Prospect Info: NHL 2017 Entry Draft: Year of the Homegrown Talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
TBH, I think the some from the Jets organisation have learned from the Stanley situation.

I really hope so. You should never go into a first-round pick having second guesses about the people that are available where you're picking. That said, I hope the jets are in a capable left handed defenseman in their position in the draft, or one that falls to them. I don't think anybody needs to be reminded of how bleak the left side looks after Enstrom and Morrissey.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If they have changed their thinking on Stanley, is there a chance he could be traded before he ever suits up in a Jets or Moose uniform? Perhaps even as early as this years draft?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Hypothetically speaking, a team could value a player or prospect less than they did previously but still view them as someone worth more than their trade value.

Let's say there are 3 variables to a player: A, B, and C. A player's value would then be aA+bB+cC.
A team one day comes to believe that they had been over valuing variable C. This doesn't mean every player that was high in C is all of a sudden not worth keeping.

Of course I'm moving now not just into speculative but also theoretical as well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I suspect probably not based on how early he was signed. Forfeiting a 2nd round pick.

Actually, the Jets didn't "forfeit" a 2nd round pick, they swapped it for a 3rd round pick (Luke Green). If you look at who was actually picked in the Jets' original draft slots, it would be:

Stanley (#18) + Green (#79) vs. Rubtsov (#22) + Laberge (#36)

Hypothetically speaking, a team could value a player or prospect less than they did previously but still view them as someone worth more than their trade value.

Let's say there are 3 variables to a player: A, B, and C. A player's value would then be aA+bB+cC.
A team one day comes to believe that they had been over valuing variable C. This doesn't mean every player that was high in C is all of a sudden not worth keeping.

Of course I'm moving now not just into speculative but also theoretical as well.

Good point. I wonder whether the Jets have seen how effective a player like Morrissey can be at the NHL level and whether that might have swayed them towards a greater emphasis on quickness and puck-moving abilities.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I hated the pick but I wouldn't want him traded now. Noone would give us a mid-first.

I also hated the pick at the time, but probably more because of what it said about the Jets' drafting, which had been pretty spot on in the 1st rounds previously.

Since the pick, my opinion of Stanley has improved somewhat based on a few viewings and his improvement in shot volume and production (with almost no PP time).

In a recent poll of NHL scouts, he was rated at #30 from last year's draft. Considering he missed half a season with injury, that's not such a bit drop. Interestingly, that panel of scouts still ranks him ahead of Clague, Johansen, Hajek, etc. The only D that was selected after him that they rank ahead of him is Cholowski at #26.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/how-would-the-2016-nhl-draft-unfold-if-we-did-it-again-today

This doesn't necessarily mean that's where Stanley should be ranked, but it's a reasonable indication of his relative value to NHL teams.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I also hated the pick at the time, but probably more because of what it said about the Jets' drafting, which had been pretty spot on in the 1st rounds previously.

Since the pick, my opinion of Stanley has improved somewhat based on a few viewings and his improvement in shot volume and production (with almost no PP time).

In a recent poll of NHL scouts, he was rated at #30 from last year's draft. Considering he missed half a season with injury, that's not such a bit drop. Interestingly, that panel of scouts still ranks him ahead of Clague, Johansen, Hajek, etc. The only D that was selected after him that they rank ahead of him is Cholowski at #26.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/how-would-the-2016-nhl-draft-unfold-if-we-did-it-again-today

This doesn't necessarily mean that's where Stanley should be ranked, but it's a reasonable indication of his relative value to NHL teams.

I think there are still quite a few teams who would love to have Stanley in their cupboard. The old school mentality exists in a majority of the leagues management groups still. There are probably easily 15 teams that want Stanley. He has decent value I'd bet.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Actually, the Jets didn't "forfeit" a 2nd round pick, they swapped it for a 3rd round pick (Luke Green). If you look at who was actually picked in the Jets' original draft slots, it would be:

Stanley (#18) + Green (#79) vs. Rubtsov (#22) + Laberge (#36)

Good point. I wonder whether the Jets have seen how effective a player like Morrissey can be at the NHL level and whether that might have swayed them towards a greater emphasis on quickness and puck-moving abilities.

I think they were referring to the compensatory pick we could have gotten by not signing him, rather than the one we traded away.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think they were referring to the compensatory pick we could have gotten by not signing him, rather than the one we traded away.

Oh. That wouldn't make sense. I think he's worth more than a future mid/late 2nd rounder.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The comparative value of different aspects: size, skating, puck skills, iq, scoring, defending, etc.

Personally I would not have traded up to get him. If he is there when you draft take him. I still think it was poor asset management. Someone or some people were banging the draft room table for him though.

I do know he is ours now so I kind of want him to succeed. Disappointing that he got injured because I think he was turning a corner. Guess we will find out next year

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Personally I would not have traded up to get him. If he is there when you draft take him. I still think it was poor asset management. Someone or some people were banging the draft room table for him though.

I do know he is ours now so I kind of want him to succeed. Disappointing that he got injured because I think he was turning a corner. Guess we will find out next year

I thought Windsor was hosting the Memorial Cup? Any chance we see him there, or have reports come out saying he's expected to still be out?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I thought Windsor was hosting the Memorial Cup? Any chance we see him there, or have reports come out saying he's expected to still be out?

It's uncertain at this point but it was reported earlier he might be back in time.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Agree.

Some were and I don't think many had much argument against, but I think not everyone in the organization was fond with the outcome in retrospect.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No sure which is a poorer move - drafting him with our first or trading him now for a 2019 mid-late second rounder.

check that. i know.

When he fails to make the NHL fulltime that 2nd rounder will look like the better option. Give it time.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
No sure which is a poorer move - drafting him with our first or trading him now for a 2019 mid-late second rounder.

check that. i know.

When he fails to make the NHL fulltime that 2nd rounder will look like the better option. Give it time.

Average second round pick has less than a 1/5 (20%) chance to make the NHL for 20 games.

Not saying you are right or wrong. Just context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad