Sorenson-Tierney-Karlsson
Goodrow-Carpenter-

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
(Good #5 D-man)-Schlemko
Heed-Demelo

Jones
(Backup)

Trade Dillon,Nieto,Wingels for an upgrade on Dillon and a backup goalie.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Meier-Jumbo-Pavs
Boedker-Couture-Donskoi
Marleau-Hertl-Ward
Sorenson-Tierney-Karlsson
Goodrow-Carpenter-

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
(Good #5 D-man)-Schlemko
Heed-Demelo

Jones
(Backup)

Trade Dillon,Nieto,Wingels for an upgrade on Dillon and a backup goalie.

I think Schlemko and Demelo are already good bottom pairing defensemen so that's kinda redundant imo.

Would look into trading for a forward though.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Dillon is a perfectly adequate #5/6/7 d-man. The moment Wilson trades him, he will go hunting for a 3rd pairing veteran D for the playoffs, and probably get a downgrade. If that cap space is going to be used for something valuable like a top 4 D, then I am fine with trading him, otherwise, I'd rather keep him.

All it takes is an injury to a young, small Demelo, or 35 year-old Paul Martin, and you're forced to play Mueller or Heed in the playoffs. I am very comfortable with Mueller and Heed as the 8 and 9 d-men, but not as comfortable with them being an injury-away from an every night player.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Dillon is a perfectly adequate #5/6/7 d-man. The moment Wilson trades him, he will go hunting for a 3rd pairing veteran D for the playoffs, and probably get a downgrade. If that cap space is going to be used for something valuable like a top 4 D, then I am fine with trading him, otherwise, I'd rather keep him.

All it takes is an injury to a young, small Demelo, or 35 year-old Paul Martin, and you're forced to play Mueller or Heed in the playoffs. I am very comfortable with Mueller and Heed as the 8 and 9 d-men, but not as comfortable with them being an injury-away from an every night player.

It is all contingent on how good Heed really is to be honest. If Heed is as good offensively as his stats and highlights show, then Schlemo-Heed would be a really solid 3rd pairing with DeMelo as the 7th D (just like the playoffs). Dillon is ok in the #6/#7D role but I really think that Schlemko-DeMelo/Heed would be better.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

To get to mueller/heed you will need 2 injuries to the defense to bring them in. And no matter who the sharks had in the system that would hurt any team.

Demelo right now is the 7th defensemen which means he will not be seeing much time this season barring any major injuries.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I am generally in favor of trading Dillon to make room for DeMelo and/or Heed. That said, I very much doubt DW does that. He undoubtedly knows as well or better than we do that we are most likely going to lose a D-man to LV, since apart from maybe Ward, the D they could take are markedly better than the forwards we will leave exposed. So, be willing to bet we keep Dillon this year as insurance. (And probably work out a future considerations trade to keep DeMelo here if necessary.)

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
To get to mueller/heed you will need 2 injuries to the defense to bring them in. And no matter who the sharks had in the system that would hurt any team.

Demelo right now is the 7th defensemen which means he will not be seeing much time this season barring any major injuries.

I mean just having one of them on the roster, not both, if Dillon is traded. In the season, I am fine with Heed or Mueller, I am just looking ahead to having necessary playoff depth. Teams pretty rarely have all six d-men healthy, and getting through a long playoff with your top 6 intact is pretty unlikely (we were insanely lucky last year- though I think many would have preferred Demelo to Polak in the SCF).

If we have to move someone, I'd much rather it be Wingels or Nieto than Dillon, simply because I feel more comfortable with our forward depth, though our D depth is pretty good. It's just that the forward depth borders on ridiculous. FWIW, I prefer Wingels and Nieto to Dillon for cap hit, but I want the D depth.

Obviously, as Orr says, you can't plan for every contingency, but I like to be prepared for a pretty common one.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I honestly do not know what the heck happened with Dillon. He was playing really well before he got injured last year. I felt like he had progressed to the point where he could play in our top-4. He played like garbage when he came back from injury (with DeMelo) and things got even worse when he was paired with Polak.

It did not really look like his issues were physical either, just mental. The only insurance Dillon gives us this year is depth on D for a good run. But at the same time, he will keep both Heed and DeMelo from playing in the NHL this year. If LV picks a D from us, I bet it is Martin. Which means that unless we make a trade or FA acquisition, we would need Dillon, DeMelo, Heed or Schlemko to play in the top-4 with Burns. Not a very comfortable feeling.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I honestly do not know what the heck happened with Dillon. He was playing really well before he got injured last year. I felt like he had progressed to the point where he could play in our top-4. He played like garbage when he came back from injury (with DeMelo) and things got even worse when he was paired with Polak.

It did not really look like his issues were physical either, just mental. The only insurance Dillon gives us this year is depth on D for a good run. But at the same time, he will keep both Heed and DeMelo from playing in the NHL this year. If LV picks a D from us, I bet it is Martin. Which means that unless we make a trade or FA acquisition, we would need Dillon, DeMelo, Heed or Schlemko to play in the top-4 with Burns. Not a very comfortable feeling.

I think Schlemko would do ok with Burns. If LV doesn't take Martin in the expansion draft, I still don't think he'll be in the top 4 after this season.

niel094

Jan 13, 2011
I'm all for trading Dillon but we need that physical presence. We seem like a really soft team. highly skilled yes, but soft. It seems like every game pavelski, couture, donskoi, Tierney, nieto and karlsson get rocked Mutiple times. We don't really have anyone to step up if called upon nor do we have any players remotely willing to dish out a hit.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I'm all for trading Dillon but we need that physical presence. We seem like a really soft team. highly skilled yes, but soft. It seems like every game pavelski, couture, donskoi, Tierney, nieto and karlsson get rocked Mutiple times. We don't really have anyone to step up if called upon nor do we have any players remotely willing to dish out a hit.

Eh, the Penguins last season weren't exactly a punishing physical team, and they seemed to do OK. We have plenty of guys that can hit hard, not just Dillon. Sure, we don't have a designated face puncher on the NHL roster. I don't exactly think we need to play sub-par players just because they're good at punching people in the face. We have plenty of guys that are physical and hit hard. You think Burns hits are love taps?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Physicality is overrated. You just need guys who don't back down when the going gets rough and we got plenty of them. It's not like Dillon and Polak did all that much to scare other players.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Physicality is overrated. You just need guys who don't back down when the going gets rough and we got plenty of them. It's not like Dillon and Polak did all that much to scare other players.

exactly, the hawks are least hitting teams in the league in the past 5 years, but they have what 3 cups in the past 6? but physical play is needed, always needed. just like goons were needed when detroit was winning without one running with the team.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose

You do need someone who makes it hard for the other team to plant in front of Jones. Demelo and schlemko aren't exactly the best to clear the crease. I don't think Dillon is going anywhere unless it's as part of a package to upgrade the D.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You do need someone who makes it hard for the other team to plant in front of Jones. Demelo and schlemko aren't exactly the best to clear the crease. I don't think Dillon is going anywhere unless it's as part of a package to upgrade the D.

That's what Vlasic, Burns, and Braun are for. They're not going to win every battle in front but they win more than their fair share and they are not easy to position against in front.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That's what Vlasic, Burns, and Braun are for. They're not going to win every battle in front but they win more than their fair share and they are not easy to position against in front.

Apparently burns is a pushover. Vlasic used to be, but the past few seasons he has grown a pair and is no longer a pushover in front of the net and even if vkasic isn't big enough to actually push them out of the front of the net he knows how to use his body positioning to make the guy infront usless.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose

I agree that those 3 can do the job. None of them play on the 3rd pairing.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Apparently burns is a pushover. Vlasic used to be, but the past few seasons he has grown a pair and is no longer a pushover in front of the net and even if vkasic isn't big enough to actually push them out of the front of the net he knows how to use his body positioning to make the guy infront usless.

Yea, but Vlasic keeps at them. Between positioning and cross checks, he makes it hard to stand in front of our goalie. He has become much better at it as he has gotten older and stronger.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
You can't wear a team down when they're fast enough and good enough to score all they need on breakdowns. The Sharks simply couldn't make the Pen's pay because there wasn't much board play. It worked well against the Kings, Pred's and Blue's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad