News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He was a part of the, "all the defensemen are mine" strategy.

And Stoner (also a defenseman) came with Theodore in one of those exansion bribery packages that I think should be illegal.
But Vegas taking Theodore made sense given he is a good looking young defensemen. But sticking him in the minors is ridiculous. I guess they have communicated to him it's only a short term thing, but man, that's one I find hard to figure.

Meanwhile we have Mueller and we can't send him to the minors.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And eight points in 14 playoff games last year...so yeah that's actually worse than Shipchaynkov in a way. They need to clear out multiple guys to make room for Theodore which is ridiculous. But they're not trading him, McPhee may be obtuse and thickheaded but he isn't stupid.
Just looking at Vegas's record, and some of the young talent they have both in Vegas and the in Chicago, I have to think the criticism on McPhee is unjust. Yes they are jammed up worse then that time I stopped drinking coffee, but it really is a short term situation.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
But Vegas taking Theodore made sense given he is a good looking young defensemen. But sticking him in the minors is ridiculous. I guess they have communicated to him it's only a short term thing, but man, that's one I find hard to figure.

It's because they have 482 defensemen.

I just looked at Cap Geek, and what' interesting is that of the 10 defensemen on their salary cap, 7 of them are either RFA or UFA this season. George McPhee is is waiting for injuries and then in February he's going to trade D-men & try to grab up 2nd & 3rd round draft picks like....

Wuk_ej.gif

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
What a shock, the smear campaign has started in Montreal. So which "good old Canadian boy" does Galchenyuk get traded for?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Man it has got to suck to be a hockey player under the light of Canadian media sometimes.. Does seem like a narrative trying to disservice him..

This is what they do though. When they want someone out they’ll slander him at any chance they get, ESPECIALLY if he’s not Canadien.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

lol of course they are

Brilliant move on McPhee's part.

If HE cant manage to trade one of his 3,487,014 defensemen, perhaps the defenseman can trade themselves!

Well Ship is a forward, it's just the defenseman hoarding that's keeping him in the minors since they only have room for 12 forwards, and most of them would have to go through waivers too other than Tuch I think, who is playing a lot better atm.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
From the sounds of it, Shipachyov simply got outplayed by other forwards as well. So there might be a little buyer's remorse from the Vegas side.

Another reporter mentioned that the adjustment for the family hasn't been smooth either. It hasn't been too unusual to see some of the older Europeans have a harder time than the guys who sign when they're younger.

Will be interesting to see if there's a trade fit. Handful of teams have cap space, but I don't know if they have the budget and/or would want to lose that space this far in advance from the deadline. Vegas might simply hope that Shipachyov agrees to terminate the deal.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
It's because they have 482 defensemen.

I just looked at Cap Geek, and what' interesting is that of the 10 defensemen on their salary cap, 7 of them are either RFA or UFA this season. George McPhee is is waiting for injuries and then in February he's going to trade D-men & try to grab up 2nd & 3rd round draft picks like....

Wuk_ej.gif

OT, but the trick in that gif is to find out where the air is coming in and block it……strip down your f***ing jeans and sweater and block with the material

then the money falls and you eat it up

/OT

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
My only concern is that McPhee devalues rental defenders so much that we get only a low round pick for Moore rather than the third I had fantasized about.

Come February, George McPhee is going to be the Opera Winfrey of NHL defensemen.

1y9jb3.jpg

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Galchenyuk for Shipachyev +?

Seems like it's ideal for both. MTL was interested in Ship. Galchenyuk gets a chance where he will get a long leash and out of the spotlight of MTL.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My only concern is that McPhee devalues rental defenders so much that we get only a low round pick for Moore rather than the third I had fantasized about.

If we're still in the playoff race late February you might not have to worry about that anyway. I get trading Stemp a couple years ago but at some point they have to keep their chips and go for a playoff berth rather than get maybe a 2 for Stafford (if he has a good year) and a 3 for Moore.

Galchenyuk for Shipachyev +?

Seems like it's ideal for both. MTL was interested in Ship. Galchenyuk gets a chance where he will get a long leash and out of the spotlight of MTL.

It'd have to be a pretty significant plus given Galchenyuk's more proven and younger. Then again it's Bergevin so who knows...

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It'd have to be a pretty significant plus given Galchenyuk's more proven and younger.

That's obviously the issue. MTL is taking on almost all of the risk in that hypothetical.

Vegas also doesn't have any expendable assets either so I'm not sure how they balance the scales. A conditional first/second dependent on Shipachyov's production? That's the closest thing I can think of.

The Galchenyuk-MTL relationship seems ridiculously toxic at this point.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
If we're still in the playoff race late February you might not have to worry about that anyway.

Good point. I dont think the Devils make the playoffs, but they could be bubble-enough that they cant be sellers.

In any event, if they are sellers, Lovejoy should be the focus; he has another year left and he makes $1M more than Moore, who actually is somewhat useful.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Good point. I dont think the Devils make the playoffs, but they could be bubble-enough that they cant be sellers.

In any event, if they are sellers, Lovejoy should be the focus; he has another year left and he makes $1M more than Moore, who actually is somewhat useful.

Are you folks taking crazy pills? Where else do we get the extra picks to steal a good player with the Shero special? Do you want to watch Arizona and Colorado get someone else’s soon to be late year RFA on a cap strapped team because that is how you watch Arizona and Colorado get someone else’s soon to be late year RFA on a cap strapped team.

J/k and I get what you are saying but I still think the Devils are in a talent adding phase and I would not waste the opportunity to add seconds or thirds to maybe try a run at the last playoff spot this season. I don’t think Moore or STAFFORD would be the difference makers for that to happen anyway. To sniff the playoffs the team needs more from top players not named Hall or Hischier.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If Butcher is still producing points at a solid rate it might also make Moore a little more expendable come trade deadline. Although I wouldn't be shocked if we keep him and then re-sign him either.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That's obviously the issue. MTL is taking on almost all of the risk in that hypothetical.

Vegas also doesn't have any expendable assets either so I'm not sure how they balance the scales. A conditional first/second dependent on Shipachyov's production? That's the closest thing I can think of.

The Galchenyuk-MTL relationship seems ridiculously toxic at this point.

It's the Subban situation all over again. They sure like to run good players out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad