NFL: NFC Playoff Picture

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
SF is eliminated from the playoffs this week with...
- SEA win + DET win OR
- SEA win + DET tie + GB win/tie OR
- SEA win + DET tie + TB win/tie OR
- SEA win + GB win + TB win/tie OR
- SEA win + GB tie + TB win OR
- ATL win + DET win + GB win + TB tie OR
- ATL win + DET win + GB tie + TB win OR
- DET win + GB win + TB win

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Are you going to update the OP?

I wasn't going to since last year the OP was sort of just a starter that wasn't updated throughout instead the info was posted in the thread as it went, but I've done so and will continue to do so if you guys want me to.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Detroit should win 5 of their last 6 (Baltimore, TB, Chicago, GB and Cincy) but they are the Lions so they likely drop at least one of those if not more.

But really 10-6 seems like the most likely scenario and 11-5 is very possible.

I know Jim Caldwell and the Lions "luck" will screw this up but it would really be an awful finish for the Lions not to be in the play-offs. Considering the way the Falcons game ended and the 700 trips to the Red Zone against the Steelers if the Lions miss the play-offs it has to be considered a disaster of a season.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Ran through the playoff machine for the rest of the year and got:

Phi 13-3
NO 12-4
Sea 11-5
Min 11-5
LA 11-5
Car 11-5

I don't know...I do have Det finishing 10-6 and just missing.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Olsen in Minnesota calling the game yesterday, today

If Kalil is practicing and

the Panthers are gonna be full strength soon. Perfect timing. Good warm-up game against the Jets before the battle for the South in New Orleans. I believe Carolina controls their destiny for the #2 seed (though, thinking about it, they may need another LA loss). @NYJ, @No, MIN, GB, TB, @ATL.

If they can get by New Orleans (looked beatable yesterday) and Minnesota at home (tough, but Case Keenum), I like their chances of winning out. More likely 11-5, but you never know.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Ran through the playoff machine for the rest of the year and got:

Phi 13-3
NO 12-4
Sea 11-5
Min 11-5
LA 11-5
Car 11-5

I don't know...I do have Det finishing 10-6 and just missing.

Phil 13-3
Seattle 12-4
Minnesota 12-4
New Orleans 12-4
Rams 11-5
Atlanta 10-6

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yep. Seattle's defense is stingy but doesn't create as many negative plays as they have in recent years. The pass rush has been average ever since Avril went on the shelf. Now they are missing Sherman and Kam. Now they are going to rely on RW and Baldwin and JG to win games.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yep. Seattle's defense is stingy but doesn't create as many negative plays as they have in recent years. The pass rush has been average ever since Avril went on the shelf. Now they are missing Sherman and Kam. Now they are going to rely on RW and Baldwin and JG to win games.

When u depend on your D to win, injuries will hurt your team more than relying on a QB and losing weapons at wr and RB.

Winning the division for he hawks comes down to the game in Seattle against the rams. Sweep them and they should be able to win the division.

But now, more than the other defenders stepping up, it's Wilson and the offense who have to elevate their game to compensate.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The plus side is they don't give up a lot of points and don't face another big play generator like Watson the rest of the year.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The Falcons win, but so did the Lions, Cowboys and Packers as they sit 1 game out instead of 2.

1. PHI 9-1
2. MIN 8-2
3. NOR 8-2
4. LAR 7-3
5. CAR 7-3
6. ATL 6-4 (head-2-head wins over DET and SEA looming LARGE, ATL now has 3 straight at home)
--
DET 6-4
SEA 6-4
GB 5-5
DAL 5-5

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Standings aside, Atlanta needed that win more than Seattle tonight.

Minus the Bucs(X2), Atlanta has Minnesota, New Orleans(X2) and Carolina in week 17.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Updated. SF remains barely alive after Seattle is unable to defeat Atlanta who jumps them for the 2nd WC for now.

SF will have a LOT of elimination scenarios for next week as of right now I don't believe they have any tiebreakers against GB, TB, ATL, or DET and with h2h games the best you can do is put all of ATL, TB, GB, and DET at 6-9-1, anything from them or if SF don't win will do it I think, maybe could avoid it by putting NYG or CHI at 7-9(but I don't think you can get them ahead of a 7-9 DET or GB) and bringing CAR back to 7-9 as that 3 way h2h 1-1(or no h2h in the Giants case) with crappy conference records could squeak them in. There could be other things. NYG will have elimination scenarios this week as well.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This is what I have for week 12. Not as much for SF as I thought because I forgot ATL was facing TB and had a future h2h game so that game doesn't really matter. I'll adjust if wrong when official scenarios come out.

SF eliminated with...
SF loss/tie
DET win/tie
GB win/tie
CAR win/tie + ATL win

NYG eliminated with...
NYG loss + SEA win
NYG loss + DET win/tie
NYG loss + GB win/tie
NYG loss + CAR win/tie + ATL win

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
A 10 win team will probably be left out. Maybe even two 10 win teams...

Could see an 11 win team missing TBH. And I wouldn't be entirely shocked if 2 11 win teams missed. We're in week 12 and it's still possible for a 12 win team to miss which is ridiculous. Meanwhile the AFC will almost certainly see a 9 or 8 win team get in.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It's happened before. Patriots went 11-5 and missed the playoffs the year Brady got hurt and Matt Cassel started at QB.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The above scenarios have been confirmed with 1 minor exception. A Rams win/tie has been added in the Giants SEA scenario. AFC scenarios in the other thread also confirmed

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I'm still not sure I see it. Remaining schedules:

1. PHI 9-1 (CHI, @SeA, @LAR, @NYG, OAK, DAL)
2. MIN 8-2 (@DET, @ATL, @car, CIN, @GB, CHI)
3. NO 8-2 (@LAR, CAR, @ATL, NYJ, ATL, @TB)
4. LAR 7-3 (NOR, @Ari, PHI, @SeA, @Ten, SF)
-------------
5. CAR 7-3 (@NYJ, @NOR, MIN, GB, TB, @ATL)
6. ATL 6-4 (TB, MIN, NOR, @TB, @NOR, CAR)
-------------
7. DET 6-4 (MIN, @BAL, @TB, CHI, @Cin, GB)
8. SEA 6-4 (@sf, PHI, @JAC, LAR, @DAL, ARI)

I keep coming back to something like this.

-Philadelphia wins out except for one of the NFC West road games and maybe a fully healthy Dallas, but only if they're able to rest.
-Minnesota drops the game in Lambeau if Rodgers returns and maybe one of the NFC South road games.
-New Orleans loses in Atlanta and maybe Carolina.
-Los Angeles struggles a bit without Woods and against tougher competition, losing home games to New Orleans and Philadelphia, but getting a big road win in Seattle.
-Carolina loses to Minnesota and/or New Orleans and/or Atlanta.
-Atlanta drops the Minnesota home game, but wins in New Orleans and maybe Carolina at the end of the season.

(None of those maybes change the 6 teams in the playoffs)

-Detroit loses the next two to Minnesota and a tough road game against a good defense in Baltimore, then a healthy Rodgers at the end of the year.
-Seattle is honestly the only team I can see hitting 10 and missing out, but I've got them losing in Jacksonville and at full-strength Dallas team and one of PHI/LAR.
-Green Bay's losses in Pittsburgh and Carolina are too much to overcome before Rodgers returns and they miss out on the 4-way 9-7 tie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad