picture-id691289838

MacDonald's take: "He's a big man. He's a good skater. We think he's got more offensive dimension than he's shown now. You could call him a big shutdown defenseman at this point in time, but he's more than that. We feel that he's got some offense in his game. I think that with the new coaching staff taking over in Michigan, I think they're looking at Luke to take on a leadership role. I think he's looking to embrace that, and it will certainly enhance his profile as a player."

Martin on his biggest asset: "My defending abilities. I make really smart, sound decisions. I have a really grounded defensive game."

Martin on who he models his game after: "I really like Brent Seabrook, a lot of what he does. His defensive shutdown abilities, and he's able to add in offensively. He has an edge, and he's also a leader. I try to emulate him on the ice as much as I can."

#67: Morgan Geekie - C/RW
6'2" 170 lbs
Canada

Geekie

MacDonald's take: "Another guy who's got good size. There was been some questions about his skating, but we don't think they're really that valid. He skates pretty well. He's a player who's been through a draft, but he had a 90-point season on a pretty good team. He made a major contribution to their offensive effort. He's a very reliable player at both ends of the ice. He plays a 200-foot game. He's a player who his teammates look up to."

Francis' take: "A big centerman with 90 points. He went through the draft last year, and we thought he was worth taking a shot on."

#73: Stelio Matheos - C
6'1" 190
Canada

Mattheos_Action_White-1024x576.jpg

MacDonald's take: "He's a big guy who plays a heavy game. He skates and shoots the puck, but he's a tough guy to play against. We need some of that in our lineup. We need some of that in our organization. He's going to bring that. He gives it 100 percent every night."

Mattheos on who he models his game after: "I think the guy I can compare myself to is Blake Wheeler. We play pretty straight lines and compete hard. I can shoot or pass, and I think I'm a two-way player."

#104: Eetu Makiniemi - G
6'2" 175 lbs
Finland

14310728_1608853332741443_665753773_n.jpg

MacDonald's take: "Joni was really high on this guy, and Kron was high on this guy. He's a big goalie. Very athletic and very quick. He challenges the shooter. A player that, as goaltenders go, we had him higher on our list than probably most teams because our people knew him better than most. We're looking forward to getting him into camp and getting a look at him up close."

#166: Brendan De Jong - D
6'5" 190 lbs
Canada

0311_SPT_Brendan-De-Jong.jpg

MacDonald's take: "Shutdown-style guy. He's a big man who skates pretty well. As well as having that size and ability to defend using his size and reach, we feel there is a little more un-tapped offensive dimension there in his game. He's evolving. Another player who has been through a draft, but we're looking for hockey players. We don't mind if a guy has gone through once; it doesn't mean he's not a good prospect."

Francis' take: "He's big, 6-foot-5-plus, but he can skate and do a lot of good things. The last half of this year was strong for him. Guys were excited about that."

#197: Ville Rasanen D
6'2" 170 lbs
Finland

aea203d778fc778848b39e38d2449fc6_XL.jpg

MacDonald's take: "The boys were in my ear about this guy all day long. We thought we could get him later because he is an under-the-radar guy. He's a great, tremendous skater. Explosive. A player who will put up big numbers, similar to (Miro) Heiskanen who was drafted very early in the first round. Another guy who Joni is very excited about, and so is Robert Kron. We hope we got a steal on this guy in the seventh round like we got with Frederik Andersen."

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Always so pumped for draft day!

I really hope we actually take a RD or two in the second/third rounds. (Cue Cale Fleury lol) Thinking about 3 years down the road Faulk will be a FA, who knows if he's staying here? Outside of Faulk, Pesce, and TVR there's no sure thing in the system to replace one of those guys if needed. If Faulk does stay I like the flexibility we have to flip a defenseman for a position if need, it'd be nice to have that flexibility on the right side too.

Outside of McKeown there's no one with potential for the right side.

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I'd also be a big fan if we draft Ostap Stafin. For the sole reason that I like his name.

"Ooooostaaaap it!"

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I like the upside of almost everyone projected around #12 (if they make the pick). Give me Suzuki or Tolvanen if I had to chose. I wouldn't be against trading up a couple spots for Tippett.

I'd be really excited if the Canes reached for Vesalainen. If they see magic in him and catch lightning in a bottle, similar to the Aho pick, then he could turn out to be the best player in the Draft.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Other cool names to keep an eye on in the first few rounds - (Urho, P-Oliver, U-P, Eetu, Stelio, Eemili)

Everyone's complaining this is a weak draft... I don't know what they are talking about? These draft names are some of the best I've ever seen!

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
On a serious note Morgan Geekie (cool last name) catches my eye. He's ranked anywhere from around a late 2nd to 3rd rounder. At the same time he put up 35 goals, 90pts in the WHL and has the size of an NHLer at 6'2 178 pounds. He was undrafted last season but had quite the leap in production from his previous season. Could be a steal here.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Other than Hanifin, when it was obvious, when is the last time the Canes actually picked a guy we thought they were going to pick with their 1st pick? Maybe 2013? IIRC, in 2013, the board wanted Nichushkin, but pretty much thought we'd take Monahan or Lindholm. Other than that, seems like we never get it right.

Paradis: Nope
Skinner: Nope
Murphy: Nope
2012: no 1st rounder
Lindholm: Kinda
Fleury: Nope
Hanifin: Yep
Bean: Nope

I have no clue who they'll pick this year, assuming they keep the pick.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I like the upside of almost everyone projected around #12 (if they make the pick). Give me Suzuki or Tolvanen if I had to chose. I wouldn't be against trading up a couple spots for Tippett.

I'd be really excited if the Canes reached for Vesalainen. If they see magic in him and catch lightning in a bottle, similar to the Aho pick, then he could turn out to be the best player in the Draft.

I hope we don't take, let along trade up to do so, Tippett. He is a clone of Gauthier....lots of skill, big questions about if he can think the game at the NHL level and work well with teammates.

Guys I would love at #12 if it is not traded would be Pettersson, Necas, Andersson, and Suzuki. I wouldn't hate Tolvanen either, but those four are a strong preference for me over him.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I've heard lots of amazing things about Tolvanen the last week or so, it kinda got me excited about his upside. Seems like he could be a scorer or playmaker at the NHL level, has the tools for either.

Also ok with a RHD, likely Liljegren in that range.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I've heard lots of amazing things about Tolvinen the last week or so, it kinda got me excited about his upside. Seems like he could be a scorer or playmaker at the NHL level, has the tools for either.

Also ok with a RHD, likely Liljegren in that range.

Wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Rasanen with one of our thirds. Big rhd.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
We will pick another defenseman tonight.

TBH I'd be okay with that, hopefully a RD though if that's the case. Though I hope we take more shots at defensemen in the mid rounds with the success of finding gems like Faulk, Pesce, & Slavin in those rounds.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Necas looks like a David Krejci clone in my extremely limited viewing. Could certainly do worse than that.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Agreed. I don't thunk I'd be freak out level disappointed but I'd still be a bit ticked especially if some guys like Mittlestadt or Pettersen are still on the board.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I'm not sure Rasmussen is exactly RF type of player. Great size but nothing else. Lias is pretty good two-way forward, Necas is good playmaker, Suzuki could be dynamite. I prefer even Vesalainen from the forwards than Rasmussen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad