Prospect Info: NHL 2017 Entry Draft: Year of the Homegrown Talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I like both but I think Glass has higher upside. I think Valimaki tops out as a very solid top 4 guy but I don't see him being a 1/2 guy on a good team. Glass has 1st line center upside

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like both but I think Glass has higher upside. I think Valimaki tops out as a very solid top 4 guy but I don't see him being a 1/2 guy on a good team. Glass has 1st line center upside

Thanks I haven't really seen much of Glass so I'm definitely reliant on you folks that have.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not sure how you can call two different men's leagues "weak competition". The only one of those three that might be a risk by your rationale is Makar.

Allsvenskan is a lower level league. We see a lot, maybe most of the top Swedish prospects playing in SHL. That said Pettersson is producing. Button certainly sounded impressed by him.

I guess I shouldn't have included Necas in that either. The Czech league should be comparable to the other non KHL Euro leagues.

Ok, I withdraw my reservations about those 2. :)

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I liked that feature they did with Button on the draft where he projects some guys for our range. Talked about Glass, Suzuki (suprised me), Petterson and Heiskanen.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I liked that feature they did with Button on the draft where he projects some guys for our range. Talked about Glass, Suzuki (suprised me), Petterson and Heiskanen.

I'd be very happy with any of the first three and satisfied with Heiskanen. They are 5,6,8 and 10 on my list.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Allsvenskan is a lower level league. We see a lot, maybe most of the top Swedish prospects playing in SHL. That said Pettersson is producing. Button certainly sounded impressed by him.

I guess I shouldn't have included Necas in that either. The Czech league should be comparable to the other non KHL Euro leagues.

Ok, I withdraw my reservations about those 2. :)

It doesn't work like that.

Most young players in Sweden play for their regional pro team.
If their regional pro team is in the Alsvenskan than they play there. If SHL they play there. Teams bounce between leagues sometimes and relegated.

Players will sometimes get loaned when young.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I have the same reservations about Makar as Snerd does. I haven't seen him play, or even watched highlights. Are his skills really so apparent that his game is sure to translate?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Some thoughts about the top guys from the west

Patrick - Still great. Franchise center,sliky hands,great wrist shot,sneaky speed and size. Very much in the Getzlaff/Kopitar mold and those guys have Stanley cups. I get why people like Hirscher over him, I like Hirscher alot but not over Patrick. A team will regret passing over this guy

Makar - If you have no qualms about his size as a Defenseman in the NHL then it makes a lot of sense to draft him high. We are talking about a player with great mobility and high end hockey IQ. He is also 5'11 180 that is a late birthday. He probably isn't going to get much bigger then that. The question will be can he play big minutes night after night going up against the top players in the NHL.

Foote - High hockey IQ,good mobility and very consistent. Questions about him are his upside. He looks more like a soid 3/4 guy in the Vlasic type of player. He isn't physical like his dad but he has size. He and Valimaki are similar players but Valimaki has a superior shot to him. I will be interested to see where he goes

Kole Lind - Very underrated power winger. Exploded in goals and points this year. Plays with an edge. Mid 1st round guy but he could go earlier or later.

Popuguev - Huge enigmatic Russian winger. Puts up points but has no idea what the defensive zone is. Floats at times and plays a lazy game. Talented though and will drive you crazy at times because he can be dominant. He actually reminds me a bit like Getzlaff because he never seemed to care but you know if he did he was going to be special.

Kailer Yamamoto - Super talented waterbug. Very Petan like. A guy if he was a couple inches taller would be in the top 3 talk. As much talent as anyone in this draft.

Jarret Anderson-Dolan - A Darkhorse in the draft. Really came on this season offensively. Gifted hands and great shot. A real compliment to Yamamoto and someone who will excel with a good scoring center. Smart player.

Stelio Mattheos - Local boy. I think bigger things were expected out of him. Tireless worker. Good talent. Good shot. Hockey IQ is solid. Suffered when Patrick went down. Picked it up a bit as the season went along. Had a very good playoffs. Can improve his stock with a good u18. Probably an early 2nd round pick now.

Henri Jokiharju - A bit of unknown at the start of the season. Had a very solid rookie year. Good puck mover and solid defensive positioning. Needs to get stronger off the puck. Shot is average. Not a great playofff so far. Another guy that is on the bubble for the 1st round.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Some thoughts about the top guys from the west

Patrick - Still great. Franchise center,sliky hands,great wrist shot,sneaky speed and size. Very much in the Getzlaff/Kopitar mold and those guys have Stanley cups. I get why people like Hirscher over him, I like Hirscher alot but not over Patrick. A team will regret passing over this guy

Makar - If you have no qualms about his size as a Defenseman in the NHL then it makes a lot of sense to draft him high. We are talking about a player with great mobility and high end hockey IQ. He is also 5'11 180 that is a late birthday. He probably isn't going to get much bigger then that. The question will be can he play big minutes night after night going up against the top players in the NHL.

Foote - High hockey IQ,good mobility and very consistent. Questions about him are his upside. He looks more like a soid 3/4 guy in the Vlasic type of player. He isn't physical like his dad but he has size. He and Valimaki are similar players but Valimaki has a superior shot to him. I will be interested to see where he goes

Kole Lind - Very underrated power winger. Exploded in goals and points this year. Plays with an edge. Mid 1st round guy but he could go earlier or later.

Popuguev - Huge enigmatic Russian winger. Puts up points but has no idea what the defensive zone is. Floats at times and plays a lazy game. Talented though and will drive you crazy at times because he can be dominant. He actually reminds me a bit like Getzlaff because he never seemed to care but you know if he did he was going to be special.

Kailer Yamamoto - Super talented waterbug. Very Petan like. A guy if he was a couple inches taller would be in the top 3 talk. As much talent as anyone in this draft.

Jarret Anderson-Dolan - A Darkhorse in the draft. Really came on this season offensively. Gifted hands and great shot. A real compliment to Yamamoto and someone who will excel with a good scoring center. Smart player.

Stelio Mattheos - Local boy. I think bigger things were expected out of him. Tireless worker. Good talent. Good shot. Hockey IQ is solid. Suffered when Patrick went down. Picked it up a bit as the season went along. Had a very good playoffs. Can improve his stock with a good u18. Probably an early 2nd round pick now.

Henri Jokiharju - A bit of unknown at the start of the season. Had a very solid rookie year. Good puck mover and solid defensive positioning. Needs to get stronger off the puck. Shot is average. Not a great playofff so far. Another guy that is on the bubble for the 1st round.

What are your thoughts on Patrick compared to Glass? Patrick was world's ahead last year, but Glass has numbers close to as good as him. And is the younger of the two. It's looking to me from the outside like a possible Couturier Scheifele situation, no?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
What are your thoughts on Patrick compared to Glass? Patrick was world's ahead last year, but Glass has numbers close to as good as him. And is the younger of the two. It's looking to me from the outside like a possible Couturier Scheifele situation, no?

Patrick isn't Couturier. Couturier was never a strong skater. If anything he was a below average one. He was also very physical and bull in front of the net. I don't think he ever adjusted beyond that level of player. What he is now is maybe a better version of Lowry.

I do think though Glass is very much like Schiefele in this draft. A riser who needs time to develop properly. We can argue that Schief maybe the top guy from the 2011 draft and the other 2 guys that you would debate were not every drafted in the 1st round.

You have to remember Patrick did a few things that people forget about. He score 30 in his 1st season and only 2 other players in the WHL had ever did this. He then followed that up with a tremendous season. I think if he stayed healthy this year he would have challenged for the scoring lead on a poor team.

I am strongly leaning towards Glass as my 3rd best player in this draft right now. Behind Patrick and Hirscher

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Patrick isn't Couturier. Couturier was never a strong skater. If anything he was a below average one. He was also very physical and bull in front of the net. I don't think he ever adjusted beyond that level of player. What he is now is maybe a better version of Lowry.

I do think though Glass is very much like Schiefele in this draft. A riser who needs time to develop properly. We can argue that Schief maybe the top guy from the 2011 draft and the other 2 guys that you would debate were not every drafted in the 1st round.

You have to remember Patrick did a few things that people forget about. He score 30 in his 1st season and only 2 other players in the WHL had ever did this. He then followed that up with a tremendous season. I think if he stayed healthy this year he would have challenged for the scoring lead on a poor team.

I am strongly leaning towards Glass as my 3rd best player in this draft right now. Behind Patrick and Hirscher

Yeah Patrick is quickly getting underrated for struggling to come back from a very difficult injury that has clearly impacted his ability this season. Everyone knows what a similar procedure did to Ladd's game. The good news is that Patrick is young and should be able to fully recovered from his if given the time and patience. He's still a first rate prospect imo.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I still want Valimaki or Glass. Walk away with one of those two and I'll be a happy camper. Win another lotto with those odds and I'll lose my ****.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So let's pretend we win 2nd overall again. How far would you move back in a trade for a lhd and whoever your tradings with pick.

I take Patrick or Hischier. I don't think any package we would get in a trade would be worth more on the ice than either one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad