Line Combos: Next year , whats missing ?

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Pou Rnh Ebs
Hall ___ Yak
Purcell Drai Lander
Hendricks Gordon Klink
Pitlick

_____ Fayne
Klef Schultz
Ference NN
MM

_____

Scrivy

so number 2 C top paring D man and a number one goalie ... not too much huh lol

The biggest holes are D and goalie
we could always re-sgn Roy for a year and put him on the 2nd and switch up with Lander/ Drai every once in a while to see if theres a fit, or trade to get Sobotka's rights

there are some D man available(assuming there teams don't re-sign them)
Ehrhoff
Martin
Green(best case as a RHD, would offer 5x7)
Franson
Sekera
or trade for one using our pick( a very good one) or pits pick , would prefer a RHD (maybe seabrook for pits first ?)

goalies are bit tougher
Niemi
maybe try Harding
European goalies ?

not much there
we could try to trade for one

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
I like putting Lander at C on that third line. I think Drai would really benefit from Anton's defensive game (even Purcell has been decent) while learning the game on the wing. In a soft minutes scenario, I think this line could really do some damage

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'd have next year looking like this:

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Roy-Yakupov
xxx-Lander-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Klinkhammer
xxx, Gazdic

xxx-xxx
Klefbom-Schultz
Marincin-Fayne
Ference

xxx
Scrivens

So just a starting goalie, 2 top pairing defenceman, a third line LW and a veteran center to be the 13th forward. #craigsonit

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Pouliot/RNH/Eberle
Hall/Roy/Yakupov
___/Lander/Purcell
Hendricks/Gordon/Klinkhammer

_____/______
Klefbom/Schultz
Ference/Fayne

_______
Scrivens

Use Pitt 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounder as trade bait to acquire top 2 Dman
Sign Ehrhoff and Neuvirth
3rd line LW spot filled from internally (Pitlick, Pakarinen, Draisaitl, Yakimov, Chase, etc)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The forward group can remain the same. If we can get a reasonable upgrade, then sure, but it shouldn't be top priority.

We need to focus on D and goaltending. That's where the major trade and cap assets should be going.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McDavid, Byfuglien, Lehner and Glencross.

Instant playoffs

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Not sure why they wouldn't resign Roy. Let Draisaitl earn his way. I'm REALLY looking forward to Hall-Roy-Yakupov. Lander has been a nice addition this season, he's missed when he's not in the line up. I'd be curious to see Yakimov on the wing.

I'm going to say Nurse to the AHL next year. maybe a late season call-up after the trade deadline. Expect Davidson to make waves in camp too.

but ya,

xxxxxxx - xxxxxxx
Klefbom - Schultz
Fayne/Marincin - Ference/Nikitin

Nikitin to be traded, best of Davidson/Nurse first call up. A chance for Klefbom, Schultz to rise into a 1/2 role, A chance for Marincin to fill a 3/4 role. Would be nice to pick up Franson to a 4 year deal. Fayne - Nurse to finish the season, Davidson seems more like a Fayne replacement to me...

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - _____ - Yakupov
Purcell - _____ - _____
Hendricks - Gordon - Klinkhammer
Gazdic
_____ - _____
Klefbom - Fayne
Ference - Schultz
Nikitin

_____
Scrivens

If you are seriously making an attempt at a playoff spot.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Pou Rnh Ebs
Hall ___ Yak
Purcell Drai Lander
Hendricks Gordon Klink
Pitlick

_____ Fayne
Klef Schultz
Ference NN
MM

_____

Scrivy

so number 2 C top paring D man and a number one goalie ... not too much huh lol

A very simple solution. At 2C, McDavid, Eichel or Strome. At 1D, Nurse.

Mact's on it, man. Nothing to worry about.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Id like to make the playoffs and this won't do it

But Oilers management is not thinking about the playoffs... next year. they have a distant, obscure future in mind. A decade of Oilers' dominance.

About the only thing I could see for next year is Bernier and Phaneuf for maybe Yak + Pittsburg's 1st, or something like that, which would be a bold move.

other than something like that, don't expect much. Mact thinks they're on the cusp, why make trades when you're so close?

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
But Oilers management is not thinking about the playoffs... next year. they have a distant, obscure future in mind. A decade of Oilers' dominance.

About the only thing I could see for next year is Bernier and Phaneuf for maybe Yak + Pittsburg's 1st, or something like that, which would be a bold move.

other than something like that, don't expect much. Mact thinks they're on the cusp, why make trades when you're so close?

lol , i can't tell if you're joking or not , but you have to know that mact doesn't know what he's talking about at all

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - _____ - Yakupov
Purcell - _____ - _____
Gazdic
_____ - _____
Klefbom - Fayne
Ference - Schultz
Nikitin

_____
Scrivens

If you are seriously making an attempt at a playoff spot.

Ference and Nikitin have to go if the team is serious about making the playoffs. Buy one out and bury the other.

Costs the team a lot of money, but if they are serious about the playoffs... :sarcasm:

With the freed up money they can go after a 2/3 C, a top pairing D and a goalie. Be it via free agency or trades for teams that have to cut salary to get under the cap.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'd have next year looking like this:

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Roy-Yakupov
Purcell-Lander-Pitlick
Hendricks-Gordon-Klinkhammer
xxx, Gazdic

xxx-xxx
Klefbom-Schultz
Marincin-Fayne
Ference

xxx
Scrivens

So just a starting goalie, 2 top pairing defenceman, a third line LW and a veteran center to be the 13th forward. #craigsonit

I pretty much agree with your line-up.

I feel that Pitlick is ready to be a 3rd liner.

I agree we need 2 first pairing d-men, but we're not going to get them. Instead I expect Mac-T through trades or free agency to acquire 2 #3-#5 d-men to fill the void. That's the best we'll be able to do. He he isn't going to trade a top 4 pick and I'm convinced that he isn't going to trade Hall, Hopkins Eberle, Yakupov, Leon or Nurse. If he doesn't move those players I don't belive there ot be any package that's going to land us a 1st pairing d-man.

As for goalies... I think we'll see Mac-T find us a goalie upgrade. There are a lot of options out there right now.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
does this really deserve its own thread? this topic has been beaten to death in almost every single one on the first page right now.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm more interested to see what will happen if we get 1st or 2nd overall and select McDavid or Eichel. Let's just imagine our center situation stays the same going into next year..

Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Roy - Yakupov
____ - Lander - Purcell

There's definitely a spot open up front but throwing McDavid or Eichel in there gives us very little experience. Trade Purcell (if you can), sign someone who's a better fit? Throw McDavid/Eichel on the 3rd line? Something else?

It'll be interesting to see what happens if we get one of those picks.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Nurse will make the team out of camp, After watching him in the WJHC I am not sure how any one doesnt' think so. Guy is so NHL ready.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
lol , i can't tell if you're joking or not , but you have to know that mact doesn't know what he's talking about at all

no doubt, and yes, I am joke (mostly). I don't expect him to make any major acquisitions.

He truly believes his team is close, AND (important, this), he doesn't have to win next year or the next. They need to be good by Roger's Place opening nite. Until, then, repeat of the last 2 years, with marginal improvement due to better coaching.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Nurse will make the team out of camp, After watching him in the WJHC I am not sure how any one doesnt' think so. Guy is so NHL ready.

I'll be pissed off if he starts the year in the NHL. I wanna get a whole lot more out of him. I want him to stay in the minors where he can continue to get stronger and work on his shot.

I really feel that Nurse will be nothing more than a shut down d-man in the NHL if we throw him into the NHL so early, but if we give him a year against some easier competition he'll likely have a better chance at having more offence in his game later down the road.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

People don't think so, because 2 months before the WJHC he was in the NHL for two games and wasn't even remotely close to being NHL ready.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm more interested to see what will happen if we get 1st or 2nd overall and select McDavid or Eichel. Let's just imagine our center situation stays the same going into next year..

Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Roy - Yakupov
____ - Lander - Purcell

There's definitely a spot open up front but throwing McDavid or Eichel in there gives us very little experience. Trade Purcell (if you can), sign someone who's a better fit? Throw McDavid/Eichel on the 3rd line? Something else?

It'll be interesting to see what happens if we get one of those picks.

If we get 2nd overall I think it's safe to say that Purcell, Lander and that Eichel will be our third line. Who knows, maybe 20 games in Eichel switches spots with Roy.

Hall-Eichel-Yakupov could be a really fun line to watch. They can all skate, pass and score.

But it's more likely that we're going to end up with the 3rd overall pick. Edmonton shows up on most nights now and I don't see how Phoenix is going to stay ahead of us from now until the end of the year. If we end up drafting Hannfin... I really don't know what this guy wants.

Does he want to play in College for another year? I don't think that there's anything more than he can prove there, but having a year in the CHL will probably be good for his conditioning considering the fact that the college players don't play as many games as the players from other developmental leagues.

Guess that's kinda irrelevant, though. I'm pretty sure that Edmonton would happily give him an NHL roster spot on opening day, as I've heard that he's very comfortable on the right side.

If Mac-T can get rid of one of Nikitin or Ference you can expect to see Nurse rushed in to play 3rd pairing minutes with Hannifin next year.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
People don't think so, because 2 months before the WJHC he was in the NHL for two games and wasn't even remotely close to being NHL ready.

Speed and aggression were there but he still needs to work on his outlet passes, his puck distribution from the point in the offensive zone and his shot is horrible. He also needs to put on more muscle.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
does this really deserve its own thread? this topic has been beaten to death in almost every single one on the first page right now.

I donno, we usually have a line combo thread going at any given time and next season is one of the best things to talk about considering the fact that we're not going to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad