News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2017-18 Edition PART I

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The article I read on NHL.com said that Golden Knights are actually retaining salary. The whole thing is strange. Why did the Golden Knights even get involved? They got crap from the deal and gave up a draft pick and retained salary on Brassard. Unless the article has an error.....i'm completely clueless on how this benefited Vegas. Heck, maybe i'm in no position to judge as I thought McPhee was trolling Vegas with the way he built the team. I was wrong....

To OTT: Cole (PIT), Gustavsson (PIT), PIT 1st 2018 (PIT), PIT 3rd 2019 (PIT)
To VGK: Reaves (PIT), VAN 4th 2018 (PIT)
TO PIT: Brassard (OTT; VGK retaining 40%), Lindberg (VGK), Dunn (OTT), OTT 3rd 2018 (OTT)

So Vegas only gives up Lindberg while retaining salary on Brassard, so they didn't give up a draft pick. They gained Reaves and Vancouver's 4th via Pittsburgh, so they retained salary for a pick and traded Lindberg for Reaves essentially. I'm wondering if Reaves can be flipped now.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
To OTT: Cole (PIT), Gustavsson (PIT), PIT 1st 2018 (PIT), PIT 3rd 2019 (PIT)
To VGK: Reaves (PIT), VAN 4th 2018 (PIT)
TO PIT: Brassard (OTT; VGK retaining 40%), Lindberg (VGK), Dunn (OTT), OTT 3rd 2018 (OTT)

So Vegas only gives up Lindberg while retaining salary on Brassard, so they didn't give up a draft pick. They gained Reaves and Vancouver's 4th via Pittsburgh, so they retained salary for a pick and traded Lindberg for Reaves essentially. I'm wondering if Reaves can be flipped now.

You worded that oddly. They "only" give up Lindberg and retain salary on Brassard, all for Ryan Reaves. Isn't he the goon? Maybe I'm mistaken but that hardly seems like a guy you trade for Brassard and are also forced to retain salary on. Seems absolutely mind boggling to me that GK didn't get at least some lower draft pick than a 4th, lol. Am I the only one seeing this differently?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You worded that oddly. They "only" give up Lindberg and retain salary on Brassard, all for Ryan Reaves. Isn't he the goon? Maybe I'm mistaken but that hardly seems like a guy you trade for Brassard and are also forced to retain salary on. Seems absolutely mind boggling to me that GK didn't get at least some lower draft pick than a 4th, lol. Am I the only one seeing this differently?
I think this was an okie doke betweek VGK and Pittsburgh for Fleury.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Rutherford was quoted as saying Vegas pushed hard for Reaves and wouldn't be part of the three-way if he wasn't involved. So apparently McPhee wanted Reaves.

There's also speculation that McPhee also did it just to make sure Brassard stayed in the East and didn't end up going to one of Vegas' West rivals, like Winnipeg, St. Louis, etc.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Rutherford was quoted as saying Vegas pushed hard for Reaves and wouldn't be part of the three-way if he wasn't involved. So apparently McPhee wanted Reaves.

There's also speculation that McPhee also did it just to make sure Brassard stayed in the East and didn't end up going to one of Vegas' West rivals, like Winnipeg, St. Louis, etc.
Shrewd.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Never understood that line of thinking. You have to play somebody in the east eventually if you live that long. Sure the chances are slimmer, but who is to say they ever would have seen them at all. I'm not a gm though so i'll take this for what it's worth. Just feels like McPhee is a Pens fan lol

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Never understood that line of thinking. You have to play somebody in the east eventually if you live that long. Sure the chances are slimmer, but who is to say they ever would have seen them at all. I'm not a gm though so i'll take this for what it's worth. Just feels like McPhee is a Pens fan lol

It kind of makes sense.

One, you're (Vegas) not battling the Pens for a playoff spot. So them adding Brassard and doing well because of it has zero effect on your place in the West standings. Contrast that to if Brassard went to a team the GKnights are directly competing with for a playoff spot/seeding, and suddenly it makes it more appealing to make sure he's not in the West.

Two, the very first time you'd meet the Pens is the Cup finals. So essentially, ensuring that Brassard went to the Pens rather than a West rival means you don't have to deal with the consequences until the very last round of the playoffs rather than the rest of the season and first three rounds.

That's also not touching on the fact McPhee seems to want Reaves (and will likely extend him) and got a 4th round pick out of it for basically retaining $2 million per year. Since Vegas likely isn't going to be right against the cap these first two years, I don't think that's a big deal for them.

scott99

May 13, 2005

That’s a steal for the Rangers. Does Chiarelli still work for the Bruins ? My god, a player who barely has more points than Brock Nelson, brings back all of that ? That was a huge highway robbery by the Rangers.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That’s a steal for the Rangers. Does Chiarelli still work for the Bruins ? My god, a player who barely has more points than Brock Nelson, brings back all of that ? That was a huge highway robbery by the Rangers.
That’s the first thing I thought of. Did Chiarelli get fleeced again? Actually this was an overpay by the Bruins and an unnecessary move just to get some of Beleskey’s contract relieved.:laugh:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

In the end it's a bunch of crap and a late first. Yes Ryan Spooner is decent but disappears when it gets physical and isn't good on the defensive side of the puck.

Reactions: PWJunior

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Can’t wait to see Crappy’s Panthers come surging on at the end of the year and grab a wildcard slot from us.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I suppose now with Stephen Gionta healthy and playing a regular shift in the AHL Garf is primed and ready to call him up.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
It kind of makes sense.

One, you're (Vegas) not battling the Pens for a playoff spot. So them adding Brassard and doing well because of it has zero effect on your place in the West standings. Contrast that to if Brassard went to a team the GKnights are directly competing with for a playoff spot/seeding, and suddenly it makes it more appealing to make sure he's not in the West.

Two, the very first time you'd meet the Pens is the Cup finals. So essentially, ensuring that Brassard went to the Pens rather than a West rival means you don't have to deal with the consequences until the very last round of the playoffs rather than the rest of the season and first three rounds.

That's also not touching on the fact McPhee seems to want Reaves (and will likely extend him) and got a 4th round pick out of it for basically retaining $2 million per year. Since Vegas likely isn't going to be right against the cap these first two years, I don't think that's a big deal for them.

Except the Knights aren't competing with anyone for a playoff spot in reality. They'd have to fall off a cliff to not make it. The only thing that makes sense is being afraid to face a team in the West that would have Brassard in the playoffs. Still, not a given. I guess I don't understand why they'd be bending over backwards to get Reeves either. They seemed pretty physical the two time the Isles played them. He doesn't seem like an integral piece, but if you like a guy I guess why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad