News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Give me Garth and barzal eberle boychuck bailey Beauvoir. The robbery of trading hamonic.

Lou. Brummer havalt ryder clowe malakov mcgillis ponakovsky the second time. Sullivan the second time

Sure both had their ups and downs but no question lou sucks and has sucked for a long time.

Wow - this might be the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The fact that Lou didn't walk in there and fire both Garth and Dead Weight on arrival makes me very happy.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
your right and firing julien with 10 games left in the season first in the division and conference i think was smart? not firing maclean sooner? even hiring maclean to begin with. this remember is from a hall of fame gm.

It was - Julien lost the team. Same with Ftorek with only weeks left in the season.

He fired MacLean after only 31 games. He replaced him with Jacques Lemaire.. You have a problem with this?

Since 2006:
Traded for Schneider
Drafted Henrique, Santini, Wood, Severson, Larsson (into Hall), Coleman
Signed Jagr, Andy Greene, Oduya, Weekes, Zubrus, Fayne, Shanahan, Volchenkov (for 2 years at least), Hedberg, Kinkaid
Resign Martin, Elias, Greene, Parise, Henrique to decent contracts
Kovy for Cormier, Berglund+
Salvador for Jannsen
Zidlicky from MIN
Let Fayne, Gomez, Parise, Clarkson, Rafalski walk for overpriced UFA contracts
Ryan Carter from waivers

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Would be funny if Lou just leaves if he can't get Tavares to stay.

Be funny if he gets them to stay, and then turns the Isles around.

Whether or not he can be a good GM is certainly a tough question- whether or not he can head a hockey organization - even at his age, isn't in doubt. That was one hell of a turnaround for the Leafs since the summer of 2015.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Why do people feel like Lou should just go home and wait to die? It's obvious that work is what makes him happy, new challenges are what he lives for and that his life would be empty without that. As far as I'm concerned if he wants to keep going until he assumes room temperature more power to him.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
It was - Julien lost the team. Same with Ftorek with only weeks left in the season.

He fired MacLean after only 31 games. He replaced him with Jacques Lemaire.. You have a problem with this?

Since 2006:
Traded for Schneider
Drafted Henrique, Santini, Wood, Severson, Larsson (into Hall), Coleman
Signed Jagr, Andy Greene, Oduya, Weekes, Zubrus, Fayne, Shanahan, Volchenkov (for 2 years at least), Hedberg, Kinkaid
Resign Martin, Elias, Greene, Parise, Henrique to decent contracts
Kovy for Cormier, Berglund+
Salvador for Jannsen
Zidlicky from MIN
Let Fayne, Gomez, Parise, Clarkson, Rafalski walk for overpriced UFA contracts
Ryan Carter from waivers

ok lets see

some debate about trading the #9 for cory i personally wouldn't do it
henrique good. santini still hasn't cracked the club long term. wood is a 4th liner who is streaky as hell (and i love him) larsson into hall is shero. heck larrson probably not even the best d man in that draft
jagr good. greene woof on that contract. oduya meh ok guy. weekes couldn't even beat out clemenson when broduer got hurt. zubrus sucked and was a horrible replacement for gomez which is what he was. fayne another meh d man. shanahan was what 40 when brought in? volchenkov was ok but another crap contract that had to be bought out. hedberg ok goalie kinkiad ok goalie.
resigning parise and henrique when they were RFA and little leverage doesn't get a good job in my book.
kovy was great except it was beek that wanted him here.
salvador good pickup
zidlicky good pickup
you aren't suppose to let KEY FRANCHISE players REACH UFA to entertain those crazy dollar amounts. if you don't want them on your team then you trade them for some value.
ryan carter? uhhh ok.

yeah not really the track record that i would praise but hey to each their own!

and to mention about the coaching. yes firing julien at that point was the stupidest and worse thing lou could've done and he did it anyway. it worked out with ftorek because the team was insanely stacked. but he went to the well again and it backfired. julien winning a cup in boston also doesn't help the situation look good. also if the story for julien getting fired is true that madden was it? shot a puck at him? way to let the inmates run the prison lou! yes i do have a problem with maclean hiring in the first place. #1 you give the guy the job after a year in albany? then you bring in lemaire who said the team wasn't conditioned properly at all? how does lou not see this when watching the team daily? the coach is a direct reflection of the gm. if the coach isn't doing the job thats on the gm.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Why do people feel like Lou should just go home and wait to die? It's obvious that work is what makes him happy, new challenges are what he lives for and that his life would be empty without that. As far as I'm concerned if he wants to keep going until he assumes room temperature more power to him.

because he sucks now

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY

Agreed. Let the man do what he wants. I don't see how any of this is "embarrassing".

Reactions: JMadden11

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lou would be worth whatever the Isles are paying him just if he can get JT to stay plus booting Garth out of the GM spot, since it was pretty obvious JT was going FA before.

your right and firing julien with 10 games left in the season first in the division and conference i think was smart? not firing maclean sooner? even hiring maclean to begin with. this remember is from a hall of fame gm.

That team wasn't doing anything with Julien or Lou coaching, it was a boring Marty-led group that couldn't play with the top teams in the end...they won a round of the playoffs, it's not like they totally flamed out after the change but they weren't going to beat Ottawa either way.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Plus, going to the Islanders brings him closer to his son and family. It's a win win for him.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah I dont understand how people could find it embarrassing. He has earned the right to keep on doing the job that he loves, but personally I think he should retire for himself and his family. Though he is going to be working to the day he dies...which would suck for those that care about him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Plus, going to the Islanders brings him closer to his son and family. It's a win win for him.

Well it was already Newark East considering they had Chris Lams, Gomer, Terreri and a couple of castoff players there like Bernier and little Gio.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I'd be shocked if Tavares doesn't stay at this point.

No way Lou takes the job if ownership didn't tell him they'd make a compelling financial offer to Tavares.

So, the only thing in doubt is whether the Isles will build a winning culture / team. Lou will sell Tavares on this. How could he not. As much as people complain about Lou's last 10 years here, his team did go to the finals in 2012. That plus the turnaround in Toronto - it's gotta be night and day compared to what Tavares has seen in his career with the Islanders.

Reactions: Mgd31

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It does create an interesting power dynamic between Lou and Snow. Will Lou be able to sell Tavares that things will be different even if Snow is still GM? Does he straighten Snow out? Does Garth finally get canned?

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
ok lets see
some debate about trading the #9 for cory i personally wouldn't do it

I'm about as low on the Cory fanboy pole as you get, but I still think trading him for #9 was excellent value.

larsson into hall is shero. heck larrson probably not even the best d man in that draft

While Shero did the deal, the asset was Lou's - and granted Chiarelli got fleeced - still - Larsson at #4 was not a terrible pick and we still don't know what he'll end up being.

greene woof on that contract.
We got, what, 7, 8 years of #1 Dman play for under $5mil a year? Again, I'm on the side of Greene being a very good #3 defenseman, but he's held the fort at a ridiculous bargain basement price.

zubrus sucked and was a horrible replacement for gomez which is what he was.
fayne another meh d man.
shanahan was what 40 when brought in?
volchenkov was ok but another crap contract that had to be bought out.

This is all looking at the players in the last years of their time here - they were all valuable to this team for a time and helped us get to the SCF.

resigning parise and henrique when they were RFA and little leverage doesn't get a good job in my book.
Fair enough. How about Elias at UFA?

you aren't suppose to let KEY FRANCHISE players REACH UFA to entertain those crazy dollar amounts. if you don't want them on your team then you trade them for some value.
Like Tavares? Like Karlsson? Easier said than done, and what's more - look at the timing. When are you going to deal Parise, just before we run to the Cup? Did you want to sign Clarkson to that contract? Even if they got a super home-town discount, do you think we would've been better off with Clarkson for 7 years at 4.5m? That was a great bullet to dodge - and I LOVED the guy. Gomez?

ryan carter? uhhh ok.
Hey, all 4th liners in that playoff were key. C'mon man - not every deal is for a top6 guy.

and to mention about the coaching. yes firing julien at that point was the stupidest and worse thing lou could've done and he did it anyway. it
also if the story for julien getting fired is true that madden was it? shot a puck at him? way to let the inmates run the prison lou!
Ok - we just disagree here. Personally I think the team was going nowhere with him. So Julien got some excellent talent in Boston and proved to be a good coach. It wasn't just Madden - the whole team hated him - and they can't fire the whole team.

yes i do have a problem with maclean hiring in the first place. #1 you give the guy the job after a year in albany? then you bring in lemaire who said the team wasn't conditioned properly at all? how does lou not see this when watching the team daily? the coach is a direct reflection of the gm. if the coach isn't doing the job thats on the gm.

I get it if you weren't on board with the hiring to start. That's fine - I didn't think it was a great hire either. That said:he just re-evaluates on 10 game intervals. He wasn't going to fire him after 10. Maybe after 20 if it isn't the team's all-time leading scorer (would you fire Elias after 20? if he came back as coach?)

We just disagree man - he can still help a franchise turn a corner.

Reactions: nugg

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
It does create an interesting power dynamic between Lou and Snow. Will Lou be able to sell Tavares that things will be different even if Snow is still GM? Does he straighten Snow out? Does Garth finally get canned?

The talk is that Garth is unfireable because of the financial stipulations of his contract - he'd get a big payoff - so I don't know... great question.

If Lou is Lou, he just fires his ass or moves him aside.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If nothing else Lou brings credibility to the Islanders management, which is something they've sorely lacked for years. Say what you want to about his ability to build teams in the cap world (which I think is a mixed bag of results), but he's still Lou Lamoriello, and just the contacts he has throughout the hockey world alone are valuable to any team that hires him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce