News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What's Jim Craig up to these days? He's almost surely in better shape than Darling. Darling is in a shape but unfortunately that shape is round.
Darling really looked like his conditioning wasn't where it needed to be. He was super slow when going post to post and most big goalies (big as in tall) are, but he was on another level. His face is very chubby and full looking, but that might just be his face shape. He's listed at 232 pounds, which is big, but it's not that big for a guy that's 6 foot 6. He may have a high body fat percentage though. I'm not saying that his weight was the reason for his terrible year, as he's been that weight in other seasons and played well, but his post to post (non) speed was hilarious to watch last year. Only Ray Emery's was definitely worse and everyone knows he had bad hips.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
if lou went to the isles i think tavares takes a longer look at resigning there. guy has to know how badly he managed things over here and you really want to spend x amount of your 8 year deal playing for him?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
if lou went to the isles i think tavares takes a longer look at resigning there. guy has to know how badly he managed things over here and you really want to spend x amount of your 8 year deal playing for him?

And this is different from Garth how? I keep having to say this but Lou is an upgrade over Snow lol. Not to mention if JT was looking at recent history Lou made the playoffs the last two years. Hockey players don’t look at a GM’s record through the same microscope as fans do, unless it’s their own GM.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Lou in an advisory role to the Islanders is one thing. I wouldn’t think he was soiling his legacy by doing that. Lou as the GM or president of the Islanders is another thing.

He’d become a complete joke at that point if it happens. An embarrassment to what he was. It would be like if Marty asked to be waived, traded or have his contract terminated by the Blues back in 2015 whenever Elliott came back from injury and decided to go play for the Islanders or some other team. Lou also isn’t that good of a GM anymore. He was mainly a figurehead for Shanny the last 3 years or he wouldn’t have agreed to just coming along for 3 years and bowing out.

Lou getting a GM job with the Islanders will be reminding me of that retirement savings commercial with the tune of Day-O.

“Just got a job as the GM in Brooklyn! You’re 75 man it’s time to go home!”

It may be getting into Pacino "Jack and Jill" territory, but he's earned the right to do what he wants with his days.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can people stop saying ''Lou has earned the right to do this, Lou has earned the right to do that'' as if anyone has actually claimed that he has no rights and that we're going to physically attack him if he decides to become the GM of the Islanders?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Can people stop saying ''Lou has earned the right to do this, Lou has earned the right to do that'' as if anyone has actually claimed that he has no rights and that we're going to physically attack him if he decides to become the GM of the Islanders?

But that's kind of the point. You don't own him and neither do Devils fans and neither does his legacy. I wouldn't trust my franchise with him and he's got some blind spots, but given that teams only seem to have a set of about 50 guys that are either currently general managers or might be considred to be them, he's probably still one of the 31 best.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
But that's kind of the point. You don't own him and neither do Devils fans and neither does his legacy. I wouldn't trust my franchise with him and he's got some blind spots, but given that teams only seem to have a set of about 50 guys that are either currently general managers or might be considred to be them, he's probably still one of the 31 best.
I think it’s fair to say he’s better than some currently employed GM’s. Garth Snow being one of them.

But I think his time has passed. It might be a good thing for us if he takes over a division rival, although they already have arguably the worst GM in the league.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think it’s fair to say he’s better than some currently employed GM’s. Garth Snow being one of them.

But I think his time has passed. It might be a good thing for us if he takes over a division rival, although they already have arguably the worst GM in the league.

I don't think Snow is that bad; though he's made some large blunders, he's also made some great trades. I think Lou was really good in his role in Toronto where he came into the organization and got rid of some dead weight and went through the tank year - getting rid of Phaneuf's salary was gigantic. If Tavares walks, the Islanders will probably need to clean house - Lou's a good guy for that. He can't rely on former Devils because there's so few of them around the league.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Snow is that bad; though he's made some large blunders, he's also made some great trades. I think Lou was really good in his role in Toronto where he came into the organization and got rid of some dead weight and went through the tank year - getting rid of Phaneuf's salary was gigantic. If Tavares walks, the Islanders will probably need to clean house - Lou's a good guy for that. He can't rely on former Devils because there's so few of them around the league.
I’ve always thought that Lou was merely a figurehead there and just following the Shanahan plan. What Toronto did when Lou got there (and it started the year before) was the antithesis of how he ran things here and what he refused to do in the end here, which inevitably cost him his job here.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Apologize if this was posted, been out of the country the last few days.

I obviously take this with a grain of salt, as I sincerely doubt he's actually available, but I would love to find a way to pry Slavin out somehow. Doubt they trade him in division, or at all for that matter, but wouldn't be shocked if their owner doesn't realize the talent he possesses.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
They're an incredibly odd team because it seems they have plenty of young pieces and are on the cusp if it weren't for their god awful goaltending situation.

I feel like even getting one of their younger centers if they came cheap (Lindholm or Rask) would be a solid acquisition.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

I obviously take this with a grain of salt, as I sincerely doubt he's actually available, but I would love to find a way to pry Slavin out somehow. Doubt they trade him in division, or at all for that matter, but wouldn't be shocked if their owner doesn't realize the talent he possesses.

Aho is very good for such a young player

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I’ve always thought that Lou was merely a figurehead there and just following the Shanahan plan. What Toronto did when Lou got there (and it started the year before) was the antithesis of how he ran things here and what he refused to do in the end here, which inevitably cost him his job here.

I don't think Lou gets involved if he was just going to be a figurehead. It's a lot easier for a new guy to see what is wrong with an organization where he doesn't know anyone versus an organization where he does know everyone - loyalty undoubtedly cost Lou in his later years here. So yeah, Lou was implementing Shanahan's vision for the franchise; I don't think he gets hired if he tells Shanahan that his plan is to sign a bunch of free agents and try to compete hard right away.

Reactions: nugg

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009

I'm sure Shero will be all over Hanifin or Slavin if they're available. I prefer Slavin and maybe their owner freaks out when he sees he starts making $5.3 million next year :laugh:

Reactions: nugg and Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad