Line Combos: Next year , whats missing ?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
to answer the OP:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-____-Yakupov
_____-Lander-Purcell
Klinkhammer-Gordon-Hendricks

_____-_____
Kleffbom-Schultz
Marincin/Ference-Fayne

_______
Scrivens

So #2C, #3LW, #1D, #2D, #1G

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - Roy - Yakupov
XXXX - Lander - Purcell
Klink - Gordon - Hendricks

XXXX - XXXX
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference - Fayne

XXXX
Scrivens

Our focus should solely be on defence and goaltending this offseason. We need an offseason similar to what the Islanders did this past offseason. Acquired Leddy, Boychuck, Grabo, Kulemin and Halak in one offseason. We don't need to acquire a Grabo but it sure would be nice landing 2 legit top 4 men, a starting goalie and a good third line winger.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I'd have next year looking like this:

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Roy-Yakupov
xxx-Lander-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Klinkhammer
xxx, Gazdic

xxx-xxx
Klefbom-Schultz
Marincin-Fayne
Ference

xxx
Scrivens

So just a starting goalie, 2 top pairing defenceman, a third line LW and a veteran center to be the 13th forward. #craigsonit

I'm sure MacT will get most of that for next season.....:laugh::laugh: Wooo weeee. Couldn't say that one with a straight face.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - Roy - Yakupov
XXXX - Lander - Purcell
Klink - Gordon - Hendricks

XXXX - XXXX
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference - Fayne

XXXX
Scrivens

Our focus should solely be on defence and goaltending this offseason. We need an offseason similar to what the Islanders did this past offseason. Acquired Leddy, Boychuck, Grabo, Kulemin and Halak in one offseason. We don't need to acquire a Grabo but it sure would be nice landing 2 legit top 4 men, a starting goalie and a good third line winger.

They're not going to be able to get two top pairing D..at least, not in one season. I suspect they'll find one, plus a goalie and perhaps a 3rd line forward..along with signing Roy.
If MacT gets really lucky, someone will come available that wasn't expected and he can buy out Nikitin and bring in another D.
I doubt it..
Although they should focus on G/D, I don't think they should ignore the bottom 6 forwards if there are better options...Hamilton, Pak, Fraser, Gazdic, etc, aren't legitimate NHL players on a regular basis so we need a few real NHL players in the stable for injuries, players struggling, etc.

So:

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Roy-Yakupov
UFA-Lander-Purcell/UFA
Klink-Gordon-Hendricks
UFA?Trade

UFA/Trade-Fayne
Klef-Schultz
Nikitin-Ference
Marincin

sign/trade goalie
Scrivens

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
They're not going to be able to get two top pairing D..at least, not in one season. I suspect they'll find one, plus a goalie and perhaps a 3rd line forward..along with signing Roy.

I'd be happy if we could find one top pairing guy. I'd be looking into trying to get Seabrook. Him and Keith hasn't been the dynamic duo this year as they've been past seasons and they really need to shed some salary. They have a ton of young D coming up as well with Pokka, Johns, TVR all pushing for regular spots while Rundblad might be able to take on a bigger role...so maybe, just maybe, Seabrook could be had. If we could find a starting goalie and maybe an upgrade on Roy I think we'd be contending for a playoff spot. This team has shown they're not all that bad under Nelson. A few key additions could go a long way, particularly on D.

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Sobotka-Yak
Purcell-Lander-Pitlick
Hendricks-Gordon-Klink

Nurse-Seabrook
Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Nikitin

Bernier/Niemi
Scrivens

I think that team could be mildly successful. If we could get an upgrade on Pitlick like, lets say, Justin Williams or Joel Ward that'd be even better. We might have to buyout Nikitin to get it to work under the cap. Much hinges of course on how well Nurse could play in this scenario but I think he could play well in the NHL next season if he's paired with a veteran partner like Seabrook, similar to how Jonas Brodin just went straight into the NHL and looked amazing together with Suter.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I agree on Seabrook on nicholsonhockey there is some quotes from Friedman about a lot of GM's thinking seabrook becomes available and will test free agency and he specifically mentioned Edmonton as an option that would give him big money to play here.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I'd have next year looking like this:

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Roy-Yakupov
xxx-Lander-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Klinkhammer
xxx, Gazdic

xxx-xxx
Klefbom-Schultz
Marincin-Fayne
Ference

xxx
Scrivens

So just a starting goalie, 2 top pairing defenceman, a third line LW and a veteran center to be the 13th forward. #craigsonit

Exactly how I see it. Although Gazdic would be gone and I'm willing to bet both Ference and Nikitin have spots, unfortunately

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Nurse will make the team out of camp, After watching him in the WJHC I am not sure how any one doesnt' think so. Guy is so NHL ready.

There's a huge difference between the WJC and the NHL. I'm tired of rushing prospects, Nurse starts in the AHL and gets called up after we tell Nikitin to GTFO.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The only important things are any upgrades to the top two Dmens, a goalie and a top 2 line forward. All the rest is totally moot to me and makes zero difference. this team has dicked around with 3rd nd 4th liners, 4,5,6, dmen and backup goalies forever.

There will be no tangible improvement until we make a major upgrade or two and unfortunately this front office has traded off a few of our only moveable assets for draft picks.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
5 missing pieces

-1 LEGIT starting goalie-priority #1....should trade for Craig Anderson, MacT most likely tries to get Martin Jones. Yup, another "maybe"

-two top 4 d-men...would love to add Ehrhoff, Sekera or Green...most likely overpay to get Sekera and that's it. Maybe teams have cap casualties which would benefit us

-2nd line center...Roy is the easy choice and I'd be ok with it although I'd love to upgrade on Roy

-speedy winger to play in the top 6...low priority but still would be nice to replace Perron's goals and minutes

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-Trade/Roy-Yakupov
UFA-Lander-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Klink
Gazdic

xxx-xxx
Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Fayne
Nikitin

xxx
Scrivens

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
There's a huge difference between the WJC and the NHL. I'm tired of rushing prospects, Nurse starts in the AHL and gets called up after we tell Nikitin to GTFO.

This is the Oilers. Nurse is on the first line and we dont sign Roy because Draisaitl is definitely ready now. Craigs on it:thumbu:

McDeathbyCheerios*

5 missing pieces

-1 LEGIT starting goalie-priority #1....should trade for Craig Anderson, MacT most likely tries to get Martin Jones. Yup, another "maybe"

-two top 4 d-men...would love to add Ehrhoff, Sekera or Green...most likely overpay to get Sekera and that's it. Maybe teams have cap casualties which would benefit us

-2nd line center...Roy is the easy choice and I'd be ok with it although I'd love to upgrade on Roy

-speedy winger to play in the top 6...low priority but still would be nice to replace Perron's goals and minutes

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-Trade/Roy-Yakupov
UFA-Lander-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Klink
Gazdic

xxx-xxx
Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Fayne
Nikitin

xxx
Scrivens
Yeah I think our top 6 is set for next year and set soon once Draisaitl or McEichel are ready.

Man if we can swing like Marincin, Pitts 1st, Montreal 2nd for Seabrook and then say sign... Green or Sekera.

Buyout or Trade Nikitin

Sign Roy, Stewart and Niemi

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Roy - Yakupov
Purcell - Lander - Stewart
Hendricks - Gordon - Klinkhammer

Sekera - Seabrook
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference - Fayne

Niemi
Scrivens

With that I could see us being a bubble team

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
A top 6 center, couple top 9 wingers. Two top pairing defenceman. 1 or 2 more second pairing dmen. A #1 goalie. New GM, president.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
what do you guys think about joel ward on the 3rd line ?

I like it. I was also thinking that he'd look great with Purcell and Lander.

I guess it would be up to him. He's in his 30s now and hasn't won a cup yet. I'm sure a contender would take him on as a 3rd or 4th liner.

I just look at it from his perspective and would rather see if I could stay in Washington or land with another contender.

When penciling next year's lineup, the McDavid factor is huge. I just have a feeling that the Sabres are going to lose the draft lottery. Just seems like nothing good ever happens to Buffalo. CMac's going to Edmonton, Phoenix, or Carolina. I'd bet money on that...

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
We'll be getting another top, young forward at the draft this year. Well, probably, unless we draft Hanifin. If the former is the case, we really, really need to move something from the position of strength and acquire a top D man. This team will never do anything without one. We need a top D man to push everyone we have down to where they should be on the depth chart, to help shelter our incoming D prospects, and to help get the most out of our forwards who don't get more than two good breakout passes in a game.

RNH isn't going anywhere, so management needs to figure out how to package for a top pairing D man.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
We can stop, MacT won't. Nurse is the apple of his eye to refurbish his dear Justin Schultz

MacT may make bad bets and doesn't evaluate talent properly, but when he outright stated that he's realized (after finally sending Drai down) you can't rush guys, and has stated he's comfortable with Klefbom and Schultz, Ference and Nikitin and Fayne...even if Marincin is the red-headed step child, he still slots in if MacT can't convince a free agent to come here...

If he still brings Nurse in, after all that, then I finally join those who have simply given up hope.

Even for him though, it doesn't really make sense to rush guys next year. If we were moving into the new arena, then I'd agree. Plus, he didn't hire Bob Green, Nicholson did, and then they move the affiliate to Bakersfield, help create a new division...there'd be a ton of pressure on MacT to let Green do his job, and develop their blue chip prospects properly.

For MacT, he'd have no incentive to rush guys next season. There's no incentive for him to **** on the system being built behind him. The year after, he's all-in. Book it. Nurse, Draisaitl, Hanifin/Eichel/Strome won't be ushered in next season... however, even if one or more of them isn't 100% ready for '16/17 they're in.

Luckily for us, we get shielded from his bad decision making due to there being a void year between now and new arena. I'm not saying MacT is too smart to screw it up...I'm saying, luckily he won't have to.

Another reason why I'd be perfectly ok with trading our '16 1st...because then he won't rush that pick right into the new arena.

To keep my sanity, I have to at least believe that terrible GMs still base their decisions off of incentive. And the incentive just isn't there to gamble on next season.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Scrivens is not as bad as his numbers suggest but his rebound control and ability to track the play are a bit weak.

I think we need a better #1 goalie.

Our defence is our biggest weakness by far.

Klefbom and Marincin both look years away from being impact players. Nurse should play most / all of next year in the minors.

Schultz no longer has Norris level potential. Nikita was extremely disappointing. Ferrence fades as the season rolls on.

No idea what the Oilers can even do to improve next year. My big hope was boychuck and thats gone.

Uscwap.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Please, please stop penciling Nurse into the lineup next season LET ALONE the top pairing... come on, man...

I personally would like for him to stay down in AHL for most of the season to develop his offensive game but I also think he'd be able to swim if he's paired with a legit D partner like Seabrook, or possibly Fayne. He's a top talent, he'll adjust accordingly. Look at Brodin with Suter and Ekblad with Campbell or Trouba with whoever he was playing with (Stuart?). These guys can handle the load as long as they have a steady D-partner at their side. If we can find a guy like that I don't see any problem with it. On the other hand if the idea is to play him with Ference or Nikitin I'd much rather have him in the AHL. A guy that young shouldn't have to clean up the mess from their partner.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
I'm calling my idea the "1G1D" concept.

Draft one of Eichel or Strome. Return them to junior of college. Acquire a 1D and a 1G. Should be easiest if the cap comes down.

1G - Sign Niemi or Neuvirth - costs no assets or picks, maybe a $5m x 4 deal. But go to a UFA, do not waste picks. OK to overpay. We're not against the cap.

1D - Trade with one of CHI, NYR, TBL who have to shed salary, or NSH who have a self inposed cap. Spend a 1st rd pick or two if need be. But only picks and prospects go.

Nurse comes in and is in the Calder conversation. Lander and Roy stabilize the C position while Drai stews in the AHL. Add a UFA or two around the edges, good to go.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
It would be better to simply not improve next season than make a bunch of terrible gambles that hurt us for a couple years after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad