News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2021-22 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
I'm not comfortable speculating, but it sounds like something is happening in his personal life and he's shifted his priority.

It does make me wonder about the assistants who won't be back though. Curious where they're going.
It sucks to do say speculating but after the 1st of January you could tell Barry was shaken by that. It's emotional stuff that can impact you for the worst. I just hope Barry is okay and can coach again one day.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Good for Trotz, doing what he’s gotta do. Can’t fault a guy for that.

And honestly if my employer told me I was fired, but they were still going to pay my salary for the next year, I wouldn’t be all that eager to get back to work either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike C

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I'm not comfortable speculating, but it sounds like something is happening in his personal life and he's shifted his priority.

It does make me wonder about the assistants who won't be back though. Curious where they're going.
Don’t forget what a grind those jobs are. The chance to have a paid year off and recharge - and he’ll still be a desired commodity, was maybe too good to pass up.

Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

I took heed of his observation about time being in short supply. I think he has roots in Ukraine. Maybe he just wants to hang out with the family and hold what's dear without being married to his job.

I relate, being almost 63 with a kid turning 14. Goes like a blur. I retired a year early and never looked back. Seems like Barry has his priorities straight no matter what's happening in his private life

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

FWIH, Trotz's 79 year old father needs some form of elder care.

It's a difficult thing when a spouse passes away and the surviving spouse has health issues. Suddenly the burden left to the family increases tenfold. Things like not being able to drive, shop for yourself, take care of a house, etc when the children don't live close by are real problems.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Let’s wait and see what happens with the rest of the openings. So far all we have is speculation. I thought Vegas was the best job out there.

So we have confirmation that Philadelphia wanted Trotz and was going to pay through the nose to get him, but he passed, and that Winnipeg wanted him badly until he passed on that too. Trotz also mentioned in his comments that he spoke to a number of teams. Sounds to me like he was in demand, do you agree now that he's made the decision to step away instead of coach?

Reactions: YearlyLottery

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So we have confirmation that Philadelphia wanted Trotz and was going to pay through the nose to get him, but he passed, and that Winnipeg wanted him badly until he passed on that too. Trotz also mentioned in his comments that he spoke to a number of teams. Sounds to me like he was in demand, do you agree now that he's made the decision to step away instead of coach?
I do. I think Trotz went on interviews and during the process decided that his heart and his mind wasn't into coaching this season, so he decided to sit this year out and tend to his family.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
FWIH, Trotz's 79 year old father needs some form of elder care.

It's a difficult thing when a spouse passes away and the surviving spouse has health issues. Suddenly the burden left to the family increases tenfold. Things like not being able to drive, shop for yourself, take care of a house, etc when the children don't live close by are real problems.

A lot of people here (yet again) owe Lou an apology. I wish Trotz the best when he ultimately goes to coach Nashville again next season. He would still be coach here if he wasn't going through what is likely one of the more difficult times in his life.

Put it in perspective guys. He is in his 60's getting paid millions of dollars this year, and wants to spend more time with family.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
A lot of people here (yet again) owe Lou an apology. I wish Trotz the best when he ultimately goes to coach Nashville again next season. He would still be coach here if he wasn't going through what is likely one of the more difficult times in his life.

Put it in perspective guys. He is in his 60's getting paid millions of dollars this year, and wants to spend more time with family.
Barry and I have those things in common, oh sorry, i don't have the millions. Hahaha

I seem to recall we talked one time about you moving to the Carolinas?

Did you ever make it down here?

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Yes, but that was never my point. My point was that Trotz was not the right fit for every team. He needs to coach a veteran team that can play a defensive system. And a team that is willing to pay him well. At the time the Isles were a good fit. I still think there were only a couple of openings where Trotz made sense. For all we know Trotz may have made a few demands regarding roster composition to each team that he interviewed with and if the team wasn’t willing to meet those demands he declined. Maybe Trotz himself didn’t see a good fit and decided to take a year off to wait for the right fit.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Yes, but that was never my point. My point was that Trotz was not the right fit for every team. He needs to coach a veteran team that can play a defensive system. And a team that is willing to pay him well. At the time the Isles were a good fit. I still think there were only a couple of openings where Trotz made sense. For all we know Trotz may have made a few demands regarding roster composition to each team that he interviewed with and if the team wasn’t willing to meet those demands he declined. Maybe Trotz himself didn’t see a good fit and decided to take a year off to wait for the right fit.
I tend to agree with you on that

I also think Barry being dismissed here may have little or nothing to do with his taking a break. Lou might have fired him anyway based on other factors

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Anybody remember Rosanna Rosannadanna? "Never mind." That's pretty much all the indignant posting about Lou firing Trotz.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

If that's what you meant that's fine, but that wasn't what you said in your post that started our conversation, you raised the question of whether or not he was in demand.

You'll get no disagreement about looking for a good fit from me, I think most coaches would prefer that.

I tend to agree with you on that

I also think Barry being dismissed here may have little or nothing to do with his taking a break. Lou might have fired him anyway based on other factors

While I don't agree, it does give more validity to the removal because obviously there is something going on in his personal life that is taking focus away from coaching. Whether Lamoriello was explicitly told or figured it out on his own doesn't really matter, he was correct that Trotz couldn't do his duty without some sort of distraction going into next season.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
If that's what you meant that's fine, but that wasn't what you said in your post that started our conversation, you raised the question of whether or not he was in demand.

You'll get no disagreement about looking for a good fit from me, I think most coaches would prefer that.

While I don't agree, it does give more validity to the removal because obviously there is something going on in his personal life that is taking focus away from coaching. Whether Lamoriello was explicitly told or figured it out on his own doesn't really matter, he was correct that Trotz couldn't do his duty without some sort of distraction going into next season.
Gotta say, I'm impressed how they keep the details and personal stuff close to the vest. I like the newsmill and gossip but deep down, it's none of my business. I wish Barry well and hope he finds some joy and peace in this season of his life

Matter of fact, I hope we all find it!

Reactions: Big L

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Gotta say, I'm impressed how they keep the details and personal stuff close to the vest. I like the newsmill and gossip but deep down, it's none of my business. I wish Barry well and hope he finds some joy and peace in this season of his life

Matter of fact, I hope we all find it!

I'm a big fan of that approach, and while it sucks for fans who are craving information, it helps build and keep relationships.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Also tells others interacting with both parties that they can be trusted and sets a mighty example for those watching

The people who conduct themselves with such honor, respect, class and dignity are those I look up to and strive (while failing miserably at times) to be like and what I hope for my son to become

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Good memory.

Actually making the drive down with the fiancé Friday at 2 AM. Very excited!
Awesome!.....heading down for good or just a visit?....which part of Carolinas are you heading to?

I'm heading to Savannah Saturday morning then to St. Augustine the next day for the week

Let me know if you need anything!

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
How are the Leafs #2 cup favorite next year? Aren’t/shouldn’t they be in cap hell, with 40% of their cap tied up in 4 players?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Awesome!.....heading down for good or just a visit?....which part of Carolinas are you heading to?

I'm heading to Savannah Saturday morning then to St. Augustine the next day for the week

Let me know if you need anything!

We are heading down for good. Got the lease on the apartment and everything ready to go while looking to build a house down there. Going to Greenville, SC (well technically Simpsonville). First summer as a teacher I can actually afford to not work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad