Line Combos: Next year , whats missing ?

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I personally would like for him to stay down in AHL for most of the season to develop his offensive game but I also think he'd be able to swim if he's paired with a legit D partner like Seabrook, or possibly Fayne. He's a top talent, he'll adjust accordingly. Look at Brodin with Suter and Ekblad with Campbell or Trouba with whoever he was playing with (Stuart?). These guys can handle the load as long as they have a steady D-partner at their side. If we can find a guy like that I don't see any problem with it. On the other hand if the idea is to play him with Ference or Nikitin I'd much rather have him in the AHL. A guy that young shouldn't have to clean up the mess from their partner.

Even if he is paired with a Seabrook or Fayne he would most likely be playing the hardest quality of competition. Why do that to him yes he may be able to swim and handle the load. But IMHO I don't want to see him just handle the load and swim I want him to excel in said handling or get the damn gold medal if we are talking about swimming haha.

Personally I would love for Nurse to be in the AHL and develop his offence and overall game since I want to see him become a 1D rather than have him too focused on not making mistakes in NHL and focusing just on defence to worry about offence at a later date. Bring a guy in who is ready for all aspects rather than trying to become ready/prove he is ready to not be a liability defensively. The AHL is still a huge step up from the OHL and guys are older, stronger, bigger, and faster let him adjust there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Playoffs? Add these two guys and no problem

img003.jpg

messier3.jpg

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
what I'm afraid of is Mact will look at his team since the new year, the coaching, the improved play, visually, and come to the conclusion that all he needs is a goalie.

Its happened before. (cough-last year)

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Oilers are doomed for life.
While all the other teams have flashy name brand clothes
the oilers will be wearing second hand and no name jerseys for life.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
what I'm afraid of is Mact will look at his team since the new year, the coaching, the improved play, visually, and come to the conclusion that all he needs is a goalie.

Its happened before. (cough-last year)

He's pretty much stated that we just need a goalie.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
It would be better to simply not improve next season than make a bunch of terrible gambles that hurt us for a couple years after.

Bang on. Would be a travesty to wait this long for a competent squad only to piss it all away so we have a faint sniff at playoffs a season earlier. No thanks

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
A #1 goalie (Craig Anderson please). Two top 4 D, or at least one and another competent bottom 4 NHL Dman. Another center, if not McEichel then at least a solid two way guy like Vermette, i wouldn't even mind a guy like Horcoff for the wing as a spare center. A middle 6 winger at a discount. Cap dump Nikitin and hopefully also Ference, Purcell, Scrivens, but i can live with those 3 for 1 more season.

Best case

Hall-McDavid-Trade (Sobotka)
Pouliot-Hopkins-Eberle
Lander-Roy-Yakupov
Henricks-Gordon-Klinkhammer

Pakarinen-Draisaitl-Horak
Gazdic-Yakimov-Pitlick

UFA (Sekera, Martin)-Trade
Klefbom-Schultz
Marincin-Fayne
Ference

Anderson
Scrivens/Greiss

With 6 picks in the first 3 rounds i'd like to see them make some aggressive deals to acquire a good D, a starting goalie, and even a gritty two way forward like Sobotka. If they could package some mid level assets in order to dump some poor contracts that would be even better. Even without getting McDavid we'd be in good shape here, even if a couple centers get hurt and the possibility of moving Draisaitl for a very good dman could even be explored. Didn't do the cap numbers but i can't imagine it's going to be over by much if it is at all.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - XXXX - Yakupov
Lander - Roy - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Klink

XXXX - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Marincin - Nikitin/Ference

XXX
Scrivens

Three glaring holes, we could use two top-pairing but that isn't very feasible.

Best case scenario we draft McEichel and they are ready to step which is likely. Put Roy on the Hall/Yak line while they adjust to league, which shouldn't take long, then put it back to normal. Sign one of Ehroff/Martin/Sekera for the 1LHD. And sign Niemi/Neuvrith or trade for Anderson/Lehner/Bernier and that looks a lot better to me

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle
Hall - Lander - Purcell
LD (sadly) - Roy - Yak
Wagon

Nikitin (sadly) - Fayne
Klef - Schultz
Marincin - Ference

Scrivens
2b-caliber nobody

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
I have faith the hockey gods well give up top 2 picks.. just because of the hell management puts us through.

Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
Hall-Roy-Yakupov
Lander-McEichel-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Klinkhammer
Pitlick, Draisaitl, Pakarinen, Yakimov

Klefbom-Boychuk
XXXX-Schultz
Fayne-Ference
Marincin, Nurse, Oestrle

Niemii
Scrivens

-Sign Roy 2x2 years Good spot gap for Draisaitl and Eichel. Plus if he falls behind Lander he's there for Injury
-Sign Boychuk to what ever it takes 6×5 years. Put him with Klefbom and I think that pairing would excel.
-Trade Pitts 1st + for a Responsible, Puck moving D man.
-Sign Niemii for 5x4 years or whatever it takes.

-Sign a 7th dman and a 13th forward

And I think that team competes and could be a bubble team.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
I have faith the hockey gods well give up top 2 picks.. just because of the hell management puts us through.

Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
Hall-Roy-Yakupov
Lander-McEichel-Purcell
Pitlick, Draisaitl, Pakarinen, Yakimov

Klefbom-Boychuk
XXXX-Schultz
Fayne-Ference
Marincin, Nurse, Oestrle

Niemii
Scrivens

-Sign Roy 2x2 years Good spot gap for Draisaitl and Eichel. Plus if he falls behind Lander he's there for Injury
-Sign Boychuk to what ever it takes 6×5 years. Put him with Klefbom and I think that pairing would excel.
-Trade Pitts 1st + for a Responsible, Puck moving D man.
-Sign Niemii for 5x4 years or whatever it takes.

-Sign a 7th dman and a 13th forward

And I think that team competes and could be a bubble team.

Sorry to break the news to you but Boychuk resigned in New York

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-BLANK-Purcell/BLANK
Roy-Lander-Yakupov

BLANK-BLANK
Klefbom-Fayne
Marincin-Schultz

BLANK
Scrivens

MagicOilers73

Jul 29, 2013
A #1 goalie (Craig Anderson please). Two top 4 D, or at least one and another competent bottom 4 NHL Dman. Another center, if not McEichel then at least a solid two way guy like Vermette, i wouldn't even mind a guy like Horcoff for the wing as a spare center. A middle 6 winger at a discount. Cap dump Nikitin and hopefully also Ference, Purcell, Scrivens, but i can live with those 3 for 1 more season.

Best case

Hall-McDavid-Trade (Sobotka)
Pouliot-Hopkins-Eberle
Lander-Roy-Yakupov
Henricks-Gordon-Klinkhammer

Pakarinen-Draisaitl-Horak
Gazdic-Yakimov-Pitlick

UFA (Sekera, Martin)-Trade
Klefbom-Schultz
Marincin-Fayne
Ference

Anderson
Scrivens/Greiss

With 6 picks in the first 3 rounds i'd like to see them make some aggressive deals to acquire a good D, a starting goalie, and even a gritty two way forward like Sobotka. If they could package some mid level assets in order to dump some poor contracts that would be even better. Even without getting McDavid we'd be in good shape here, even if a couple centers get hurt and the possibility of moving Draisaitl for a very good dman could even be explored. Didn't do the cap numbers but i can't imagine it's going to be over by much if it is at all.

I know I will get flamed for this, but I'd go after Bernier & Phaneuf. I know most people will say phaneuf sucks & all that, but he IS a top line D(#2) & Bernier IS a #1 G which we need. Then go after someone like Sekera or try for Yandle for the other top spot. we have the assets & picks to acquire them as well as the cap space to do it.

Under no circumstances do you even contemplate offering Draisaitl or OUR top pick to do it. I'd say start with something like Nikitin, Fasth, Marincin, 2nd(2015) & conditional 3rd(2015) on Fasth re-signing with TOR.

Last edited:

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
worst possible situation for us:

Pouliot-Hopkins-Eberle
Hall-Roy-Yakupov
Drastial-Lander-Purcell
Gadzic,Pitlick

Klefbom-Schultz
Nurse-Fayne
Ference-Nikitin
Aulie

Scrivens
Brossiot/O'Connor

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
worst possible situation for us:

Pouliot-Hopkins-Eberle
Hall-Roy-Yakupov
Drastial-Lander-Purcell
Gadzic,Pitlick

Klefbom-Schultz
Nurse-Fayne
Ference-Nikitin
Aulie

Scrivens
Brossiot/O'Connor

The forward core's not bad, and I could actually live with that (Drai's the my issue, he should start in the A)

But that defence and goaltending... MY EYES! OH GOD, MY EYES!

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
Perfect situation in my eyes would be.
Drop Nikitin and Purcell somehow.
Trade 2nd+ prosepct for Berglund and Sobotka
Sign P.Martin
sign goalie

Pouliot nuge ebs
hall sobotka yak
Berglund Lander roy (or have roy center 2nd line, sobtaka 3rd lander to wing)
wagon

Martin fayne
klefm schultz
shutdown dman -ferrence

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Perfect situation in my eyes would be.
Drop Nikitin and Purcell somehow.
Trade 2nd+ prosepct for Berglund and Sobotka
Sign P.Martin
sign goalie

Pouliot nuge ebs
hall sobotka yak
Berglund Lander roy (or have roy center 2nd line, sobtaka 3rd lander to wing)
wagon

Martin fayne
klefm schultz
shutdown dman -ferrence

Sign Zbynek Michalek

Poo-Nuge-Ebs
Hall-Roy-Yak
Sobotka-Berglund-Lander
Wagon

Martin-Michalek
Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Fayne

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
X-X-X
X-RNH-Ebs
Pou-Roy-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Pitlick

X-X
Klefbom-x
Marincin-Fayne

X
X

so only 9 pieces

That's more like it. Hall should be on the top LW... but these are the NHL pieces you have that can help you guys win next year. I'm in the east coast and have seen Fayne quite a bit with NJ. He's a good defenseman when he's partnered with a guy that can move the puck out. Under those conditions he's a legit top 4 that gives you mistake free minutes.

Guys like Niemi, Oduya, and any other free agent top 4 D should be the biggest priority.

If Justin Shultz can bring back a nice piece or two, you make that trade. He'll be in demand because teams need offensive RHD, contenders need those guys for the PP. They can shelter him on the 3rd pair.

CLB is a good dance partner, they have a lot of 2-way forwards that can chip in 15-20 goals without PP time.

If the Oilers get 3 top 4 defensemen, a legit no 1 goalie and a very good back up. Then an additional center is enough to make a wild card spot next year. Getting a couple of more forwards could push them to the 4-5 slot.

If you look at all of the playoff teams right now, they all have cheap contracts from their late round picks or signings that contribute in a role.

Look at the Rangers, they have Fast who was a 6th rounder, very good PKer and 4th line winger that can play 3rd line minutes no problem. Doesn't make mistakes. Is very fast. Hagelin, a 7th rounder that's the same way except he can move from the 3rd line to the 2nd.

CGY has Jooris and a bunch of other no names that fill roles.

Oilers have some, and finally a decent coach and not a radio analytics guy. Can't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, but the wheels have moved forward quite a bit in 4 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad