Next Years Team

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I'm all for trading Dillon but we need that physical presence. We seem like a really soft team. highly skilled yes, but soft. It seems like every game pavelski, couture, donskoi, Tierney, nieto and karlsson get rocked Mutiple times. We don't really have anyone to step up if called upon nor do we have any players remotely willing to dish out a hit.

I don't think Dillon gets traded as he is willing to fight and be physical. And he has the size. He isn't an enforcer, but he does counter the opponents enforcers.

Also, Wingels plays this way, but he lacks size.

It could be that continuous physical play has made Wingels less effective. Probably a detriment to Dillon's play as well.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How exactly is Dillon supposed to protect Pavelski from getting slashed in front of the opposition's net, exactly? This line of thought is wholly confusing to me.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Not sure what post you're responding to, but that's the NHL's job. One that they woefully ignored BTW.

I was responding to the post that said that Dillon provided necessary toughness because it seemed like Pavelski etc. were constantly being pushed around or something.

And yeah, exactly my point.

Friesen39

Jul 3, 2016
How exactly is Dillon supposed to protect Pavelski from getting slashed in front of the opposition's net, exactly? This line of thought is wholly confusing to me.

I believe you're responding to the poster above your comment, and the poster below you already answered. But another point I wanted to add is that retaliation often doesn't occur mere seconds after the first incident. If an opposing forward hacks at Pavs in the offensive zone, I'm sure Dillon takes a number and will chirp at said player between whistles and/or repay that player later in the game. If it's a defender going after Pavs, odds are that Dillon will have to go out of his way to directly get back at the player which isn't easy nor advised, but he can sure hack and slash one of the other teams star forwards and let them know that was for the liberties taken on Pavelski. If the refs aren't going to police the players as they should, it then falls on the players. I'm definitely not suggesting a knee on knee or elbow to the head type of retaliation, but a good hard hit and similar style of retaliatory slash or crosscheck sends a message to stay away from Pavs, Donskoi, and so on. Obviously, hockey players are tough and proud, so one crosscheck from Dillon isn't going to scare the other player into submission, but knowing there is a price to pay helps restrain or at least prevents an escalation of the punishment other Sharks would endure. It is valuable having a guy like Dillon and a counterpart up front to play that role, while still not being a useless player like a true enforcer.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I believe you're responding to the poster above your comment, and the poster below you already answered. But another point I wanted to add is that retaliation often doesn't occur mere seconds after the first incident. If an opposing forward hacks at Pavs in the offensive zone, I'm sure Dillon takes a number and will chirp at said player between whistles and/or repay that player later in the game. If it's a defender going after Pavs, odds are that Dillon will have to go out of his way to directly get back at the player which isn't easy nor advised, but he can sure hack and slash one of the other teams star forwards and let them know that was for the liberties taken on Pavelski. If the refs aren't going to police the players as they should, it then falls on the players. I'm definitely not suggesting a knee on knee or elbow to the head type of retaliation, but a good hard hit and similar style of retaliatory slash or crosscheck sends a message to stay away from Pavs, Donskoi, and so on. Obviously, hockey players are tough and proud, so one crosscheck from Dillon isn't going to scare the other player into submission, but knowing there is a price to pay helps restrain or at least prevents an escalation of the punishment other Sharks would endure. It is valuable having a guy like Dillon and a counterpart up front to play that role, while still not being a useless player like a true enforcer.

What proof of this do you have? Because from where I'm sitting this is a made up idea that keeps dirty players in the game. Do you honestly think that Pavelski will get crosschecked more next season now that Polak is gone?

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
What proof of this do you have? Because from where I'm sitting this is a made up idea that keeps dirty players in the game. Do you honestly think that Pavelski will get crosschecked more next season now that Polak is gone?

I agree with Jux on this. I doubt there is more than a handful of NHL players (if any) that are likely to be intimidated by any other player. There's no one in the league now who are even close to some past heavyweights like Grimson. So who's out there to be scared of? Players will take the hit, and just carry on with whatever they were doing, as they know if it gets out of hand they'll just make them pay on the power play.

This is why I laugh so hard at Edmonton fans who seem to think that opposing players are going to be terrified to hit anyone on the Oilers because of just how imposing Nurse and Lucic are. It's idiotic. Yeah, they'll keep an eye on Nurse, but that's more because they know he's prone to attacking people from behind without warning. But scared of them? Don't make me laugh.

The NHL has changed. "Physicality" on players that are otherwise not very good hockey players is a useless ability in today's NHL. Polak didn't seem to intimidate the Penguins, now did he, despite him being "highly physical"? Icing a player like Polak, who was more physical than good at hockey, is one reason we lost against them.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
So something doesn't add up. The Sharks have 16 D-men signed to NHL contracts:

Martin, Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Dillon, Schlemko, DeMelo, Mueller, McNally, Roy, Brodzinski, Heed, Bergman, Ryan, Fitzgerald, and now Kelly.

Presume 7 spots at the NHL level, and that the affiliates have signed no players of their own. Per this board's vox populi, none of those players deserve/have anything to gain from ECHL time. That means there are 9 players for 6 spots at the AHL level, unless you want a player or two benched.

Someone has to be moved.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Roy's contract will slide and the org will try McNally at wing again for some reason (I don't have any explanation honestly...)

No big deal. I could see the Sharks running w/ 8 d-men too.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Re: speculation that Sharks "must" sign Enroth...

Sharks have 5 goalies under contract AND ECHL Allen has re-signed their guy.

That's a depth chart of 6 goalies.

Murray, with the AHL deal, is nominally the guy who'll be in Texas (backing up).

Until/unless the Sharks trade Grosenick or something/someone, I don't see the Sharks pursuing Enroth.

Maybe they'll invite him to camp. :dunno:

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I agree with Jux on this. I doubt there is more than a handful of NHL players (if any) that are likely to be intimidated by any other player. There's no one in the league now who are even close to some past heavyweights like Grimson. So who's out there to be scared of? Players will take the hit, and just carry on with whatever they were doing, as they know if it gets out of hand they'll just make them pay on the power play.

This is why I laugh so hard at Edmonton fans who seem to think that opposing players are going to be terrified to hit anyone on the Oilers because of just how imposing Nurse and Lucic are. It's idiotic. Yeah, they'll keep an eye on Nurse, but that's more because they know he's prone to attacking people from behind without warning. But scared of them? Don't make me laugh.

The NHL has changed. "Physicality" on players that are otherwise not very good hockey players is a useless ability in today's NHL. Polak didn't seem to intimidate the Penguins, now did he, despite him being "highly physical"? Icing a player like Polak, who was more physical than good at hockey, is one reason we lost against them.

This is an excellent post.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
no doubt we will see a pto goalie at camp

Doubtful. If they don't sign Enroth, I can see them waiting out a team like Florida, Montreal, or the Islanders who all have three waiver candidate goalies. Berra at 1.45 would be fine. Condon is at minimum but not sure if he's a good fit as a backup. Then there is J-F Berube on the island. I think he'd be a good fit and be a pretty decent guy to go with if for whatever reason Jones walks after his contract. And if the Islanders don't put him on waivers, it'd be Greiss and he'd be a good pickup at 1.5 mil.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Doubtful. If they don't sign Enroth, I can see them waiting out a team like Florida, Montreal, or the Islanders who all have three waiver candidate goalies. Berra at 1.45 would be fine. Condon is at minimum but not sure if he's a good fit as a backup. Then there is J-F Berube on the island. I think he'd be a good fit and be a pretty decent guy to go with if for whatever reason Jones walks after his contract. And if the Islanders don't put him on waivers, it'd be Greiss and he'd be a good pickup at 1.5 mil.

They want some competition so I could see them giving an older guy a chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad