News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Still think Nashville assistant GM Paul Fenton is more likely for Minnesota. Current Minnesota owner Craig Leipold used to own the Predators, so he's more than likely very familiar with Fenton.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Lou gets involved if he was just going to be a figurehead. It's a lot easier for a new guy to see what is wrong with an organization where he doesn't know anyone versus an organization where he does know everyone - loyalty undoubtedly cost Lou in his later years here. So yeah, Lou was implementing Shanahan's vision for the franchise; I don't think he gets hired if he tells Shanahan that his plan is to sign a bunch of free agents and try to compete hard right away.
I don’t think he was a complete figurehead. He obviously had some say, more than he would have here. Or else he obviously wouldn’t have taken the job and just stayed here. They did adopt some of his policies, like no media traveling with the team on the charter. They even had the no facial hair early on when he got there. Not sure if that lasted.

I don’t even think they had the twitter ban, they also seemed to be more open as far as behind the scenes stuff in the locker room. I think they even showed inside the Leafs locker room before the stadium game with Babcock talking, whereas they wouldn’t allow that in our game at Yankee Stadium against the Rangers. You just saw AV address them and they showed the hallway on our side.

And I do think he was behind some of the signings. The Matt Martin signing really reeks of something Lou would do. That Plekanec trade also reeked of Lou, aside from the fact that it was made with perhaps their biggest rival. I think he definitely had some say there, but I firmly believe when he got there the plan was explained to him from Shanahan. Even when it came out afterward that they agreed to him in the beginning only being GM for 3 years. I could have never imagined Lou agreeing to something like that.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
And this is different from Garth how? I keep having to say this but Lou is an upgrade over Snow lol. Not to mention if JT was looking at recent history Lou made the playoffs the last two years. Hockey players don’t look at a GM’s record through the same microscope as fans do, unless it’s their own GM.

its a marginal "upgrade" at this point in lou's career and me personally i dont even think lou is an upgrade over garth. if your JT you want to hitch your 8 years to that? lou will be what 83 by the time his contract his up? i sure hope he made the playoffs with the leafs they only have one of the best young group of forwards in the nhl. they play in a semi weak division to boot

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Come on people, we all know Garth isn't going anywhere. He was given a lifetime contract by Wang and I doubt the Isles want to pay yet another player/coach/GM to not even be with the team. Aren't they still paying Yashin and DiPietro until the sun explodes?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Come on people, we all know Garth isn't going anywhere. He was given a lifetime contract by Wang and I doubt the Isles want to pay yet another player/coach/GM to not even be with the team. Aren't they still paying Yashin and DiPietro until the sun explodes?

It's a matter of whether they kick him upstairs or not. Obviously they won't/can't fire him outright but it looks like they want to at least get someone in as a GM to replace him. Much like (ironically) Lou was kicked upstairs by us when ownership brought in Shero.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Even if Fitz isn't hired for the Minnesota job, it's only a matter of time until he gets a GM position. He's very well liked and respected around the league and this isn't his first interview for a head GM position.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Very interesting. I wonder who it could be.

Take it with a grain of salt, but the main board sleuths seem to think it's Olli Juolevi.

Reminds me of my freshman year of college way back when. It was the first time most of us had high speed internet and my buddy would spend all night playing to the detriment of his schoolwork.

I joke at times with modern gaming that I would have been in trouble had I been in college now. It'd be interesting if it's kinda standard for teams to ask about this sort of stuff during a prospect interview.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Take it with a grain of salt, but the main board sleuths seem to think it's Olli Juolevi.

Reminds me of my freshman year of college way back when. It was the first time most of us had high speed internet and my buddy would spend all night playing to the detriment of his schoolwork.

I joke at times with modern gaming that I would have been in trouble had I been in college now. It'd be interesting if it's kinda standard for teams to ask about this sort of stuff during a prospect interview.

Yeah I thought of Juolevi when I first heard about it. Or Max jones based on what I have heard about is level of effort.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
my god, did anyone read mike sullivan’s letter to pittsburgh? do we really need pretentious rambling letters when a team is eliminated from the playoffs?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
its a marginal "upgrade" at this point in lou's career and me personally i dont even think lou is an upgrade over garth. if your JT you want to hitch your 8 years to that? lou will be what 83 by the time his contract his up? i sure hope he made the playoffs with the leafs they only have one of the best young group of forwards in the nhl. they play in a semi weak division to boot
Garth Snow is a historically bad GM. If Lou had a stroke and ended up a vegetable he would still be a far better GM than Garth.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Garth Snow is a historically bad GM. If Lou had a stroke and ended up a vegetable he would still be a far better GM than Garth.
I've really been slamming Lou around here and really think Lou circa 2018 sucks (Lou post 2004 was average and Lou post 2012 kind of sucked), but people are really overreaching with comparing even current Lou to Garth.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Eh Pittsburgh deserved a fan sendoff after two Cups. In some cases it's appropriate.

The letter's kind of corny but who cares, it was just a two-paragraph platitude.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So it looks like Hossa is officially retiring in Chicago. Does that give them any recapture penalties compared to him staying on LTIR?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lou in any state is better then snow.
I disagree not even a little bit.

That doesn't mean that I think Lou is still good, just that Snow is very bad.

The resume is just not good enough for how long Snow has been there. He's one of the longest tenured GM's in the league, has won just one playoff series in that time, missed the playoffs more than made them in that time. Signed DiPietro to a really long contract, that already looked bad before injuries reduced him to useless. Made a couple good trades in training camp of 2014, then robbed Chiarelli (the worst GM in the league) a couple times, that's the only good I can think of that he's done.

He didn't even can Dead Weight after this past season.

Reactions: sabremike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce