NHL 19 Information/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
NBA 19 confirmed not to be on Frostbite...doesn't look good for NHL...

That's actually a good thing.

It was believed that one or the other would be making the switch. Some thought that since NBA is the bigger league, and there's the 2K factor, that NBA would get it first.

So the fact it isn't, likely means NHL is

Reactions: pukovnik

boltsy

Jun 22, 2017
That's actually a good thing.

It was believed that one or the other would be making the switch. Some thought that since NBA is the bigger league, and there's the 2K factor, that NBA would get it first.

So the fact it isn't, likely means NHL is

Lol, truly amazing that there are still people who have total trust in EA.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
did you hear this somewhere or just fan speculation?

Obviously speculation. EA hasn't confirmed anything, but it was believed that EA was bringing the Frostbite engine to their sports games year by year, with FIFA & Madden the past 2 years, and either NHL or NBA this year. Since NBA isn't getting the new engine, it's now a bit more likely NHL series would be getting it.

It's obviously not confirmed, and heck, it may not even be likely, but if anything, this is a better piece of news for NHL fans than "NBA Live getting Frostbite" would have been.

Lol, truly amazing that there are still people who have total trust in EA.

You're basing this ignorant post off of one of my posts. I certainly don't have "total trust in EA"

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Don't even know why they bother. NBA 2K series is incredible and EA NBA can't hold a candle to them.

I hope they keep trying. Competition drives companies to look for ways to improve their games. If 2k made a hockey game, you can be damn sure EA would have 80% of your wishlist ready to roll by the next game. MLB the show was cool for a few years then they got insanely lazy and the 2018 game is almost unplayable. Their best competitor is RBI Baseball which is a joke.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
So the lack of news is intriguing. We're only a little over 2 weeks away from the NHL awards and no mention yet (as far as I know) about revealing a cover athlete. That's typically a big sell for them year after year. Also, they usually release the game in late September, which is only about 3 and a half months away. Normally we have screenshots around this time, or a teaser trailer. Maybe they are working on something greater. That would be sick.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
So the lack of news is intriguing. We're only a little over 2 weeks away from the NHL awards and no mention yet (as far as I know) about revealing a cover athlete. That's typically a big sell for them year after year. Also, they usually release the game in late September, which is only about 3 and a half months away. Normally we have screenshots around this time, or a teaser trailer. Maybe they are working on something greater. That would be sick.

Like a good game?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Last year the first teaser wasn’t until the Awards with the Cover Reveal.

This year we are supposed to see something at EA Play, I think on the 9th?

Time will tell I guess

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
but i feel like we heard about an announcement of a cover athlete/teaser well before the awards in past years.

Just looked it up, and last year the first teaser was posted on June 7th, announcing the cover reveal and more information at the NHL Awards.

So it's possible we see something in the next couple of days.

Reactions: RABBIT

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I haven't bought an NHL game the past few years as I'm still awaiting for the NHL game to move on to the Frostbite engine. If it still looks like the same old game on the same old engine with the same animations and physics yet again, I'll take yet another hard pass on this one.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Taylor Hudema

Jun 4, 2018
Oh wow, apparently the annual survey's (which are typically a pretty good indicator of what is coming) was released; NHL 19: EA Sports Teases Major Changes - Sports Gamers Online
Actually the marketing department sends these out. Has literally nothing to do with developing or developers of the game. EA is on such a ridiculous time frame to put a game out every year (in order to keep NHL licensing) that they can only add bit by bit. In order for them to completely revamp everything would take too much time from everything else we'd get the same game + a revamped game mode (if they can complete that in time). It sucks but it is what it is, they wanna do a 2k type of thing, free roam, out door rinks type thing, but it would take up so much time they wouldn't be able to fix the other issues. So instead we get a game with game play updates and like 5 new things vs a whole revamp of something.

EA has a ridiculous schedule where they have from Oct to Jan to brainstorm what they wanna add, plus do patches and fix existing game issues. Jan to march to add said things, submit alpha version and test in April. Submit Beta version in June/July, release open beta in August, get feedback and work on patches and release the full game in September. Plus NHL doesn't pull the money of like 2k, fifa or Madden so they can't spend the amount of money those two franchises can on resources to revamp and go crazy on expenses

Last edited:

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Actually the marketing department sends these out. Has literally nothing to do with developing or developers of the game. EA is on such a ridiculous time frame to put a game out every year (in order to keep NHL licensing) that they can only add bit by bit. In order for them to completely revamp everything would take too much time from everything else we'd get the same game + a revamped game mode (if they can complete that in time). It sucks but it is what it is, they wanna do a 2k type of thing, free roam, out door rinks type thing, but it would take up so much time they wouldn't be able to fix the other issues. So instead we get a game with game play updates and like 5 new things vs a whole revamp of something.

EA has a ridiculous schedule where they have from Oct to Jan to brainstorm what they wanna add, plus do patches and fix existing game issues. Jan to march to add said things, submit alpha version and test in April. Submit Beta version in June/July, release open beta in August, get feedback and work on patches and release the full game in September. Plus NHL doesn't pull the money of like 2k, fifa or Madden so they can't spend the amount of money those two franchises can on resources to revamp and go crazy on expenses

Do you work for EA? lol

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Guessing:
-New game mode that replaces "threes"
-New animations and something something IQ
-Added some small detail to GM mode or be a pro that does make you go that is nice, but after all is the same old feeling.
-HUT revamp, add some stuff and take away some stuff, end product basically the same.
-EASHL some nice details added but nothing that makes you go nuts.

Wanting:
FROSTBITE
Roster sharing
Somehow make international teams relevant

Swiftt

Jul 3, 2016
Winnipeg
No NHL 19 info during the EA live stream... but Madden 19 and Fifa 19 got some screen time.

Likely at the NHL Awards?

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Madden 19 coming to PC.

wonder if NHL will ever make a comeback? I would go back to PC, the game is so bad that maybe modders can improve it.

Reactions: Edenjung
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad