News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't think Niemi is good, but I also don't think the pens are that great either. Fluery and Murray had to play out of their minds to allow them the chance to win the Cup last year. This is what happens when the goalies aren't amazing for the pens. Murray gave up a half dozen to the Hawks too. It's not like Niemi is the only one hemorrhaging goals over there.

Still, I agree with you. Niemi stinks. He looks very shaky on every shot. But it looks even worse playing behind the pens D.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Niemi is good, but I also don't think the pens are that great either. Fluery and Murray had to play out of their minds to allow them the chance to win the Cup last year. This is what happens when the goalies aren't amazing for the pens. Murray gave up a half dozen to the Hawks too. It's not like Niemi is the only one hemorrhaging goals over there.

Still, I agree with you. Niemi stinks. He looks very shaky on every shot. But it looks even worse playing behind the pens D.
Murray was fine playing behind the Pens D for 90+ games playoffs and regular season. He had a .925+ over that stretch, with over 30 of those games being playoff games. He's started off this season kind of weak, but that's just a bad 7 games. It's still astronomically better than Niemi has played.

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
Sorry if it was discussed somewhere but I just saw Parise is having back surgery. They say out 6-8 weeks? Ouch.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I feel for Zach. Everyone knew damn well that contract was going to be a mistake early on. His level of play was not sustainable, let alone for 13 years.

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
I feel for Zach. Everyone knew damn well that contract was going to be a mistake early on. His level of play was not sustainable, let alone for 13 years.
Yeah, I really like the guy and looking back I honestly would've been okay with like a 5 year deal or something... but he wasn't always the fastest skater and it seems the league is catching up with him now. He's nothing more than a good 3rd liner at this point as far as I can tell...

Edit: just saw he's out an estimated 8-10 weeks. So could be over 2 months of recovery.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/21051826/nhl-why-nhl-adopt-new-stanley-cup-playoffs-format

I actually had this thought many years ago. I think getting to choose your playoff opponent is a good reward for finishing with a high seed.

It would make hotel and flight arrangements tough though.

LOL noway that is a horrible idea. the parity of the nhl it wouldn't even really make a difference. just would cause more heartache and anger from the fans if the team chose the wrong matchup.

what they could do to try and help and not really make it radical is the higher seed in the matchup can choose to start the series at home how it is now or start out on the road and then still get game 7 at home. not sure if that would make a difference or if teams would even want to do that.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Am I the only one who finds Divisions kind of pointless? Just have an Eastern and Western conference, top 8 teams go to the playoffs, seeded 1-8. No reason to make it any more complicated.

I don't like how division playoff brackets often let weaker teams in, and how we're seeing the same playoff matchups every year.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
His elite status is toast, and I'd argue it has been for a calendar year. He's still a good goaltender though, and it's been NYR's mission to win a Cup with him in net. That window is closing fast. Inaction with AV would slam it shut.

What a mess.
which is exactly what got the devils in trouble with broduer chasing that final cup win and playoff appearance year after year

Anyone throwing 9-10 millions on a goaltender is a stupid idiot. Yes, as good as Price is, it's a dumb decision.

Goaltender can only do so much to win, paying him 10 million a year is a waste of cap space and resources. Montreal would've been better off trading Carey for a huge return. They would be a better team with the assets that Price would've fetched than with Price on the team.

If anyone disagree, I'll fight you
except i really dont think price or any top goalie would return a massive package in a trade. goalies just aren't "worth" what people think they are when trades happen.

Am I the only one who finds Divisions kind of pointless? Just have an Eastern and Western conference, top 8 teams go to the playoffs, seeded 1-8. No reason to make it any more complicated.

I don't like how division playoff brackets often let weaker teams in, and how we're seeing the same playoff matchups every year.

you want to get radical? they should just split the league into two like baseball. it would quit the constant complaining about travel and i think make for a legit cup final. they would never do it of course but i wouldn't mind it

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
you want to get radical? they should just split the league into two like baseball. it would quit the constant complaining about travel and i think make for a legit cup final. they would never do it of course but i wouldn't mind it

I would hate separate leagues. I'd get so tired of playing the same 15 teams over and over while missing out on the other half of the league. I think it's important that every team visit every other team. I wish we could see more inter-conference play, but travel is an issue of course.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I would hate separate leagues. I'd get so tired of playing the same 15 teams over and over while missing out on the other half of the league. I think it's important that every team visit every other team. I wish we could see more inter-conference play, but travel is an issue of course.

i never understood the "every team visit" we live in the world of 24/7 access to everything its not the 80s when you couldn't see wayne playing on the west coast unless he came to play in nj.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i never understood the "every team visit" we live in the world of 24/7 access to everything its not the 80s when you couldn't see wayne playing on the west coast unless he came to play in nj.

It's not a big deal on TV but a lot of fans do want to see Crosby/McDavid/etc live.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
LOL noway that is a horrible idea. the parity of the nhl it wouldn't even really make a difference. just would cause more heartache and anger from the fans if the team chose the wrong matchup.

Or it lets a top seed not match up with a low seed who just got a superstar back that missed half a season. Or rewards a top seed by letting them choose who they want to play.

It’s stupid when teams are arguing that losing their last game or 2 would be beneficial so they drop in the seeding to get a matchup they’d prefer.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
It's not a big deal on TV but a lot of fans do want to see Crosby/McDavid/etc live.

i get that aspect of it but realistically people want to see mcdavid? whats the pru center hold? 18,000? only 18,000 people in nj can see him every year.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Also . . .
IMG25034969.jpg

Reactions: MadDog172430

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
With Marchessault coming back from IR, Vegas has to make a move. Rather than waiving one of their 500 bum defenders, they send Shipachyov to the AHL again.

I find this baffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad