Derek Ryan spears Nils Hoglander in the nuts, how is this not a 5 minute major penalty for attempt to injure?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Marchard level shit???

More like Draisaitl level shit.

Draisaitl move.
I must agree.. Draisaitl is THE nutcracker of NHL.
You better invest in some good jocks if you wanna mess with him. All around protection

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
No, Ryan moves his upwards into the groin of Hoglander. He would not have gotten the hit on the nuts without moving the blade of the stick upwards into the private area of Hoglander. That is not a slash! If thats not spearing with the blade then spearing with the blade does not exist and its in the rules, so it does exist!

Nevertheless if you on purpose go after someones nuts from behind in a cowardly manner then its a textbook 5 minute major, could be seen as attempt to injure and put a game misconduct on top of that!
I'm sure it's been covered, but it's conclusively a spear, nor is it even likely a spear. The shaft (lol) of Ryan's stick is what appears to make contact. The blade would be out in front. You'd be extremely hard pressed to call 5 minutes for this.

Still a scummy play, but you're misrepresenting the situation to argue for a more severe penalty. He got 2 (well...4), and that is what should have been called.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
As a neutral observer your whole collection of posts on this is way over the top. Penalty for sure, maybe 5, but intent to injure???? You come across like he gave him a two handed baseball swing over the head.
No, there is absolutely no hockey play for spearing a guy in the nuts. Guys like Marchand have unfortunately inured fans to these acts, but anything intentional like this should be a long suspension.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don’t think hog has nuts. Would’ve been down longer if he did

If I had a knife and put in under your ass, and then quickly lifted the knife up with force in your ass, would you call it a stab or slash?
Spent some time in jail?

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
The NHL refs apparently do, as slashing is what was called on the ice.
Welcome to the subject of the thread. Nice to have you catch up.

If you need additional information as to why the thread was created, I'll provide the following to get you fully up to speed:

The refs didn't want to call a major on the play and eject Ryan to manage the game, despite the rulebook indicating to do as such for this particular action. They do this sometimes in the NHL. OP thinks this is unacceptable as it goes against the rulebook and the way that referees have called it in the past (despite no wording changes to this rule for a long time, if ever). Based on his writing and my reading comprehension, he deems this behaviour from the referees as intolerable as it does nothing good for the game and only promotes further actions from reoccurring.

Reactions: Dessloch and JAK

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
That play was mice nuts. The guy put his butt in our players way. Man up to it ! Separate the men, from the boys. Give it to him harder next game ! Wimps ! Lol

Reactions: Macheteops

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Pretty sublime nut job there...he's been leveling his stealth skill. Obviously should have been 2 min...which it was.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The lengths people go on this board to defend dangerous cowardly violence that have no place in hockey is puzzling, I just dont understand why it has to be defended.

How hard could it be for an Oilers fan to just hold up their hand and say "that was a shitty gutless play and deserved a 5 minute penalty" instead of trying to convince us that Hoglander almost crushed the ribs of the Ryan by softly pushing him! (it was so soft the refs called it interference and not crosschecking or roughing)
The problem with your overly exclamated diatribes is that you aren't on any morale high ground when you post garbage hoping for other players to get illegally destroyed in retaliation.
Hopefully they forget the rule book when some one destroys McDavid, perhaps thats the only way to make sure people care about cheap shots!
It's like...'yeah how hard is it for fans of X team to just admit that the player did some retaliatory dumbassery and deserved a major. I really hope when their player gets rekt illegally in further retaliation for this retaliatory act of violence, we also forget the rule book' (also add 500 exclamation points for no reason)

What an unhinged sentiment.

Reactions: Shibumi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad