Next Years Team

hockeyfan55

Nov 24, 2009
I know, too early to call the series over but I am curious on your thoughts for next years team. Better, Worse, or Same? Notable things to look for next year

Thornton, Marlove, Pavelski, Martin, Ward are going to be older (Burns and Vlasic are still quite young, Pavs too even)

Players leaving:
Polak
Spaling
Reimer
Zubrus

Players that could improve/have an off year:
Hertl
Karlsonn
Nieto
Donskoi
Jones

Wildcards:
Meier
Goldobin
Roy (Doubt he makes it)
Heed
Mueller
Chartier

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
For the 800th time tonight, I wouldn't care if two of Nieto, Wingels or Karlsson are gone.

Hopefully they bounce back, I think Karlsson has the best chance of it. Wingels and Nieto have played like pretty good 4th liners almost the whole season. Getting 24, 22 and 21 point players to replace them will be fairly easy, but not easy to replace if they bounce back to the production from the season before. And that's exactly what they were on pace for 82 games and all averaging 13-ish minutes per game. I think Goldobin could do better than that, as long as he's NHL ready by next year.

Polak should be gone.

And need a backup goalie. Hell no to Grosenick, he's not even a good AHL level goaltender. You make him Jones backup, we're in the same position as we were with Stalock and have to trade for another backup by the deadline again. I want nothing to do with him as the full time NHL backup. To hell with his one way contract, he's not NHL caliber at all. Johnson and Montoya are UFA's off the top of my head. Only problem with them is that they're both just one year removed from seasons like Stalock had and fluctuate greatly from year to year. So they could have another .920-ish year or they could have another .890-ish year....

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
We have a lot of old guys who were solid this year so I think next year will depend a lot on where Thornton, Marleau, Ward, and Martin are next year.

Burns and Vlasic were incredibly productive this year and I don't know if they're gonna be able to put up those kinds of points again next year but it would be nice if they can.

I think Hertl and Donskoi will break out next year and a full year of Couture will do a lot of good for us.

We got a few promising prospects that look to be just about ready and hopefully they force DW's hand and make the roster. I'm particularly excited about Goldobin and hopefully one of Meier, Labanc, or Chartier.

Polak's probably gone and Demelo probably takes his place would be an instant upgrade of the defensive depth IMO. Hopefully Dillon is gone too.

We might need to look for a backup goalie but I'd love it if Reimer took a 1 year, $2m deal to prove himself cuz he's had a few not great years statistically.

Overall, I think we'll be, at best, just as good but most likely worse next year but hopefully not by much.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Anyone else think there's a chance Marleau gets bought out so we can free up an expansion draft slot?

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
We have a lot of old guys who were solid this year so I think next year will depend a lot on where Thornton, Marleau, Ward, and Martin are next year.

Burns and Vlasic were incredibly productive this year and I don't know if they're gonna be able to put up those kinds of points again next year but it would be nice if they can.

Marleau is close to done. Ward and Martin haven't played as many seasons and don't have as much tread on the tires but at that age, the wheels can fall off at any time. Thornton is gonna fall off at some point. Father time is undefeated but hopefully Jumbo can be productive and dominant for a few more years.

I'm afraid that the Pens have provided the blueprint on stopping Burns and I don't see him being nearly as effective next year. He's definitely not putting up 27 goals again.

It's extremely unlikely the Sharks are gonna make back to back finals. Even the Hawks and Kings haven't done it. The old guys would basically have to maintain their play from this season, Goldobin and/or Meier would need to step in and be good complements in the top 9, and guys like Sorenson/Heed would need to pull a Donskoi and be cheap productive players. Then there's the luck and matchup factors. The Sharks have been pretty damn lucky with health until the finals with Hertl's injury. Unfortunately this is their only shot because the core is too damn old.

hockeyfan55

Nov 24, 2009
Marleau is close to done. Ward and Martin haven't played as many seasons and don't have as much tread on the tires but at that age, the wheels can fall off at any time. Thornton is gonna fall off at some point. Father time is undefeated but hopefully Jumbo can be productive and dominant for a few more years.

I'm afraid that the Pens have provided the blueprint on stopping Burns and I don't see him being nearly as effective next year. He's definitely not putting up 27 goals again.

It's extremely unlikely the Sharks are gonna make back to back finals. Even the Hawks and Kings haven't done it. The old guys would basically have to maintain their play from this season, Goldobin and/or Meier would need to step in and be good complements in the top 9, and guys like Sorenson/Heed would need to pull a Donskoi and be cheap productive players. Then there's the luck and matchup factors. The Sharks have been pretty damn lucky with health until the finals with Hertl's injury. Unfortunately this is their only shot because the core is too damn old.

I dont see Burns having that issue, you dont think any team in the last 100 games thought to block him? Hes on a 5 game scoring drought. I think he hits 25 next year

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Anyone else think there's a chance Marleau gets bought out so we can free up an expansion draft slot?

Given the leaks thus far, NMC contracts will be exempt from the expansion draft process but it may still need some clarification so who knows. I doubt they'd do it even so and I'd doubt they'd do it regardless. Makes no sense in any situation to buy him out. The scapegoating people do with him is utterly ridiculous.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Given the leaks thus far, NMC contracts will be exempt from the expansion draft process but it may still need some clarification so who knows. I doubt they'd do it even so and I'd doubt they'd do it regardless. Makes no sense in any situation to buy him out. The scapegoating people do with him is utterly ridiculous.

If it means losing one of Tierney, Dosnkoi, or Meier I think it would be shortsighted not to at least look into it.

Of course the NHL won't clarify until the day before.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If it means losing one of Tierney, Dosnkoi, or Meier I think it would be shortsighted not to at least look into it.

Of course the NHL won't clarify until the day before.

It will not ever mean losing one of those three and I don't even know why you'd even try to frame it like it could be.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

If Marleau and Thornton are exempt, does that mean the 7 F to protect from the expansion draft will likely be:

Hertl
Pavelski
Couture
Tierney
Donskoi
?
?

? could be Goldobin and/or Meier if either play next season with the Sharks?

On D, Burns, Vlasic and Braun are pretty much no brainers to protect.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Marleau and Thornton are exempt, does that mean the 7 F to protect from the expansion draft will likely be:

Hertl
Pavelski
Couture
Tierney
Donskoi
?
?

? could be Goldobin and/or Meier if either play next season with the Sharks?

On D, Burns, Vlasic and Braun are pretty much no brainers to protect.

Theoretically. Meier will be exempt. I believe Goldobin will be exempt as well. If the NMC's are exempt as well, your top five are no-brainers. I would think then that Ward and Karlsson may be the final two if that's the way it goes with NMC's.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Barring a HUGE slide in play, I still think this team is better with Marleau than what.

That's barring an even further drop off next year than what he had this year. Of course that can happen at his age and mileage, though I still think the odds are more favorable that he outproduces at least 2 of Wingels, Nieto, Karlsson next year.

Backup goalie needs to be acquired somehow. Jones started 65 games this year, which isn't too too high for a starter at all. But like 56 of them probably came in the first I don't know how many games. Did he have like 55 or 56 starts in the first 65 games or something?

I could see Grosenick coming in and being not much of an upgrade over Stalock. His AHL numbers are a joke. .894 in the AHL this year? That's almost as bad as Stalock's NHL numbers this season and a bit worse than Stalock's NHL numbers last year. And his previous two AHL years were on par with Stalock's NHL numbers in 2014-2015. Eat his one way salary and find a real backup, this guy is not it. Don't want him near the NHL in the regular season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Barring a HUGE slide in play, I still think this team is better with Marleau than what.

That's barring an even further drop off next year than what he had this year. Of course that can happen at his age and mileage, though I still think the odds are more favorable that he outproduces at least 2 of Wingels, Nieto, Karlsson next year.

Backup goalie needs to be acquired somehow. Jones started 65 games this year, which isn't too too high for a starter at all. But like 56 of them probably came in the first I don't know how many games. Did he have like 55 or 56 starts in the first 65 games or something?

I could see Grosenick coming in and being not much of an upgrade over Stalock. His AHL numbers are a joke. .894 in the AHL this year? That's almost as bad as Stalock's NHL numbers this season and a bit worse than Stalock's NHL numbers last year. And his previous two AHL years were on par with Stalock's NHL numbers in 2014-2015. Eat his one way salary and find a real backup, this guy is not it. Don't want him near the NHL in the regular season.

There are a few decent backup options in UFA that they can look at picking up whether it's Montoya or Zatkoff or Hutton. This is under the assumption that Armalis isn't going to be that guy or Grosenick. There will also be decent trade options if they really wanted to go that route but I really hope that they avoid trading yet again for a goalie when they don't have to.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Theoretically. Meier will be exempt. I believe Goldobin will be exempt as well. If the NMC's are exempt as well, your top five are no-brainers. I would think then that Ward and Karlsson may be the final two if that's the way it goes with NMC's.

Goldobin will not be exempt if they're going by the 2 year rule (which I believe they said they were going to do).

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Next year, Goldobin's gonna be a calder candidate and supplant someone from the first powerplay.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Ward - Couture - Donskoi
Marleau / (??? if he is traded) - Tierney - Goldobin
Nieto - Spaling - Sorenson/Karlsson

(Meier)

Vlasic - Braun
Martin - Burns
Dillon - Heed (PPQB)

Jones
(Really really hope Reimer stay for another year)

This team can honestly use some bottom-six firepower.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Ward - Couture - Donskoi
Marleau / (??? if he is traded) - Tierney - Goldobin
Nieto - Spaling - Sorenson/Karlsson

(Meier)

Vlasic - Braun
Martin - Burns
Dillon - Heed (PPQB)

Jones
(Really really hope Reimer stay for another year)

This team can honestly use some bottom-six firepower.
Absolutely agree on your last two points. Can't stress the bottom-six firepower enough or needing a backup goalie.

I'd like to re-sign Reimer, but he's probably the hottest goaltender available on the UFA market this year.

It's pretty much a bunch of guys that are clear cut backup goaltenders, then you got whatever is left of Cam Ward's long since cremated remains, then you got Reimer. Reimer will also be desirable option for a team that does not wanna use assets to trade for Frederik Andersen or Allen/Elliott (have to think one of them will be traded) or whoever else will be available.

The backup doesn't need to be as good as Reimer was in his 9 games or whatever it was that he played, even Reimer probably wouldn't sustain that play for a whole year. But you need a .910-ish backup at the least. Not some sub .900 or just over .90% trash like Grosenick will more than likely provide or like Stalock the last two years.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I want Hertl as a center and I don't expect Meier to be with the team more than nine games. I also hope Wingels gets traded for assets too cuz it's clear he's seen an average 4th liner and paid like a 3rd liner on this team. So:

Couture-Thornton-Pavelski
Ward-Hertl-Donskoi
Marleau-Tierney-Goldobin
Nieto-Carpenter-Karlsson

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Dillon-Demelo
Ryan-Heed

Kinda hoping Dillon gets traded though. Play Demelo as an LD if we need to cuz he can apparently play both sides reasonably well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad